• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Smash Bros for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I would like an excuse to write more cheesy Super Smash Romance... Here's to hoping, Sakurai!

Pickle

Smash Apprentice
Rutherford, New Jersey (Blowin' **** Up!)
On the subject of Eggplant Wizard, I am not advocating for him in any way, shape or form, but he does have plenty of moveset potential (despite this one being highly needlessly complicated). I think he'd be the coolest Kid Icarus newcomer, but he's blatantly outclassed by Medusa, Palutena and Magnus for the slot. Is he even in Uprising?
Not sure if he's in uprising.... But at least an assit trophy would be nice.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Not true. That seems to imply Black Knight was merely a boss battle Ike fought on several occasions. Bear in mind, that Zelgius (Black Knight's true identity) was the commander of Bengion's Central Army, together with the guise of Black Knight, I'd argue he's the deepest character who was developed throughout the Tellius Series. Moreso than Ike or Michaiah actually. (Those of you who finished with the final true ending know all about this).

Anyway, aside from story importance... Fire Emblem had two reps when it was Japan-Only, it's far more popular now, western releases sell more than Japan-Only, so that franchise boomed. It's characters are also VERY rich in fighter potential. Black Knight stands as the most likely newcomer. He's rivalled only by Lyn (who had a brief window of popularity, as why she's the assist trophy. She's since fallen by the wayside, only mentioned by non-FE speculators). Those who know Fire Emblem realize in the grand scheme, she's not important, being one of three main characters in her game, and being the primary in the tutorial section only. Caeda is the other contender, who's from Marth's series as the deuteragonist, she is Marth's wife later in the series. Drawbacks? Well, she's a cavalry fighter. It's integral to her fighting style, taking her off horseback would be like stripping Dedede of his hammer, yes it could work, but it's not how he fights.

The only drawback? If Fire Emblem gets no newcomers. Then obviously, no. But if they do, count on Black Knight.

There's also no chance of a new Fire Emblem coming out soon enough for a Lord to arrive. The newest Fire Emblem 12 has yet to be localized (Expect late august), which is only a remake of Marth's famicom game.

^^^THIS!!!!!

You da man! :cool:

:phone:

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
As much as I've warmed up to Burger Knight, I think there's a better chance that FE would get no new characters before we got him.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Black Knight is easily the third Fire Emblem slot, due to villains getting in third, plus him adding more to the table than another sword user (which Sakurai seems to think the series is all about, hence no lance or axe users).

Although I doubt his chances to begin with, because Ike already fills the niche of heavyweight sword user in both Smash and FE (in addition to Ganondorf, if he becomes de-cloned).

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Captain Syrup gentlemen. How do you feel her chances are? (Too lazy to wait for SSBF's thread)

Underrated but deserving? Or underrated and staying obscure?

Barbasol

Smash Ace
Black Knight is easily the third Fire Emblem slot, due to villains getting in third, plus him adding more to the table than another sword user (which Sakurai seems to think the series is all about, hence no lance or axe users).

Although I doubt his chances to begin with, because Ike already fills the niche of heavyweight sword user in both Smash and FE (in addition to Ganondorf, if he becomes de-cloned).
Mhm, Ike being heavy-weight does possibly raise an issue or two. The General Unit Type (which Black Knight is) is still quite different, I'd imagine Black Knight would be a similar heavy type, but utilize less broad stroking attacks like Ike, and have more precise stabbing hitboxes. Who knows, in the games, he can use lances and Javelins, Alondite also has ranged abilities. It's not like there can be only one heavy-sword user.

I'd imagine Black Knight could very well become the heaviest character in the game thanks to his suit.

@Shinhed

I'd say Syrup probably won't make it as playable. Though she'd be great as a boss or Assist Trophy.

Yoshi and Wario's series' kind of draw parallels, Syrup is sort-of Kamek for the series. I wouldn't expect Wario to get any more reps.

OmegaXXII

Captain Syrup gentlemen. How do you feel her chances are? (Too lazy to wait for SSBF's thread)

Underrated, not deserving, maybe a sticker :p

What about Lip? Novone around here seems to talk about her, why? She seems like an interesting character!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sakurai hates Wario Land, therefore no Captain Syrup.
He does?

Nah, he wouldn't be able to resist Miyamoto's smile while he tells him it's a great game full of great ideas.

Miyamoto can make a game about you holding the wiimote with your nose sound like a lot of fun, and sell millions with it.

Omega: I want Lip. And she isn't talked about too much.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, considering he went out of his way to keep all Wario content in Brawl strictly WarioWARE, it's certainly a reasonable assumption.

OmegaXXII

Absolutely! That could be useful, BK is pretty underrated. I'm off for now, but feel free to hit me up with a PM. :)
Sure, I'll hit you up with some ideas and you'll finally get to see my Black Knight moveset I've created as well. :)

@shin: I'll post my complete in depth moveset concerning him so don't worry.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm just going to toss this out here:

I think Burger Knight would be on the most extreme end of "big, heavy, slow, and powerful." About the size of Ganondorf, slower than even Jigglypuff, At least of equal weight to Bowser. All of his moves would be VERY laggy, but highly damaging. As well as loads of range for normals with that huge ***-sword. He'd have so many invincibility frames, it'd be like fighting a character with a perpetual Metal Box. Which is good, because if you manage to knock him off the stage, he's likely not coming back up due to his terrible recovery.

A character like that would be pretty interesting, I think.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Sure, I'll hit you up with some ideas and you'll finally get to see my Black Knight moveset I've created as well. :)

@shin: I'll post my complete in depth moveset concerning him so don't worry.

Great! Can't wait! I know he resembles de Knight class from original Fire Emblem (those really heavy dudes with a lance) but outside a few thrusts and slashes, and maybe even a javelin throw, I can't see the guy doing much more. So post away once it's ready.

Anybody got a Toad moveset?

