• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NERD RAGE (Project M) - August 17th, 2013 - Cincinnati, OH

Should we move the date?

• Yes, push it back to September.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, keep it where it is.

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Update: Tournament is in progress now. In case any problems arise and people need to talk to a TO, I will put my number here. 513-907-9017

Ok ladies and gentlemen it's time for a bit of an experiment.

We all know-- and any who don't know should play and find out-- that Project M is too good...
-Too good to be only a side event.
-Too good to forever stand in the shadow of other tournaments.
-Too good to not have an event of it's own, with singles and doubles and a full bracket with pools!

Thusly I am compelled to say to you, "Why should Project M not have such an event?" Surely there are many among you who would love to attend such an event. If the turnout could be large enough, there are many among you who might even travel great distance in order to attend such an event.

Such an event might be called "NERD RAGE," hosted by me on August 17th at the excellent Arcade Legends in Cincinnati, OH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHdgrZohIm0

And yet they say, "nay!" Project M is only a diversion, a silly thing people do on the side of real games. Such an event could never get attendance! "Nay" has been said and nobody will ever travel for Project M unless there is a "real" game for it to latch onto like a parasite, never comparing to its host in hype or payout or fun. :(

Well, Project M fans, now is the time that we prove the naysayers wrong!

Venue
Arcade Legacy is a great place with a frankly awesome collection of old-school and new-school arcade titles which, as a bonus to go with the venue fee, you will be free to play all throughout the tournament with no need for quarters or tokens. AL is no stranger to relatively large events, having been used to host 40+ man Brawl tournaments in the past. Additional space will be reserved in the mall area nearby so we don't have to worry about running out of places to put our setups. You can check out their website here:
http://arcadelegacyohio.com/

Schedule
Day 1 (Main Events)
11 AM-- Doors Open, Registration for Singles and Doubles begins.​
11:30AM-- Registration for Doubles Closes. Bracket creation and other orginizationy stuff follows. Recommend getting lunch during this time.​
12:30PM-- Doubles Begins​
2:30 PM-- Singles Registration Closes.​
3:30 PM-- Singles Pools Begin. Finish your pool quickly and maybe you'll find time for dinner while further bracket creation activities commence.​
6:00 PM-- Singles Bracket​
1 AM-- Doors Close.​
*PIE CREWS*-- If we make good enough time through Singles Pools, Pie Crews will occur on Day 1, either between Singles Pools and Singles Bracket, or after Singles Finals. If we do not make good enough time, Pie Crews will occur on Day 2.​

Day 2 (Side Events, Smashfest, etc...)
11 AM-- Doors Open, Registration for all side events begins.​
12:30 PM-- Pie Crews, if they have not already occurred on Day 1, will occur now.​
1:30 PM-- Melee CSP and Windjammers registration closed.​
2 PM-- Melee CSP and Windjammers begin.​
*Other Side Events may be possible, and of course setups will be open for friendlies all day*​
9PM-- Doors close.​

Entry Fees
  • $5 Venue Fee:
    This will go to Arcade Legacy to pay for our use of their space. It will include free
  • $5 Setup Incentive Fee:
    This one exists in order to encourage people to bring setups-- which will be needed dearly. Money from setup fees will be kept as cash and paid back to people who bring setups upon arrival.
    • For each full setup-- Wii+Brawl Disc+SD card+TV-- $5 will be given to the person or people who brought it.
    • If you bring more than one, and if there's still money left from the setup incentive fees, you'll get money for those, as well.
    • In the likely event that any cash is left over from these fees, all the excess will go into the Singles prize pool. I have no interest in keeping any of this money, I just want some mechanism to encourage the bringing of setups
  • $10 Entry Fee (per tournament)
    Singles and Doubles will be $10 each to enter. This will compose most of the prize pool for each tournament, of course.
Pre-Registration
Originally this event was conceived with a pre-registration/attendance guarantee model, which seems to have been a little too optimistic about the potential attendees' willingness or ability to plan two months in advance. :p
As of the 31st of July, we have only 14 people signed up of the original 50-person goal. I will leave the pre-registration open, should anybody else wish to use it, but note that it no longer comes with the attendance guarantee! I do still encourage people to sign up this way, since it will make planning for the event much easier on my end, but we will of course be taking signups at the door as well.​
Now, with that out of the way, how do you pre-register? If you go to nerdrage.eventbrite.com, you will notice three registration types: one for entering both singles and doubles, one for entering just singles, and one for entering just doubles. I assume the first one will be the most popular, but the other two will be available just in case. Should you choose to do so, pre-registration comes with an additional small fee of a little under $3. This fee comes from Paypal and Eventbrite for use of their services.​

