• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New (?) Techniques - Ghost Floating and Ghost Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Eight years later, and still new techniques are being discovered! Who said Melee is done evolving?

I found two new techniques recently - Ghost Floating and Ghost Landing. I'll explain Ghost Floating first because the same mechanics are what make Ghost Landing possible.

**edit: A few tourney players I talked to have already seen Ghost Floating, but they don't believe it's widely known. I haven't talked to anybody about Ghost Landing yet, though, so I don't know if it's out there yet.

- Ghost Floating/DJC Float

How to Perform: Initiate a Jump. In the first few frames that Peach begins to leave the ground, press Down+Jump at the same time. The timing is strict, but the technique is repeatable on command.

Here's how the timing works - when Peach does a Jump from the ground, the Jump animation has three visible phases. Watch the back of her dress in 1/4 time as she does a single jump. The dress' back half will expand (wind-up), the dress' back will snap back to her body (post wind-up), then Peach will leave the ground. During the "post wind-up" phase is when you would input the Down+Jump. Alternatively, you can hold Down during the "wind-up" phase and just press Jump during the "post wind-up." If done correctly, you will hear Peach's double-jump sound as she drops into the Ghost Float.

Effect: The bottom quarter of Peach's body is now buried in the platform you jumped off of. When Peach stops floating, she instantly lands back on top of the platform. To compare float heights, Instant Float and Ghost Float into a standing Ganondorf while he faces to the right. The difference is clear.

Why significant: The Ghost Float reduces Peach's vulnerable area during floating, making close-to-the-ground floating approaches and float-based edge-guards slightly safer. Also, doing a ground move after a float is faster with Ghost Float than any other float* by a few frames. The extra speed comes from the fact that Peach is closer to the ground (partly inside it) during a Ghost Float, so she doesn't need to fall as far before she's counted as standing.

* (Ghost Landing excepting, but more on that later)

Also, for fall-through platforms - if you Instant Float d-air on a fall-through platform, the attack normally doesn't reach below. If you d-air too soon after ducking through the platform, Peach gets stuck in her d-air landing animation instead of kicking. If you do a Ghost Float d-air, however, Peach will kick through the platform AND land back on it when you release the jump button.

-Ghost Landing

Peach doesn't land when her feet touch the ground. In fact, they go INTO the ground before her landing animation begins. Is there a way to take advantage of this? You bet there is!

Make Peach face left so you can see her red heels easier, then do a single jump. Watch when she lands relative to when her feet pass into the ground. During the period that her legs are sinking into the platform (after the toes first enter but before her landing animation), press and hold Jump, then Down immediately afterward.

If your timing was correct, Peach's body will sink FURTHER into the platform before she initiates a float. With perfect timing, you can get her entire lower body buried so that only her waist and up are showing.

Even if you used your double-jump, you can still do a Ghost Landing by pressing Down+Jump when Peach's feet are in the ground. The maximum depth will just be the same as a normal Ghost Float instead of the added depth of a single-jump Ghost Landing.

"So what's the big deal? How is this different from Ghost Floating?"

Well, there are three answers to that question.

1) At maximum depth, Peach will have around half of her body height exposed. This is FAR less vulnerable area than a normal Instant Float or even a Ghost Float.

2) (MOST IMPORTANT) If Peach's body is submerged deeply into the platform after a Ghost Landing, she can perform ANY ground move instantly by letting go of Jump. Her feet will warp instantaneously back to the surface and the move you input will execute. This means you can D-smash out of a Float approach using the Ghost Landing, for example. Remember, this lets you do ANY move that you could do on the ground instantly out of a Float, including a jump, float, shield-grab, or wavedash.

3) All aerials can be deployed from any Ghost Float, but not for any Ghost Landing. Ghost Landings have the potential to drop deeper into the ground than Ghost Floats, which max out at a relatively shallow depth.

Depending on the depth Peach's body is submerged, different aerials will cancel the float before the hitbox even deploys. In order from shallow to deep, the aerials' depths at which they can still be deployed are U-air, D-air, F-air, B-air, and N-air (U-air cancels at shallowest depth, N-air at deepest). Also, the landing lag from canceling the float with an aerial is longer than if you cancel the float by just releasing Jump.

I think these Float exploits can add new depth to Peach's game. Thoughts, anyone?

Kenji_x

Smash Rookie
I haven't tried it yet, but this sounds pretty useful. I hope there are more post mortem ATs in Melee.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I've done a few things like this before, but ive never really found a use for them in a match though. They are too hard to set up quickly enough to use.

Jewdo

Smash Journeyman
Post mortem? More like "pre-Rennaissance!" *sigh* Just kidding. A guy can dream, right?

@Cheap Peach: The Ghost Float, if you can perform it on command, is just as fast (if not faster) than an Instant Float. Though there is no frame penalty for performing it, the move's timing could make it tough to do in a real match.

After trying to use it in real combat, I agree with you about the Ghost Landing though. In order to pull it off, Peach has to be able to complete a short hop while doing NOTHING without getting punished. Haven't been able to use it in a way that amounts to more than showing off, so for now, it's just a cool party trick.

Thanks for replying to the thread, guys. It's been pretty...empty around here. Thought there'd be more people around with all the Brawl protesting going on.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
I dont think these techniques are knew they are just very unseen and unused. Kindly you can turn around while running at any point with a DJ real quick and turn it into a dash attack. But its still good to post it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom