• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with meteor smashing with dair and misfire!

Kintae

Smash Rookie
Any tips or ways to practice meteorsmashing with Luigi's dair?

Also, I know misfire is out of chance but is there any tips to get it more often?

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
1. If i understood it correctly you need to hit exclusively with the upper part of Luigi. So if Luigi is facing right your enemy needs to be on his left, if he is below you. If he is above it's also better if he's left but you could also hit the meteor on the right side (if he's too low he will enter the other hit-box again).

Here's a picture of the from-below-scenario, the green box indicates an enemy that would be meteored:

2. More missiles, more misfires!

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
What ELStalky said about the meteor. Also if you hit with the lower hitbox at all (even if you also hit with the meteor hitbox) then the meteor won't take effect; you have to hit with just the upper hitbox.

Misfire is pure chance; no matter what you do, it's always a static 12.5%. I don't know what cycles the random number generator, but it cannot be controlled by a player under normal circumstances (there are however many tool-assisted speedruns that manipulate the RNG, including this one of a Very Hard All-Star mode run with Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMN_S5bCB6c).

Other seeming random elements in Melee can be controlled, however (to varying extents). Mr Game & Watch's Judgement is one example (you can't get the last 2 numbers that you got, and at the beginning of the match it's as if you had already used a 1 and a 2).

Last edited:

Kintae

Smash Rookie
What ELStalky said about the Meteor. Also if you hit with the lower hitbox at all (even if you also hit with the meteor hitbox) then the meteor won't take effect; you have to hit with just the upper hitbox.

Misfire is pure chance; no matter what you do, it's always a static 12.5%. I don't know what cycles the Random Number Generator, but it cannot be controlled by a player under normal circumstances (there are however many tool-assisted speedruns that manipulate the RNG, including this one of a Very Hard All-Star mode run with Luigi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMN_S5bCB6c).

Other seeming random elements in Melee can be controlled, however. Mr Game & Watch's Judgement is one example (you can't get the last 2 numbers that you got, and at the beginning of the match it's as if you had already used a 1 and a 2).
yeah

BluEG

Smash Journeyman
El Stalky made the post to end all posts about Luigi's Dair spike. Kudos.

Top Bottom