OmegaXXII

I'm just going to toss this out here:

I think Burger Knight would be on the most extreme end of "big, heavy, slow, and powerful." About the size of Ganondorf, slower than even Jigglypuff, At least of equal weight to Bowser. All of his moves would be VERY laggy, but highly damaging. As well as loads of range for normals with that huge ***-sword. He'd have so many invincibility frames, it'd be like fighting a character with a perpetual Metal Box. Which is good, because if you manage to knock him off the stage, he's likely not coming back up due to his terrible recovery.

A character like that would be pretty interesting, I think.
Well, tbh you got some of it correct; however he would necessary have very laggy move as you mentioned, in a way he would sort of handle his Utilts, Dtilts like Snake does, they are incrediabke powerful but just a bit laggier due to his weight, sure you can say he'll be the slowest character like Ganon was but not necessarily as bad.

So...of the Black Knight

Let's talk about Lip, who shows interest in her? I do..

@shin: I shall convince you for the better. :cool:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want Lip to have these moves:

-Block stack up. (Summons a block ahead of her, that materializes a few feet above and in front of her. You can "stack" more of these blocks until they start to disappear over time.)

-Position Switch (Change places with your opponent)

Outside these moves, I don't care what else is added to Lip.

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
Even though the Black Knight isn't a highly requested character compared to the other five; I believe he was at least worth mentioning, sure you can argue about his chances being low, but you can't rule him out just yet, if Sakurai is known for something it's to surprise and give us the unexpected so I wouldn't rule him out just yet.

As for King K. Rool, it's agreed that he's deserving enough but don't forget, he also faces opposition from Dixie Kong who Sakurai actually considered at one point during development, what it means is that Sakurai might want to bring back the idea of Dixie to Smash 4, of course this is only saying if she were a solo character which we all know she's likely to be in a duo with Diddy Kong, so yes K. Rool can be considered as deserving but his absence from DK Returns is what's hurting his chances ATM.

As for Medusa, remember she will be in the upcoming Kid Icarus game and unlike K. Rool, she doesn't face oppossition from such a character from the series, maybe Palutena but not as much.
All these surprises have been on retro characters, not more recent characters like Black Knight. He does have a chance, but it's a small one and not one I would hope for.

You have a good point with Dixie, but I would not be surprise if Dixie Kong were to be paired up with Diddy for SSB4 and King K. Rool take the third slot. Either way, even thought Dixie Kong was considered, King K. Rool has a much better shot at taking the third slot as I doubt Dixie Kong will get in by herself.
BKupa666 said:
And in terms of her fanbase, I think this is a case of exaggeration by her supporters (I'm indifferent, as long as she doesn't usurp a slot from a more deserving franchise newcomer). Her fanbase has only really kicked up after this summer's E3 (a little over a month ago)...no one was suggesting Medusa when she was first revealed at E3 2010, or because she was a retro female villain from the 80's. Even now, I doubt many people would even care about Medusa if Sakurai weren't in charge of Kid Icarus, which is where I think she draws the majority of her chances from. The roster will be decided in October this year, before Kid Icarus gets released (I believe...), so I doubt Medusa will garner that large of a fanbase outside message boards or hardcore fans who watch E3 and see trailers (the audience Sakurai -doesn't- cater to, in other words), or much of a large fanbase compared to fellow villains Ridley and K. Rool.

I don't want to attempt to second-guess Sakurai, because of his apparent instability, but if I had to guess, I would think he'd be a bit more humble toward his creations this go around, due to him pimping Kirby hardcore in Brawl, just like he apparently made Melee Kirby a bad character, because he was so good in SSB64, and didn't add Dedede to Melee because of his humble attitude.
Three months may be all she needs to get in SSB4, but her fan base has been growing ever since E3 2010, so it's not like she has been completely forgotten before this year. By the time Kid Icarus: Uprising is released, it will have had lots of time to gain lots of sales and Medusa will be that much more prominent to gamers all over the world. A late 2013-late 2014 release is plenty of time IMO and there's always that chance that Sakurai will include Medusa due to raving sales of Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Also, this isn't Sakurai's creation, so I doubt he'll be "humble" towards Kid Icarus.
shinhed-echi said:

Probably not going to happen. Wario does not need a second rep and all her support comes off the fact that she's a villain and a female. At least Medusa has a lot more going for her then that.

OmegaXXII

Anybody got a Toad moveset?
Here's a great moveset done by my buddy beserker, he's the biggest Toad supporter I know. Enjoy!

Toad's moveset:
By berserker 01. Animations made by AEM and sprites by medvock

Toad

"I'm the best"

Toad is one of the main protagonists in the Mario series. Just like Yoshi, he is a singular character from the other toads. He's appeared in various mario games such as the spin-offs, super mario bros 2, new super mario bros wii and mario galaxy. He also had his own game, Wario Woods, where in he was the main character.

Stats:

Toad is known for his quick speed and superhuman strength that surpasses even Mario and Luigi's! Unfortunately, his size and weight make him easy to KO however which also shortens his range. Good thing he has powerful and quick attacks! He's quite a combo character plus a quick character with the tools to camp which shows his superior item using skills plus he uses his power over the mushrooms by emitting spores.

STR:
(As powerful as Kirby)
WEIGHT:
(As light as Olimar)
SPEED:
(As fast as Meta Knight)
ATK SPD:
(As fast Toon Link)
SHIELD:
(As small as Olimar)
SIZE:
(Slightly bigger than Kirby)
JUMP:
(As low as Link's)

Pros and cons:

Pros:
+ Excellent projectiles (Ice flower, bob-omb buddy)
+ Quite strong and fast attacks for his size
+ Small size makes him hard to hit
+ Great grab game
+ Fast speed

Cons:
- Small shield
- Easy to KO
- Horrible crouch/duck
- Short/horrible range
- Low jump

MOVESET

Specials

Neutral B: Ice Flower

Toad brings out the ice flower and shoots an ice ball. The ice ball travels slower but longer than a fireball. When in contact or when it doesn't make contact with the enemy for a few seconds, it will burst and damage 9-12%

A great projectile that can be used for camping and mindgames. The slow speed but long travel distance can be used to Toad's advantage. This can't be clanked. If the opponent tries to clash with it, it explodes on the enemy. What makes this move unique is that you can amplify it with the other moves of Toad.

