• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo's ace pilots take flight! Pilot Wings for SSB4! Final Flight Call! Get the votes in heroes!

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Thank you for your support and service!:b: Excuse me for asking, but would you mind helping spread the word about Pilot Wings support? Also, what character do you support and/or think will be in the game?:)
Well, I know Lyndis may never be playable in a OFFICIAL Smash game...so I'm contempt there. The only one I pray the Nintendo gods deliver unto us peons is Issac From Golden Sun. Or Felix. Hell, even Mathew. I just want a Golden Sun rep. Since we didn't see any assist trophy from Issac my hopes are still up.

Wouldn't mind seeing a 1080 Snowboarding or Wave Race or Advance Wars rep. Sometimes it feels like Nintendo starts and awesome franchise and just forgets about them because Mario needs five release a year, ya know?

Outside of that I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan but I understand they might have room for only on more LoZ person, and I am hoping it's Impa but... I'm content with what has been released so far when it comes to characters.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I know Lyndis may never be playable in a OFFICIAL Smash game...so I'm contempt there. The only one I pray the Nintendo gods deliver unto us peons is Issac From Golden Sun. Or Felix. Hell, even Mathew. I just want a Golden Sun rep. Since we didn't see any assist trophy from Issac my hopes are still up.

Wouldn't mind seeing a 1080 Snowboarding or Wave Race or Advance Wars rep. Sometimes it feels like Nintendo starts and awesome franchise and just forgets about them because Mario needs five release a year, ya know?

Outside of that I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan but I understand they might have room for only on more LoZ person, and I am hoping it's Impa but... I'm content with what has been released so far when it comes to characters.
Not trying to criticize you, or anything (Because believe you me, I also want most of these characters, and you wouldn't believe how disappointed I was to see Lyndis as an AT.) but what does this have to do with Pilot Wings? If I offended you, I'm sorry. I just wondered if you answered my question in my last post.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I'm a fan of this series, so I wouldn't be disappointed if a character got in.
I'm loving the light plane remix on the pilotwings stage by the way.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
What with the inclusion of the Pilot Wings stage in the Wii U version, I think this could possibly happen (and it'd also be cool).

The Jetpack item worries me though, considering it'd be an obvious recovery move for a Pilot Wings character.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What with the inclusion of the Pilot Wings stage in the Wii U version, I think this could possibly happen (and it'd also be cool).

The Jetpack item worries me though, considering it'd be an obvious recovery move for a Pilot Wings character.
I don't suppose you support the series getting a playable character, do you?:)

BTW, everyone! I've updated the OP a bit! Check it out when you get a chance!:p

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ah, yes. I almost forgot! I definitely support.
All right! I've added you to the support list! Thank you for supporting Pilot Wings for a playable rep in SSB4! BTW, let me just be the first to say, I just LOVE:love:that epic, upbeat jazzy remix of the "Light Plane" theme in SSB4's Pilot Wings stage! It makes me want a Pilot Wings character even more! (Preferably Lark.....or Goose...........or even Kiwi.:p)

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Add me to the supporters list. After seeing the Pilot Wings stage I became interested in a rep from one of the games. I feel like Lark would be the best choice, is he the main character? He also looks like Nester.

Actually, I think I want Hooter instead. Is Hooter named Hooter because of her Hooters or the bird reference? It looks like it works either way.:troll:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Add me to the supporters list. After seeing the Pilot Wings stage I became interested in a rep from one of the games. I feel like Lark would be the best choice, is he the main character? He also looks like Nester.

Actually, I think I want Hooter instead. Is Hooter named Hooter because of her Hooters or the bird reference? It looks like it works either way.:troll:
Welcome, Afrodude! Looks like we have a new "high-flying" hero! To answer your questions, Lark can probably be considered the game's "unofficial, main character" of Pilot Wings 64. (Also, believe it or not, but Nintendo themselves seem to have said that Lark and Nester don't just look alike, they're actually the same person! Take a look, and tell me what you think:
and
Also,

BTW, I do support Lark to be playable in SSB4!

Also, as for Hooter, yes, the joke goes both ways. As a matter of fact, that's actually the reason Hooter was renamed Robin in the U.S version (and I think, European version) since it resulted in some "unsavory" puns and jokes.:smirk:

Last edited:

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I don't see them being super likely, but I am all in for new series getting representation!

