• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Mysterious Arsenal - Greninja Information & AT Thread

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team

This thread contains Greninja's moveset (for reference) and other general information. In addition, Advanced Techniques are to be discussed in here.

FRAME DATA

General Statistics & Information
Weight: 94 (Credit to Aerodrome)
# of Jumps: 2
Ability to Crawl: Yes
Wall Cling: Greninja can cling to the wall.

Greninja's Alternates
Blue- Greninja's original color.
Red- Red color.
Pink- Resembles Lickitung's color scheme.
Black- Loose interpretation of Greninja's shiny color.
Lavender- Lavender color.
Green- Green color.
Grey- Resembles Mewtwo's color scheme.
Dark Purple- Resembles Shadow Lugia's color scheme.

Normal Attacks

1st Jab, followed by ender
Neutral Attack: Jab Combo
Damage: 2% (1st), 1.6% (2nd), 3.5% (basic ender), (1% per infinite jab)
Greninja does 2 quick jabs, then a multi-hit repeated jab. This is finished with a straight punching ender, or a rapid infinite with a minimum of 4 hits.

Dash Attack: Slide
Damage: 7%
Greninja will slide down during his slide and sweep with a low kick. It launches the opponent a bit.

Forward Tilt: Ninja Kick
Damage: 7.3%
A quick, basic kick. It can be angled up or down, and used for poking.

Up Tilt: Tongue Swipe
Damage: 4.5%
Greninja will fling its tongue into the air and back. It's best to use this when you aren't facing the opponent, as the hitbox comes from behind Greninja.

Down Tilt: Low Kick
A basic low kick. This kick is rather useful, linking into a variety of attacks.

Getup Attack
Damage: 5%
A two-sided kick followed by a swift return to Greninja's neutral position.

Edge Attack
A swift kick that knocks the opponent back into the air a bit.

Forward Smash: Water Sword
Damage: 14%-19%
Greninja uses a water sword to attack forward. Note that using the sword doesn't hit right in front of Greninja, but a short distance away.

Up Smash: Water Arc
Damage: 19%-26% (sweetspot); 11%-15% (sourspot sides); 10-15% (sourspot late hit)
Greninja will swing two swords upwards in an outwards arc. This works well against opponents who are trying to recover onto the stage itself, but has some endlag. There are two hits to this move; the side hit (which is the sourspot, as is a late hit with the center) and the center hit (the sweetspot).

Down Smash: Dual Swords
Damage: 13%-18%
Greninja swings two water blades horizontally, in both directions. This attack has a bit more range compared to Up Smash, and a bit more base damage; however, it has less KO power vertically.

Neutral Aerial: Water Vortex
Damage: 11% (sweetspot), 6% (sourspot)
Greninja summons a vortex of water to damage his surroundings. In the air, this has large endlag, but it fast falled onto the ground, it is cancelled. The sweetspot is closest to Greninja, and the sourspot is the outside of the water.

Forward Aerial: Aerial Water Sword
Damage: 14%
A slow yet powerful aerial attack using a water sword. Arguably one of Greninja's best KO moves in its arsenal, it is used best when following up a dash attack or a down tilt. It does not hit on Greninja's arm, so it needs to be slightly spaced.

Back Aerial: Triple Back Kick
Damage: 3% (1st kick), 2.5% (2nd kick), 4% (final kick)
Greninja kicks backward, three times. The final kick has much more knockback than the other previous ones.

Up Aerial: Rising Drill Kick
Damage: 1.3% for each kick, 3% for the ender, and 9% if all hits connect.
A basic upwards drilling kick. It looks and behaves similar to Sheik's and Zero Suit Samus's up aerial. The first few hits spike, and the last one launches. By fast falling at the right time, you can send them to the ground with you (see Advanced Techniques)

Down Aerial: Dive Kick
Damage: 8%
Greninja dives down onto the ground, hitting any enemies below him. If Greninja hits someone, it'll bounce up again, allowing for a potential follow up. Don't use this in the air unless you are sure you can recover from it, or you will hit an opponent, guaranteed.

Pummel: Water Jab
Damage: 2%
Greninja hits the opponent with water. It's an average jab.

Forward Throw: Forward Toss
A basic, forwards throw. This throw is not exactly useful against many opponents, and may be used to setup a Hydro Pump off the ledge.

Back Throw: Swinging Throw
Damage: 8%
Greninja will swing the opponent around and throw them. Like Forward Throw, the uses of this attack aren't plentiful. The best uses of it are to get the opponent off the ledge.

Up Throw: Upwards Toss
A basic upwards toss. Likely, one will use this the most often, as you can follow up with a few moves, notably Up Air.

Down Throw: Slam
Throws the opponent onto the ground, causing a slight ground bounce. Depending on the opponent's DI, you can follow this up.

Up Taunt:
Greninja strikes a simple pose, similar to the one he does in a few of his moves.

Side Taunt:
Greninja waggles his tongue scarf around.

Down Taunt:
Greninja summons two small fountains of water. Does .5% damage per hit (hitting in 3 frame intervals) and has a launching windbox. This move has some rather odd uses to it.

Special Moves

Neutral Special: Water Shuriken
Damage: 3%- 10.5% on No Charge to Almost Full Charge. On a full charge, .7% for each hit of the Shuriken (being 5 total), and 9% for the ender.
Properties: Chargeable, Cannot be Stored
Greninja's signature move (or, one of them) is his neutral special. A single shuriken is fired forward in Greninja's direction, parallel to the ground. Charging it will increase it's power and distance. A Shuriken that isn't fully charged will only hit once, while a fully charged shuriken hits multiple times with more knockback at the end.

Side Special: Shadow Sneak
Damage: 10% for Forward Attack, 12% for back kick
Properties: Chargeable, Cannot be Stored
Shadow Sneak is yet another chargeable move at Greninja's disposal. Greninja will teleport in the direction it is facing for a set distance (determined by Greninja's current shadow), then attack. This move is the same in the air, but the shadow will appear on the ground. Unlike many other moves that charge, you can move around while charging this. Charging it will increase the distance it travels. If you are trying to recover, this move can be used before a Hydro Pump to massively increase the distance you are able to recover.

Up Special: Hydro Pump
Damage: 2% for each water blast.
Properties: Can be used Twice or Once, Causes Special Fall, Pushes Opponents
Greninja's primary recover is Hydro Pump. This allows Greninja to move in two different directions (like Pikachu's Quick Attack), or in one direction for an extended period. It's unique in that it not only deals damage, but pushes characters.

Down Special: Substitute
Damage: Horizontal counters do 11%. Vertical counters do 14%. Diagonal counters do 13%.
Properties: Counter
Greninja strikes a quick pose, and if he is attacked, a log or substitute will appear to take the hit. After the input, holding a directional button can change where Greninja will strike from (either from the right, left, or above.) Vertical Counters will KO earlier than others, but it's rather difficult to pull off.

Neutral 2: Stagnant Shuriken
Damage: 3%-12%
Properties: Stationary, Chargeable, Cannot be Stored
Greninja's second Neutral is Stagnant Shuriken. This Shuriken has a small range to it, so it doesn't hit opponents directly next to you if it's not charged. You can charge this to allow it to do more damage. The main use of this move is likely at a ledge to pester recovering opponents, or on the ground to gain some temporary space.

Side 2: Shadow Strike
Damage: 15-17%
Properties: Chargeable, Cannot be Stored, Backslash
Intense Shadow Sneak is similar to Shadow Sneak, but it acts slightly differently. It gets much stronger when it is charged (and he will get much slower once the shadow is charged more), and has a backslash effect with knockback when you get behind the opponent with Greninja's shadow.

Up 2: High-Capacity Pump
Damage: 0%
Properties: Causes Special Fall, Pushes Opponents
Similar to Hydro Pump, Large Pump allows Greninja to move in two directions. However, both bursts will be used, and this does not damage opponents. This move is inferior to the normal pump, as it is slower and easier to intercept.

Down 2: Exploding Attack
Damage: 10%
Properties: Explosive
Greninja's second Down Special acts much differently to Substitute. When used, Greninja will disappear briefly and reappear with an explosive wave around itself. Unlike Substitute, this move does not function as a counter. This can be used as a good KO tool, as it will finish off most characters at ~100% by the ledge.

Neutral 3: Shifting Shuriken
Damage: 3%
Properties: Pseudo-Chargable
Greninja's third Neutral Special acts similarly to Water Shuriken. Holding down special will determine how fast and how long the shuriken travels, but the distance and knockback are set at moderate, static levels. This move is good for mixing up opponents and charges quicker, but cannot travel or camp at the level neutral Shuriken does.