Origin and defense: Was used by Toad in NSMB Wii. Why can't Toad use it if Mario can use a fire flower. I doubt that's his signature. That goes for Luigi.

2nd option Neutral B: Bomb

Toad pulls out a bomb from Wario’s Woods. If B is pressed again Toad will place the bomb on the ground and kick and the bomb. It deals 15% damage

One of Toad's most useful moves. It's main purpose is for camping. It has a huge effect on shield and it kills at a moderately low percent. Just like the ice flower, you can't clank with the projectile.

Origin: Was used in Wario's Woods

Forward Special : Toad rush

Toad rushes the enemy and carries him. You can throw him left, right, up or down. You can spin him around by holding A which does 3% damage per second. Throwing the enemy deals 10% damage.

Toad's main rush attack and it has Super armor (Not flinching against attacks below 10%!). Spinning the enemy around damages another enemy also if he gets in contact with the spin. You can throw the enemy in mid-air which could be used as a chain grab if you're fast enough (Down throw in the air aganist the ground).

Throws:
Spin

Forward throw

Upward throw

Downward throw

Backward throw

Origin: Was used by Toad in SMB 2.

2nd option Forward B : Kart

Toad rides on a kart and smashes through his opponent dealing 6% damage. He can ride it as long as he doesn't get hit a lot or if he jumps out of it.

One of Toad's unique attacks. You can use your ice flower or friendly bob-ombs while riding. This can be also used to run from your opponent OR rush to your opponent. Be warned though, if you are hit by an attack that damages over 6%, you will be kicked off your kart.

Origin and defense: Was used by Toad in the Mario Kart series. I made it different from Wario's bijke. It does not act as a recovery.

Downward B : Friendly Bob-Omb

Toad throws 1, 2 or 3 friendly bob ombs. The Bob-ombs follow it's closest enemy and when touches the enemy, it explodes. It can also be detonated by Toad if Toad commands them to.

These guys are your allies and your main tool for camping. You can hold down the B button to summon more bob-ombs until 3. To control the direction, hold the analog to whatever direction you want to throw it. These guys pack a punch but they explode when they even touch the enemy's shield. Use them properly and avoid HITTING them.

Origin and defense: Was used by Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2 except it was black so I mixed it with the bob-omb buddies from Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy 2. There's nothing wrong with this move

2nd option Downward Special : Pluck

Toad plucks out an item from the ground. It's either a vegetable, a mushroom block or a shy guy.

It works like Peach's down special except with different items. The vegetable damages 9% and has an 80% chance of being plucked, a mushroom block deals 30% damage and has a 30% chance of being plucked and a Shy Guy works like a Waddle Dee except it's heavier and harder to kill. It deals 20% damage. It's one of Toad's main tools for camping.

Origin and defense: Was used by Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2. It works like Peach's Down B so there's no problem here

Upward B : Propeller Cap

Toad pulls out his propeller cap and flies into the air dealing 2% per hit (Total of 6%). He can drill downwards by holding the analog down dealing damage until the ground impact.

Toad's main recovery and a good one! He can use his ice flower while recovering but he can't use his bob-omb pals! The recovery goes as high as ROB's recovery. Unfortunately, he's pretty vulnerable to attacks despite his ability to use an ice flower during the special.

Origin and defense: Was used by Toad in New Super Mario Bros Wii. Then again, Mario uses a fire flower and a CAPE. Why can't Toad use an ice flower and a propeller cap?

2nd option Upward Special : Super Jump

Toad charges then jumps in mid air!

The recovery is as high as Sonic's recovery. While rising up, it deals 10% damage. He's not helpless after but he can't jump or recover.

Origin: Was used by Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2.

Attacks

Neutral combo : The usual punch - punch - kick combo

Toad does 2 punches then kicks! Simple but it packs a punch however, it lacks range. It damages 12% (3% - 4% - 5%).

All around great move. The punches can be cancelled and followed up to another attack while the kick does impressive but subpar knockback on the enemy. This is usually one of Toad's main combo starters so use it if your rushing down the opponent.

Dash attack : Mushroom charge

Toad slowly gets ready and bashes his head dealing high damage. It deals 13% damage

Very strong attack but one of Toad's slow attacks. It's best used to punish enemies. It poses high priority that can clank with Mach tornado so this counts as an approach.

Forward tilt : The Toad Kick!

Toad tries to stretch his kick! It may be short but it hits hard.... Damages 10%

Great attack for spacing and finishing combos on the ground. It's actually one of Toad's longer ranged moves but it's still short either way.

Upward tilt : The Toad upper

Toad bashes his head upwards and does an uppercut dealing 8 damage!

Quick, short ranged and weak but what makes up for all of this is that you can chain this attack depending on the weight of the character:

Super heavy - 6 times
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Snake
King Dedede
Charizard
Ganondorf

Heavy - 5 times
Samus
Yoshi
Wario
ROB
Ike
Captain Falcon
Link

Medium - 4 times
Wolf
Lucario
Ivysaur
Mario
Luigi
Sonic
Ness
Lucas

Light - 3 times
Pit
Diddy Kong
Ice Climbers
Toon Link
Peach
Marth
Shiek
Zelda

Super Light - 2 times
Falco
Olimar
Zero Suit Samus
Fox
Meta Knight
Pikachu
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Squirtle
Jigglypuff

You can also combo this with another move instead of repeating it. This makes it more helpful for Toad to deal with close combat situations.

Downward Tilt : The "Clap"

Toad ducks and claps causing unusually strong knockback if the enemy is hit by Toad's hands but weak knockback if the enemy is hit by the small waves of the attack. It deals 11% damage sweetspotted and 6% if sourspotted

One of Toad's better combo finishers. It's not a great move for spacing since it's short ranged even compared to Toad's attacks. The knockback of this is somewhat huge showing the superhuman strength beneath Toad.