Last edited:

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I can see Lark being the most likely candidate. And Kiwi could be an alternate costume! Though, I doubt Robin would make it, considering we already have a Robin. :p

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I can see Lark being the most likely candidate. And Kiwi could be an alternate costume! Though, I doubt Robin would make it, considering we already have a Robin. :p
You know, that actually seems like a good idea! Kiwi could probably be an alt. of Lark, if they can make it work! BTW, guys, I've been working on some arguments for the OP, and if you can help give me some suggestions, it'd be highly appreciated!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't see them being super likely, but I am all in for new series getting representation!
Well, DonkaFjord and all Pilot Wings supporters, due to the recent leak, I personally don't know if we're getting a Pilot Wings rep now. Personally, I'm feeling a bit cynical, but I'm hoping someone like Lark or even the "Golden Pilot" is a hidden character. However, on the likely chance we don't get a playable rep, I'd like to thank all the supporters for sticking around, or even supporting the idea of Pilot Wings getting a playable character at all. So thanks!:)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Well, DonkaFjord and all Pilot Wings supporters, due to the recent leak, I personally don't know if we're getting a Pilot Wings rep now. Personally, I'm feeling a bit cynical, but I'm hoping someone like Lark or even the "Golden Pilot" is a hidden character. However, on the likely chance we don't get a playable rep, I'd like to thank all the supporters for sticking around, or even supporting the idea of Pilot Wings getting a playable character at all. So thanks!:)
There's always DLC or being an assist-

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Oh yeah. Almost forgot about that. I guess I can only hope Pilot Wings can get an AT or hopefully DLC.
I think assists are better than just being a plain old trophy/sticker/not represented. Sakurai did mention he wanted to get away from the fandom's idea that playable characters are the only representation that counts.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think assists are better than just being a plain old trophy/sticker/not represented. Sakurai did mention he wanted to get away from the fandom's idea that playable characters are the only representation that counts.
I guess. But still you have to admit Pilot Wings is a very successful game. The only thing holding it back is obscurity (sometimes.)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I guess. But still you have to admit Pilot Wings is a very successful game. The only thing holding it back is obscurity (sometimes.)
I never said it wasn't, but I think being an assist isn't that bad since its better than say startropics which didn't get anything- not even a sticker.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I never said it wasn't, but I think being an assist isn't that bad since its better than say startropics which didn't get anything- not even a sticker.
Tell me about it.

It's great that Pilotwings has a stage.
If not in this game, then maybe next game it could have a character, just like Animal Crossing.

Pilotwings has 3 games, Kid Icarus also has 3, and has 3 characters. It would only be fair for a traditional franchise like PW to get at least one character.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Tell me about it.

If not in this game, then maybe next game it could have a character, just like Animal Crossing.

Pilotwings has 3 games, Kid Icarus also has 3, and has 3 characters. It would only be fair for a traditional franchise like PW to get at least one character.
Speaking of which its a crying shame the wars series hasn't got a playable rep yet- it is the longest running Nintendo franchise without one. But back on topic, if Pilotwings continues to be relevant I could see it being possible.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Tell me about it.

Speaking of which its a crying shame the wars series hasn't got a playable rep yet- it is the longest running Nintendo franchise without one. But back on topic, if Pilotwings continues to be relevant I could see it being possible.
Believe me, I get where you guys are coming from. All I'm saying is...well, think about it? PILOT WINGS? Where would Sakurai even come with the idea to rep this in Smash? It's NEVER ONCE been mentioned in Smash once before except for that one sticker of Big Al in SSBB. So I'm just saying, Sakurai can easily add a character to cash in on its stage inclusion. Whether it be a playable character a DLC character, a AT, a trophy, something. Heck, I mean I still the series getting a character, you know. As a matter of fact, the (unofficial) main protagonist of PW 64, Lark, is my avatar as you can see. I mean I just have some slight hope that Japan's demo today says something about PW, even if it's an AT.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Tell me about it.

Hey guys, now that DLC is possible, who here think we could try to convince Sakurai for a Pilot Wings playable character?

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Hey guys, now that DLC is possible, who here think we could try to convince Sakurai for a Pilot Wings playable character?
Sorry mate, chances seem low unless Pilotwings becomes more character driven again.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
If only we had some of the Pilotwings 64 crew as possible choices, I would have even preferred them instead of the Miis in Resort. That Vocal remix of Light Plane though takes me back to the days of enjoying the first game.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If only we had some of the Pilotwings 64 crew as possible choices, I would have even preferred them instead of the Miis in Resort. That Vocal remix of Light Plane though takes me back to the days of enjoying the first game.
Oh my god! You don't know how many times I've said that! I've desperately wanted Lark from PW64 as a playable character in Smash 4! Yet all we get is a stage. It really bothered me how Sakurai just suddenly up and made a stage for the series for Smash 4 and he doesn't even reference Pilot Wings 64 in Smash in any way, not even a playable character, for goodness sake! The songs are superb though! Hey, Azure, I understand if it's too late, but do you mind if I add you to the support list? At least we can hope for DLC, right?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh my god! You don't know how many times I've said that! I've desperately wanted Lark from PW64 as a playable character in Smash 4! Yet all we get is a stage. It really bothered me how Sakurai just suddenly up and made a stage for the series for Smash 4 and he doesn't even reference Pilot Wings 64 in Smash in any way, not even a playable character, for goodness sake! The songs are superb though! Hey, Azure, I understand if it's too late, but do you mind if I add you to the support list? At least we can hope for DLC, right?
Sure, you can add me to the list. With DLC being possible, Pilotwings can easily be redeemed with a new playable character. Having an aerial fighting style with the many machines from the games would be enough to make the character unique.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sure, you can add me to the list. With DLC being possible, Pilotwings can easily be redeemed with a new playable character. Having an aerial fighting style with the many machines from the games would be enough to make the character unique.
All right then! Say, out of curiosity, who would you make playable from Pilot Wings anyway?

EDIT: All right! You are now an honorary "High-Flying Hero"!:)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
All right then! Say, out of curiosity, who would you make playable from Pilot Wings anyway?
I'd say it would be in between Lark (Because of his resemblance to Nester) and Goose (Since he's be another tall fighter). The former is much more likely since he takes the center stage of the PW64 protagonists.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd say it would be in between Lark (Because of his resemblance to Nester) and Goose (Since he's be another tall fighter). The former is much more likely since he takes the center stage of the PW64 protagonists.
I always thought the same idea. More specifically, my idea was that Lark should be playable, with Kiwi (the cute little girl in pink, blue, and yellow) as an alt. skin for Lark. (In the style of Capt. Olimar and Alph/Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings) or simply have Goose as a playable character and maybe an alt. skin with Ibis? (the REALLY tall young lady wearing green and yellow) In Goose's case, I guess they could go either way with Ibis if they wanted to. I don't hate Ibis, I just feel more strong on my idea with Lark and Kiwi being playable. Also, I guess wouldn't mind if Hawk and/or Robin/Hooter ended up playable either. I'm just surprised Sakurai did NOT give us a playable character from Pilot Wings. OK, maybe not THAT surprised, but still I think if the Villager(s) and Wii Fit Trainer(s) could end up playable in Smash, then Pilot Wings shouldn't have much issue coming up with something, right?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I always wonder why Pilotwings got stage representation in Smash Bros., it's not really a notable franchise, or am I missing something?
Was it always a classic franchise considered by many?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I always wonder why Pilotwings got stage representation in Smash Bros., it's not really a notable franchise, or am I missing something?
Was it always a classic franchise considered by many?
Historically, Pilotwings had always served as the launch title fopr several platforms (SNES, Nintendoi 64, and DS) and these titles had some pretty positives reviews. The first game especially was notable for it's phenomenal use of the Mode 7 graphics on the Super Nintendo and sold 2 million copies worldwide (With its two sequels doing less than phenomenal compared to it). Overall, the main purpose of the series was to show the graphic capabilities of certain Nintendo platforms depending on the generation.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Historically, Pilotwings had always served as the launch title fopr several platforms (SNES, Nintendoi 64, and DS) and these titles had some pretty positives reviews. The first game especially was notable for it's phenomenal use of the Mode 7 graphics on the Super Nintendo and sold 2 million copies worldwide (With its two sequels doing less than phenomenal compared to it). Overall, the main purpose of the series was to show the graphic capabilities of certain Nintendo platforms depending on the generation.
I guess I should've been there at the time, I thought Starfox first notably defined the 3D gameplay.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I guess I should've been there at the time, I thought Starfox first notably defined the 3D gameplay.
Pilotwings was actually the first stage in 3D in which everything felt three dimensional despite the usage of sprites. Though Star Fox was considered stage two in which everything looked three dimensional with the polygonal style from the Super FX chip. So Star Fox literally blew the former out of the water in terms of popularity and sales thanks to the Super FX graphics.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Pilotwings was actually the first stage in 3D in which everything felt three dimensional despite the usage of sprites. Though Star Fox was considered stage two in which everything looked three dimensional with the polygonal style from the Super FX chip. So Star Fox literally blew the former out of the water in terms of popularity and sales thanks to the Super FX graphics.
And this is why Pilot Wings should get a playable character!:b: BTW, BluePikmin, can I maybe add you to the support list? I also think we should find some way to petition Pilot Wings to get a character for DLC. Heck, if (possibly) Arcadenik could petition for Duck Hunt to be playable, (for 12 years, no less!) I have faith in Pilot Wings pulling it off too! Also, someone should really ask why PW even got a stage in SSB4 in the first place.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sure, feel free to add me, I could've sworn I asked before.
Oh, really? Well, maybe you did, and I completely forgot to add you. If I did, sorry about that, okay?

EDIT: You, my friend are now officially, an honorary "high-flying hero"! Congrats!

Last edited:
Top Bottom