Payout and Prizes
Singles Payout (may be adjusted in the future based on turnout and demand from community):
  1. 60%
  2. 30%
  3. 10%
  4. Money back
Doubles Payout:
  1. 60%
  2. 30%
  3. 10%
Singles Pot Bonus!
As an incentive for attendees from further away, I had previously offered to put $100 of my own cash into the singles pot, should anybody from more than 500 miles away sign up to play. This goal has been met, and as promised I will be throwing in that $100!​

Rules

• We will be using Project M Demo 2.6-- at the time of this tournament, the most recent Project M release.
  • 4 stock, 8 minute timer
  • Items OFF and set to NONE
  • Buffer OFF
  • Team Attack set to ON.
  • Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
  • If a match ends with both players dying at the same time resulting in Sudden Death, a 1-stock rematch will be played out on the same stage.
  • All Semi-finals and Finals matches will be Best of 5 format.
  • If each player has one stock remaining and the match ends due to a suicide move (Ganon's side-B, DDD's swallow, holding someone in a grab on a platform as it moves out of the boundaries, etc.), the player who initiated the move wins.
  • Non-first party controllers must be inspected by TO staff before use in tourney.
  • Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
  • Standard Dave's Stupid Rule (DSR): You cannot counterpick a stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
    Note: We are using Standard, not Modified DSR, because there are many more reasonable stages in PM than there are in Melee. Use them plz.
  • Gentlemen's Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
  • Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
Stage Strike from Starter Stages for the first match of the set in "122112" fashion:
  1. First player/team strikes one stage.
  2. Second player/team strikes the next two stages.
  3. First player/team strikes the next two stages.
  4. Second player/team strikes one stage.
Starter Stages (Singles and Doubles)
  • Battlefield
  • Dream Land 64
  • Final Destination
  • Fountain of Dreams
  • Pokemon Stadium 2
  • Smashville
  • Yoshi's Story
Counterpick Stages (Singles and Doubles):
  • Dracula's Castle
  • Green Hill Zone
  • Metal Cavern
  • Pokemon Stadium 1
  • Rumble Falls
  • Wario Ware
  • Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Counterpick Stages (Doubles Only):
  • Lylat Cruise
  • SSE Jungle
After each match:
  1. Winner(s) announce TWO(2) stage bans.
  2. Loser(s) choose a Counterpick stage.
  3. Winner(s) choose their character(s).
  4. Loser(s) choose their character(s).
  5. Loser chooses their controller port (optional).
  6. Winner chooses their controller port (optional).
  7. In Doubles, second loser chooses their controller port (optional).
  8. In Doubles, second winner chooses their controller port (optional).

Pie Crews!
As a bonus event for you folks-- especially non-locals-- we will hold free-entry crew battles. Each city that signs up for the main events will be allowed to form a 4-man crew and compete in a bracket-- or potentially round-robin if time allows. Once the crew battles are over, each crew, starting with the winners and working down the placement, will receive one (1) free pie, selected from a variety of pies provided by me using money from my own pocket. There will be enough pie for everyone, but only one pie of each variety. So, if you want to make sure you get your favorite, make sure your crew wins!

Housing
50 people, especially considering many might be locals with no intention of booking hotel rooms, may not be enough for me to bargain for discount rates. However, if we do get enough people from far off lands I will gladly do so and place any needed information here. In the meantime, here's a list of hotels close by:
http://goo.gl/maps/9rOM2
The cheapest rooms seem to be around $55/night. Nothing too ritzy, but there are many options.

