• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Thoughts on the 3.5 Changes

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I wanted to make a write-up of my impressions of Meta Knight in 3.5. I know the game just came out, but I feel like most of this stuff isn't subject to change of opinion as the meta develops. It's mostly facts and numbers coupled with personal opinion.

I'd like to start by saying what this write-up is and what it isn't.
  • It is a breakdown of specific changes and why I think they remove a lot of the appeal and uniqueness of 3.02 Meta Knight.
  • It isn't a judgement of the changes made in regards to balancing the character, or speculation on how good (or bad) of a character Meta Knight is now.

With that out of the way, here are the 3 points I will be making:
  1. Meta Knight is now a slower, more powerful character
  2. The removal of movement options / tricks
  3. Meta Knight has been made into a more boring character

DMG = Damage

KB = Knockback

KBG = Knockback Growth. This value determines how quickly a hitbox's KB scales with the opponents percent. Damage is also a major factor in determining scaling.

BKB = Base Knockback. This amount of KB is added to the end result of the knockback formula and is most noticeable a low percents.

WDSK = Weight Dependent Set Knockback. As the name impies, this is a type of KB that is set and does not scale with percent, and instead has a set amount that varies only based on the opponents weight. KBG in this instance is used as a multiplier, but is usually set at 100.

IASA = Interruptible As Soon As. This is a long-standing term in competitive Smash that refers to the first frame that a character can interrupt an attack, often before the full animation has completed visually. Generally this will be used to describe endlag increases and decreases.

Hitlag = The amount of freeze frames a character goes into when hit by a hitbox. This term will usually be used to describe a multiplier that increases or decreases the amount of hitlag that a hitbox would normally induce.

SDI = Smash DI, the ability for a player to move around while in Hitlag based on control stick input. This term will usually be used to describe a multiplier that increases or decreases the effectiveness of SDIing an attack.

Angle/Trajectory = This describes the angle at which an opponent is sent flying after being hit by a hitbox. 90 is straight up, while 0 is a purely horizontal trajectory.
361 angle = This angle is used throughout the game as a dynamic replacement to what would otherwise be 45, the go-to "horizontal attack" angle. This angle starts off sending further horizontally than 45 at lower KBs, but quickly scales up to 45 in-game. For all intents and purposes you can imagine the trajectory as simply being 45.

1. Meta Knight is now a slower, more powerful character
I will list the relevant changelog entries and show that certain moves have been made slower, but more powerful and that results in a more boring playstyle to me. You can view the entire Meta Knight changelog in an easy to read format here: my Meta Knight 3.5 thread.

Tilts
  • Forward Tilt
    • FTilt 1 IASA increased from 21 to 24
    • FTilt 2 IASA increased from 24 to 28
    • FTilt 3 IASA increased from 29 to 35
  • Down Tilt
    • IASA increased from 19 to 22
It is now slower to act out of Forward Tilt (not doing the full chain) and Down Tilt.

Smashes
  • Forward Smash
    • IASA increased from 40 to 46
  • Up Smash
    • BKB lowered from 62 to 40
    • KBG increased from 154 to 185
It is now slower to act out of Forward Smash. Up Smash's KNB (knockback growth) has been increased, meaning it will kill sooner. The BKB lowering means it wont send the opponent as far at lower %'s, meaning it will be easier to combo out of.

Aerials
  • Neutral Aerial
    • Middle hitbox damage increased from 8 to 9
    • Middle hitbox BKB increased from 0 to 15, KBG increased from 80 to 100
    • Sourspot base knockback increased from 0 to 10
  • Forward Aerial
    • 1st and 2nd hits KBG increased from 0 to 30
  • Up Aerial
    • Damage increased from 6 to 8, KBG compensated
  • Down Aerial
    • Divekick replaced with a Brawl-inspired Down Aerial
Neutral Aerial's middle (sweetspot) hitbox damage, BKB, and KBG have been increased. Sourspot BKB has been increased.

Forward Aerial's 1st two hits have increased KBG.

Up Aerial has increased damage.

Down Aerial has changed completely. This reduces his aerial speed in ways. I'll go into this move more in the Movement Options section. I will say that I like the new D-air a lot, but the ending lag might be a little too much.

Throws
  • Down Throw
    • Damage increased from 8 to 9
    • IASA increased from 66 to 73
Down Throw's damage is increased and it is slower to act out of.

