• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

N64 USB Adapter 3.0

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
Just finished new version.
Verified 0 frames of delay.

This is what it looks like:

Confirmed sources working:
  • Keyboard,
  • XBOX360 controller
  • Raphnet adapters
    • Gamecube to USB
    • N64 to USB
    • SNES to USB

Semi - DETAILED Instructions on how to build one yourself:
What to do:

Buy a Beaglebone Black (bbb). Optionally (and recomended ) is to purchase a boardzoo lcd7 (http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBone_LCD7).

Follow the instructions here (http://elinux.org/BeagleBoardUbuntu#eMMC:_BeagleBone_Black), to install ubuntu on the EEMC (internal bbb memory)

login to the bbb
{
name=ubuntu
pass=temppwd
}

connect the bbb to the internet with an ethernet cable.
update the board, install 3rd party software:
{
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lxde
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get vim
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends jstest* joystick xboxdrv
sudo apt-get install firefox
}

The installs might take a while (10-30 minutes)

If you plan on using the LCD7, do this:
{
sudo vim /etc/modules
press i to edit. type in:

fbcon
ti_tscadc

then press esc, type ":x" + press enter key, to save and exit
}

Once all that is finished, you can restart the BBB. There will be a windows environment now
Open up firefox, and download the pjxsf3.0_sdl1.2.tar file which contains the source. (or scp it from another computer)

here it is:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByaHPy6q7Iuack9iTl9YcFNBTW8/edit?usp=sharing

extract that tar file.

in a terminal, cd to the pjxsf3.0_sdl1.2 folder
type
{
sudo ./runonce.sh
./build.sh
}

If you get errors, let me know.

Once you have done the above steps, you will never have to repeat them.

Now, every time you want to run the adapter, you must do the following once,
after you turn on the beagle bone black
open a terminal and cd to the pjxsf3.0_sdl1.2 folder
{
sudo su
export SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots
cd /lib/firmware
echo PRU-GPIO-Enable > $SLOTS
exit
}

Now you can run pjx74 by typing ./a.out EXCEPT:
if you want to use an xbox controller, you need to do this in a SEPERATE terminal, prior to running the thing:
{

echo "blacklist xpad" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo rmmod xpad # unload module if already loaded
xboxdrv --silent
}

The white wire of the n64 gets put into pin 12 of header P8. (I'll take a pic of this later). The black wire goes into pin 1 of header P8. Dont leave the red wire exposed.

Last edited:

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
For Apex I need someone to bring:

2 USB mice
1 LCD computer screen w/digital input OR a video device that can take HDMI.
1 or 2 power strips
Players will have to bring their own usb device thingys.

I have 2 adapters. To bring a 3rd, someone will need a powered USB hub.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Please share your secrets with Bloodpeach as he's creating an adapter for me to use. Do your adapters require to be set up every single time? (Will they save the config if you switch consoles for example)

Karajan

Banned via Warnings
You can unplug the n64controller wire to like switch from 2nd to 3rd player or w/e, but there is no battery so you gotta keep it plugged into something.

Who is going to be using them at apex?
Killer - KB
StarKing - KB
Koro - KB
skrlx - xbox

??? LD - xbox
??? MATTS! - ps2

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
MATTS and LD are not going. I use XBOX 360, though I think I'm good since Bloodpeach is creating an adapter that I can use. (Though it'd be a nice backup to use yours if I can't use his at a certain point.) Please share your secrets with him! 0 frames sounds nice

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i like that KB in the pic

IF YOU WANT, i can bring a 1600x900 5ms 20" DVI monitor and probably komo and mine's mice, also 2 power strips

powered usb hubs are like 7-12$ at local discount stores near me, might be same over there at EC

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
I(hipstur) use 360 controller also, and was also planning to make use of bloodpeachi's adapter with near. the more setups the better though c:

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
Yo err i know this is noob question but since you got 0 frame delay, i assumed you used the controller plug in from the pj64 emu? So since you made it 0 frames for your adapter,does that mean we can get 0 frames for the emu?

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
So I guess this means you can't fix the delay input from the plugin on the emu right? D:
I could, but I don't care enough about it.

I'd rather build a new netplay functionality for an emulator with good plugins, like bizhawk.
I wouldn't make it rely on server's either, instead make it distributed, like how a torrent network works.

Komotonoto

Smash Journeyman
I could, but I don't care enough about it.

I'd rather build a new netplay functionality for an emulator with good plugins, like bizhawk.
I wouldn't make it rely on server's either, instead make it distributed, like how a torrent network works.
What was your major in school? Or how did you learn all this? Also, would it take longer to fix the plug in delay or what you just proposed? Can you maybe do both? Or am I just asking for too much? lel

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Well with working with emulators you will need to know whatever the emulator is written in. Pretty sure most are written in C/C++. Learn C first. Then learn an object oriented language like C++ or C#. I wrote my adapter in C/C++. Hopefully the plugin you want to fix is open source cause if it isn't, then you will need to write your own plugin. If you are working on windows, you need to use win API's to do input. Windows (and xbox) uses DirectX, so you'll need to learn how to use those libraries, and they are in C++.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Hey Karajan, it'd be great if you could update this thread or maybe make an entirely new thread with any sort of updates you may have since making this thread. I'm on the verge of buying the parts that I need for the adapter, but it'd be great to have a definitive thread that explains what you need and what you need to do. For example, you've recently told me about needing a USB hub, but you make no mention of this on this thread. I saw you say something to hipstur about not giving him your most recent code? So the pjxsf3.0_sdl1.2.tar file that's listed here is not up to date?

Now, every time you want to run the adapter, you must do the following once,
after you turn on the beagle bone black
open a terminal and cd to the pjxsf3.0_sdl1.2 folder
{
sudo su
export SLOTS=/sys/devices/bone_capemgr.*/slots
cd /lib/firmware
echo PRU-GPIO-Enable > $SLOTS
exit
}

Now you can run pjx74 by typing ./a.out EXCEPT:
if you want to use an xbox controller, you need to do this in a SEPERATE terminal, prior to running the thing:
{

echo "blacklist xpad" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
sudo rmmod xpad # unload module if already loaded
xboxdrv --silent
}
iirc, I saw somewhere that this is now automated? I dunno. Thanks, dude.

callmejon

Smash Rookie
Hey I would like to build something exactly like this but instead I want to build it for a gamecube adapter. I want to be able to play Melee with keyboard. Is there any way you can help me with that? Maybe just set me on the right track?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
going to bump this as unfortunately there seems to be no other place for it :/
It looks like this guide is dead. the updated linux kernal images available now for the bbb no longer work with capemgr. also it looks like the compiler for the app is broken. I've tried getting in touch with OP with no luck.
Also the more recent guide on pastebin/onlinessb doesnt even have a download link for usb2nintendo.tar :(. suggest anyone else looking to do this waits until there is a fix.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
going to bump this as unfortunately there seems to be no other place for it :/
It looks like this guide is dead. the updated linux kernal images available now for the bbb no longer work with capemgr. also it looks like the compiler for the app is broken. I've tried getting in touch with OP with no luck.
Also the more recent guide on pastebin/onlinessb doesnt even have a download link for usb2nintendo.tar :(. suggest anyone else looking to do this waits until there is a fix.
You can likely get a hold of Karajan through Facebook in the Worldwide SSB64 group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/134497873392355/

Top Bottom