Parking
Arcace Legacy is in a mall with a free parking garage, so you shouldn't have to worry about paying to keep your car somewhere, or having it sit somewhere unsafe.

Food
Again, Arcade Legacy is in a mall, and there is a food court directly across from it which should prove rather convenient for hungry tourney-goers. Beyond this I will not be making arrangements for food unless we get more than 70 or so people entered. If that is the case then getting some kind of catering together may be in order, but I'm not quite optimistic enough to think about that just yet.

Other Considerations
I feel like I covered almost everything. Preregistration is open now. Feel free to let me know if you have any concerns over the rules, payouts, and so on, and keep an eye on this thread for further updates and discussion. Anything above may be subject to change depending on feedback from potential attendees.

UPDATE:
The date has been pushed back from the 10th to the 17th of August due to schedule conflicts for a few of the interested players. This should be the final date and I will *not* be changing it again if I can avoid it. If you have pre-registered and this is a problem, let me know and I will refund your ticket. Thanks!

UPDATE 2:
This is now a 2-day event! The venue fee is $5 per day, so if you only stay for the first day-- for the main events and pie crews-- the price is the same. If you want to stick around for the second day, which we will fill with smashfests, crew battles, and maybe some side events, just bring another $5, which Arcade Legacy will collect at the door on day 2.

UPDATE 3:
The deadline for the attendance guarantee has passed, and we have not hit our goal. I revised the above post to let everyone know what's up. From now on, pre-registration is still open, but it no longer comes with the attendance guarantee. The tournament is still happening, and you are free to sign up if you would like, but I'll make no promises as to how many people will be here. My hope is we'll still get around 40-50, but since a lot of people haven't signed up yet I really don't feel comfortable saying for sure.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Formerly used for tracking preregistrants, the following post has been modified as of 8/10/2013 to keep track of setups and other things of organizational importance.

SETUPS
Ok, so as a reminder for how this works-- If you bring a setup, you get $5. This is not just a waived venue fee-- you get $5 for each full setup you bring, so bring more than one if you can-- you will be compensated. The cash for this will be coming out of a pool that each entrant will pay into as the "setup incentive fee." Any extra-- which we will have unless we have at least one setup per person at the tournament (a more than ideal scenario)-- will go into the singles pot.

Hopefully this will get us plenty of setups to use, but just to be safe I'm also going to be asking folks to pledge setups throughout the following week so we can get a definite estimate on how many we will have. Remember also, guys... the more setups we have, the more time and space we will have for friendlies, mm's, warmups, side events, and so on.

Here is our list so far:

1. Doctor X
  2. Overswarm
  3. Arcade Legacy
  4. Arcade Legacy
  5. Mr. Pickles
  6. KOKingpin
If you intend to bring a setup, let me know and I will and you to the list.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Is the date set for sure? I'm busy the weekend of the 10th and the week after. I'm free during August on the 19th and after.
If there's enough demand to do so, I can easily move the date, as long as it is later than the 10th. I was originally going to do July but I didn't want to conflict with Evo.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I approve of limiting the counter pick stages. Sometimes I wish I lived in America so it would be more feasible to go to things like that.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
I approve of limiting the counter pick stages. Sometimes I wish I lived in America so it would be more feasible to go to things like that.
I actually copied the stage list from standardtoaster's Gaming Generations tournament. My feeling is that a tournament like this is not the place for experimentation. Smaller events, maybe, but I doubt anybody wants to drive a significant distance for a tournament with questionable stages on its list. This one seemed reasonable to me.

Of course I'm open to suggestions.

As for an update on the preregistration thing: I believe I figured out how to make it work using a different kind of site called Eventbrite. It allows anybody to create events and sell tickets. Unfortunately there is no functionality for setting a minimum goal or having a nice little bar fill as we work towards that goal-- something I was really hoping to get-- but it does allow full refunds to be issued relatively easily. I'll look more into it tomorrow and update the OP as needed.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Good initiative on this, assuming I don't get bodied by extreme circumstances I'm completely in for this. I love AL and I love P:M.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
In the interest of deciding whether or not to push this back for standardtoaster's sake-- and potentially for the sakes of others-- I posted a poll which I will keep open until Monday. If a decent number of people think the date should change, I will change it. I'm interested in including as many people as possible, but I don't want to be changing the date after starting the preregistration.