Specials
  • Neutral B (Tornado)
    • No longer passes current frame from air to ground on landing, now goes into special fall for 30 frames
    • Aerial ending has reduced drift control and more horizontal air resistance
  • Up Special (Shuttle Loop)
    • No longer edge cancels, instead transitions into a non-driftable/interruptable flip animation
    • Glide Aerial landing lag and special fall landing lag is increased from 18 frames to 30 frames
  • -Down Special (Dimensional Cape)
    • Minimum start-up for instant Dimensional Cape slash is now 11 from 7
Tornado now has more ending lag and less drift control after ending, which makes Meta Knight slower.

Shuttle Loop has increased landing lag and special fall landing lag (slower MK). Edge cancelling is gone. I'll talk about that more in the Movement Options section.

Dimensional Cape is slower, you can't attack out of it as quickly.

All Special moves, when used in the air, now have a little bounce animation when MK hits the ground (down-B doesn't when you re-appear close to the ground), which is increased lag, slowing him down.

Others
  • Dash Attack
    • Endlag increased from 15 to 16
    • Active frames reduced from 4-20 to 4-15
Slower to act out of it (endlag increased), active frames reduced.

All of these changes make Meta Knight a slower but more powerful character. He cannot act out of his moves as quickly as he could before, and he has more landing lag. His attacks have more Knockback Growth to send opponents farther away at higher %'s which makes him kill earlier, and some of his damage values have been increased.

2. The removal of movement options / tricks
I will show that many of Meta Knight's interesting movement options and tricks have been removed. This is an especially disheartening change in a game that is focused so much on movement.

Any previously discussed move that had its IASA frames increased also counts as a nerf to MK's movement, since it takes longer to act out of those moves (to do something like jump or dash dance). I won't be discussing them in detail, since that's really all there is to say about them.

To say it again: all Special moves, when used in the air, now have a little bounce animation when MK hits the ground, which is increased lag, slowing him down considerably

So, what movement options / tricks dis MK lose?
  • Down Air
    • Meta Knight can no longer use D-air to quickly move straight or diagonally down. He can longer edge cancel it into an immediate aerial.
  • Down B (Dimensional Cape)
    • Now sends you into special fall no matter where you use it from (ground and air), though it does travel farther
    • You can no longer "Cape Bounce" which was a very fun and unexplored advanced technique
    • Sends you into freefall when the attack is edge-cancelled, which can happen accidentally and can result in an SD
  • Up B (Shuttle Loop)
    • Sliding off a ledge or platform now sends you into a somewhat lengthy tumble, you cannot immediately act out of it like before
    • The upward angle at which you can travel in glide has been reduced (you can't angle upward as much)
  • 4th jump removed
    • His other jumps go a little higher now as a bit of compensation, but this change does reduce his movement options so it is included here

3. Meta Knight has been made into a more boring character
This will function as both an introduction of a few new ideas and as a general summary of my previous points.

All the changes I listed above contribute to one central concept: they make Meta Knight as less interesting character to play as (for me at least). Gone is the dynamic down-throw tech chase game, replaced by a flow-chart at low% and a feeling of helplessness at higher% because of the increased lag after the throw. The increase of IASA frames on f-tilt means it is less effective to end it early and dash away or throw out a d-smash or grab. This removes options from MK's play and makes things more static. The added landing lag on all B moves de-incentivizes their use and may lead to a heavily A-button-based Meta Knight. The removal of MK's tricks (particularly down-B) makes him a more straightforward character. A to B to C style gameplay.

In closing, the new Meta Knight might remain high tier. He will almost certainly be very effective at doing his thing. But I will morn the loss of his flavor. He lost his more interesting mechanics / tricks in favor of increased efficiency. To some, that may seem like a positive change. But to me and (I hope) some other people it is a disappointing removal of unique and interesting characteristics.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
I 100% agree. It was obvious that he needed a nerf and was getting one, but I don't think the PMDT should have gone about it in this way.

Dimensional Cape in 3.02 is by favorite move in all of Smash, simply because of the plethora of uses and mixups it has, while still being very punishable if you aren't good enough to use it safely. But now so much of it is gone, and I really feel like if I'm going to be playing MK that I need to completely readjust my playstyle. Obviously it's possible to play MK without down-b, Plup does it extremely well. It's just that that's what makes MK fun and different, and have nearly infinite potential, and now quite a bit of that is gone. Not to mention the various other changes that I just don't quite agree with.

Shuttle Loop was inevitable, it's a hard nerf but an understandable one. Dair I guess I can get, I just feel like they could have maybe adjusted it in a bit of a different way than getting rid of it all together. But the Dimensional Cape ones just seem a little lazy to me to be completely honest, like they were made so that people didn't have to figure out how complex the move is in the right hands when encountering it for the first time.

Also, may I ask what a "cape bounce" is? I've never heard the term before for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
Gotta disagree; MK had some cheesy stuff and it needed to be trimmed off (read: DThrow and Dair). My only gripes about 3.5 MK are the loop cancel backflip, having to wait those few extra frames to IDC, DC from the ground going into special fall, and one less jump.

It's too bad you find him boring - I think 3.5 MK is really fun. LOL.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I just noticed / realized that you can't edge-cancel the down-B attack any more.

I mean... I just honestly don't get it. Was it really that over powered or over centralizing of a move? Did it need this?

sigh

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy Meta Knight, just less so. He's still my favorite character in this game, even though I find him less fun to play now. I'm going to go forward with him and explore his new stuff. But it's just so disheartening.

I used to internally make fun of the people who complained when their characters changed. This was before I settled on a main myself, mind you. I used to think, hey just adapt, get better. But I sorta get it now. It can be jarring. You have to re-learn a lot of stuff you had down pat. You have to undo your muscle memory. Not easy.

Well. Meta Knight is who he is now. Gotta accept that. Gonna move forward and figure stuff out.

I've had 11 shots. Ignore all of this.

KeithTheGeek

Smash Ace
NNID
bkeith
3DS FC
5026-4475-8239
I used to consider Meta Knight a secondary to my main D3 in 3.02, but these changes really killed the appeal of the character to me.

I was already sad about the death of Dive Kick Knight but I've gotten some experience with the brawl dair from playing Smash 4...but the cape changes completely change how I have to approach the character. I loved being able to do mind games and mixups with the cape, and it was still reasonably easy to punish him out of it once you knew the spacing and timing for it. Now it's near useless for how I used to use it and is almost strictly recovery/kill option now. This, as you said, makes the character less interesting and less engaging to use. The loss of an extra jump also sucks, because he is more committed to his options and can't do as much off-stage. Dair, while added as an edge-guard option, I feel is entirely unnecessary because he already HAS edge-guard options with his other aerials. Additionally, it removes one of our movement options.

For now, I'm considering dropping MK as a character and might focus on someone else. Meta Knight probably could've used the nerf, but the way they approached it was entirely wrong and shifted the characters focus in the wrong direction.

AlmightySo

Smash Apprentice
Now that we have this metaknight i realized how spoiled 3.02 metaknight made me. Being able to dair on stage was like a free reset and alot of characters could not combat this. Dont agree with IDC changes though.

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Were gonna talk about 3.02 MK for a long time. I'm really gonna miss him, it was a good run.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Personally, I don't mind too much the loss of one jump. He needed the recovery nerf, and the extra jump is just one more mixup that you can throw in that's just little too good. And you almost never need all 4 jumps and a special to recover anyways.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Keep in mind people, The PMDT make changes that they believe to favor the overall balance between characters. Instead of buffing characters that were previously weaker with regards to competitive playability they simply down power those who noticeably dominate the cast, which isn't a bad thing. As for 3.5 Meta-Knight, I certainly agree that he is now slower and less fun to go slip-sliding all around the stage with, but his KO potential has definitely been retained if not improved.

by the way, his DC changes were one of the first things I tried to explore to the ends. After attempting to shift his out-of-DC momentum, I found an exploit to it. Keep trying to cape bounce out of it from the air and shifting his momentum and move the control stick all around. You'll soon find some dumb momentum glitches. Nothing game-breaking but its still a mistake that some can make and it can put you in a relatively bad position if you use it near the end of a stage. (The only point of this is: LOLZ)

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
I think a cool alternative nerf to dimensional cape would be to make metanight hazily (like a wispy filter) visible during it but still keeping all the cool movement strats.

Weeezy

Smash Rookie
I agree 100% like others in this post. The changes make me very sad, mainly the one less jump and Down-b. Some were understandable like the increased lag to his specials, but Down-b is literally for one purpose now (to kill) if you hit it, but it is even riskier than before. One thing I do like though is I feel they've made changes to his up-air in the way it sends opponents that makes it so down b is supposed to be used as a finisher around 60-90% from and up-air string. Because in 3.02 I'd always end my up-air strings with an up-b if I was trying to get the kill, but now I've been trying more down-b and its working. Still sad to see all these changes now because I feel MK is boring like you said. Run around>Dash Dance>Nair...

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
@ 9bit 9bit
I disagree regarding the "slower, more powerful" part. Dash short aerials and dashdances still work well and are key to a good game. The midair mobility has decreased with the dair change though, I agree.

JABS

Smash Cadet
Eh... I take what I said back, he's definitely not slow. So, now that I've messed around with him I've found a new technique to use for his DC. I suppose I'll go and make a thread for it. (*groans* here we go with some more DC BS.) Ill keep you all posted.

Last edited:

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
I can deal with the Down Air its a neat little change but of course i want the Drill Dive back. Down Throw being changed to not being able to IDC out of almost immediately is also a change i understand. Pretty much everything else you said is spot on. Not being able to edge cancel Cape and Shuttle Loop is HUGE Not being able to act out of Cape and taking out the drift mobility out of Cape and Tornado is a huge mistake. AND LOOSING A JUMP IS SCREWING ME OVER SO MUCH!!!

wangston

Smash Lord
After playing my friends mk who didn't like him in 3.02 but played him in brawl, I feel like I'm playing against brawl meta knight that doesn't have a glide attack or shuttle loop. Basically what he would do is knock me down and use nair, f-tilt, dash attack, or grab and tech chase all day.

Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's just his play style he was using was directly from brawl, but with the changes seemed to me that MK can be played like he does in brawl now.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I strayed away from Meta Knight at first because of his status in Brawl, but I picked him up when trying out the highly reputable characters back on 3.02. Honestly, 3.5 MK has so many gray areas for me between nerfs that I understand and nerfs that seemed unreasonable. His down air was a move I enjoyed pressuring my opponents with and the back air was my main combo finisher. He feels more normalized rather than radical now. Maybe I'm just spoiled as a (3.0-onward) Sonic main.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
MK is the sole reason 3.5 makes me upset. I really started to have fun with the game when I got into metaknight, finally accepting his PM changes.

now he is boring to play with, making the game not as fun overall

SoulOfSmash

Smash Journeyman
Those calling MK boring

Are all of you high or something
Sure you still have fun with him if you like the spacing and patient Brawl-like playstyle. But 3.0 MK changed that he could be aggressive, fast, and had a great tech chase game pretty much the exact opposite of the slow Brawl style. Me personally I do find this boring compared to his old style.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Sure you still have fun with him if you like the spacing and patient Brawl-like playstyle. But 3.0 MK changed that he could be aggressive, fast, and had a great tech chase game pretty much the exact opposite of the slow Brawl style. Me personally I do find this boring compared to his old style.
I still play this way old fun way
Dthrow
Recovery
Dair
And the grab got all these people salt

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I still play this way old fun way
Dthrow
Recovery
Dair
And the grab got all these people salt
Dthrow still good for positioning and low-percent follow-ups. Less free.

Was Bthrow changed? I didn't play too much 3.02 but I do love Bthrow for shucking people offstage. I tend to thus even go for pivot grabs when people are close to edge and in front of me.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I think the only throw that was changed was the dthrow

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I can try it tonight at this fest im speeding to, and get back to you about that.
What can I do after I hit the dair?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
FH aerial depending on DI, MK falls fast enough to L-Cancel and has enough coverage to get a confirm.

3-hit combo of Uthrow -> Dair -> FH aerial could be a good opener in lieu of the lost tech-chasing. And probably better than Dthrow -> FTilt.

I'd test myself but limited access to Wii :(

Kappy

Smash Ace
NNID
SwagTrain
3DS FC
2964-9085-1107
If you're feeling bold and risky, DThrow (preferably at 0%) -> DSmash -> Tech Chase Regrab -> DThrow/FThrow/BThrow -> DACUS is actually hella fun to pull off when it can be and sets up really nicely into Uair/Dair stuff. LOL

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
God the changes to f-tilt are rough.

MK no longer has a jab move.

Edit: only 3 frames lol, how does that make it feel so much slower?

Last edited:

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
The new dair is a good edgeguarding tool, often makes up for having the jump less. With the nerfed up-b, jumping->air dodge is also more of a replacement tool.

@ 9bit 9bit
I agree, the f-tilt change annoys me most, together with increased landing lag with shuttle loop and every nerf around grab and throws. All the other stuff is just being a bit more precise, and reevaluating approaches etc, and you handle it

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Man, this F-Tilt change is making me salty. (Not really though). Overall I'm actually having fun adjusting to this changes, first update for me.

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I was checking out F-tilt in debug and I think either F-tilt to D-smash is frame perfect (at higher %'s) or a few frames short of being a true link. Will do some more testing.

Fox jab to up-smash doe

Top Bottom