• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

need help with the Marth match up

Boomdrop

Smash Rookie
I have recently been having trouble with the Marth match up i haven't been able to get away from the fairs and just get grabbed/up tilted. What are ways to work against the Marth grabs and the fair strings?

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Okay, so the thing about this matchup is this: You MUST camp. Even if you don't want to. It sucks, a lot. Mainly for me because I like to "Peach" people's stocks away.

First off, in the neutral, in the words of Armada, you are NOT the one at the advantage in the neutral. It will always be Marth UNLESS you have a turnip. Turnips are what you need in order to win this matchup. So, what do you need to do in the neutral?

Okay, to start off, Marth has an insane dash. His dash dance is god-like, like you must not get baited into throwing things out randomly or you will get grabbed > whatever for a lot of percent. Know the range of his attacks and STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS. If you're far enough away, pull a turnip, but be careful. If you pull one too close, or at a distance where the Marth can corner you for doing so, you've messed this part up. Now, what you want to be doing with the turnip is cutting him off. You can combo Marth with these, and since he's a floaty, he gets knocked away a good bit by them, which can lead to you regrabbing that same turnip and throwing it. But wait, the Marth is getting used to you turnips. There's a number of things a Marth can do to avoid your turnips. He can: shield > wavedash forward > grab, jab, dash away, fair, jump over, and maybe even more. What I've been able to do about these situations is if Marth shields and wavedashes towards you, if they shield after the wavedash, grab them. If they for for an f-smash, shield, and if it's not the tipper, wavedash oos and grab. If they go for a fair, it is possible to dash attack under it. Basically, you want to find as many openings via turnips.

Now, you won't always have a turnip, so if you don't have one, you can space with your most disjointed aerial, bair. You want to do it kinda low to the ground, not so high. The reason for this is the fact that you going to want to be grounded a lot during this matchup. Above Marth is not a fun place to be. Unless he gets in the habit of dash attacking, which is unlikely, I'd do mostly low FC bairs.

If you get grabbed at low percents, I may be wrong about this one, but I'm afraid there's nothing you can do about not getting followed up on. F-throw, to f-smash will always hit you, even if you DI down and away. It's really hard to not get grabbed, but you have to space yourself. If a Marth is looking for a dash dance grab and you know he is, you can dash attack, but is HAS to be timed. It can be shielded or baited and you will get punished.

As for up-tilt, it's a really good kill move on Peach at high percents, and avoiding it is tricky. Most players will go for side b > up tilt, which can be avoided. I'm not completely sure if normal DI away ACTUALLY works, but I know smash DI-ing side b away works, but that's pretty hard considering how fast the move is. I'd just try to not be in range of the up-tilt, though that's easier said than done.

It's a hard matchup, man. Sorry if it seems like I just threw all of this together. I just kinda let it roll off of my mind haha. Hope this helps! :D

Boomdrop

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help I was undervaluing the turnip in the match and I normally was just in the Marths face with Nairs and that was what lead to getting Uptilted/grabbed. Is grabbing an important part in this match up? and should I avoid using FC Fairs and dash attack to approach?

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Thanks for the help I was undervaluing the turnip in the match and I normally was just in the Marths face with Nairs and that was what lead to getting Uptilted/grabbed. Is grabbing an important part in this match up? and should I avoid using FC Fairs and dash attack to approach?
No problem! Generally, you don't want to float as an approach because of Marth's disjointed hitboxes. Grabbing's good IF you can get it off. If you f-throw at a good enough percent to where he flies a good distance away, pull a turnip. You want to find as many ways to pull turnips at possible. If you do approach with FC fair, cover your approach by full hopping > turnip throw > float > fair. And if you approach with nair, cover it with short hop > turnip throw > float > nair.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
pull turnips whenever its safe to, if you're not approaching without a turnip 90% of the time you're playing the MU wrong marth completely outrages peach so turnips are by far the easiest way to get in

Dash attacking there legs when they jump as well is GoD LiKe but dont over use it as its predictable so mix it up

stay on the ground, marth rekts you in the air

Top Bottom