So... Prereg goes up on Monday at the latest. Vote in the poll, please, if you want to make the process go a little faster.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i am interested.
i believe my chances of attending would decrease if it was changed to september, but i'll try regardless.
PM only tournaments are the best. no ****ty ass pile of **** brawl or melee around to waste space/tvs.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Major updates to first two posts.

I'm also noticing that there are no results in the poll, so either the poll is broken or people are not caring enough to vote, which is like... wtf guys. How could you not care about this certifiably epic thing happening here?

I'll still leave it open till monday but at the rat this is going it looks like August 10th is going to be our day.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Bump for preregistration opening!

I will update the hype machine post when I get back from work today. Won't be until around 5PM EDT. There may be other updates at that point as well.

metroid1117

Smash Master
I'm about 90% sure I can make this, I pre-registered anyway to show my interest and support :). This sounds pretty awesome, let's make this happen!

Please keep the date to sometime to early/mid August though, I'll have to bail if it conflicts with school =/.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Updates to both posts! The hype machine is go! Expect more stuff in there relatively early this week. I'll have the fb page together tomorrow most likely, unfortunately I'm otherwise engaged tonight.

Also, like I noted in there-- Participation tends to snowball for things like these. The more people we have signed up, the more likely people are to sign up, so... sign up!

Is there no way to have it later in august instead of in september? A lot of people start going back to school in september.
Certainly possible. The 17th is empty, but that's before then 19th and wouldn't help you. The 24th might conflict with a relatively large Melee/Brawl /64 event in Massachussetts, though I've yet to see any EC interest in this so that may not matter. The 31st is free for NA tournaments, it seems, but that may be too close to September for some folks.

I'll leave it up to you guys to discuss. Unfortunately I can't seem to make another poll for this purpose, so either I'm limited to only one, or I need to l2smashboards.

If we don't know who we are teaming with, can we put it as like N/A or ? for now? Who wants to team? :)
You can just leave it blank or write "N/A," and decide who you want to team with later. I just made the field for people who already know who their teammate will be and want me to know ahead of time. Perhaps sometime later I make a list of all the people seeking teammates so we can pair everyone off in this thread.

I'm about 90% sure I can make this, I pre-registered anyway to show my interest and support :). This sounds pretty awesome, let's make this happen!

Please keep the date to sometime to early/mid August though, I'll have to bail if it conflicts with school =/.
Thank you! Definitely keep free to keep me up to date on your situation. If you can't make it, or if we don't hit 50 as noted, I'll be happy to refund.

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
It would be fantastic if you could move it to the 24th or the 31st. If you did that, Monk and I should definitely be able to go. With the current date we'd have to pull some strings and run a really tight flight schedule to get here and that may not even work out. :/

Rizner

Smash Ace
I will hopefully know what's happening soon, but my work is currently looking to move me to Cincinnati. I should hear back soon and will pre-register if they're moving me. Good to see this event.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
FB page added to the Hype Machine post. I'll also put it here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/284942564974262/

It's a public event so feel free to join up and invite anybody you want!

Also, on the subject of moving back to the 24th-- It is still a possibility, though I want some more input from others before I make such a decision. I'll especially be interested in hearing from Metroid since he's the only person who's signed up at the moment. >.<

He also said something about late August being bad for him. @Metroid: Is the 24th too late in August for you?

Scythe

Smash Master
I think any date would be fine for me at this moment. Might change in the future but that's nothing i can control.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I will hopefully be able to make this.

metroid1117

Smash Master
is there any way you can find out if you're able to go on the 24th or 31st, metroid? I really want to go to this but if the date can't be moved then that's fine. :/
The days I'm free depend on what school I go to next year, so I won't know for a while =/.

Also, please don't let me prevent you guys from rescheduling; go with the date that works for the most people, don't keep it just because I might not be able to go >.>.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom