• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Need help with float cancels

Obsorbo

Smash Rookie
Hey, fellow smasher I'm recently got into the competitive melee scene( about 6 months ago) and went to my first tournament about to 3 weeks ago and I pick up peach as my new main this past week. I been working on floating, being smart about my use of turnips and working getting consistent my punishes and grab and also working on general technical skills( wavedashing,landing l-canceling etc.) and just playing the game as much as I can. However I seem to run into a problem when I practice float canceling, I can't tell if I am executing it correctly and I wanted to know if there was a way to know if float canceled successful.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Okay, first off, you need to make sure you're doing the transition correctly. Jump > flick down > float > aerial > fast fall. The button combo would go as such, implying you use Y to jump and A to aerial for a nair: Y > down > A > down. To know if you did the float cancel correctly, when you hit the ground after you aerial, your landing animation should look the exact same as your jump landing animation. Since I'm really sleepy right now, I'll link a video MacD made about Peach tech skill. He mentions float canceling haha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvNgmahChOM

kr4yt

Smash Rookie
The video linked above is a great resource for learning to FC.

Raisin summed it up fairly well, the important part is dropping the float quickly after throwing out the aerial and then fast falling. It should be fairly obvious when you get the float cancel properly. The aerial needs to start while you're in float and you need to land before the animation ends, those are the 2 requirements for a proper float cancel. When I first started learning the way I checked to see if I was getting the cancel properly was to throw out a jab as soon as I landed, the delay will be quite noticeable if you missed the FC.

Top Bottom