Side 3: Shadow Dash
Damage: 6% (+1% if you pass through the opponent)
Properties: Backslash
Greninja's third Side Special is somewhat different from it's first one. The distance that is used is a set function and it activates as soon as you press the button. Damage is reduced, but it has more knockback and a small backslash bonus for passing through the opponent. This move has it's uses, but has more endlag than the normal Shadow Sneak.

Up 3: Single-Shot Pump
Properties: Pushes Opponents, Causes Special Fall
Greninja's third Up Special behaves much differently from Hydro Pump. As suggested by the name, it only fires one burst of water. However, it is much faster and covers more vertical distance. This move removes the windbox and replaces it with a normal hitbox, but cannot be angled.

Down 3: Substitute Ambush
Damage: 15%
Properties: Counter
Greninja's third down special is a slower version of Substitute; this move is stronger, but has a long window between the counter and the attack. This move is very interceptable and avoidable, so it's best to not use this.

Greninja's Final Smash, taken from the Wii U Invitational.
Final Smash: Secret Ninja Attack
Damage: ~52%
Greninja will capture the opponent in a mat (based off of Mat Block) and will launch the opponent into the sky and assault them with a barrage of slashes (which appear to be similar to Night Slash). This attack ends with a downwards strike that will launch the opponent back to the ground, and bears similarities to Galaxia Darkness and Great Aether, Meta Knight and Ike's Final Smashes, respectively. It's also similar to Strider Hiryu's "Ragnarock" and Spiderman's "Maximum Spider" from the Marvel VS Capcom series.

Official Custom Moveset Project Sets
1112, 3112, 3111, 1312, 1311, 3312, 3311, 3113
1112, 3112, 3111, 1312, 1311, 3312, 3311, 3113, 2112, 2111
Added: 2112, 2111

Advanced Techniques
Please read this post regarding ATs.
Shadow Sneak Delaying - Shadow Sneak can be delayed for what seems to be an indefinite amount of time; this is done by starting Shadow Sneak, jumping and tapping a L, R, the D-Pad, or A (at the apex of the jump) while holding B. For more info, check out the thread!

Platform Shadow Sneak - Shadow Sneak, when released level to a platform, will release differently if it you end in the air. You are pulled to the left; facing right pulls you next to your starting direction, left pushes you back. For more info, check out the thread!

Out of Shield Shadow Sneak - It's possible to Shadow Sneak out of a shield, but not jump. Activate Shadow Sneak on the ground, and shield (while holding the circle/analog stick the same direction as you are moving) and then press B. Check out this post for details and a video!

Shadow Sneaking While Shielding - It's possible to activate Shadow Sneak while you are sliding after shielding post-running. Activate Shadow Sneak's input during this sliding animation, and while in shield you will be able to charge Shadow Sneak. Check this post for details and a video!
Up Aerial Spiking - Greninja's up aerial attack has the ability to spike. Once a Uair connects, immediately fast fall; this should prevent the last two hits (which cause a small vertical launch) from connecting, and makes your opponent down to the ground, potentially bouncing at higher %s. If the bounce is unteched, it is a true combo.

SHFF Nair (Short Hop Fast Fall Neutral Aerial) - This technique uses a short hop, followed by a fast falling Nair. This is a helpful technique as you can get in a quick hit with it.

Hydro Bubbling - Using Hydro Pump on the ground results in a single pump shot. It's often an overlooked detail, but it does the same damage and knockback as a standard single pump.

Frontstab - Using Shadow Sneak, holding the charge, turning around while releasing the button and flicking the button will have Greninja do the backstab in the direction you initially faced.

Patch Changes
Buffs:
-DSmash's damage increased from 11-15 to 13-18.
-UAir Spike is much easier to perform, and now properly combos into a variety of moves.
-Shadow Sneak's endlag reduced.

Nerfs:
USmash:
-More end lag.
-Sourspot damage has decreased from 13-18 to 11-15, swapping with DSmash.

Shadow Sneak:
-Shadow Sneak cannot cancel landing lag from aerials anymore

-Fast Fall Shadow Sneak removed.
-Water Shuriken's ending and landing lag increased.
-Hydro Pump's pushback and hitbox reduced.
-UAir's 5th hit does not spike anymore, and the previous spikes are weaker. The spike, in addition, cannot cause a ground bounce anymore.
-Fair's knockback reduced.
Unchanged.
While many reports of USmash's hits being easier to connect were reported, there was never any hard evidence to prove this.
Buffs:
FTilt:
-Damage changed from 6.5 to 7.3.
-Knockback slightly reduced, Base Knockback increased
-Speed adjusted (appx. 7 frames faster)
Buffs:
Water Shuriken
-Start up decreased by 5 frames
-Bugfix: Aerial Stall ability

Changes:
Down Throw
-Damage changed from 6 to 5.
-Ending frames reduced by 7.
Changes:
Win animation fixed to have better water effects.
Buffs:
The following moves have higher knockback growth (meaning they kill earlier)
FSmash (99 to 101)
USmash Hit 2 Sweetspot (103 to 104)
DSmash (90 to 92)
Shadow Sneak Front Attack (102 to 104)
Shadow Sneak Rear Attack (101 to 103)
Shadow Dash Attack (90 to 92)
Unchanged.
Data mining found that there was no changes.

Last edited:

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
Greninja seems to be a mid-high tier threat and looks to be specially punishing to slow characters like Bowser and King Dedede. Those water shurikens are a highlight in my eyes as well, with the multiple hits followed with knockback, a fully charged shuriken could definitely rack up some early damage and could also aid Greninja in edge guarding.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
it's such a huge shame you can't hold the charge like you can with so many other chargeable projectiles in the smash series

Spirst

Exactly, holding a fully charged shuriken with those properties would be very scary.
Can't wait for the Sm4sh version of Brawl - where Greninja can store up to 5 fully charged water shurikens.

Spirst

Oh, man, that is OP. We need to come up with a name for that. Ledge denial? Hydro push?
How about ":4greninja:'d"? That, or "lol bye".

Hydro pushing sounds alright. I think aqua pushing might be more accurate though since his up b is aqua jet.

EDIT: Oops, nope, it's hydro pump. WATEVR!

What do you mean?
I was referring to Brawl-, a Brawl mod, giving characters ridiculous buffs in order to balance out the game by making each character so unbalanced.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I personally like "lol bye"

I've seen a lot more Greninja gameplay lately and some great players are using him such as amsa. I think his neutral game and kill potential have both improved a lot over the last couple of days; his normals are solid, his grab game is really strong and people are finding a lot of kill setups and even combos that work at a variety of percentages. Dtilt -> Usmash is awesome and works at like 100%+. I THINK I've also seen meaty Dash Attack -> Usmash, Uair or Fair, can't tell for sure if these are true combos but I think they become true if the DA is meaty.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Oh man, that's EXACTLY what I was hoping for- I can see leaping off and just up-B'ing back will be good enough to guarantee a kill most of the time.
You don't need to leap off. You can do the first hit from the stage and then do the second hit to go back into the stage.

I think we should call this technique "Pump Pushing" or "PP".

Also I think the Fast Falled Up-Air should be given a name because I have a big feeling it's going to be very key part of Greninja's combo and kill potential. Maybe just call it UAFF (Up-Air Fast Falled). We can continue it such as this UAFF-US (Up-Air Fast Fall Up-Smash) or UAFF-Grab, etc.

@ Gunla Gunla I was thinking of making a thread with general techniques and strategies Greninja should use against other characters. I understand there's a matchup thread but it wasn't matchup specific, it was more of a general feel of what Greninja should be doing in a game. I've played around 50 matches with him and even though I am not the most pro Greninja ever, I think I have a few valid tips to give. Where should I be posting this information? Here?

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Feel free to do so.

Even if it's not matchup specific, I'd rather open up the discussions now for matchups and general strategies against other characters rather than wait until October, and in addition, the idea of that sounds much better for a thread. How about a General Matchups, Strategies and Impressions Thread? You can set that one up. ;)

And I got your DP handled.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Feel free to do so.

Even if it's not matchup specific, I'd rather open up the discussions now for matchups and general strategies against other characters rather than wait until October, and in addition, the idea of that sounds much better for a thread. How about a General Matchups, Strategies and Impressions Thread? You can set that one up. ;)

And I got your DP handled.
Ok, I'll make it a thread then. Thanks for the info.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
If anyone is familiar with memes, I think the Hydro Push should be called "Get Out". Like the get out frog.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

I made a video with all of greninjas custom moves, explaining the advantages and disadvantages. Hope it helps you guys.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
If anyone is familiar with memes, I think the Hydro Push should be called "Get Out". Like the get out frog.
I'd rather not use a meme that originated with an adult film shoot, as humorous as that meme may be.

Kith

Smash Ace
This character is going to be really interesting to use, I think. I can't wait to get the game in my hands! I really like the version of the water shuriken that pops the enemy towards you.

ArhyLis

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AstralRaptor
3DS FC
5069-4138-6092
I'd rather not use a meme that originated with an adult film shoot, as humorous as that meme may be.
Oh. O_O I'm sorry I actually did NOT know that... I take everything I said back.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
i am really excited to get in training mode and see what ways you can edgeguard with hydro pump. it looks insane.

Last edited:

Kith

Smash Ace
From the videos I saw, Hydropump gimp shenanigans might be my favorite part of Smash 4.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
From the videos I saw, Hydropump gimp shenanigans might be my favorite part of Smash 4.
The fun that will be had. This is probably the best edgeguarding available that I seen so far. I'm gonna check if mario even comes close to this.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917

I made a video with all of greninjas custom moves, explaining the advantages and disadvantages. Hope it helps you guys.
This was a great vid, although I still had a few questions. Can any of the Hydro Pump specials be used to gimp opponents? And can any of the substitute attacks be directed?

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Only the slower, farther one can be directed. The last only goes straight. I thought I shown it in the video but substitutes can be directed in any angle which makes it soooo much better than lucarios. Before I found that, I wasnt a fan.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Only the slower, farther one can be directed. The last only goes straight. I thought I shown it in the video but substitutes can be directed in any angle which makes it soooo much better than lucarios. Before I found that, I wasnt a fan.
That's what I thought, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clarifying.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
His dive kick does Meteor Smash if connected early on. Though, it's also a solid ledge defense against predictable recoverie slike Fox. Just, don't try it on tether grabbers, though. I think they have immunity frames when recovering? I passed right through some of them at least.

Spirst

His dive kick does Meteor Smash if connected early on. Though, it's also a solid ledge defense against predictable recoverie slike Fox. Just, don't try it on tether grabbers, though. I think they have immunity frames when recovering? I passed right through some of them at least.
You can always time the tether recoveries. I do that all the time with Villager's f-smash bowling ball drop against tethering Link.

TTYK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EJ_Locke
His custom movesets dont look like they will be that useful to me, even though I havent used them, the Explosive one looks like it will utterly punish you if you time it wrong, looks like we have some lag on our hands...

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
The stagnant shuriken is useful for landing in someones shield and forcing a reaction, otherwise free game. Also good for edgeguarding as it sits in place offstage. You can throw it and trump them to force them into it, then free bair or dair if possible.

I was gonna use the exploding because i thought his substitute was exactly like lucarios but once I discovered you can choose the angle, its gonna be a touch pick for that.

As for up-b, the bigger hydropump. BIgger water stream and better recovery distance. Needs more testing to compare as the default may be better for edgeguarding.

As for shadow sneak, either default or the set distance one, mainly because of the fact you can also all his aerials into it. The set distance one seems like it'll always put you out of harms way and possible combos. Gotta test that more also.

Last edited:

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Yeah, I just noticed that I can use Shadow NSeak right after I hit the ground. Perfect for mind games.

Greninja is the trickiest oppoennt I have ever met.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I am finally playing the game again. (If you want to watch me play a bit go to twitch.tv/SoCalSmash. I'll be the gray Greninja, I am not that great though).

Some cool things I was able to do. I killed Bowser at 20% from the very center of FD by Up-Bing his Down B as he was coming down.

I killed a Bowser Jr at 110% by doing a Fast Falled Up-Air into Up-Smash. This combo is definitely character % specific. On fast fallers/heavy weights its a definite kill combo, on other characters it doesn't work at higher % (they bounce too high) but you can probably combo it for more damage.

I killed a Robin at 50% from the top with an Up-B. Basically I grabbed into Up-Throw, Robin double jumped and I Up-Bed upwards and then downwards (pushing her upwards) and it killed her.

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
The more I see of the character the more I'm interested to try him out.

Greninja looks to have some nice moves for gimping.

T-skjorte Ninja

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TNinja0
3DS FC
4871-3998-6368
Greninja's Substitue, can be used for recovering too, if used creatively.
If someone tries to gimp you with projectiles or aerials, he can substitue towards the stage.

Also Substitue can move in 8 different directions, if anyone was curious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom