• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Shulk Advanced Technique - Aerial Landing Lag Cancel

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
I'll keep it short - I discovered a new technique for Shulk while playing For Glory mode. Unfortunately, I don't have those crazy expensive 3DS video capture setups so I can't give you video proof (but try it out yourselves).

Basically, if a Monado Art is activated while Shulk is experiencing landing lag - the landing lag will automatically be canceled and Shulk can immediately go into another action. So moves that were dangerous to approach with can now be used more.

A possible application could be approaching an enemy with a B-air ( which was previously extremely risky ). To do this pivot short hop, while in mid-air press B ( to choose Monado Jump ), and quickly perform a B-air ( around the apex of the short hop ). If done correctly when Shulk lands with the B-air, the Monado Jump Art should activate ending the lag and allowing him to immediately go into another action.

I've also used this to chain a D-air into a grab and such.

The limitations of this is it obviously can't be used all the time ( because Arts have to recharge and it takes a second to cancel the Art currently equipped). Also you have to have a pretty good timing of when your Arts are going to activate. You could, hypothetically use other Arts besides Monado Jump to cancel landing lag, but obviously it gets harder to manage.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Amazing. Now the B moves of canceling all landing lag have another recruit:

:4diddy::4link::4peach: all would like to welcome :4shulk: to the party!
The joke aside, I'm actually happy about hearing Shulk having this AT. Now getting the sweet-spot of Dair to deal 6% instead of the common 4% gets buffed when timed right as you said.

Last edited:

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Amazing. Now the B moves of canceling all landing lag have another recruit:

:4diddy::4link::4peach: all would like to welcome :4shulk: to the party!
The joke aside, I'm actually happy about hearing Shulk having this AT. Now getting the sweet-spot of Dair to deal 6% instead of the common 4% gets buffed when timed right as you said.
Yea, it feels like on a Gamecube controller the switching would be a lot easier. And you could probably do some cool - but technical combos with this cancel a bit easier.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Second AT....when a Monado art activates....it cancels your Jump lol Q_Q. I used to frequently switched to jump mid-air, leap before the art activated and have my recovery self-screwed. May be useful for something however. Doesn't matter what height you are in the jump.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Second AT....when a Monado art activates....it cancels your Jump lol Q_Q. I used to frequently switched to jump mid-air, leap before the art activated and have my recovery self-screwed. May be useful for something however. Doesn't matter what height you are in the jump.
Cancels the jump as in, it's a stall-then-fall effect? I notice that a lot in Shulk videos when they're in mid-air switching Arts, I didn't really consider it an AT since they all looked like stall-falls to me. But regardless that's kind of lame, this AT doesn't affect Shulk when he's using Air Slash, does it?

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
No. Lets say you get knocked off in shield form. If you switch to Monado Jump and jump to recover Before Monado Jump has activated, the animation for Monado Jump will *cancel* your jump momentum.
This is slightly annoying when you dont actually need Monado jumps....jump boost other than to strengthen your up B, but instead have to wait for it anyways because the interrupt can kill ya.

TL?

Smash Ace
Normally when you use monado arts you can shield instantly, but when I use it to lag cancel there is still delay before I can shield. Are we sure this cancels lag or just allows us to switch during lag?

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A very good find that can boost Shulk's defense [safer aerials] and offense [possibly guaranteed follow ups after successfully landing an aerial].

:059:

PizzaWenisaur

Smash Apprentice
Normally when you use monado arts you can shield instantly, but when I use it to lag cancel there is still delay before I can shield. Are we sure this cancels lag or just allows us to switch during lag?
I'm pretty sure it cancels it - I was able to immediately cancel Shulk's laggy Dair into a jump or grab. The better your timing the quicker Shulk can act. So if it's not working it could be that you didn't time it so your art activates right when you start the landing lag. It takes a few tries to get it right.

Man - I wish I had a capture card so I could make a quick gif or something. If anyone has video taking capabilities can they show this.

TL?

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure it cancels it - I was able to immediately cancel Shulk's laggy Dair into a jump or grab. The better your timing the quicker Shulk can act. So if it's not working it could be that you didn't time it so your art activates right when you start the landing lag. It takes a few tries to get it right.

Man - I wish I had a capture card so I could make a quick gif or something. If anyone has video taking capabilities can they show this.
I'm plinking the two inputs: pressing B and then holding shield on the next frame or two. From neutral my shield appears with the monado art instantly. During landing lag the monado art appears instantly, but there is visible delay before the shield appears. Give it a try.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Made a quick video showing a few practical applications. :)

MASTERLINKX

enjoy my good friend shulk! :)
NNID
MASTERLINKX
No. Lets say you get knocked off in shield form. If you switch to Monado Jump and jump to recover Before Monado Jump has activated, the animation for Monado Jump will *cancel* your jump momentum.
This is slightly annoying when you dont actually need Monado jumps....jump boost other than to strengthen your up B, but instead have to wait for it anyways because the interrupt can kill ya.
Always air dodge to avoid this happening.

