• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Releases More Information On Splatoon

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Nintendo published a new press release today, which reveals some of the latest details about Splatoon. It included information on Ranked Battle mode, Splat Zones mode, newly announced multiplayer maps, and talks more about what single player mode will be like in Splatoon. The entire press release is included below.

---​

"Splatoon, Nintendo’s upcoming third-person action shooter game for the Wii U console, combines elements of shooting, strategy and action – and original new characters, Inklings, that can instantaneously transform between human and squid form. Splatoon gives players the goal of covering as much territory as possible with their ink-spewing weapons. The game, which is scheduled to launch in May, features four-on-four online team matches, as well as a full single-player mode that takes players deeper into the game’s unique world and characters.

The game’s main online mode is Turf War, in which players with broadband Internet access can compete head-to-head in four-on-four teams to try to cover as much territory as possible in their team’s ink. As they do battle, players will gain levels and earn in-game currency that allows them to customize their Inkling. Players can equip different pieces of clothing, which each provide different game-play perks like swimming more quickly through ink or decreasing the time needed for them to refill their ink canister. Players can also equip pre-determined weapon sets consisting of main weapons like rapid-fire ink guns, long-range ink rifles and paint rollers, as well as sub-weapons like ink bombs or sprinklers. Players can also fill up their special gauge in battle to unleash powerful special weapons for a brief period of time. Players will battle in a variety of online multiplayer maps, including the newly announced Blackbelly Skatepark, Saltspray Rig and Walleye Warehouse.

For the first time, Nintendo also revealed a new multiplayer mode called Ranked Battle, which keeps track of each player’s online ranking. Splat Zones is one of the additional ways to play online in this mode. As opposed to Turf War, which will be available to all players as soon as they begin playing Splatoon, Splat Zones lets players try to control the territory of specific areas of the map with their ink blasts. As they play these ranked modes online, they will have the opportunity to increase their rating from “C-” to “A+,” which will be dynamically updated based on their performance. Players will need to achieve an in-game online Level of 10 by leveling up their Inkling in Turf War online matches before gaining access to these additional modes. As a result, once the game launches in May, Nintendo will track the global progress of players as they gain levels, and once a critical mass of players has achieved Level 10, this additional mode will be unlocked for players who meet the ranking criteria.

The single-player mode in Splatoon lets players use the game’s mechanics to explore the underground base of the game’s army of octopi antagonists, the Octarians, in original stages that test their ability to shoot, jump and splatter ink. Players can tackle a variety of levels with a variety of clever devices that can only be found in single-player mode. Each of the game’s single-player stages are designed to let players master tips and techniques that can be directly applied to the game’s multiplayer modes.

For more information about Splatoon, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com."

---​

This is a lot of new information to take in, what other exciting parts of the game might still be in store? Only time can tell.

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill can't wait to play some Splatoon! Follow him on Twitter to talk about the game.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
As Smash is a game about "all things Nintendo," it makes sense to have news about "all things Nintendo."

Super hype for this game.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
This game doesn't even look fun for me. Idk what all the hype is about.

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
As Smash is a game about "all things Nintendo," it makes sense to have news about "all things Nintendo."

Super hype for this game.
Apples are Red
Red is a Color
Apples are Colors.

No.

Last edited:

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
I wonder if this game will be competitive? What if Nintendo added GameCube controller support?
It wouldn't make a difference. The game clearly isn't so technically demanding that we need the lowest amount of lag possible. Shooters have thrived and revolutionized the genre using wireless controllers for over a decade.

Also,

Article said:
Players can equip different pieces of clothing, which each provide different game-play perks like swimming more quickly through ink or decreasing the time needed for them to refill their ink canister.
THE HYPE IS LIVE

Last edited:

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Once Splatoon releases, my time is going exclusively to Splatoon.
I really hope this game grows a community as large as Smash's.

Edit: @ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill You forgot to post the Stages Trailer:

Last edited:

MustDash <NeDave>

Smash Cadet
NNID
NeDavid
3DS FC
1289-8218-1036
I've had my eye on this. Maybe there will be crew battles just for fun if it ever takes off.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
Where have you been? We also post Nintendo news when we think readers here will enjoy it!
Well I've always thought it was just because of a relation to smash. Pokken, for example, is a fighting game with pokemon in it, similar to Smash Bros.

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Well I've always thought it was just because of a relation to smash. Pokken, for example, is a fighting game with pokemon in it, similar to Smash Bros.
I guess what's happening is that smashboards is branching out to allow other games their shine. You like how shoryuken.com has a direct relation to SF, but they keep posting and supporting other games? You never know, maybe there might be splatoon tourneys where smash tourneys are and this might help both games.

Minty_

Smash Apprentice
Apples are Red
Red is a Color
Apples are Colors.

No.
Good golly! Apples aren't colors?!?!??! How could I be so naïve!? Why did Crayola lie to me!?? Why must I wallow in my ignorance!??! Why must my salty tears of rage blind me from the truth!?? Whyyyyyyy????!

Last edited:

Greninja'd

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Asianbanana
3DS FC
0645-5951-1667
This game looks really amazing. Can't wait until I get my hands on this game.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Day one purchase for me! The online ranking sounds very interesting. Can't wait to play it.

Last edited:

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726

These are the kinds of quality looking titles the Wii U needs. I'm beyond hyped to have this as my next big go to multiplayer game. (Smash doesn't count because 1v1 ;))

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Still no news on local multiplayer, sadly. Still, I plan on putting whatever time I've pumped into Smash into Splatoon and then some. This game looks hella hype, and the Inklings are the most adorable things to come from Nintendo.

Don't be surprised to see my avatar change to reflect Splatoon's release.

Top Bottom