• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Needing help with Luigi

Eric Jason

Smash Rookie
Hello, I just got back into Melee, my friend showed me wave dashing, teching, and that there is a better community here than there is in Starcarft (which is the other game I try to play competitively)

Anyways I am now trying to learn more advance techniques as well as learn match ups, counter levels, good moves, etc.) For example I cannot beat my friends Marth or Peach for the life of me. Marth always out ranges me with his sword and Peach always waits for me to go in for a wave dash, and then down smashes me (0%-60% always) I'm also pretty bad up against Link, Fox, C. Falcon, and Young Link. I was seeing if anyone could give good tips on that, as well as anything else. If I missed something please add, if there is anything I should be practicing on more or putting into my play style please add as well.

I usually try to use a lot of grabs (down throw, up throw, back throw) wavedashing (obvi) NAir, BAir, FAir, DAir, Down Smash, Up Smash, Jab (1, 2, and 3) Down B (break out of combos mainly) Side B (to go back to ledge and time it just in case miss fire) My Up B is rusty and if anyone has advice on how to Up B out of Shield that would help me out so much!

Thomdore

Smash Cadet
If you hold shield, you can Up-B out of it. Basically it's because you can jump out of shield (OOS), and therefore you can also Upsmash/Up B OOS. Dashattack habits are easy too spot (personally I think this is a weak approach for any character without haveing your opponent in hitstun), and upB too punish OOS if they don't space it is really good at kill%, and even @ 35-40%-> because it's basically 25% free dmg. Optimally you wanna grab OOS most characters at lower % for combos/edgeguarding/stage control.

Last edited:

Hybridisms

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hybridism
Luigi mains long before of us have left plenty of content and guides. Specifically, most of the things you asked for help with are answered in the stickies on this subforum.

Oh, and just because I hate Marth, you'll want to waveshield into him and get him with a grab and then a spot dodged waveshield grab the next time. Obviously go for the chain grab especially at mid%. Wavedashed forward F tilts are the best form of attack on the ground. If for whatever reason they upB onto the stage just waveland back on stage and shoryuken. Practice in 20XX edgegaurds especially noting just the hitbox of the aerials and not your hurt box hit his sword. Lastly, downB's tornado is essential if you get tippered off of stage. Depending on the stage, and keeping in mind to never burn your jump until after DownB, try to recover low then high since you never want to be above a Marth. Good luck and good choice picking Luigi!

Last edited:

Griffard

Smash Ace
Just because it hasn't been mentioned yet- you should never get downsmashed 0-60 by a Peach unless you maybe jumped from below while she's on a platform and you had tried to down air giving you a down press to keep getting blended.

Luigi is a floatier character, and pressing up and out should mean that you get hit by one, two hits max by the dsmash.

Top Bottom