• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo News - Post Raymanocalypse Edition

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Welcome to Nintendo News! Every weekend, Smashboards will compile the noteworthy Nintendo related news bits from the week and put them together into one handy article! This week’s Nintendo News is for the week of February 16th to 22nd, 2015 and covers Zelda Wii U, financial reports and more. Read on below!

Aonuma on Zelda Wii U : Will Push Hardware With "As Large A World As Can Be Realized"

In a recent interview with Gamereactor Magazine, Zelda series producer Eiji Aonuma talked a little bit about the new Legend of Zelda game for the Wii U. He mentioned how the series had finally gone open world thanks to the strength of the Wii U hardware. He also stated that the game will have a huge, seamlessly unfolding world. Check out the full intervew with Mr. Aonuma on Gamereactor or watch the first ever gameplay of Zelda Wii U right here.

New Dragon Ball Z Butouden Title Being Developed For Nintendo 3DS

Arc System Works are developing a new fighting game, Dragon Ball Z Butouden, for the Nintendo 3DS. The new 2D fighting game was revealed in the latest issue of V Jump and will be released later this year in Japan. No words on a Western release date yet. The game will feature over 100 different characters from the series and will have a new Z Assist mechanic which will let other characters support the main fighters in battle. Get ready to go Super Saiyan again. Check out the first scans of the game from V Jump magazine down below.

Nintendo Third Quarter Financial Report

Nintendo released it's sales figures for it's third quarter, detailing the sales numbers of games such as Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, Monster Hunter 4U, and amiibos. Check out our Smashboards recap of the whole financial report right here.

That concludes this week’s edition of Nintendo News. If you have any suggestions or improvements for future editions, please let us know in the comments section.

Until next week, Nintendo fans.

TewnLeenk is a writer for Smashboards and wants a new Zelda Wii U trailer soon. Follow and chat with him on Twitter @TewnLeenk.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I really hope we finally get a good Dragon Ball game ^_^

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Dat Title.:shaker::shaker:

Welp, either way, I need moar Fire Emblem information:sadsheep:

Joshtrip1

J Dogg
NNID
danielsjw7
3DS FC
2466-4097-7365
That Dragonball Z game looks sick finally a good DBZ game that's in full 3D that ISN'T Budokai or on Sony handhelds only. take that first part back. this might not be 3D.......that sucks.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
A good DBZ fighter post-Budokai 3 would be welcome!

And Zelda U's gonna be ****ing HUGE!

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
Super excited for a large open world Zelda. I just hope the space is well used and it's not just a lot of empty space.

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Super excited for a large open world Zelda. I just hope the space is well used and it's not just a lot of empty space.
One can only hope. Nintendo is solid when it comes to game design but open world is mew territory for them. Most lessons learned in that genre have been learned by western developers. Let's see what happens.

MikiSagittarius

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1461-6991-9602
As much as I personally like the Gameboy Advance titles released for Dragon Ball, I hope they're nothing like this game

Other than that: Op Supa Sand Lesbian Chi Chi

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
I'm still skeptical about the new Zelda, yes it could be huge but it also could be stupidly restricted. Skyward sword left a sour taste in my mouth.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'm still skeptical about the new Zelda, yes it could be huge but it also could be stupidly restricted. Skyward sword left a sour taste in my mouth.
Considering Aonuma's stated goals with this game are to make the choices up to the player, and as nonlinear as he can while still making it a cohesive experience, with player choice affecting the story, I think it won't be like Skyward Sword. Pretty confidently.

Zad

Smash Apprentice
YES! It's about time a new good DBZ came out for the handheld. I haven't played a good DBZ game since the original DS but I'll give this one a shot. :D

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
Nintendo blade are sharp:4miisword: and they are totally going to have the blow everyone out of the so called generation war with the best games ever Xenoblade and Zelda U..

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Not really liking the "open-world" aspect of the new Zelda myself.

In Super Metroid, your choice actually means something. Do you go in, guns blazing, or do you take your time to backtrack for power-ups? Is it faster to make a detour now or later? Are you even physically capable of beating bosses with so little equipment?

In Zelda, your choice largely means nothing. There's no tangible advantage to doing the Spirit or Shadow temples before the other in OoT. Like, there's not even a shortcut in the opposite dungeon to warrant another playthrough. Or even in ALBW, possibly the most open game in the series, the only reason you'd choose one dungeon over the other is for a shiny new heart you'll never need or an optional offense/defense upgrade that only makes a minor change at best. Even worse, ALBW's openness completely neutered the plot's pace. The Zelda director keeps bringing up how you can basically go anywhere you want, whenever you want... If it's as hollow as ALBW's freedom, then I'll have a new worst Zelda.

People often bring up how I liked Xenoblade...
Not open-world. Not even close. It's 100% linear. Every real branch on the world map is closed by the plot. Xeno X will be marginally more open at best, featuring the MMO style openness. AKA Walk anywhere you want, get killed by beefgates on arrival.

CamJamSlamMan

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cam_TriforceMan
3DS FC
4811-6936-8465
I'm still hoping that we'll get some form of news regarding the new Star Fox sooner or later.:4fox:

42nd

Smash Cadet
DBZ will be interesting. I hope the star fox game is as amazing as its hyped to be :p

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
The title reads,

"Nintendo News - Post Raymanocalypse Edition"

Oh hardy-har har.....

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

In Super Metroid, your choice actually means something. Do you go in, guns blazing, or do you take your time to backtrack for power-ups? Is it faster to make a detour now or later? Are you even physically capable of beating bosses with so little equipment?

In Zelda, your choice largely means nothing. There's no tangible advantage to doing the Spirit or Shadow temples before the other in OoT. Like, there's not even a shortcut in the opposite dungeon to warrant another playthrough. Or even in ALBW, possibly the most open game in the series, the only reason you'd choose one dungeon over the other is for a shiny new heart you'll never need or an optional offense/defense upgrade that only makes a minor change at best. Even worse, ALBW's openness completely neutered the plot's pace. The Zelda director keeps bringing up how you can basically go anywhere you want, whenever you want... If it's as hollow as ALBW's freedom, then I'll have a new worst Zelda.

Not open-world. Not even close. It's 100% linear. Every real branch on the world map is closed by the plot. Xeno X will be marginally more open at best, featuring the MMO style openness. AKA Walk anywhere you want, get killed by beefgates on arrival.
What about MOTHER? That game you could go wherever you wanted without really following the plot, but you got killed like in 40 seconds becuase the amount of grinding needed is absurdly huge.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Guys, I think you didn't notice who is making that DBZ game.
If there is anyone who can make over the top awesome fighting games, it's Arc System Works.

On other news, can't wait to find out how we're going to warp on Zelda U.
Seriously, that's a legit world. The thing's humongous.

TheSouthernerd

Smash Rookie
Xenoblade chronicles x might require an extra disc because of all the content, so I wouldn't be surprised if Zelda U got the same treatment. Still, I want there to be only one disc and really hope that they won't go ps1 on these games :(

Zurf

Smash Cadet

Just because Zelda U will have a "seamlessly integrated overworld" doesn't mean that the entire overworld will be available from the start. There might be mountain passes that Link can't cross until he has the right equipment, or dungeons that are hidden or just out of reach. The space that you are allowed to explore will probably expand over time, much like it did in Twilight Princess. The difference with Zelda U is that instead of the overworld having set corridors that you can explore, there will eventually be no bound to where you can go.

Super Metroid was a fantastic game, but it was largely a linear experience at the start. While you often felt like you were making decisions on where to go, the game was subtly guiding you on where to go. It wasn't until you started to get all of the power ups that the Zebes became open to exploration. Why can't Zelda U be the same way?

Also, in games like Oot, choices do matter. As soon as you get out of the Temple of Time after drawing the Master Sword, you can go straight to the graveyard to get the hookshot, go and rescue Epona and open the world futher, or try and find heart peices so that you have a better chance of survival in the next dungeon. Each of these choices will affect how the game plays down the road and forces you to make priorities on what is most important.

I agree that decisions made in Metroid games probably have more weight, mostly because of how intense the situation tends to be, but just because Zelda U has an open world does not mean that it will sacrifice pacing or meaningful progression in the game.

Top Bottom