• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo to run 3DS Tournament at San Diego Comic-Con

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
Nintendo has announced that it will run a Super Smash Brothers 3DS tournament at the upcoming San Diego Comic-Con. The tournament will occur July 25 where players are "invited to come to the Nintendo Gaming Lounge at the Marriott Marquis & Marina located at 333 W. Harbor Drive" to participate. The tournament will run 4-person free-for-all matches with a single player advancing. These preliminary rounds will begin at noon. Later in the day, an undisclosed number of winners will play in a finals bracket that will be 1v1.

You will be able to watch all the action on Twitch.tv/Nintendo! How Nintendo plans to stream the 3DS will be interesting to see - it is unlikely they use any of the common 3DS mods used to stream and official Nintendo capture hardware is bulky - something that could effect player performance. This will also confirm whether players can compete with the IR connection on the 3DS or with the Wi-Fi connection. If it is the Wi-Fi connection there may be an issue at very large tournaments due to significant signal interference.

This tournament will be the third with Nintendo involvement in just 2 months, following the Nintendo Invitational at E3 and the Nintendo sponsorship of EVO 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morin0

Smash Lord
Do you need to be a Comic-Con attendee in order to enter? I've been in that Nintendo gaming lounge in the past, but I was a Comic-Con attendee. I don't have a badge this year. lol

EDIT: You probably do. I just remembered that there's usually a person in front that checks as you walk in. :( :( :(

Last edited:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hope we get a new character out of the event! wouldn't be upset even if was a vet like Mr. G&W

RancidLeaf

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlyLeaf
This is interesting. I'd think they will have a spectate mode, like they did in Brawl, so that they could use official 3ds capture devices without interfering with gameplay.

Cancel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Diaz30
Not bad i wish i was able to go to comic con but the tickets are sold out already,,... 0_o

Yori

Banned via Warnings
It'll be interesting to see if famous Smash players will survive the 4 player free-for alls. If they do, it'll be awesome.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
Pretty cool that they're trying to make 3DS Smash competitive, even if it will be crap on portable.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
Who better to host the first 3ds smash tournament than Nintendo itself?

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Pretty cool that they're trying to make 3DS Smash competitive, even if it will be crap on portable.
Lol yeah nobody is going to play it competitively. Sure, poeple will play it to practice at times when there's no TV, but tournaments won't happen. Except nintendo ones.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
This makes me wonder how 3DS tournaments will be handled. They'll probably fade into obscurity once the Wii U version comes out, but I doubt people would just skip 1 month+ of competitive fun and research. Also, I hope the Back Room doesn't jump the gun on the tier list.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Oh my god yes! I'm going to Comic-Con for the third time this year, and I will make it my priority to watch the tournament at the Lounge, panel discussions be damned.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Maybe Nintendo will start doing their own yearly tournaments for Smash 4.

That would be really cool.

Maybe they'll also do other competitive games, like Splatoon, or Splatoon. Or maybe even Splatoon.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Cool! I'd like to see someone win who doesn't NEED to rely on the C-stick for their smashes

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Oh God that looks horrifying.

If you care about proper controls you shouldn't be playing on a 3DS anyway
You mean if you shouldn't play the 3DS version if you rely on the same controls to maintain the same amount of Smash skills.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Holy crap, this is AMAZING!!! Nintendo's strategy re: the competitive community, and being directly involved in US events, has completely changed. This says a LOT. Looks like the e3 event was just the beginning.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
This will be something interesting to watch. Hopefully the tournament is as exciting as the Wii U Tournament.
By the way, which character do you guys think will win the 3DS tournament?

TripleDeluxe

Smash Rookie
NNID
IkeClimbers
3DS FC
2294-4644-5316
Nintendo seems to love doing tournaments now. But, I don't think the 3DS one will be a successful as the Invitational, and with the complaints the 3DS version has gotten, maybe this is a good time for Sakurai to fix these issues that people are complaining about!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Wow, they're really trying to reach out. I still dunno how good of an idea having the round robin part be FFAs is, especially with only a single winner, but considering it's meant to be an exhibition more than anything else and they want to show as many features as possible, I can understand.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
Not sure why people are complaining about the 3DS version? It's the one closest to release so it's the most important to watch for gameplay dynamics etc. I'm super excited to see the most recent build, and it will give us another opportunity to suggest game improvements to Nintendo!

Specifically, many of us are hoping for high-speed offensive gameplay with diverse, quick movement options.

Anyway I'm super excited for the 3DS smash4 and will play it competitively at least until the WiiU version is widely available... and even after..

Last edited:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
You do NOT need a Comic-Con pass for the Nintendo Louge, as it is located within the Mariott across the street from the convention center.

I'll be here--can't wait!

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
Even if the rulesets are a bit off, I'm so excited that Nintendo is setting up so many tournaments. I think it is a sign of good support in the future.

Also, to be a bit optimistic, maybe they used feedback from the invitational to balance out game mechanics on Wii U and are hoping to do the same on 3DS.

RedRambo4

Smash Cadet
Everyone says the controls are bad on the 3DS, but I bet we'll get the hang of it, after some practice.

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
If the 1v1 bracket has items off, this will be amazing. People will get to see both sides of the game, a bit moreso than with the invitational. I'll definitely be watching that part of the tournament in that case. I only hope that it's a more up-to-date build of the game with a few more characters and stages made available.

Top Bottom