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
I've found that if you do the pivot jump b-air and cancel the landing lag with the monado art, you can do d-tilt and for some reason it'll auto correct and turn Shulk around to hit the opponent which combos on low percentages. Haven't really tested it out too much other than that but I thought it might be good info to pass along.

JAHCruncher

Smash Rookie
That video makes Shulk look hella fast compared to what else I've seen. That's actually pretty hype, I was hoping he'd have cool techs.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
Made a quick video showing a few practical applications. :)

Looks sick, gotta try that out! Don't really need it for nair tho since it auto cancels on its own. Sooo nice for fair and bair tho.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Something I didn't show in the video is you can also SH-> double-tap B-> aerial to use monado arts speed with your aerials. The timing is pretty strict tho. You can't FF it.

Last edited:

Menk

Smash Cadet
Does this work if you start choosing earlier, jump, then press it one more time to get the activation to go off as you land? Getting to activate Smash instead of an art that weakens your knockback would make any aerial combo into a kill move, which could be very good.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Does this work if you start choosing earlier, jump, then press it one more time to get the activation to go off as you land? Getting to activate Smash instead of an art that weakens your knockback would make any aerial combo into a kill move, which could be very good.
I can confirm that you can switch to smash the timing is difficult. From what I can tell lag is only canceled once you actually landed. So you have to fit your jump aerial and landing in that small timeframe. However yeah you can switch to Smash, jump-aerial,fast fall, smash activates for smash powered followup. Works since Monado arts can be swapped while walking/dashing.

Press b, hold direction you want to move while tapping b to cycle through arts. Jump, aerial, fast fall. Lag cancels to allow follow up. Probably grab to u-tilt or fair.
The aerial doesn't benefit from the Monado art since you complete the aerial before it cancels.

Last edited:

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Messed with this a bit more last night. Another fairly neat thing you can do is full jump > monado speed > fair > dash through pivot grab. The full jump gives you some leverage in where you choose to unleash your attack and allows for a much easier timing of switching to speed though I think you need to activate it around the apex of your jump. Working off memory here. But this seems useful since the fair knocks them back a decent distance then you can utilize speed to quickly run past them and pivot grab.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
how is that possible when inputting B before the art switches will continue the art cycle instead of backslashing
I believe a hard tapped press to the :GCN: + :GCB: would change the input to be Back Slash. As long as you were lightly holding the :GCN: before while switching Arts, a hard press will change the input.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I cannot for the life of me do this..Where do you people get the reaction time for this stuff?

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I cannot for the life of me do this..Where do you people get the reaction time for this stuff?
I got the reaction timing from Melee. Landing successfully was a struggle & a way of survival so I had to know it else I'd lose.

Anyway I'm digging this Monado Art AT. It not only cancels the suppression animation Shulk makes when activating the Arts but also cancels landing lag. Love it.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Yeah ground activating is difficult as the activating window is so short.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
IMO though if you can do it busters shield stun should prevent them from shield grabbing you if you go for the grab.
Shoot can probably go Shield Monado, tipper fair, into roll canceled grab when trying to make an approach at high %.

Dicex

Smash Rookie
Great find! I practice the technique and tried it in For Glory and it really helps when to close distance between you and your opponent.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
So when I have any other Art active, I can double tap B and turn it off.

But when Jump is active, it seems like it takes more presses, and the number can be kind of inconsistent.

This is a pain because I want to be able to deactivate Jump to set up for another cancel. Any input?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I can confirm that you can switch to smash the timing is difficult. From what I can tell lag is only canceled once you actually landed. So you have to fit your jump aerial and landing in that small timeframe. However yeah you can switch to Smash, jump-aerial,fast fall, smash activates for smash powered followup. Works since Monado arts can be swapped while walking/dashing.

Press b, hold direction you want to move while tapping b to cycle through arts. Jump, aerial, fast fall. Lag cancels to allow follow up. Probably grab to u-tilt or fair.
The aerial doesn't benefit from the Monado art since you complete the aerial before it cancels.
By extension of this, if you prime the shift to neutral (tapping B twice while using an art, running, doing B a third time and coming down with an aerial), will it cancel aerial landing lag too?

Last edited:

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Shift to neutral doesn't have any special animation as far as I know, so it would not cancel landing lag.

Top Bottom