Smashes

Forward smash : Spores

Ignore Peach in the picture

Toad gets ready and spits his spores onto the enemy dealing extremely high damage, high range and high knockback however, it's really, really slow... It deals 22 - 30% damage

A move that should be used in caution. Luckily, this move poses high priority, range, power and damage but the sluggish start up is what makes this move really hard to use in combat. It's a good move to use to punish enemies or to outprioritize their rush attacks.

Origin: Was used by Toad in Super smash bros.

Upward smash : Rising mushrooms!

Toad summons his mushroom in front of him and sends the enemy upwards! Deals 11 - 19% damage...

Toad's surprise attack. It has normal knockback, damage and range so it's an average smash. You can use this to surprise your enemy especially if they're close to you since the mushroom comes out of no where. This makes the enemies fear going close to you since they don't know when Toad uses the U-smash.....

Origin: Was used by Toad in Mario Sports mix.

Downward smash : Double Mushroom

Toad summons 2 mushrooms around him and spins it around him dealing 10 - 18% damage

Toad's quickest smash attack and arguably the best way for him to space. The long range and normal knockback helps Toad really well in camping or in finishing combos. The priority isn't much but it's still pretty high but it doesn't deal that much damage. It's still one of Toad's greatest assets.

Origin: Was used by Toad in Mario Sports mix.

Aerials

Neutral aerial : Toad star!

Toad stretches his hands and legs around damaging 10% sweetspotted or 6% sourspotted.

Toad's main combo finisher in the air. This is one of the moves that can be followed up from his upward attack. The range is what makes this attack risky as an individual attack so this attack must be accompanied with a quick attack or a combo starter.

Forward aerial : Toad smash

Toad smashes his head on the enemy sending him/her downwards. Deals 14% damage

Another of Toad's combo finishers but it's ending lag is sluggish. It's one of the stronger meteor smashes in the game but be precise with it because if you miss with Toad's forward aerial, you will be harshly punished.

Backward aerial : Back kick

Toad kicks backwards dealing 8% damage

Great combo attack from start to end in ground or air. You can short hop it to start a combo or spam it in the air. It doesn't deal much knockback but that's what the combo advantage is for anyway.

Upward aerial : Flip kick

Toad flips his feet and deals 10% damage with low knockback

Another of Toad's combo attacks and a great tool for juggling. The low knockback can make you chain it repeatedly. It's also a great asset to Toad's neutral aerial (The Toad star) and to Toad's backward aerial (Back kick).

Downward aerial : Toad meteor

Toad sends himself downwards to the ground. It deals 12% damage

One of Toad's staple and best combo finishers in his moveset. He can short hop this after a jab cancel or use it during a chain of back kicks or flip kicks. The strong knockback is what really supports this move. The landing lag though is quite punishable so this is a bit risky against heavy characters.

Grabs

Toad can grab in mid-air and ground

Pummel : Headbutt

Toad slowly gets ready headbutts the enemy dealing 3% damage

Forward throw : Carry

Toad carries the enemy around. He can throw the enemy which deals 8% damage.

Origin: Was used by Toad in Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario woods and NSMB Wii.

Backward throw : Drop kick

Toad throws the enemy backwards and kicks him away! Deals 10% damage.

Upward throw : Headbutt upward

Toad uses the back of his head and hits the enemy upwards. Deals 9% damage.

Downward throw : Breakdance

Toad break dances and makes the enemy slide on the ground causing a trip/prat fall effect on him/her. It deals 8% damage.

Other attacks

Get up attack (Below 100%) : Double blow

Toad gets up and emits spore around him. It deals 11%

Get up attack (100% up) : Head bash

Toad struggles to get up and waves his head upwards. It damages 8%

Edge attack (Below 100%) : Breakdance

Toad climbs up the edge and does a break dance. It does 12%

Edge attack (100% up) : Head strike

Toad climbs up the edge and forcefully charges his head to the enemy. It does 11% damage.

FINAL SMASH
STARSHROOM!

Toad calls his starshroom and boards it! Now he's ready to crush enemies and shoot them down! Here are the controls of the starshroom:

Reticule:

A - Boost forward
B - Star shot
X/Y - Boost up (The starshroom boosts upwards)
C stick/R analog - Move target reticle
Control stick/L analog - Move ship

FINAL SMASH(2nd option)
RAINBOW STAR!!!

Toad pulls out a rainbow star and abosorbs it's power turning more powerful and grants him the ability not to flinch no matter how powerful the enemy's attack is! It also enhances Toad's moveset! The form lasts for 10 seconds so make the most out of it!​

Changes in this form:

Speed change

Toad is capable of running as fast as Captain Falcon.

Neutral B : Triple Ice

Toad can now shoot 3 ice balls at the same time

Forward B : Cheep charger

Toad uses the cheep charger instead of a kart. Now, Toad can't be beaten off his ride plus he's faster and it damages 10%.

Upward B : Unlimited recovery

Toad can keep flying upwards as long as you hold the analog up.

Downward B: Giant Bob-omb

Toad can throw giant bob-omb! He can only throw one but it's HUGE. It can grab enemies and throw them and it can cause massive explosion!

All of Toad's attacks

Toad's attacks are faster, stronger and better!

Dash attack : Toad charge (Chargeable)

Toad's dash attack is now chargeable. Just hold the A button during the dash attack

Playstyle
Toad may have potential for combos but he lacks the range to show off his combo skills. Fortunately, his array of projectiles, a kart and some long ranged attacks with mushrooms make him a great character for camping. His ice flower can be used for camping while his bob-omb buddies are used for mindgames. You can use his kart to retreat from enemies (It's better used that way) while using your bob-ombs and ice flower. His primary melee attacks are his downward smash, forward tilt and his backward aerial since all of them support Toad's defensive and campy playstyle. Toad can also be a rushdown character but it's not recommended to use it against long range characters. Toad's primary moves for approach are all his grabs, neutral combo, upward attack, backward aerial and upward aerial because they all support as combo attacks. To finish combos, toad can use Neutral aerial, Forward aerial, Downward aerial, Upward smash or Forward tilt due to their quick start and good knockback. Unfortunately, all these opportunities are hindered by his small range. That doesn't make it impossible for him to rush though but it's a major flaw. Toad's defensive play is safer and it is a better way to slowly rack up damage with out trying to use Toad's bear range. Toad's throws are extremely useful but it's hindered by the small/tiny grab range. His forward throw is carry which means he can carry the enemy around. His down throw makes enemies slip while his back throw does the huge knockback. What makes his grabs better are the fact that he can grab enemies in 2 ways both on ground and mid-air. This also gives Toad the ability to chain grab in the air if he uses Toad rush. Toad rush is Toad's special grab (Forward B). He can spin the enemy to rack up damage and hit opponents and he can throw enemies in any directions. If you're air born, you can Toad rush the enemy, thrown him down then Toad rush him again. His grabs are dangerous and that's what makes him hard to approach to.

Onto the competitive part, we know Toad's main play is grabbing and defense. He has potential for offense but lacks the range and safety to do it. Toad's ice flower can be used for camping. It's slow but that makes it a threat in the air. Not the ground. You can shoot out multiple ice flowers in the air while using your bob-omb buddies on the ground. That way, the opponent must be aware of the ice flowers that travel slowly in the air and the bob-ombs the follow him/her on the ground. Toad's grab can grapple both on ground and mid air. You can use grab followed after or before Toad rush. Toad rush is capable of chain grabbing enemies in mid air. You can throw the enemy downwards to make him bounce on the ground then grab him or do Toad rush then throw him down again. Toad's grab range is poor but Toad rush has long range since Toad charges to the enemy. You can grab the enemy then throw him forward then do Toad rush to regrab him again. You can incorporate his grab games with your defensive/zoning play. You can Toad rush the enemy and throw him to your bob ombs or ice shots. You can Toad rush the enemy, throw him down to the bob-ombs then he gets hit by the bob-ombs then you regrab him or Toad rush him again.

Alternate costumes​

:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:Taunts:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Upward Taunt - I'm the best!

Toad says "I'm the best"

Downward Taunt - Shout

Toad shouts "Yahooo!!!"

Side Taunt - Spin!

Toad spins with glee!

:muffin::muffin::muffin:Extras:muffin::muffin::muffin:

Victory:

Lose:

Entrance:

Kirby hat:

Codec conversation:
Snake: Otacon, there's a talking mushroom here! Is it edible?
Otacon: It's not edible. That's Toad Snake. Toad serves as the Royal guard of Peach.
Snake: Well, he's not doing a good job at it. Bowser still kidnaps Peach all the time. This guy looks easy.
Otacon: Hold it right there. Toad isn't what you think he is. He has superhuman strength that enables him to carry anything no matter how heavy it is. He can also emit spores and summon mushrooms to come to his aid
Snake: Can't I just eat the mushrooms?
Otacon: I don't think that's the type of mushroom you'd eat. They're used for combat, not meals.
Snake: I see where those super mushrooms come from...
Otacon: Don't get the wrong idea Snake....

-----------------------------------------------------

Credits:
Berserker 01 - Moveset and pictures
Medvock - Toad sprites
AEM - Toad animations

TOAD ESSAY v2
Credit to Spydr Enzo. Some parts were added by me (Berserker01)

Toad… one of the most iconic characters of the Mario series and a popular group that has been with the series since it’s beginning. Does Toad deserve a playable spot on the roster of a future Super Smash Bros. game? Of course!

First of all, I want to make this clear. I am not a Toad fanboy… I am simply defending Toad, a character that has been shot down by many throughout the years for many dumb, ignorant reasons. It bugs to to see that there are many people who believe that he literally has no chance of appearing at all, or that it is very unlikely compared to other Mario characters. I just want to clear up this misunderstanding.

NOW... why is Toad a perfectly viable (and likely) candidate for a future Super Smash Bros.?

-

First, let us discuss the history of the little Mushroom Retainer, and where he got his fame, popularity, and significance to the series.

Toad first appeared in the first ever Super Mario game Super Mario Bros. on the NES, the game that really kicked off the series toward the fame it claims today. Since this game, Toad has appeared in some way in pretty much every single one of the series' major titles since the very beginning of it's entire existence. That already is a lot more than many other characters from the series can say.

Throughout these games, Toad has taken on the role of the advice-giver, the distressed character in need of saving, and in at least two major Mario titles, Super Mario Bros. 2 for the NES and New Super Mario Bros. Wii for the Wii, he has been playable. Not to mention that he was the star of the NES/SNES puzzle game Wario's Woods. Toad's appears frequently in most of Mario's platformers, and has been especially frequent within the Super Mario Galaxy games, where the Toad Brigade joins Mario on many occasions throughout his adventures.

This doesn't even include the Mario Spin-off titles. Toad has appeared as a playable character in a big chunk of Mario spin-offs, and in a few others, he has taken the role of the game's host in one way or another. Toad is one of the "Mario Big Eight," (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Wario, Bowser, and Toad), the eight characters that have appeared in the majority of Mario spin-off titles since their beginning, and still appear quite frequently. Notice that Toad is the only character in the "Mario Big Eight" to not be represented in Smash.

Despite Toad's vast popularity, fame, and involvement with the series, many continue to argue that his "small roles" are what is bringing him down. They fail to even consider the idea that having "small roles" won't always hurt a characters chances. Toad may not have some of the biggest, most important roles in the games, but you definitely cannot say he is not important to the series. If you say this, you are ignoring the fact that he has appeared in pretty much every major Mario title and spin-off since the beginning of the series' entire existence. You are ignoring the fact that he has become an iconic character of the series and possibly even of Nintendo in general throughout his history.

