• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Best way to pressure development is to making him playable actually.
"sorry keeped you waiting" right now anything can happen, including never have a reboot :/
Believe, believe like the Mac and Saki fanbases and how they got new games (Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and Punch Out Wii). Also, we have to see how well the 3DS VC port sells first before we make the final verdict or even start buying the games (IF we will also get the Wii U VC port) altogether.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As saddened as I am from seeing that miiverse post, I'm at least glad the Japanese fans are calling him out on it on full force regarding what he wrote on miiverse. That, and I'm no longer emotionally invested in the series as I was.

The "FYI" thing is the same for the Japanese translation; with the same negative connotation as well towards the die hard fans. You can't help that people are mad over that, they had every right to complain on twitter for the subtle slap across the face.

Here's to hoping the next installment goes back to Hal labs. They at least know how to please without going overboard.
So Takamaru's reveal was kinda like Japan's version of Waluigi's reveal since both received a lot of negative reception.

waluigi+takamarufornextsmashletsgo

Last edited:

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
Maybe Sakurai is a ladies man that wanted to please all the people whining for "moar female characters". At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain orange wearing princess was added for the same reason. But hey, we can't be too old enough to be gamers by then since the average gamer is 30 years old.
This genuinely worries me if Krystal gets in.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Believe, believe like the Mac and Saki fanbases and how they got new games (Sin & Punishment: Star Successor and Punch Out Wii). Also, we have to see how well the 3DS VC port sells first before we make the final verdict or even start buying the games (IF we will also get the Wii U VC port) altogether.
Fans are being heared a lot this recent years, im sure we are going to have a comeback ;D

Is just a possibility we cant ignore, NOA never is succefull when comes to read the fans (mother 3, operation rainfall... ), but japan always do what they want and people loves it, so why wait?
I dont get it, really, what exactly are they waiting?... i am a bit depressed anyways :lick:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I think if they do DLC Takamarus first in the line.

Especially since
I highly doubt Sakurai would go out of his way to make someone who's already an Assist in-game and make him/her a DLC fighter later on. Besides, I can't think of anyone who could replace his role. Most of the Daimyo threw explosives as opposed to large, blade projectiles at their foes while a ninja would throw projectiles that are too small to be effective.

Last edited:

Burigu

Smash Ace
Before anything my condolences to Takamaru fans, we always need to take this kind of "hints" with a grain of salt.

But other than that I have been reading the last page about the negative reaction to Takamaru's deconfirmation in Japan. There are somethings to consider and not really go around thinking everyone is pissed, there is always the posibility that a minority is so vocal about it that made it seems everyone is pissed, and I am not saying they shouldn't be.

The thing here is it doesn't matter what characters are confirmed or disconfirmed, there is always going to be people pissed or mad because their characters didn't make to the game, despite being "obvious" choices, in that regard I prefer to stay on the pesimistic spectrum about the characters I want, in this case I fully supported Palutena and she was the reason I joined the site, even with the 3ds leaks and gematsu I was always exceptical about it until the actual confirmation happened. Lucina was more of a pipe dream and was my 2nd right behind Palutena, but I never ever expected her, she was a surprise.

If you go to the rate thread and check saturday, lots of people put Takamaru with such high scores because of the game reveal only to saw Takamaru deconfirmed yesterday. What I am trying to say is that sometimes it's better to be pesimistic that way expectations wouldn't be crushed so hard.

About that Lyn incident I don't know if it is real or an urban legend since that specific game is way more popular here than in Japan but I have to say there are more things in live than characters getting confirmed in a game.

We should be thankful with Sakurai for even bringing us the posibility to play this outstanding series, without him we shouldn't be here today, that is a part that I dislike of some people in general, it is always easier to point out the bad things, instead of being grateful.

But you have hope guys/girls Takamaru NOW stands a REAL shot for the next game, so I wish you luck :colorful:

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Before anything my condolences to Takamaru fans, we always need to take this kind of "hints" with a grain of salt.

But other than that I have been reading the last page about the negative reaction to Takamaru's deconfirmation in Japan. There are somethings to consider and not really go around thinking everyone is pissed, there is always the posibility that a minority is so vocal about it that made it seems everyone is pissed, and I am not saying they shouldn't be.

The thing here is it doesn't matter what characters are confirmed or disconfirmed, there is always going to be people pissed or mad because their characters didn't make to the game, despite being "obvious" choices, in that regard I prefer to stay on the pesimistic spectrum about the characters I want, in this case I fully supported Palutena and she was the reason I joined the site, even with the 3ds leaks and gematsu I was always exceptical about it until the actual confirmation happened. Lucina was more of a pipe dream and was my 2nd right behind Palutena, but I never ever expected her, she was a surprise.

If you go to the rate thread and check saturday, lots of people put Takamaru with such high scores because of the game reveal only to saw Takamaru deconfirmed yesterday. What I am trying to say is that sometimes it's better to be pesimistic that way expectations wouldn't be crushed so hard.

About that Lyn incident I don't know if it is real or an urban legend since that specific game is way more popular here than in Japan but I have to say there are more things in live than characters getting confirmed in a game.

We should be thankful with Sakurai for even bringing us the posibility to play this outstanding series, without him we shouldn't be here today, that is a part that I dislike of some people in general, it is always easier to point out the bad things, instead of being grateful.

But you have hope guys/girls Takamaru NOW stands a REAL shot for the next game, so I wish you luck :colorful:
They are negative because they have unrealistic expectations of the game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Pac-Man is as retro as you can get. Plus, Super Smash Bros. N64 didn't have a retro character, so it's not like it's a tradition to have an old school playable character in every game.
Pac-Man has been more active than half the playable cast as of late. Ever heard of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures? And the point of a "retro" character is to bring back a forgotten Nintendo character. Pac-Man is a third party.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

But other than that I have been reading the last page about the negative reaction to Takamaru's deconfirmation in Japan. There are somethings to consider and not really go around thinking everyone is pissed, there is always the possibility that a minority is so vocal about it that made it seems everyone is pissed, and I am not saying they shouldn't be.

The thing here is it doesn't matter what characters are confirmed or disconfirmed, there is always going to be people pissed or mad because their characters didn't make to the game, despite being "obvious" choices, in that regard I prefer to stay on the pessimistic spectrum about the characters I want, in this case I fully supported Palutena and she was the reason I joined the site, even with the 3DS leaks and Gematsu I was always exceptional about it until the actual confirmation happened. Lucina was more of a pipe dream and was my 2nd right behind Palutena, but I never ever expected her, she was a surprise.

If you go to the rate thread and check Saturday, lots of people put Takamaru with such high scores because of the game reveal only to saw Takamaru deconfirmed yesterday. What I am trying to say is that sometimes it's better to be pessimistic that way expectations wouldn't be crushed so hard.

We should be thankful with Sakurai for even bringing us the possibility to play this outstanding series, without him we shouldn't be here today, that is a part that I dislike of some people in general, it is always easier to point out the bad things, instead of being grateful.

And thus the main definition of a "Broken Base" where there is one side where everyone agrees with a situation in the fandom or another side that disagrees. This cycle repeats itself for every fandom, most notably the Sonic fanbase, and we should all learn to live with it. We should accept that certain things happen and take something positive about about instead going "Woe is me!" like that Lyn fangirl or any other Sonic fan.

I can understand that people can be sad about a video game, but losing your own life for that game is just beyond insane. Besides, Sakurai knows how popular Smash is and he will always be the one to milk it until the day he retires or even dies. That way, people can still look forward to whatever character they want to make it in the next round. If a certain boxer got to have another chance, then the same thing applies to every other character that's disconfirmed regardless of their "chances". Hell, being an Assist Trophy is better than being a simple trophy or sticker that will never be found interesting and easily forgotten.

Thanks for wishing us all luck, fellow ex-Palutena supporter.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Pac-Man has been more active than half the playable cast as of late. Ever heard of Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures? And the point of a "retro" character is to bring back a forgotten Nintendo character. Pac-Man is a third party.
So pretty much that means:

• Lip
  • Donbe & Hikari
  • Prince Sable
  • Excite Biker
  • Mach Rider
  • Balloon Fighter
  • Mike Jones
  • Pilot Wings
  • Muddy Mole
  • Diskun
  • Ayumi Tachibana
  • Mr. Sheriff
  • Duck Hunt Dog
  • Bubbles

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
to be fair, Takamaru has appeared in more games than both Robin and Lucina (and technically even palutena) in some form.
This is true, but Lucina and Robin are more well known. Most people don't even know who Takamaru is, however Lucina was plastered all over the place when Awakening was released. Sad, but true (maybe not true for smashboards, but I'm talking in general)

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
I highly doubt Sakurai would go out of his way to make someone who's already an Assist in-game and make him/her a DLC fighter later on. Besides, I can't think of anyone who could replace his role. Most of the Daimyo threw explosives as opposed to large, blade projectiles at their foes while a ninja would throw projectiles that are too small to be effective.
I mean that if a new game releases, now that Nintendo can do DLC, he could be added in and when he's on stage he doesn't appear as an assist.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
My condolences guys, he really did seem like such an obvious choice. Considering some of the other characters appearing as Assist Trophies, he's in good company. And I think there's more Nazo no Murasame Jou on the horizon, so he's in prime position to be the Little Mac of the next generation of Smash.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I mean that if a new game releases, now that Nintendo can do DLC, he could be added in and when he's on stage he doesn't appear as an assist.
Ah, now I get what you're saying. A promotion like what happened with Little Mac (even though many have suggested this before :laugh:)? I agree, next round will be even better when Nintendo is capable of even more technology for their next big console. Was just a little too distracted to get you earlier.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
This does seem like wishful thinking, but it does make a certain amount of sense that if we do get DLC characters (something only disconfirmed leaks have suggested), to use characters who already have a model on disc. Failing that, it seems like the Wii U is moddable, so we may start seeing the community releasing its own "dlc" within a couple years.

Handy Man

Smash Ace
Of course I have, but that Pac-Man is a completely different incarnation. Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is just some dweeb high school kid with lame elemental powers, the Pac-Man in Smash is a classic retro character full of charm and nostalgia.

Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is very much relevant by today's standards, but classic Pac-Man rarely gets any games anymore. Plus, if Ghostly Adventures Pac was in this game instead, his moveset would revolve around turning into different powers like Charmelon Pac-Man and Boulder Pac-Man. They're almost like completely different characters.

Also, where in the world did you get the idea that retro characters have to be from Nintendo? I have never heard of anyone say "Nintendo retro character" before, just "retro character". That implies that a retro character can be anyone from Takamaru to Alex Kidd, the both of which haven't had a brand new game in a long time, therefore making them retro. There hasn't been a precedent for all retro characters being Nintendo characters, so classic Pac-Man could definitely still count as the retro character. If he isn't a classic retro character, then I don't know who is.

King Orfut

Smash Cadet
The fact that that clone ass Lucina made it in on a whim and Takamaru didn't even get a second glance dumbfounds me...

Oh well, onto the Lip thread..

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

I do hope you understand that both of your top two got confirmed to be playable, and many here have had their favorite deconfirmed. We shouldn't be angry at sakurai, but people are upset, and that's ok; I know how they feel.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So what's everyone doing now? Also, what becomes of support threads after disconfirmations?
Support threads stick around until they're all ultimately nuked within a few days after the final roster is confirmed. Before then, it really depends on the fanbase. Some talk about other playable opportunities in the future, some pack up entirely and largely fade into obscurity, some go ahead and talk about the prospects of the next Smash, some go on angry rants until they burn themselves out, etc. Heading into the homestretch, Shulk, Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo, Krystal, Bandana Dee, Chrom, Takamaru, Issac, and Dixie were the main contenders so there's probably a decent chance that these fan bases will be back for the next installment if they are not playable in this game.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
They are deleted?

Of course I have, but that Pac-Man is a completely different incarnation. Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is just some dweeb high school kid with lame elemental powers, the Pac-Man in Smash is a classic retro character full of charm and nostalgia.

Ghostly Adventures Pac-Man is very much relevant by today's standards, but classic Pac-Man rarely gets any games anymore. Plus, if Ghostly Adventures Pac was in this game instead, his moveset would revolve around turning into different powers like Charmelon Pac-Man and Boulder Pac-Man. They're almost like completely different characters.

Also, where in the world did you get the idea that retro characters have to be from Nintendo? I have never heard of anyone say "Nintendo retro character" before, just "retro character". That implies that a retro character can be anyone from Takamaru to Alex Kidd, the both of which haven't had a brand new game in a long time, therefore making them retro. There hasn't been a precedent for all retro characters being Nintendo characters, so classic Pac-Man could definitely still count as the retro character. If he isn't a classic retro character, then I don't know who is.
Last classic pacman appareance was in "pacman championship edition" on 2010.
Again, we want a retro nintendo rep, thats what we mean :p pacman only represents himself, not older nintendo times.

I do hope you understand that both of your top two got confirmed to be playable, and many here have had their favorite deconfirmed. We shouldn't be angry at sakurai, but people are upset, and that's ok; I know how they feel.
Burigu's point is that no one is a "shoe in", and believe it and take it too far never ends well.

Starfy... :'(

Burigu

Smash Ace
I am aware of that and I said people are complaining and with a good reason, I just pointed out people sometimes put to much attention about what they aren't getting than they already have. Sometimes is better to count your blessings, Takamaru might not be playable this time around but you were put in the right direction, I am going to be honest I never understood why Takamaru was the defacto "retro" for this game acording to so many people, appart for the concept and the retro revival argument I didn't see to much pointing to him. But now is different Takamaru is in smash now, if he continues to get attention like this, he certainly has a much better shot, for the next game

And thus the main definition of a "Broken Base" where there is one side where everyone agrees with a situation in the fandom or another side that disagrees. This cycle repeats itself for every fandom, most notably the Sonic fanbase, and we should all learn to live with it. We should accept that certain things happen and take something positive about about instead going "Woe is me!" like that Lyn fangirl or any other Sonic fan.

I can understand that people can be sad about a video game, but losing your own life for that game is just beyond insane. Besides, Sakurai knows how popular Smash is and he will always be the one to milk it until the day he retires or even dies. That way, people can still look forward to whatever character they want to make it in the next round. If a certain boxer got to have another chance, then the same thing applies to every other character that's disconfirmed regardless of their "chances". Hell, being an Assist Trophy is better than being a simple trophy or sticker that will never be found interesting and easily forgotten.

Thanks for wishing us all luck, fellow ex-Palutena supporter.
I agree completely and you are welcome!

Burigu's point is that no one is a "shoe in", and believe it and take it too far never ends well.

Starfy... :'(
You got it, that is what I was trying to say.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
They are deleted?
Actually, they're locked but, that's the thing, the entire board is locked aside from the confirmed characters. People are given about two days to get a few final words in before character support threads are strictly forbidden until the next Smash Bros is what I like to call "pseudo-announced." Brawl was technically announced in 2005 and SSB4 in 2012, one year before they were officially shown at E3 2006 and 2013 respectively.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Actually, they're locked but, that's the thing, the entire board is locked aside from the confirmed characters. People are given about two days to get a few final words in before character support threads are strictly forbidden until the next Smash Bros is what I like to call "pseudo-announced." Brawl was technically announced in 2005 and SSB4 in 2012, one year before they were officially shown at E3 2006 and 2013 respectively.
Cool, thanks :p

JPW

Smash Ace
I'm very surprised, i didn't think Takamaru was popular/relevant anymore. Yet people still seem butt hurt.

I can understand it i guess. I'm on the Isaac bandwagon. However if he misses out i'll be hurt but i'll get over it. It's just a game.

I'm already sold though, i'm already happy. Favourite 4 confirmed: Marth, Ike, Sonic, Fox.
Most Wanted Newcomers confirmed: Megaman, Little Mac, Palutena, Lucina(okay she's a clone but still.)
I also like the other Newcomers and i'm curious how they play. I'm excited for Mii's. Very interested in Robin. I'm even interested in Greninja despite not being a Pokemon fan.

Most of you seem to be on the negative, look at the positives. Also at least he made it into the game. Better than just being a trophy or sticker.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Should that be the case for this Smash when DLC characters are a possibility? The circumstances for this Smash are very different when compared to Brawl.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Not to sound like a prick, but what kind of pathetic person would commit suicide just because a video game character (who are just PIXELS) didn't make it into Smash Bros? What in the world would committing suicide accomplish? I find theat Lyn incident hard to believe...

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I didn't expect Little Mac to have his appearance from the wii game, I thought theyd base it off of his retro look like with his Brawl assist trophy.

I wonder what Takamaru will look like in the future...

Last edited:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
They are deleted?

Last classic pacman appareance was in "pacman championship edition" on 2010.
actually his last appearance in his retro design was in Pac-Man Monsters last February. tho it is a bit stylized. if thats not good enough for ya he was also in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Not to sound like a prick, but what kind of pathetic person would commit suicide just because a video game character (who are just PIXELS) didn't make it into Smash Bros? What in the world would committing suicide accomplish? I find theat Lyn incident hard to believe...
I remember this. It was September 11, 2007. This was on the Nsider forums. Some Lyn fangirl got so butthurt over Lyn being an Assist Trophy. She said she wanted to kill herself. Several forum members tried to talk her out of it and some criticized her and called her pathetic. I don't know what happened after that because Nsider was shut down permanently. Maybe she really became an hero or it was just her cry for attention.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I
I'm very surprised, i didn't think Takamaru was popular/relevant anymore. Yet people still seem butt hurt.

I can understand it i guess. I'm on the Isaac bandwagon. However if he misses out i'll be hurt but i'll get over it. It's just a game.

I'm already sold though, i'm already happy. Favourite 4 confirmed: Marth, Ike, Sonic, Fox.
Most Wanted Newcomers confirmed: Megaman, Little Mac, Palutena, Lucina(okay she's a clone but still.)
I also like the other Newcomers and i'm curious how they play. I'm excited for Mii's. Very interested in Robin. I'm even interested in Greninja despite not being a Pokemon fan.

Most of you seem to be on the negative, look at the positives. Also at least he made it into the game. Better than just being a trophy or sticker.
It's harder when many of your favorites have been deconfirmed or not mentioned, and the ones who have are likely bosses...

Edit: still hyped for the game though!

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143

I was mostly interested in the unrest or upset reactions for the sake of confirming it for myself that the character still has a large and active set of fans in the modern day. The last time we ever got a notice that Takamaru was popular was during the pre-Brawl voting thread on the Japanese Dojo site where Takamaru stayed on for three full rounds of voting (short of Dedede's 5 and Ridley and K. Rool's 4 IIRC). I've already mentioned how happy I am to see the character in a position with such high visibility especially when riding the coat tails of a new localization announcement and coming into vogue for a new set of Nintendo gamers. This is in stark contrast to what a lot of franchises and characters will get as the game continues to lay itself bare.

For me personally though, Takamaru was easily my one great character request just because I really wanted a sword draw/iaido/battoujutsu style using swordsman/woman. The Smash 4 roster now is looking like a lot of frosting with no cake. I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it, but I just needed that one "thing" for it to be truly complete for me.

Last edited:

Weavel

Smash Ace
Its so interesting how one character can be made not playable and it makes or breaks the game for said person.

It really shows you how passionate people are about their characters.

I haven't even heard of this guy before but I might have to check him out now.

P.S I am going through thr same thing and really hoping krystal from star fox gets in.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I'm search for the Japanese Takamaru fans' reaction to this. Where are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom