• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters, Modes For Pokken Tournament Revealed

If Pokken Tournament is released on console, will you buy it?

• Yes!

Votes: 399 78.9%
  • No.

Votes: 14 2.8%
  • Still not sure.

Votes: 57 11.3%
  • I have to have Pokemon things.

Votes: 36 7.1%

• Total voters

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
This morning, Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu Monthly streamed details of the upcoming Pokemon fighter, Pokken Tournament. This stream revealed new characters, explained gameplay mechanics, and much more, so read on to learn more and watch some exciting gameplay! This looks like a title to get excited about.

New Characters

Many had wondered whether or not non-Fighting type characters would be included in Pokken Tournament, and the answer is a resounding yes! Suicine, Gardevoir and Pikachu were all announced as playable characters. This brings the current roster to five, including Machamp and Lucario. If you include Blaziken, who was shown in the very first video evidence of the game, there are six characters in the game as of now.

Character renders, like this Gardevoir, are incredibly detailed.

While not strictly playable characters, Support Set Pokemon were also shown off. Similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 3's Assist system, Emolga, Fennekin, Snivy, and Lapras were available to call into battle, each using a single move before disappearing again. It doesn't seem that assist characters recharge quickly (or at all, possibly) so players may only be able to use them once per round. These assists come in sets of two Pokemon each, and it appears you pick one of the two assists in between each round. Emolga and Fennekin appeared to have short burst attacks, perhaps useful for interrupts, while Snivy and Lapras both had multi-hit attacks that stayed out longer, locking down opponents.

Game Mechanics

While many assumed this game would be Tekken with Pokemon characters, it appears to have a fighting system made specifically for Pokken Tournament. At the beginning of a match, combatants are in a 'free range' mode of sorts, able to move freely in the 3D plane while throwing long range attacks at each other. It's most easily likened to Dragonball Z: Budokai, but there is significantly less space for characters to run around, so the fight stays within relatively close quarters at all times.

Pikachu vs. Lucario

However, when a character makes a direct hit at medium range, the fighting mode shifts into a 2.5D system more similar to Street Fighter or Tekken. At this point, characters string together combos and use high-low mixups to do damage. The game stays in this mode until someone lands a 'finishing blow' to knock their opponent away, doing major damage and sending the match back into 'free range' mode.

Machamp vs. Suicune
One of the main complaints of the Budokai series was that the transition from close-range to long-range fighting felt forced and awkward, but today's gameplay suggests that the two types of fighting transition into each other smoothly. Even repeated switches between fighting modes looked natural, allowing for both projectile and physical fighting to play an important part in battles.

Pikachu vs. Gardevoir
Arcade Machines

So far, Pokken Tournament has only been announced as a Japanese arcade game, but today's presentation left some hints that suggest a possible console release! The machines themselves have a great aesthetic, but what was most notable was the control scheme.

Unlike traditional arcade fighters that use a joystick and buttons on the arcade cabinet, Pokken Tournament features a console-style gamepad with a d-pad and a four-button layout, mimicking the basic design of the Wii U Game Pad. Fingers crossed this means a Wii U release in the future! For those who live in Japan, there will be some location tests going at the end of this month, so take a look at the official site to find one near you!

Credit and thanks to Serebii.net for the pictures used in this article.

- - - - - -
That's all the info for now - what do you think about Pokken Tournament? Are you excited, or is it not what you expected? Make your voice heard in the comments below!

The Derrit wants to play whoever the Grass-type representative is. Shiftry perhaps? Chat with him on Twitter at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

ThatNintendoDude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
THATNINTEND0DUDE
3DS FC
3437-3553-0356
Now that we know that non-fighting / two-legged Pokémon can be playable characters:

MAGIKARP FOR POKKEN. HARADA PLZ.

Last edited:

Enchlore

Smash Cadet
NNID
Enchlore
That's a kinda weird controller. It looks like it has a large space meant for analogs but there aren't any.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Not even much of a Pokémon fan lately, and I'm still hyped for this. Looks like it will be a truly unique exclusive for the Wii U (it was confirmed for Wii U MONTHS ago!).

D

Deleted member

YES! PIKACHU! YES! I knew it would happen, I mean who wouldn't? Anyway, I'm hoping there's 2vs2 here and the like. Teams battles are always great, amirite?!

And, am I the only one hoping there are subtitles for their entrance/win dialogue?

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
If it shows to include skill, I'll buy, but if it's more of a button-masher, I'll pass.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
I'm seeing a lot of bits and pieces of Tekken and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm here. It's interesting, but I'd hope stages are varied instead of the same sized circles. All the wallsplats.

ALSO PIKACHU WITH EWGF AND HEIHACHI POSES HAHAHAHA

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I think that, with some effort, Smashboards could become a home for more than just competitive Smash games. We've got Splatoon coming, Pokken, and I bet we'll get some good fighting games from Nintendo in the future.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I really hope this doesn't take forever to get overseas regardless of what format its in. It's not like they have an excuse not to bring it westside either, everyone already loves Pokemon.

xzx

Smash Lord
Inb4 Greninja, Mewtwo and Charizard will be playable characters while Jigglypuff will be a support Pokémon. amiibo features much?

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Dude, if I ever get this game, Suicune just has to be my main for this.

Masked Marill

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3926-6935-1624
Well If suicune can make it into pokken tournament, I see no reason why Metagross can't make it in, Metagross would be hype as hell!

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Gardevoir has what looks like Attract. (All the hearts & stuff)
I'm done.
I'm.
So done.
Take my money now so I can kick ass as that lass.

Aelo

Smash Rookie
After seeing how Pikachu and Suicune can be part of this new game, I don't see why many other choices are not possible. I'm glad the game doesn't focus on Fighting-Type only battles and that they give other types the chance to be playable as well.

I hope this really gets a Wii U release someday. I definetely NEED more competitive Nintendo games and this one looks like the perfect one for me to focus on (apart from Smash). As a huge Pokémon fan I'm definetely hyped.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Gardevoir is an interesting choice for this game, and being a specially offensive pokemon as well...makes me wonder if alakazam and gengar will be included as well...

Aelo

Smash Rookie
Gardevoir has what looks like Attract. (All the hearts & stuff)
I'm done.
I'm.
So done.
Take my money now so I can kick *** as that lass.
Yeah Im loving the Gardevoir myself as well. If the game ever comes to the home console I'm maining that sexy beast as well.

Unless Slowbro is playable. If Slowbro is playable it will be GG all.

Sgt-Sol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sol-Bird 64
3DS FC
2681-1465-2550
Time to start a new fighting Game community :^D anyone wanna help

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
If this gets localized, I wonder if they'll slap on the same old "Pokemon" logo on it

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'm still having my fingers crossed for Electivire I doubt he'll make it but still. Also Suicune lokes hype as heck.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I just gotta see Charizard do a Seismic Toss in this game. :bluejump:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh great, the Queen of Pokefurries had to show her ugly face in this game to make her fanboys hard. :rolleyes:

Other than that, I love that the everyone's favorite yellow mascot and my favorite Legendary Dog is playable. I still want some of that Lucador goodness with Hawlucha since he NEEDS to be playable.

Ichel

Smash Rookie
In my opinion, the game is more like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm
This game looks pretty cool :mad088:

Soul.

Yoooooo, Pikachu looks great. Didn't expect Suicune. Gardevoir? Eh.
Next thing they'll add will be Gengar, don't worry.
Support system is interesting.

Also, here's the controls:
The buttons are as follows: L activates Support, R Guards, A uses Pokémon attacks, B jumps, X is a weak attack and Y is a strong attack. Using the D-Pad and the buttons gives you various different moves. Fill a gauge to unleash Resonance Gauge for extra damage and Burst Attacks (and Mega Evolution).

Top Bottom