• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

News story: Armada Interview 8-14-09

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
(Cross-posted from Smash News at MLG_JV's request. Original article can be found here.)

For the past three months, one of the main buzzwords for Smash players around the world has been "Genesis." This wildly successful tournament was the talk of the town for Smash players before it began, and prompted even more discussion afterward.

Not only did gamers from coast to coast in the United States make the trek to attend this momentous event, but even gamers from overseas made the pilgrimage. One such participant is Adam Lindgren, a visitor from Sweden that made a gigantic impact at this competition. Adam (known by the gamer tag of "Armada") is 16 years old and the fifth child in a family of eleven kids. Unsurprisingly, he loves video games, and is into football... that is to say, the kick-kick kind, not the tackle-tackle kind. We sat down with Adam in order to get his thoughts on the tournament, as well as his trip to America and the Smash community in general. Special thanks to his brother Aniolas for providing interpretation for this interview.

Smashboards: Describe your experience arriving in the United States for a Smash Bros. tournament. Was this an exciting experience?

Armada: It really was an exciting experience indeed. I had never played against the US top players before. But I felt prepared. After all, I have attended tournaments for 4 years here.

Smashboards: How big of an impact do you think you made competing at Genesis? Do you like the attention you've received since then?

Armada: In my opinion, U.S. players have always underestimated European ones, so it was fun to make it across the pond and prove that we, too know how to play Smash.

Smashboards: How much different do you feel the competitive environment was in Genesis than locally?

Armada: There are more good players in the United States, and the scene is so much bigger. But I think that the top players from Europe would give the top players from the States a good match.

Smashboards: All told, how much money did it cost to make the trip to Genesis?

Armada: The flight cost a little more than 1300 dollars. Then BART, bus, and things like that cost maybe 50 dollars total.

Smashboards: How long have you been gaming competitively? And how much time have you spent playing the Smash Bros. games specifically?

Armada: My first tournament was the Swedish Nintendo Championships 2003, and my first Smash Bros. tournament was RoS, hosted by Helios, in 2005.

Smashboards: There has been a constant on-going debate on whether Meta Knight should be allowed in tournament play. What is your region’s stance on this? And do you personally agree with it?

Armada: Brawl isn't played as much in Europe as it is in the States. Maybe that's why don't just have MKs in the top. At any rate, there's no one talking about banning MK here, and I'm fine with that.

Smashboards: Where do you feel the metagame of Brawl will go from here? Do you foresee certain characters being used more in the near future?

Armada: I guess we will see more Ice Climbers in the future. That's my only guess for now.

Smashboards: Who do you feel were some of the stand-out performers at Genesis?

Armada: I was really surprised that Zhu got that far. I had heard about him before I came to Genesis, and thought he was top 20 in the US, but he still impressed me quite a bit. The other one that really stepped up was Hungrybox, I don't think anyone would guess that he would get 3rd.

Smashboards: One question that people always want to know the answer to is what sort of mindset the big winners have going into tournaments. What sorts of things do you think about as you prepare to compete?

Armada: I tell myself that I will win. The other guy may be good, but he won't beat me. The second you doubt yourself and think you'll lose, you'll lose. Believe in yourself.

Smashboards: As a follow-up, what general advice would you give to gamers new to the competitive scene?

Armada: Stick to one character and practice until you really master that character. It's better to be good with one character than not-so-good with several. Try to play against different people, and against all characters so you learn how to play in a certain matchup.

Smashboards: How do you feel about online Smash Bros? Do you play online much?

Armada: Don't like it at all, it lags too much for me. Like the idea, but I don't play it.

Smashboards: What other games (if any) do you like to play competitively now?

Armada: SSB64... ohh, and Mario Party. Awesome game to have tournament in!

Smashboards: Do you feel you’ll probably come back to America for another major Smash tournament?

Armada: Yeah, I'll come to Pound 4, if I and my brother can get housing. Otherwise, I won't be able to afford it.

Smashboards: And finally, if you were faced with a horde of zombies, what weapon would you use to fight them all off? Style factor is a major grading point, here.

Armada: I would pull up a stitchface and combo them like I did with Mango.

~

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
\
Smashboards: And finally, if you were faced with a horde of zombies, what weapon would you use to fight them all off? Style factor is a major grading point, here.

Armada: I would pull up a stitchface and combo them like I did with Mango.

~
HAHAHAH, what a guy.

You know what?

Because of that answer, he actually reminds me of Mango himself. He's out for blood.

Great interview orion ;D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Thanks, guys. Ironically, I think making this a sticky made it less visible. :laugh:

holypho

Smash Apprentice
armada's stichface combo is extremely difficult to pull of and so creative that i doubt very very very few ppl would come up with some other variation of that combo...

JoinDaTeam

Smash Rookie
Hello and welcome, we are the trolls of smashboards. Playing jokes are our specialty and we usally get banned for fighting with the moderators. We've made a tons of alternate accounts.

If you want to come and rule smashboards with us, Please check out this video if your with us and want to take over smashboards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKhr6Aqzw18

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Unsticking this since it's been here for a while.
Feel free to pimp slap me JV if you wanted this kept stuck :p

Top Bottom