• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I was watching Gamexplain's video and I saw that the kunais now travel all the way to the edge of the screen. It wasn't like that in the Japanese version, right? Or I am having a brain fart?
Perhaps they changed that to make the game easier?
I think you need to get the Bow powerup in order for that to work. My projectiles had shot normally before I've even uncover a single bow during my first playthrough.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I was watching Gamexplain's video and I saw that the kunais now travel all the way to the edge of the screen. It wasn't like that in the Japanese version, right? Or I am having a brain fart?
Perhaps they changed that to make the game easier?
There's a video?

Edit: Just saw it on the previous page, kickass. More visibility and support for our boy! :D

I was actually wondering about this since I remembered that flames and vanilla knives are supposed to have the same range but that wasn't the case playing this version. Not that I mind though, some of this stuff would be insanity mode without that change. I barely scraped myself out out Aosame-jo moments ago despite playing on again/off again from noon. I was really sucking at getting a good groove going versus the first castle boss. lol

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
There's a video?

I was actually wondering about this since I remembered that flames and vanilla knives are supposed to have the same range but that wasn't the case playing this version. Not that I mind though, some of this stuff would be insanity mode without that change. I barely scraped myself out out Aosame-jo moments ago despite playing on again/off again from noon. I was really sucking at getting a good groove going versus the first castle boss. lol
Yeah, GameXplain advertised it as a part of their Game & Watch periods.

To beat the first boss, get the Rook Shogi piece towards the far right of the level for three way shots and the Fireball powerup for double the damage. The thing is that you have to avoid getting a Game Over so that you can keep such a useful combo.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Yeah, GameXplain advertised it as a part of their Game & Watch periods.

To beat the first boss, get the Rook Shogi piece towards the far right of the level for three way shots and the Fireball powerup for double the damage. The thing is that you have to avoid getting a Game Over so that you can keep such a useful combo.
You know, I kinda figured this was the right thing to do when the Rook Windmill Swords would clank against his bomb toss move, but I actually got through that castle using single shot flames (yay no clanking).

This stuff is actually making me very happy with how my Takamaru move set for the Project M thread looks by the way. It's very authentic.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ryokusame is quite the trickster, and his green ninjas are still as annoying as I've remembered. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo rebooted this game into a Dark Souls clone. :troll:

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Day 2 and I'm trying to figure out how to get out of the upper forest most area of the field before the second castle while holding on to the King Flame combo and Inazuma Lightning (holy **** this powerup is good). lol

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Day 2 and I'm trying to figure out how to get out of the upper forest most area of the field before the second castle while holding on to the King Flame combo and Inazuma Lightning (holy **** this powerup is good). lol
Well I'm in Momosame Castle while trying to figure out how to keep the Rook Windmill combo and Invisibility Cloak and surviving the other half of the outskirts. The number of flying ninjas and tengu there is as bad as the enemies in Zelda II's *in Fawful's Minion's voice* Mount Ragequit Death Mountain. :laugh:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well I'm in Momosame Castle while trying to figure out how to keep the Rook Windmill combo and Invisibility Cloak and surviving the other half of the outskirts. The number of flying ninjas and tengu there is as bad as the enemies in Zelda II's *in Fawful's Minion's voice* Mount Ragequit Death Mountain. :laugh:
I've always found Murasame to be a bit easier than Zelda II, however, that could be just me being horrible at side scrolling games like Zelda II.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Haven't gotten a chance to play much, but I've been doing my best to get more people interested in Takamaru in the clone engine thread. Thanks to all the guys here that helped out or dropped a vote. :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've beat it...
For my third time.:laugh:
Ironically I've done so too about 8 minutes ago. It was quite fun and very challenging though the controls definitely made things feel more natural.

For some odd reason, many people want Next Level games to do a reboot despite the fact that a Western developer would have to do loads of research on Japanese culture and history in order to pull it off. Sure they made many good games like Punch Out Wii and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, but I would rather have a Japanese developer work on a reboot to make things flawless.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ironically I've done so too about 8 minutes ago. It was quite fun and very challenging though the controls definitely made things feel more natural.

For some odd reason, many people want Next Level games to do a reboot despite the fact that a Western developer would have to do loads of research on Japanese culture and history in order to pull it off. Sure they made many good games like Punch Out Wii and Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, but I would rather have a Japanese developer work on a reboot to make things flawless.
Level-5?