It really baffles me how people can say that Fawful is more deserving because he is "more important." I also find find it funny that people who argue in favor of Fawful over Toad use the argument that he is newer and therefore more recognizable among younger fans. They seem to be neglecting the fact that Toad is well-known not only among younger fans, but of anyone who has ever played any major Mario game no matter how old they are. Sure, being newer doesn't hurt, and being the villain of three Mario games is an important role, but is that really important to the series as a whole? Is he iconic? Is he as well-known, familiar, recognizable or popular as Toad? Ask anyone even remotely familiar with Mario who Toad is, they will more than likely know. You can't do the same with Fawful. Imagine the reaction of Toad's removal from the series compared to the reaction of Fawful never returning again...

Another thing that I find strange is when people who support Bowser Jr. shoot down Toad because of his "diminishing, small roles" within the games. What about Bowser Jr.? The only major role he has ever had in any game was in Super Mario Sunshine for the GCN. Since then, he has been nothing but a mini-boss, and a character who occasionally shows up a taunts the player in games like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. Toad's role has actually grown quite a lot recently... he has had his first playable appearance in any mainstream Mario game since Super Mario Bros. 2 in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and has appeared more (plus with a more interesting role) in the Super Mario Galaxy games then in any previous 3D Mario Platformer. Honestly, how can anyone that supports Bowser Jr. bash Toad's "diminishing role?" without blatantly ignoring these facts? Toad has everything he needs. Popularity, fame and importance to the Mario series. Toad was awarded with the "Character who needs his own spin-offs" award both in ign and game daily. His popularity is significantly bigger than Bowser Jr. In the Oricon Poll, Toad was voted to be the 8th most popular character in Japan. He's even more important than Jr. to the series. He was one of the most celebrated characters in the 25th anniversary of Mario. About comparing roles between Jr. and Toad. Why is it that people think Jr. has a bigger role than Toad? You guys know that being important in the series is better than having a big role in the series. Since when was Jr. popular? No one has shown a source about it. Sure I can see it in the discussion but is he more popular than Toad? Toad had the 4th highest number of votes among the Mario reps. Overall in the melee poll, he was 6th highest (Behind Bowser, Peach, Wario, Ganon and Dedede). That's probably the reason why he didn't appear. Wario took the newcomer slot first to him. Well... That's one of the reasons (Sort of). The reason why Diddy got first to Toad is because he has his own series. Since he got a pretty good number of votes, he was in SSBB. He is part of the Mario series but the truth is that he's part of the Donkey Kong series. According to Shortie's poll, Toad was the most requested asides from the 4 mario reps. I don't know if it's important but then again, Toad got the highest amount of votes. One more thing is that Toad had 2 spin-offs where he is the main character "Wario Woods NES and SNES". What does Bowser Jr. have? Nothing. What makes the Oricon poll a huge plus is that it came from Japan.

So, what have we learned so far? Being iconic and significant to a series in general is more important than being important to a small fraction of the series' games. We've also learned that having a small role in any specific game(s) of the series really doesn't matter when compared to the character's overall significance to the series, as well as their popularity and familiarity among all gamers and many non-gamers alike.

-

That last section was the big one. I think I made my point quite clear. Now, on to different subject. One argument in particular that still bugs me is the "generic species" argument.

The argument that Toad is a "generic species" is incredibly ignorant. First of all, we all know this. Toad is a part of a generic species, no one is trying to hide it. The fact is that in this case, it doesn't really matter. Take Yoshi for example. Besides in the Mario Spin-off titles, was there ever just a single Yoshi? No, the player has always controlled a Yoshi. Never THE Yoshi. Yoshi always appears as a generic species, and yet he has his place on the Smash Bros. roster. Why does the idea seem so ridiculous in Toad's case? Honestly, I'd like to know. It really baffles me.

Now just for a second, let's take a look at the Mario Spin-off titles. Obviously, being a part of the "Mario Big Eight," both Yoshi and Toad have appeared in the majority of these titles. When you see Yoshi in Mario Kart, you don't think "Hey, there's a Yoshi," do you? It's always "Hey, there's Yoshi." The same goes for Toad. In the spin-offs, and in games like Super Mario Bros. 2 and Wario's Woods it always seems as if you are playing as THE Toad rather than just any random Toad. This illusion of playing as THE Yoshi or THE Toad rather than a Yoshi or a Toad is what allows them to break free of their "generic species" status when it is appropriate. Having "broken free," Toad is able to appear alone in a game like Smash without being a Toad, but rather THE Toad.

Now, I know someone will argue that, by this logic, Goomba and Koopa are appropriate choices for a future Smash. This is not true... they have appeared in the spin-off titles, but not enough to have "broken free" of generic species status yet. The fact that they appear as generic baddies in large numbers in the majority of Mario games also keeps them within that "generic species" group, unlike Toad and Yoshi.

What have we learned from this? The "generic species" argument is a worthless, ignorant argument against Toad. Don't try it.

-

One final point that I'd like to address is the argument that Toad is an unoriginal, un-unique (is that a word???) character that lacks moveset potential. I find this laughably false.

First of all, Toad is probably one of the most unique Mario characters not represented in Smash. I can't even fathom how Bowser Jr. supporters can use this argument against Toad when Bowser Jr. is basically a mini Bowser. What other major character in the Mario universe resembles Toad? Toad looks like the other Toads? What about Yoshi? You can call the one and only green Yoshi "Yoshi". The same for Toad. You can call the one and only Toad "Toad". Plus, like Yoshi, he's one among the other species.

Second, let's talk about Toad's playstyle and moveset potential. Being a small character, Toad is known for being very quick, but he is also known for seeming to have superhuman strength as seen in Super Mario Bros. 2. Being a small and quick yet strong character is something not seen often, and could present a unique play-style. Now what about his moveset?

