• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Meta Knight DC Tech: The Mega Reversal, Working in 3.6!

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
(This was originally posted as a reply to Oakwood's thread about MK's Dimensional Cape, I made this it's own thread in order to be easily found and accessed, original here: http://smashboards.com/threads/dimensional-cape-guide.341911/page-2#post-17202701)

The Mega Reversal
Difficulty: Medium-Hard

Ok guys, now I have figured out something completely/half new with Meta Knight's DC. What I was able to do is grab the ledge and do a ledge drop DC behind the opponent and turn around to power strike them offstage, sort of like the Oaken Reversal, but with a power strike (hold B) instead of a quick strike (C-Stick).

This was discovered and recorded in Project M 3.02, and it still works in 3.6.

Here is a video demonstration by myself:

How to:

First of all, make sure you understand the "move" and the "shift" like Oakwood describes. This technique takes advantage of how those things work. Check out Oakwood's awesome DC tutorial here before trying this: http://smashboards.com/threads/dimensional-cape-guide.341911/

What you need to do first is move straight up to slightly in front of your opponent, as if you are going to cancel the shift and strike them forward from the ledge (just like at 0:25 in the video above).

The second step is to then shift forward so that you are behind your opponent. The reason you do this is so that you can turn around just like you would in a quick strike, however this requires pretty good timing. If you simply move behind and try to turn around, then you will shift towards the ledge and do what I show in the video as the common mistake.

Now, there is one final element to Meta Knight's DC that Oakwood did not describe in his guide. I call this the "turn". The turn can be executed after both the move and the shift, and it determines which direction you will strike in. You have to execute it very late if you want it to contradict your shift. The best way to practice this is with straight DC on the ground. Just move and shift forward, and try turning backwards. You will go the same distance as if you just held forward, however you will strike the other way.

I find that the best way to do it is holding up/diagonal (up is easier) for as long as possible, and then really quickly move the stick towards the stage, and the immediately flick it back. For a large majority of the time you should be holding up, not towards the stage to shift or away from the stage to turn around. From like 5 minutes of TAS testing I know that you can reverse MK's strike direction between the frames of the little lens flare light and him appearing, I'm not sure about before then. But doing it fast is the easiest in my opinion.

If necessary, I could upload a video of my hands as I do this for a better understanding of how it's done.

The "Mistake" Strike:

This happens when you shift away from the stage, instead of turning around away from the stage. It usually happens when you try to turn around too early.

If you're trying to be really fancy, you can actually use the backward strike at the ledge to hit a recovering opponent, but I don't think that it would be very optimal to do in a match. I managed to hit a recovery CPU Pit with it once, and there were definitely better options. It's just a cool thing to know really.

It might be easiest on a recovering Fox that's trying to go onstage, but that's probably the only chance you will get to use it. It's really cool if you do hit it though!

This is very hard tech to do at first, sort of like Marth's pivot f-smash. However, just like when learning any new thing, practice makes perfect (again, just like Marth's pivot f-smash). Currently, I can do this successfully about 4/5 times. Actually hitting the move is a different story, but as you gain experience, you will know when they are too close to the edge to hit and another option is much better.

Please inform me if this tech has been documented somewhere else, I would love to see if there is any more info on this.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
This along with the normal Oaken reversal could make for some sick mixups off ledge. Good stuff.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
This along with the normal Oaken reversal could make for some sick mixups off ledge. Good stuff.
I don't really think you would need both this AND the Oaken Reversal personally, as they do the same exact thing but the Oaken Reversal is just a little less powerful and a little harder to do (probably just because I haven't practiced it too much though). I do see where you're coming from though. I was thinking doing this as a mixup for ledge hop fair or some other basic ledge options that make the opponent respect your space. Then, you can punish them for standing a little back by possibly killing them unexpectedly at 50% depending on the stage.

Also an important note: do not use this frequently or start off a match with one. This also applies to other DC from ledge options. This is a surprise attack that is meant to get people when they don't expect it, if they already know it's coming and can shield, then they can plan out a punish and have plenty of time to execute it.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Funny story: I guess this Marth player knew about DC from the ledge even before I did any when we were playing. He was standing right in front of the ledge, so I did a DC straight up to strike in front of him. He had enough time do dair out of shield and kill me before I was out of lag after the move. That's why you need to be careful, I have to admit it was sick though =3

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Oaken Reversal is faster. But yea it's really only 1 or 2 times a match type thing.

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
Nice formatting, and now we know we can use some mixups with the DC Drift if you expect your opponent to anticipate and try to punish the reversal.

Painless67

Smash Rookie
MegaAmoongus, I have a cool "tech" I call a d.c.s.c. check it out and help with some applications.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
MegaAmoongus, I have a cool "tech" I call a d.c.s.c. check it out and help with some applications.
I replied to it, I would suggest you look over Oakwood's guide like I mentioned in this post, even though some of the info may no longer be accurate. It should still be good for a basic rundown of Meta Knight DC tech.

Top Bottom