• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Upstate New York Tournament Thread

Foy

Smash Champion
There are some people like bry and me and rob and jesse, that will want to get good at smash no matter what you do. I started playing melee with goodies in 06 and he consistently 4 stocked me with minimal effort. He even4 stocked me with game and watch using nothing but wavedash backwards, to wavedash forwards fair. Thats what made me pick up Gwatch and why its so **** now.

Jesse had a similar story, he used to talk maddddd junk about how amazing he was, only to get repeatedly obliterated by goodies, and pikapika, and rick and amanda and PJ (the last 3 being old melee players that dont come to tourneys anymore) and that inspired him to get better.

but the majority of people arent like that. most players that have their first encounter with the competitive scene of a video game, wont continue to play the game if they dont believe that they themselves can achieve the level necessary to beat the people that they play with.

because of that, normally if you are way better and playing with somebody who one of those best-on-my-block types, you dont want to just destroy them. That will just immasculate them and disuade them from playing further. and then they wont want to play with you anymore regardless of how much potential they may have. if you are going to beat them, you want to beat them by a small enough margin that will make them think that they can eventually get good enough to beat you. if possible also do one or two things that theyve never seen before. because that will give them a reason to get better at the game.

You can than give them small tips and inch them along the path of getting better, until they come to you and ask you how to really get good.

its a very delicate process, because if you ever make it so that its not fun for them anymore, theyll stop playing.
you have to make yourself better...

don't count on practice you get with others...

it's the ability inside yourself you have to release!

there is flowing energy in all of us. the molecules in our body are traceable to the big bang. free your mind and travel through time to find answers about the universe

after this u can get good at smash bros.

also its just about being smar ttoo.

i can win matches without short hopping with fox and when i dont feel like concentrating i do that i just play full jump bair fox and its just as good u just gotta be smarter and bait/punish/mindgame but mostly baiting and punishing that's what every fighter hsa every been about\

but no really if anyone wants to get good i can get your brain into another dimension and you'll know more about life in general

also basically ppl can come play me whenever like seriously if we r playing its playing to get bteter i am almost always trying new things as opposed to using things i kno work

its alot about experimenting and its also all about playing against cpu level 1

ill edit this with more good info as time passes or just make new posts
Cool Ten 10s

Gaia_x

Smash Champion
Mana just come over to my place every once and awhile. I like to get better at melee but the lack of players willing to play in my area are preventing me from that. I dont think im to far under the skill levels of those on our melee PR.

Foy

Smash Champion
Hey Gaia. Convince mana to pick you up then bring you to my house and ill teach you.

West Coast taught me how to do things.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
foy you bring cura to me! LOL but no really I am super broke and can't travel outside of tournys. i have an empty bed at all times and the room to myself. plus weed food w/e

altairian

Smash Lord
Imagine how good you'd be at smash if you spent all the time in your sig smashing instead.
Dude. For real. But honestly almost all of this anime that I've watched was during the ~5 year period between when I stopped playing melee (due to not owning a gc and having nobody to play with) and when I found a random local brawl tournament, decided to enter because "i used to be the **** at melee" and got completely ***** by some really awful ike and decided to buy myself a wii and get in to competitive Brawl. You have no idea how much I wish I had owned a gc for that whole period I didn't play so that I could have learned AT's and had something resembling tech skill when I decided to get back in to smash.

Time spent watching anime is time well spent. Altairian is gonna get pretty **** good real soon, just you guys watch!
Agreed on the first point, and much <3 for believing in me, I'll try not to let you down!

There are some people like bry and me and rob and jesse, that will want to get good at smash no matter what you do. I started playing melee with goodies in 06 and he consistently 4 stocked me with minimal effort. He even4 stocked me with game and watch using nothing but wavedash backwards, to wavedash forwards fair. Thats what made me pick up Gwatch and why its so **** now.

Jesse had a similar story, he used to talk maddddd junk about how amazing he was, only to get repeatedly obliterated by goodies, and pikapika, and rick and amanda and PJ (the last 3 being old melee players that dont come to tourneys anymore) and that inspired him to get better.

but the majority of people arent like that. most players that have their first encounter with the competitive scene of a video game, wont continue to play the game if they dont believe that they themselves can achieve the level necessary to beat the people that they play with.

because of that, normally if you are way better and playing with somebody who one of those best-on-my-block types, you dont want to just destroy them. That will just immasculate them and disuade them from playing further. and then they wont want to play with you anymore regardless of how much potential they may have. if you are going to beat them, you want to beat them by a small enough margin that will make them think that they can eventually get good enough to beat you. if possible also do one or two things that theyve never seen before. because that will give them a reason to get better at the game.

You can than give them small tips and inch them along the path of getting better, until they come to you and ask you how to really get good.

its a very delicate process, because if you ever make it so that its not fun for them anymore, theyll stop playing.
It depends very much on the person. But in general I would say that if they're going to get mad and walk away and never play with you again because you 3 stock them or something, they aren't going to stick to the competitive scene no matter what you do. Getting people to come to one or two tourneys is fine, but I'd rather find people that will come to all of them. You can't create a competitive drive or a love for the game in people.

I think what matters more than anything is your attitude. I don't know Goodies well, but he seems like an amazingly nice and fun guy from what I've seen, so I have a feeling that not only was it still fun to play with him even when you were losing badly, but he was offering you advice and helping you learn at the same time. The community is the heart of this game, and in the short time I've been a member of it I've had people tell me that the community more than anything is the reason they continue to play. It's certainly a big reason why I not only continue to play, but want to help the community grow as well.

So yeah, basically don't be a **** and offer advice to people is what I'm saying :p

and on a final note:
ANYONE STILL THINKING ABOUT ATTENDING POUND 4
I'm seeing if there's enough people from upstate NY to split a hotel room for it to actually be affordable. Toss me a PM if you're interested.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
how is that sad? i say ****ing do it for those who can
the sheer amount of talent at pound 4 will be inexplicable...

altairian

Smash Lord
Well the hotel room is like 89 or 99 a night cause we're getting a special rate for the event. So 2 nights divided between 8 people would be like 25 bucks a piece. We're up to 3 now I guess, so hopefully we get a few more and we can do this XD

Sharky

Smash Master
hmmm

if you can get more people, or cram at gaia's place lol, I'll consider going.

I'd need a ride though of course =/

altairian

Smash Lord
Heh there's no way I can make any tourneys the next 2 weeks. I work retail. At 2 jobs. It's impossible lol.

I'm down for cramming in to Cura's house on P4 weekend too, I just want to make it out of state sometime and meet some of the other smashboarders that I've gotten to know that aren't upstate NY. We better get a lot of ****ing people though XD

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
you dont need a lot of people, just people with the combined resources necessary

I went oos for 3 tourneys over the summer, 2 of em just with neil, and 1 with neil and jesse

Kantō

Smash Champion
i would like to go out of state if i had some dough and the time off from work, at the same time....

altairian

Smash Lord
you dont need a lot of people, just people with the combined resources necessary

I went oos for 3 tourneys over the summer, 2 of em just with neil, and 1 with neil and jesse
The "a lot of people" comment was meant for the smashfest at cura's. Cause whether it's P4 or Cura's, I want that weekend to be epic :p

Also traveling out of state is closer than traveling in state in some cases for me :p

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yo, it might just be me, but just because of the increased viability of low tiers in brawl, its not as appealing to me.

melee low tiers is fun but not optimal... even tho my game and watch is absolutely rapetastic.

its probably not feasible in the slightest, but you know what would be an epic side event? another game.

like straight up, if we could have an SF4/T6/BB tourney, that would be cool, I kinda wanna get good at those again.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
tekken 6

also, who am I going to team with? do I take san again?

I need to practice with him more if we are going to beat neil and jesse.

Kantō

Smash Champion
oh T6, tekken 6. lol i havent played that game yet. i could try and do something like that but i would need someone that knows all the rules and whatnot for whatever game that will be played.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
oh T6, tekken 6. lol i havent played that game yet. i could try and do something like that but i would need someone that knows all the rules and whatnot for whatever game that will be played.
none of the other fighting games need rulesets, they dont have items and stocks and % meters lol.

20 bucks says whoever i team with. Me and him will win syracuse.

cus lord knows youre too scrub to win anything worthwhile in singles...

also, you DO realise that this isnt the tourney thread right?

also, change of subject, of all the rochester people, between the next 3 weeks, what would be the best day(s) for a smash fest at angels place

Top Bottom