Many moves from the games he has been playable in can be looked at in determining this. Notice that in the three games where he appears as a playable protagonist (Super Mario Bros. 2, Wario's Woods, and New Super Mario Bros. Wii), the gameplay involves lifting things and throwing/dropping them. This is one obvious ability that Toad could acquire; lifting and throwing characters. The charged high-jump from Super Mario Bros. 2 is another possibility for a move, a move that would probably be utilized as an Up-B recovery move. In Wario's Woods, Toad is given bombs to throw, another possible move. He could also use the new power-ups found in New Super Mario Bros. Wii as an assortment of abilities, not to mention abilities found in Mario spin-off titles. And don't forget that there are many moves that could be designed specially for Toad without making him seem out of character. With this in mind, plus the fact that there are many different elements throughout the Mario series from which he could borrow his moves, you can't deny that Toad does indeed have moveset potential.

Toad's moveset could be comprised of items and mushrooms with melee attacks. Why is it that people do not allow Toad to use items when Mario, Luigi and Diddy use items? Fire Flower? Banana? Why can't Toad use an Ice flower or the propeller cap? Some people think Toad has nothing new to bring but mushrooms. That is a useless statement. Just like Kirby and Pikachu, he's fast and strong but he has low jumps. He channels his power through mushrooms. There are hardly any characters that use a mushroom as a power. So you're saying Ridley will offer nothing but Tail whipping action?

Some people think that Toad has no personality. No personality!? He's extremely expressive. He laughs a lot, cries a lot, and gets angry. He's a strong but cowardly and he can get mad at times. He's also courageous at times (Proven in Mario Galaxy). Some people think Toad wasn't the Toad in Mario sunshine and in Mario Galaxy. If you check the manuals, the Red Toad is the Toad. The reason for the color of the vest is unknown. It's probably to make it not out of place.

What have we learned here? We know that Toad is an original, unique character that could have a different sort of play-style as well as having good potential for a moveset.

Another thing that annoys me is the fact that people think he won't get in simply because he's a moveset. Haven't I explained this before? This problem is SO EASY to solve. Paletuna is way harder because she can't be confused with another Paletuna or someone else. Toad can be replaced with another Toad. So for all you people who use this excuse, don't try it. It's futile and useless.

Why is it that people say that "Sakurai wouldn't break his back to make Toad". In fact, Toad is the easiest to make since there is a model for him already.

What have we learned here? The moveset excuse is useless. Don't try it.

-

How about a quick recap. What have we learned?
-Being iconic and significant to a series in general is more important than being important to a small fraction of the series' games. We've also learned that having a small role in any specific game(s) of the series really doesn't matter when compared to the character's overall significance to the series, as well as their popularity and familiarity among all gamers and many non-gamers alike
-The "generic species" argument is a worthless, ignorant argument against Toad. Don't try it.
-We know that Toad is an original, unique character that could have a different sort of play-style as well as having good potential for a moveset.
-The moveset excuse is useless. Don't try it.

Any other concerns?

I think I just about covered everything. Please note, that while I did attack Bowser Jr. several times, I do not deny the great possibility of him joining the playable roster in a future Smash. I'd actually put him on or near the same level as Toad, and I wouldn't even be surprised to see both appear.

But I'm here right now to defend Toad.

Just look at everything Toad has going for him. You can't say he is unlikely, or has no chance... in fact it is quite the opposite. This is a character that is popular, familiar, and recognizable among anyone remotely familiar with Mario, as well as unique, original, and iconic of it's series and possibly even iconic of Nintendo itself. This is a character that has been a part of the series since the beginning of it's existence and is still going strong. If a character like this doesn't deserve to be in Smash, the really, I don't know who does.

One last thing I would like to state is this elimination round about who Mario rep while most likely be added:
[collapse= elimination rounds]
Lets do a process of elimination to see who are the best choices to market the Marioverse games to the customers and, at the same time, make the fans happy.

The majority of Marioverse games are spin-off games (Kart, Tennis, Golf, Party, etc.) because they sell. Lets start with the playable characters in those games.

Bumper
Cranky Kong
Baby Daisy
Baby Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi
Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Birdo
Blooper
Boo
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dr. Mario
Drumstick
Dry Bones
Dry Bowser
Fly Guy
Funky Kong
Goomba
Hammer Bro.
Kalypso
Kass
King Boo
King K. Rool
Kip
Kludge
Klump
Koopa Kid
Koopa Paratroopa
Koopa Troopa
Kopter
Kritter
Krunch
Lanky Kong
Luigi
Magikoopa
Mario
Metal Mario
Monty Mole
Noki
Paragoomba
Peach
Petey Piranha
Pianta
Pipsy
Rosalina
Shy Guy
Taj the Genie
Timber
Tiny Kong
Tiptup
Toad
Toadette
Toadsworth
T.T.
Waluigi
Wanda
Wario
Wiggler
Wizpig
Wrinkly Kong
Yoshi

We have many characters who appeared exclusively in spin-off games. Lets make another list with characters who have appeared in canon games (platformers and RPGs).

Cranky Kong
Baby Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi
Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Birdo
Blooper
Boo
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dry Bones
Dry Bowser
Fly Guy
Funky Kong
Goomba
Hammer Bro.
King Boo
King K. Rool
Klump
Koopa Paratroopa
Koopa Troopa
Kopter
Kritter
Lanky Kong
Luigi
Magikoopa
Mario
Metal Mario
Monty Mole
Noki
Paragoomba
Peach
Petey Piranha
Pianta
Rosalina
Shy Guy
Tiny Kong
Toad
Toadsworth
Wario
Wiggler
Wrinkly Kong
Yoshi

There are still many generic species on the list. So lets remove all the generic species who were never playable in canon games and see who are left.

Cranky Kong
Baby Donkey Kong
Baby Luigi
Baby Mario
Baby Peach
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Daisy
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dry Bowser
Funky Kong
King Boo
King K. Rool
Lanky Kong
Luigi
Mario
Metal Mario
Peach
Petey Piranha
Rosalina
Tiny Kong
Toad
Toadsworth
Wario
Wrinkly Kong
Yoshi

There are some characters who have been in one or two canon games. Lets make another list with recurring characters who have been in three or more canon games.

Cranky Kong
Baby Luigi
Baby Mario
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong
Funky Kong
King Boo
King K. Rool
Luigi
Mario
Peach
Petey Piranha
Toad
Toadsworth
Wario
Wrinkly Kong
Yoshi

Finally, we make a list with recurring playable heroes and recurring unplayable villains in canon games.

Baby Mario
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
Donkey Kong
King Boo
King K. Rool
Luigi
Mario
Peach
Petey Piranha
Toad
Wario
Yoshi

The majority of the Marioverse games are spin-off games. It is best to have the original Mario Big Eight because they market games to the customers and make fans happy. The major recurring characters from the Donkey Kong Country trilogy are in spin-off games because they market the games and make the fans happy. It is best to have these familar characters who can really resonate with customers and fans.

Mario Series
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Toad
Bowser

Donkey Kong Series
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Yoshi Series
Yoshi

Wario Series
Wario

Thank you and please support Toad for SSB 4!​
[/collapse]

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Wow, that Toad moveset... It's so perfect, but it looks so overpowered too. I mean, it's REALLY good, and it makes me want Toad even more.

I would nerf some things here and there, but he pretty much nailed it. I especially liked the special moves.

@Mario_And_Sonic_Guy: Those roles fit him pretty well too. Assist Trophy would be really great, turning your enemies into walking Eggplants.

OmegaXXII

Yup, pretty interesting moveset indeed, and for that I am neutral on his inclusion, in a good way of course, if tbe Mario series gets a new rep who do you think will be the most liky out of the "big 3"? Aka Bowser Jr, Toad & Paper Mario.

Personally i'd like to see Paper Mario in smash, he would offer so much uniqueness as far as mechanics and moves goes, sorta like G&W but different of course.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I want Toad, because I want the original cast complete.

But I don't deny that Bowser Jr. would be a good choice too.

I am NOT a fan of Paper Mario, nor any other type of alternate versions to existing characters. Even if they don't even attack the same, he's still the same plumber with the same overalls the same red hat, the same mustache, voiced by the same person.

Heck, I'm still not convinced over Toon Link.

OmegaXXII

I want Lip to have these moves:

-Block stack up. (Summons a block ahead of her, that materializes a few feet above and in front of her. You can "stack" more of these blocks until they start to disappear over time.)

-Position Switch (Change places with your opponent)

Outside these moves, I don't care what else is added to Lip.
Hmm..interesting, I also have a moveset for her and Paper Mario.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wouldn't say she's irrelevant. She's still probably the 4th most important (feasible for Smash) character in Star Fox, despite the fact that the newest SF game does not feature her. However, I wasn't aware of the overseas hate for her, which could be a damper on that. I guess it boils down to whether or not Star Fox needs another representative; their rep is pretty heavy already.

BTW, all Krystal supporters ARE furries. There's no getting around that. :p
I'm not a furry.

Underrated, but deserving. She's the first Nintendo villainness to be recurring and is Wario's original archnemesis. I'd like to see her more often. Not sure how'd she play though.

Can someone put up SSBF's challenge?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would say Bowser Jr. has the most interesting moveset potential out of the three. Toad is pretty boring. Paper Mario would at least look neat while also having loads of stuff to draw moves from. Also, he wouldn't take G&W's schtick. G&2 is purely two-dimensional, while Paper Mario is just a flat 3D character. Meaning he could roll up or be twisted around.

BUT, Bowser Jr. with his paintbrush is the most interesting in my mind. A swing from his brush works as a close-range attack, but would also send out little globs of paint, working as a mid- to long-range attack as well. Then you could also change what sort of paint is on the brush. Fire would send opponents upward, while electric paint would stun opponents. You could also mark spots on the ground... I DUNNO. It'd be great.

But Mario is perfectly represented as it. No need for any of those three.

Chris the Ripper

Banned via Administration
Since Im always posting funny Ike related things,heres something to lighten up the mood.Don't want to click it,don't click it.

[collapse="Seceret Message"]
[/collapse]

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Heh kinda funny but the gag is usually a BIT more silent. Ike is talking WAY too much. :p
(Could've been reduced to "Hey Marth, want this smash ball?" - "Yes?" - CRUSH!!) :D

OmegaXXII

I am NOT a fan of Paper Mario, nor any other type of alternate versions to existing characters. Even if they don't even attack the same, he's still the same plumber with the same overalls the same red hat, the same mustache, voiced by the same person.

Heck, I'm still not convinced over Toon Link.
And that's okay, I can clearly see your point of view, however unlike Dr. Mario, P. Mario is not actually the exact same Mario we all know and love, he is from a parallel dimentions which means his attacks wouldn't even compore to regular Mario, even if their appearances are somewhat identical.

But like you mentioned, if Toon Link was able to make it, I don't see why P. Mario shouldn't, heck if anything P. Mario is just as popular as Toon Link and has an upcoming game on the 3DS, so regardless of similar apperances from his counterpart, the only thing that really matters is that he wouldn't play like Mario at all.

D

Deleted member

KumaOso said:
Can someone put up SSBF's challenge?
Not sure what you mean by that. Are you referring to getting that blog closed or something else entirely?

D

Deleted member

OmegaXVII said:
Yup, pretty interesting moveset indeed, and for that I am neutral on his inclusion, in a good way of course, if tbe Mario series gets a new rep who do you think will be the most liky out of the "big 3"? Aka Bowser Jr, Toad & Paper Mario.

Personally i'd like to see Paper Mario in smash, he would offer so much uniqueness as far as mechanics and moves goes, sorta like G&W but different of course.
All have a realistic shot of being playable, but I think based on the evidence, Bowser Jr. is the most likely to appear and I'm sure if unique, would make a great newcomer.

I am however, mainly supporting Paper Mario due to what you said. That alone makes him deserving of a spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom