• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's First Samurai: Takamaru for SSB4 (Final Request: Ask the US HW devs to add Takamaru)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
ugh.... why oh why.

Think I'll stick around and chat with ya'll. Glad he got a role, despite not being playable. Here's hoping for Smash 5. Love his model.

"Link, Samus, Pit, and I all debuted in the same year!"

....then you make him playable, not an assist, Sakurai. #teamtakamaru #takamaruforDLC #facepalm #DreamCrusherSakurai

Shaking//very

Smash Apprentice

made this up in honor of our hero

it was a little experiment i wanted to do, takamaru happened to be model just because he was confirmed as an assist yesterday

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Guys, I finally understood why Takamaru haven't joined the roster:
12 girls!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guys, I finally understood why Takamaru haven't joined the roster:
12 girls!
Because girls would normally cause him to bleed out of his nose like a water sprinkler. Though only fully figured women like Crazy Tracy could be the one to give him a hard time. :troll:

Additionally, Palutena is be close enough since she's the most buxom playable character in the entire roster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tagline: Takamaru is not a nerd!

I can't believe he lost to LUCINA!
Maybe Sakurai is a ladies man that wanted to please all the people whining for "moar female characters". At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if a certain orange wearing princess was added for the same reason. But hey, we can't be too old enough to be gamers by then since the average gamer is 30 years old.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
to be fair, Takamaru has appeared in more games than both Robin and Lucina (and technically even palutena) in some form.
Maybe Sakurai did this on purpose just to pressure any Nintendo dev into making a new game themselves to push the character further and I do agree that the international localization did happen a bit too late. I can't blame the guy for focusing more on characters that actually were relevant in these past few decades (mostly during the time of the Wii) since the common complaints were that most newcomers were barely "new" like Olimar.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
He didn't lose to Lucina.

Takamaru and Lucina were never competing for a roster spot. And neither were any of the other newcomers.
What can I say, it's a popular fad for any Smash fan to blame her for no apparent reason. At least we have another strong female like Samus for once that isn't happy-go-lucky or girly like the rest of the roster (and that's a good thing). :chuckle:

Last edited:

MasterMushroom

Smash Journeyman
As saddened as I am from seeing that miiverse post, I'm at least glad the Japanese fans are calling him out on it on full force regarding what he wrote on miiverse. That, and I'm no longer emotionally invested in the series as I was.

The "FYI" thing is the same for the Japanese translation; with the same negative connotation as well towards the die hard fans. You can't help that people are mad over that, they had every right to complain on twitter for the subtle slap across the face.

Here's to hoping the next installment goes back to Hal labs. They at least know how to please without going overboard.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As saddened as I am from seeing that miiverse post, I'm at least glad the Japanese fans are calling him out on it on full force regarding what he wrote on miiverse. That, and I'm no longer emotionally invested in the series as I was.

The "FYI" thing is the same for the Japanese translation; with the same negative connotation as well towards the die hard fans. You can't help that people are mad over that, they had every right to complain on twitter for the subtle slap across the face.

Here's to hoping the next installment goes back to Hal labs. They at least know how to please without going overboard.
Holy ****! If that's true then I can tell that Sakurai had made a huge mistake. I can tell that he can easily learn from it within these next 6 years after realizing that Japan could have been fine with his inclusion. :laugh:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Wait, the reaction is bad over on the Japanese Miiverse? Times like this I really wish if the net would do more of those reaction collages.

At the same time, it's really good to know that people care about our samurai. It was pretty surprising to see that in all the venues I check normally, Taka has a LOT of supporters, most of which were either silent until yesterday happened or intrigued because of the last half a week's events (Murasame localization/release, Comic Con stream, Taka AT).

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I was busy yesterday, so i wasn't able to come in and give my condolences to all of our fellow supporters. I really thought he was in. I really did. And it doesn't help that his model is nice too. Ugh. I hope he'll be one of the first announced characters if we ever get another Smash game.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Wait, people are taking the "FYI" thing as some kind of slap in the face? And whining about it to Sakurai? Sigh. He always says it when he reveals an AT. Otherwise Miiverse idiots would think that they're playable.

I really don't get it when people call deconfirmations "brutal" or something. They never are.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wow... Japanese fans are butthurt over this? Well, that's what they get for not being vocal. I remember reading ChronoBound's analysis about what the Japanese fans want and he said that there were little to no demand for a retro newcomer but whenever it's brought up, it's usually Takamaru.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I really hope I don't come across as spammy or over-enthused but guys, we really need to stick together and start pressing the issue in as many venues as we can. The K. Rool and Ridley threads here show that a little desire can become a big force if enough voices and eyes are on the same page.

We're not going to do any petitions or things like that since we should all know that Nintendo doesn't pay mind to things like that, but we should do our best to keep the visibility of this character high at all times. Everyone who was interested or intrigued by the character, take a moment to check out the OP and get a little more insight before leaving. Grab a Takamaru sig support icon to go and tell a friend to stop by. Supporters in this thread (every last one), I cannot stress enough how much of an opportunity for visibility it would be for Taka if the Project M Backroom included him as one of their clone engine characters. It's on us to make our voices heard. Even if we don't make that goal, it's still focused noise that shows we want our samurai. If you're good at fan art be it in terms of being funny or balls to the wall awesome, don't hesitate to do stuff. Don't just sit back and take it all for granted or get dissuaded because we didn't hit our ideal target.

We are all excited to see him make the game but with the sentiments shown over the last few days, there is a real desire for this character and with the international audience now getting exposure to both the character and game, we should take advantage of the situation as much as possible. Just remember to be polite, accept that some opinions may not be swayed, and focus on educating others on why we feel so strongly for him. (I'm doing some browsing around the net and apparently a lot of folks respected our fanbase for being very chill and easy going/"not obnoxious")

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wait, people are taking the "FYI" thing as some kind of slap in the face? And whining about it to Sakurai? Sigh. He always says it when he reveals an AT. Otherwise Miiverse idiots would think that they're playable.

I really don't get it when people call deconfirmations "brutal" or something. They never are.
Except for Toad, Waluigi, and especially Chrom, that is!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
*looks at thread Title*
Sakurai done goofed, didn't he.

Morbi

Scavenger
I really hope I don't come across as spammy or over-enthused but guys, we really need to stick together and start pressing the issue in as many venues as we can. The K. Rool and Ridley threads here show that a little desire can become a big force if enough voices and eyes are on the same page.

We're not going to do any petitions or things like that since we should all know that Nintendo doesn't pay mind to things like that, but we should do our best to keep the visibility of this character high at all times. Everyone who was interested or intrigued by the character, take a moment to check out the OP and get a little more insight before leaving. Grab a Takamaru sig support icon to go and tell a friend to stop by. Supporters in this thread (every last one), I cannot stress enough how much of an opportunity for visibility it would be for Taka if the Project M Backroom included him as one of their clone engine characters. It's on us to make our voices heard. Even if we don't make that goal, it's still focused noise that shows we want our samurai. If you're good at fan art be it in terms of being funny or balls to the wall awesome, don't hesitate to do stuff. Don't just sit back and take it all for granted or get dissuaded because we didn't hit our ideal target.

We are all excited to see him make the game but with the sentiments shown over the last few days, there is a real desire for this character and with the international audience now getting exposure to both the character and game, we should take advantage of the situation as much as possible. Just remember to be polite, accept that some opinions may not be swayed, and focus on educating others on why we feel so strongly for him.
Honestly, it is probably more effective if we were to all support his game and expect the best for Smash 5. I doubt we can change his fate as he is already programmed as an assist trophy.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Honestly, it is probably more effective if we were to all support his game and expect the best for Smash 5. I doubt we can change his fate as he is already programmed as an assist trophy.
Oh this isn't a move to change anything set in stone (disc). It's just to make sure that when the future comes, he has a battalion supporting him.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Apparently, Miiverse post about this issue was deleted. Maybe it's because I've mentioned the time one girl committed suicide over Lyn being an Assist Trophy pre-Brawl. Those guys can be so sensitive sometimes when it comes certain issues.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Apparently, Miiverse post about this issue was deleted. Maybe it's because I've mentioned the time one girl committed suicide over Lyn being an Assist Trophy pre-Brawl. Those guys can be so sensitive sometimes when it comes certain issues.
For real? That's just the saddest thing ever. That's not worth losing life over.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Now that I think about it... if the Japanese Smash fanbase wasn't vocal about retro newcomers like the Western Smash fanbase was, that could explain why Takamaru didn't get in? Who's the retro newcomer that the Western Smash fanbase are vocal about?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Japan whining, huh.. It'll pass away.

Sakurai can't ever goof though with his roster inclusions though- in fact, he always does the opposite.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik : ... Mac, I guess?

@R.O.B: Still creepy to imagine...

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Now that I think about it... if the Japanese Smash fanbase wasn't vocal about retro newcomers like the Western Smash fanbase was, that could explain why Takamaru didn't get in? Who's the retro newcomer that the Western Smash fanbase are vocal about?
Little Mac :troll:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
One thing I think we need to stop doing is assuming that there is a set "retro" quota that Sakurai will/wants to meet. At this point, I feel like he's been focusing on newer/more recent faces to circumvent the "Nintendo doesn't make new IP/large scale IP" criticism he leveraged when interviewed during Brawl's development. He's still sewing the seeds of intrigue with how he picks certain characters for certain roles (playable/AT/Trophy) and I imagine there's going to be a lot that happens in this generation that will lead to some big things for Smash 5. With all this in mind, maybe the idea isn't to just get a retro so much as completely relaunch them from scratch using this build up of unresolved intrigue.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
For real? That's just the saddest thing ever. That's not worth losing life over.
Yeah, a lot of people pre-Brawl had talked about it or even bought it up when discussing about Lyn being an Assist Trophy.

@ AncientTobacco AncientTobacco I've told some Miiverse users about how Japan felt about Takamaru's disconfirmation, just to prove to them that certain fanbases can never be pleased.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Takamaru.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Japan whining, huh.. It'll pass away.

Sakurai can't ever goof though with his roster inclusions though- in fact, he always does the opposite.

@ Arcadenik Arcadenik : ... Mac, I guess?

@R.O.B: Still creepy to imagine...
Yeah, it will pass. It always does. It will hurt at first... but sooner or later, you cannot get enough of it and you're begging for more! :troll:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I'm really curious about what the Japanese are saying about Takamaru being an assist trophy. Anyone got quotes?

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
One thing I think we need to stop doing is assuming that there is a set "retro" quota that Sakurai will/wants to meet. At this point, I feel like he's been focusing on newer/more recent faces to circumvent the "Nintendo doesn't make new IP/large scale IP" criticism he leveraged when interviewed during Brawl's development. He's still sewing the seeds of intrigue with how he picks certain characters for certain roles (playable/AT/Trophy) and I imagine there's going to be a lot that happens in this generation that will lead to some big things for Smash 5. With all this in mind, maybe the idea isn't to just get a retro so much as completely relaunch them from scratch using this build up of unresolved intrigue.
The thing is, Sakurai stated in an interview that he's going to bring old characters back in SSB4.

That's why pretty much everyone was certain that we'd get a retro. I mean, I guess one could argue that bringing them back doesn't necessarily mean a playable role, but the interviewer used Pit as an example so that would seem kind of odd.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
I'm really curious about what the Japanese are saying about Takamaru being an assist trophy. Anyone got quotes?
Lord knows I'd love to read some of the reactions.

The thing is, Sakurai stated in an interview that he's going to bring old characters back in SSB4.

That's why pretty much everyone was certain that we'd get a retro. I mean, I guess one could argue that bringing them back doesn't necessarily mean a playable role, but the interviewer used Pit as an example so that would seem kind of odd.
Yeah, honestly, I definitely get the "why" behind people expecting someone to take the mantle of "retro rep", but in the face of things happening now, maybe we shouldn't consider it as big a deal to Sakurai.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Wait, what's going on with Japan and the Lyn suicide? Can someone brief me?

Btw, my condolences. Taka would've been a great character, but I am with many a certainty that he'll be playable if there's another game.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace

Agreed - I thought Takamaru's deconfirmation was actually kind of nice in that it made Takamaru himself sound happy even to be an assist trophy XD

FYI isn't always meant to be snarky, people. Anybody reading it that way has probably just spent too much time on the internet :p

It is reassuring to hear that the Japanese fanbase is also very upset by this, but at the same time, there were people losing their minds when Ashley was deconfirmed... Ashley. No offense to any Ashley supporters, but c'mon :p It just goes to show that it doesn't take much for a character deconfirmation to stir people up, so the question is, what's the scale here? Are they upset enough that anybody outside of fellow Takamaru supporters and hardcore Smash speculators are really going to notice?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd like a link to the Japanese Miiverse post about Takamaru.
I think you may want to ask @ MasterMushroom MasterMushroom about that since he was the one who bought it up.

Wait, what's going on with Japan and the Lyn suicide? Can someone brief me?

Btw, my condolences. Taka would've been a great character, but I am with many a certainty that he'll be playable if there's another game.
A lot of people on the Japanese Miiverse psot was pretty negative about Takamru being an Assist Trophy, especially the last FYI part. I guess they actually expected him to be a fighter, but was left pretty disappointed and butthurt.

As for the suicide issue, there was a situation where a girl committed suicide over Lyn being an Assist Trophy. ManlySpirit was the last one who bought it up a few years ago during my lurking times, meaning he might have remembered the full story back then.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Keep them coming japan!!! show nintendo how wrong they are :demon:

Pac-Man is as retro as you can get. Plus, Super Smash Bros. N64 didn't have a retro character, so it's not like it's a tradition to have an old school playable character in every game.
I dont expect any retro to be honest, i was responding to the "keep classics to a minimum" argument.
Mac is like Ness or Samus on 64, not a come back, just an iconic face to everyone who played the last gen, and neither IC or Pit where like that.

Is a pattern thats likely to be repeated, not that we need it (not anymore...), but is still pretty possible.
Maybe Sakurai did this on purpose just to pressure any Nintendo dev into making a new game themselves to push the character further and I do agree that the international localization did happen a bit too late. I can't blame the guy for focusing more on characters that actually were relevant in these past few decades (mostly during the time of the Wii) since the common complaints were that most newcomers were barely "new" like Olimar.
Best way to pressure development is to making him playable actually.
"sorry keeped you waiting" right now anything can happen, including never have a reboot :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom