• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nintendo Doesnt Hate Europe, They Just Dont Care.

sweetbrother

Smash Rookie
:( This thread goes out to every sad guy in europe.

I think ive figured out why smash bros gets released so late in europe.

BRAWL FOR EUROPE HAS TWO RUMORED RELEASE DATES - APRIL 30TH & MAY 30TH

It has NOTHING to do with translations (when playing pal version of melee, how much translation could they have done, marth was still talking japaneese :confused: )

Yes, they could translate the game in 24hrs if they wanted to. But no, heres why.....

Nintendo only release certain games where they think there going to make the most money.
The difference is the type of game, notice how metriod prime games 1 & 3 were released in both u.s. and europe in the same month, and japan got it months later.

This is simply because FPS games are more popular in europe and u.s. then in japan.

Same with popularity is all nintendo cares about, games like mario kart, mario galaxy and zelda get released everywhere within the same month, why?? because there popular in europe.

Its sad to say, theres a very small fanbase for smash in europe, i would like are fanbase to be bigger, but nintendo knows this about us. And europe dont have a huge fighting game fanbase anyway, im aware that most of us arent open-minded and only play FPS and soccer games.

But i am 100% sure that this is the reason smash gets to europe so late. Dont believe me? check gamefaqs website for release dates for the popular nintendo games and see for yourself.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Europe's got a small "fanbase" for videogames period. We rarely buy more games than in Japan itself (which is just one single country) and, thus, Nintendo simply doesn't care.

I mean, why work hard for localization when you might not sell that many copies when you can conctrate on the big league (Japan and the US) and make some more money?

Staco

Smash Champion
ehh, erveyone good gamer I know wants to get ssbb
its much more popular than msc <<
nintendo is only ****ing bad :p
**** rassist nintendo! ><

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
ITT a lot of bullpoop. You really, REALLY think Europe has more Metroid Prime fans than Super Smash Bros.?

sweetbrother

Smash Rookie
ITT a lot of bullpoop. You really, REALLY think Europe has more Metroid Prime fans than Super Smash Bros.?
Thats not what im stating, Im saying that europe has a bigger FPS fanbase then a fighting game. Smash bros 64 was the top selling game in europe for n64 when it came out, but was eventually topped by goldeneye.

And alot of people that i know that have played smash, dont consider the game as a fighting game persay, more reffered to as party game. We just dont get it.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And alot of people that i know that have played smash, dont consider the game as a fighting game persay, more reffered to as party game. We just dont get it.
As opposed to Japan? The fighting scene in Japan consists mostly, if not almost entirely, of games available on the arcade. They don't have console tourneys, they have arcade tourneys.

The Japanese Smash scene is tiny compared to the others. Smash isn't a huge tourney game in Japan, either. In fact, a lot of European countries have larger tourney scenes.

sweetbrother

Smash Rookie
The Japanese Smash scene is tiny compared to the others. Smash isn't a huge tourney game in Japan, either. In fact, a lot of European countries have larger tourney scenes.
Oh yeah, agree with that,but the japaneese arent competitive players, they'll play with items any stage whatever.

We do tourney's for almost anything that can be done i.e. tekken is the most popular for that in fighting games. Its something we inherit.

Anyway nintendo arent answering to competitive fans, just the money.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh yeah, agree with that,but the japaneese arent competitive players, they'll play with items any stage whatever.

We do tourney's for almost anything that can be done i.e. tekken is the most popular for that in fighting games. Its something we inherit.

Anyway nintendo arent answering to competitive fans, just the money.
Yeah, but you talked as if you knowing a lot of people who consider Smash more of a party game than a fighting game was somehow a factor in Nintendo's localization.

The fact is that also in Japan, Smash is mostly considered a party game by the masses at large.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Of course it's a shame that Nintendo doesn't give a crap about the Europeans. But it not like we can't make a thing about it. Import the game, dangit!

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Now, importing is a no go if you only own a PAL Wii and don't want to chip, or can't afford to chip or even import.
Ok, that's really a problem. DARN region lock! Since I decided to buy a Wii because of Brawl, I will buy an American Wii with the game. Can anyone tell me a good retailer who ships to Europe? And would Ebay.com be a good alternative?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok, that's really a problem. DARN region lock! Since I decided to buy a Wii because of Brawl, I will buy an American Wii with the game. Can anyone tell me a good retailer who ships to Europe? And would Ebay.com be a good alternative?
A good retailer: One who writes "Gift" on the package.
eBay: If they write "gift".

Remember, if it's from a region outside of the European Union, you'll have to pay import taxes on it proportional to the cost.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
A good retailer: One who writes "Gift" on the package.
eBay: If they write "gift".

Remember, if it's from a region outside of the European Union, you'll have to pay import taxes on it proportional to the cost.
And I don't have to pay that, if they write "gift" on it? :confused:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
Wow, they have the japanese game and the console in stock? Then maybe I should import the japanese version. Would that be difficult in terms of paying taxes?

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
german? are you akitv in the german boards? doesnt look like it or you´d be asking there :D
contact me if you wanna get the adress storm-eagle

well, i cant help you, but to be on topic, i share Yunas opinion...
europe just doesnt have as many gamers/ ppl. here dont buy as many games
in USA games are cheaper, here a game is 50-60€ ...
i dont know what it looks like in japan, but i think its the same

and yeah... i think most gaming stuff goes over play-asia^^

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
24 hours to translate every single trophy, sticker, etc. into 6 different languages?
I doubt that.

The real reason it's delayed (other than minor localization) is that they need to concentrate on one country at a time to deal with supply issues. Or they could do it like Halo 3 where they were manufacturing a month before release and had the game in stores 2 weeks before release in some cases.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
A bit off topic, but WOW, the American Wii is around 100 Dollars more expensice than the Japanese Wii!

@ Yomi: Yeah, why not. Can you show me the link to the German boards?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
And I don't have to pay that, if they write "gift" on it? :confused:
Depends. Packages labelled "gift" are usually not checked. But if they are insured for more than a set amount of money (like 100 euro or something), you might still have to pay import taxes. Yes, it's that sucky.

Yes, it is to prevent us from importing stuff like gaming consoles.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
You've finally realised what I've been thinking for the last few years. Infact, any EU player who closely follows Nintendo would know.

NoE are lazy, they don't care.

S2

Smash Lord
I've explained this over many times at the GFAQS board that game companies are constantly giving Europe the shaft.... keep in mind this is an argument about why Nintendo does what it does - not a bash to our Euro brothers.

They view Europe essentially as 2nd class customer (Australia too). It's not fair and it probably isn't going to change anytime soon.

The fact is that big companies like Nintendo cater to NA and Japan first, Europe second. The reasoning being that NA is the big money maker for most game companies (NA being the US/CA/MEX) and Japan is the homeland.

Of course, Nintendo caters to Europe and Australia, but because its a smaller customer they often wait. This has been due to several factors
1.) Langauge - Europe is large, but incorporates so many different countries with different languages and that makes localizing harder. The US only requires 1 translation, English.

2.) Cultural values - If they put out a PAL copy, they usually want it selling in as wide an area as possible. For instance, Germany is very anti-violence but don't care nearly as much about sexual content. Even from the US - this is the polar opposite. Companies have to make sure games are going to be okay in as much of Europe as possible.

3.) PAL TV differences. Meaning they need to change the framerate on games to run properly. Although, I've heard that HDTVs aren't NTSC/PAL anymore. I could be wrong - but if that's the case its good news.

4.) Production costs. Meaning, if production is limited - which it always is to an extent, companies are going to serve their biggest customers first.

But really, both of those are smaller points that simply break up the territory. NA gets first foreign treatement because its the biggest buyer - largely due to huge area that requires only an easier localization.

Yeah, its really not fair at all. But at least you can try and break down why game companies do what they do.

As gaming gets bigger, these companies really should start lowering the time between the Japan/US/Europe releases. I know that in the last 10 years the gap between the JPN and US release has gotten much smaller, I dunno how much the Europe one has.

But just keep in mind, you could be South America, Africa, certain parts of Asia, etc... meaning they don't sell console games to you at all. In many parts of the world the only way to play games is either on a PC or via importing.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
You've finally realised what I've been thinking for the last few years. Infact, any EU player who closely follows Nintendo would know.

NoE are lazy, they don't care.
No. All X's of Europes are either lazy or don't care about us or both. Virtually all European subsidiaries of major intercontinental gaming companies give us the shaft when it comes to pretty much everything, from release dates to retail prices.

About localization for languages like French, German and Spanish... seriously, why even bother? How many people could possibly have bought Call of Duty 4 or something because you could pick French? I mean, how many French gamers would've thought it abhorrent to pick certain games had they not had French as a language option? Why punish all of Europe because some countries are too lazy to teach English to their young properly?

What more, a lot of times, they even release special localized versions with non-English languages for the European continent that has the English language option replaced with another one (or more)! Of course, this takes more time and is therefore released at a later date but why even bother implementing French, German and/or Spanish into the original release if you're just gonna release them with a specialized version, anyway?

Giving the shaft to just the lazy Frenchies/Germans/Spaniards >>>> Giving the shaft to us all.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I totally agree with you S2. But the question remains: Why can Sony and Microsoft make worldwide releases for their games within weeks and Nintendo can't?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I totally agree with you S2. But the question remains: Why can Sony and Microsoft make worldwide releases for their games within weeks and Nintendo can't?
Not true, especially not with Sony. I don't know what the situation's like with Microsoft but quite a few of Sony's releases are delayed by a lot for the American and especially the European releases. Any of the Final Fantasies, for example, despite several of them having zero new features (especially not when you compared the US to the PAL-version).

The same goes for Kingdom Hearts IIRC. Guilty Gear XX series? Those are the only ones whose release dates I've kept tab on in recent years.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Then how come RRP Wii games are the most expensive of the lot? You often see PS3 or 360 games brand new in stores for as much as £30, when Wii games hardly fall below £35.

Also, 3rd parties (mostly SEGA, Ubisoft etc) are usually a few weeks to a month releasing in most regions. Even Capcom does it quite well a lot of the time.

Of course Nintendo are nothing compared to S-E, but that doesn't excuse them. They released Mario Galaxy in the same month everywhere, and think that Europe would rather have Wii Chess, so they can wait for a good long time before releasing Brawl.

I don't agree with the argument against translation. I'm British, and I don't think I should be expected to learn another language. Why should anyone else if they want to play games? You can't blame them for being born and raised where they are.

As I keep saying, it's NOT translation. Mario Galaxy is proof.

EDIT: That's Square-Enix, not Sony >> loads of Sony games make it over just fine.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
But not even having a possible release-date for Brawl in Europe at all is just bull****. Having one would at least make the ones doing those translations and stuff trying to keep the deadline, and the game would probably come faster.

Despite the fact that Brawl has A LOT of more text to translate than Galaxy.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
NoE aren't in a hurry to finish it. The US game is probably nearly finished now, and the EU version shouldn't have taken much longer.

They're taking their GOOOOOOD TIIIIIME.

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
It's just bad planning. Sony and Microsoft can have their games released simultaneously, but Nintendo, somehow, can't.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Again, Mario Galaxy.

Nintendo think Smash Bros isn't in demand over here. Or they think Europe is fine, and doesn't need it for a little longer.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
I don't agree with the argument against translation. I'm British, and I don't think I should be expected to learn another language. Why should anyone else if they want to play games? You can't blame them for being born and raised where they are.

EDIT: That's Square-Enix, not Sony >> loads of Sony games make it over just fine.
Because you speak English, one of the most widely spoken languages in the world? In fact, it's the one language that's the most common as a second language, meaning that a game in English has a much greater chance of being understandable across the globe than a game in any other language.

I'm Swedish. I don't demand, expect or even want games to be translated into Swedish.

gangstajuice02

Smash Ace
you guys are selfish! No one hates anyone!! The ONLY reason why Europe comes later is because it is far and it goes by zones!!

sweetbrother

Smash Rookie
Of course Nintendo are nothing compared to S-E, but that doesn't excuse them. They released Mario Galaxy in the same month everywhere, and think that Europe would rather have Wii Chess, so they can wait for a good long time before releasing Brawl.

This is excatly what im trying to point out, im convinced that the delay is not for translation, because its not like they go to a great deal of translation.

lol There are very few characters that speak in smash bros, and when they do its still in japanese. i.e. Roy, Marth

I really think its the way nintendo organise there business, there clearly not as organised as other companies, but funny enough there really organised when it counts for mario galaxy.

There still doing commercials over here for mario party 8??

Theres something behind smash bros games being late that i cant put my finger on, and ill guess ill never know, also notice how nintendo europe kinda shrugged off givin us a brawl date, but were really excited to annonce mario kart wii :confused:

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
you guys are selfish! No one hates anyone!! The ONLY reason why Europe comes later is because it is far and it goes by zones!!
Um, say what? It takes them months to ship the stuff here? And it's horrendeously delayed because we have timezones (as opposed to the United States?)?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Now that would be dumb. :laugh:
Keep in mind this is the same Nintendo of Europe that waited 6 months to release Melee and SSB64 because they thought they wouldn't be received well.

Don't even get me started on Animal Crossing games.

Personally I'm really surprised by how much people don't care about games being localised into their own languages :S

Maybe this is just me being a selfish git, but I'm not willing to learn another language (except maybe Japanese) so if I was born in France, why should I be expected to learn English? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Nodonn

Smash Cadet
I'm fine with us getting the game a little later, it's the fact that they don't even bother with giving us a release date. We're getting everything way later, way more expensive AND some good games don't even come here.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Maybe this is just me being a selfish git, but I'm not willing to learn another language (except maybe Japanese) so if I was born in France, why should I be expected to learn English? It just doesn't make sense to me.
Lol, in Sweden, it's very basic to be able to speak English. And it's quite helpfull too.

Top Bottom