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

Next Level (and Retro) seem like way better fits for something like StarTropics. Leave the samurai action to Nintendo EAD themselves or Platinum if they can collaborate with Kamiya and some of the folks behind Murasame's initial design (Miyamoto maybe?).

That said, I'm curious to see where people are bringing up letting Next Level do something with MMC. Shows that there's western voices backing the franchise now and I'm happy to hear that.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've been hearing about Level-5's Yokai Watch for a while and it turned out to be quite the success. They sound pretty plausible, but I think they should have someone famous with Japanese art help out since I'd doubt that their current artstyle would suit the game's mood.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I finally made it to the first castle. Damn those floating heads... I even got to the first boss but I lost because I already had one HP left and no more lives. I'll try again tomorrow when I'm not tired or sleepy.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Murasame Castle gets a revival, I hope it is like Okami except with a samurai instead of a wolf. :awesome:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If Murasame Castle gets a revival, I hope it is like Okami except with a samurai instead of a wolf. :awesome:
Huge world, great plot, quirky humor, loads of Japanese references, massive boss fights, sexy females, and lovely music. Nintendo doing such a thing is a MUST since we are tired of seeing the usual Zelda and Mario.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Personally I'd dislike that, we already have Zelda we don't need another one...

Personally I'd like it to be a rogue-like (probably more akin to Binding of Isaac than actual Rogue), they could keep the same basically game play and just crank it up to eleven with randomized power-ups and enemies...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Personally I'd like it to be a rogue-like (probably more akin to Binding of Isaac than actual Rogue), they could keep the same basically game play and just crank it up to eleven with randomized power-ups and enemies...
I'm not really sure that would benefit Mysterious Murasame Castle. Most of the original game is based on rogue memorisation and pattern recognition, so I guess the Souls series is the closest modern equivalent to it.

But I dunno. Action games aren't as much of niche genre any more, especially 3D ones, but making a Souls clone would also detract from the uniqueness of the IP. Not to mention Souls is a very specific niche that is already filled, and most fans of that style of gameplay wouldn't play a game just because it's similar to it.

Since a lot of of the combat of Murasame Castle focuses on dodging and timing, I could see it working in a 3D environment if it used a combat system akin to the (first two) modern Ninja Gaiden games. Maybe it could be structured like Ninja Gaiden Black, which actually had pretty open level design, albeit with a few more branching paths.

I think if they can prove their worth again, Team Ninja could be a good fit for Murasame Castle. While they've had their blunders in recent years, the Ninja Gaiden 3 remake for Wii U was a modest effort to make the game a little more tolerable, and while it still wasn't good, at least they managed to make the core combat functional. They've still got some talent in there somewhere, they just need a better sense of direction. Team Ninja also has a very Japanese sense of style, that could fit well and enhance the series. Koei Tecmo seems to be the only developer actively supporting Wii U at the moment, and if we want a glorious HD revival for Murasame Castle, it would be logical to give the rights to them.

whoa that was a tangent

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
whoa that was a tangent

Yeah, especially as I never mentioned anything like Demon Souls... Heck, I never mentioned a 3D game, I envision MMS staying top-down.

I'm not sure if I'm mis-understanding your tangent or if you're misunderstanding what a rogue-like is but somewhere there's a communication issue.

The souls games aren't roguelike! They are about as far removed from rogue-likes as possible. They're more like Metroidvania, where you travel about a preset world trying to find the easiest route to do things and memorising what to do... the only thing similar to roguelikes is the death-count, and even then it's not perma-death ending your run, your progress is still saved.

Rogue-likes are not like this. Rogue-likes have randomised dungeons, with random rooms, random enemies and random enemy placement. You travel through this collecting randomised equipment and power-ups giving random abilities for each of the randomly sellected challenges you face (such as randomised bosses). There is no memorisation! Moreover roguelikes have permanent death, where when you die you loose your progress and all the equipment you managed to find in this run is lost so you've gotta start again with different random events.

In MMS you could have some level of continuation I guess by having multiple castles of varying difficulty unlock as you beat the last, but I think the basic principles of a rogue-like would fit pretty well. You go to a castle which is randomised and have to explore and fight your way to conquer it with whatever (random) equipment you find. Each run is different, making it more re-playable and giving it more content, but ultimately it can keep the frantic game play of the original intact, but moreso because you can't memorise the map... basically every time you play it'll be fun as the first time you played MMS, except this time you'll be slightly better at the game...

ThatShadowLink

Smash Ace
NNID
ThatShadowLink
Oh no, I'm very aware of what a rogue-like is. I just don't think that would really mesh well with the style of memorisation that's synonymous with Murasame Castle. Not to mention, rogue-likes tend to have varying quality of level design, due to the randomisation of assets, and are usually a very niche category of games. My tangent about 3D action games was not really a response to your post, just my own take on the subject.

Last edited:

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Fair play, understood.

I personally disagree, and feel this game is no more synonymous with memorisation than almost anything of it's day (seriously, Zelda, Metroid... all about memorisation) and they have gone on to become something else...

But if they want to do a game about memorisation the only really valid way to do it is with a Danmaku... sure they could copy souls, but 1. souls already exists, and 2. this is Nintendo; you really think the people who put an invincibility power into 3D world would make a game that's designed to kill you every few minutes so you have to try again? If they didn't do that it wouldn't work as a game of memorisation 'cos you'd just save your game and move on...

As for Rogue-like being a niche genre... so are memorisation base games... but again, this is Nintendo, practically the only company that still makes platformers, that are still making Metroidvania games (Castlevania is now a God of War clone thanks to Lords of Shadow)... heck they even made a Tower Defense game with Dillon's Rolling Western... they redefine the Niche, it's what they do.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I wouldn't mind the series going the roguelike route since I've played several games in that genre (like Izuna: The Unemplayed Ninja). One thing that must be considered is keep the high difficulty, but not to dumb it down too much for the sake of appealing to casuals. If they managed to pull off some great visuals and have an interesting plot, then it could turn out to be a great non-digital only game like a Link Between Two Worlds (the one game that had proven that top viewed games are still in the market).

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've lurked on this thread for a while and just decided to get an account; its a real shame Takamaru is an AT this time around but like many of you I'm supporting Murasame by buying the eshop release and I'm hopeful for his Smash 5 debut! I was wondering, since I've seen many of you talk about one, how likely do you actually consider a reboot after all of the attention this game has gotten in Nintendoland, Smash 4, and Comic Con?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like that the original game's style is ShinobiXzelda. And I think any future Murasame tiles should be the same.
Turning it into a beat em up with swords just isn't going to cut it. I know Kid Icarus got retooled into a Sin & Punishment esque game and it somehow managed to work. But I'd be more interested if it was kept as it is, and expanded on it. Maybe add missions to each level, or something.

BTW, I have a gut feeling that Murasame Castle could be the next franchise touched by Sakurai's magic. It just dawned on me now. Do you know how lucky MMC would be if that happened? (Or heck any series. I've secretly longed that Sakurai would take up StarTropics for a 3rd game, and the ammount of attention it would get would be off the charts, and it would go from zero to hero in an instant).

But it is MUCH more likely for Sakurai to work on MMC instead, being a Japanese game and all. Not to mention, there's much mythology to play around there as well. :,D

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Didn't Kamiya say that he wanted to work on a Muramase sequel?mHe will mostly likely be the director of that game if it ever happens.
Well, he did. But that doesn't mean it'll happen. He also said he wanted to make a Star Fox in the same interview, and now Miyamoto is doing it. :p

I think Kamiya would make a swell job.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, he did. But that doesn't mean it'll happen. He also said he wanted to make a Star Fox in the same interview, and now Miyamoto is doing it. :p

I think Kamiya would make a swell job.
Inb4 Kamiya says that he'll ban all Murasame Castle dumbasses. :troll:

Then again, I'd doubt anyone would be dumb enough to pressure him about it only for him to give up on it like what happened with Star Fox (though Miyamoto was working on it all this time behind our backs :p).

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Playing Muramase Castle, this game is so fun! Not as difficult as I thought I would be,
Oh believe me, you'll definitely reconsider than soon as you reach Ryokusame, Momosame, and Murasame's Castles soon. IT's still a pretty fun game regardless of its challenging puzzles and difficulty spikes. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom