• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Smash Corner Presents: Wavebounce & B-Reverse Tutorial

PK_Knee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gamernerd123
My Smash Corner has been covered many times on Smashboards for its excellent video tutorials related to Smash 4. This video covers how to Wavebouce and B-Reverse with varying control schemes and discusses the applications of both techniques.

If you want to see more excellent videos from My Smash Corner be sure to check out their videos such as such as Diddy Kong Tricks, Dealing With Projectiles, Luigi Downthrow Combos, and Pikachu's Infinite Combo. Hopefully this will help players implement these important and useful bits of tech into their game.

SmashCapps is always looking for videos to help teach players techniques. Follow him on Twitter to suggest videos and discuss anything else Smash related.

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
perfect pivot :happysheep:

all smash games are the same speed technically. but falling speed and attack speed is always different.
Including technically in a sentence doesn't make it any more credible. Please explain to me how Melee and Brawl are technically the same speed.

Gutei

Smash Cadet
Anyway, I appreciate these videos since they can be helpful to newer competitive players like myself but the techniques seem like they are very situational :/. I'm all for learning nifty tricks but in the heat of a match will these even be helpful?
I know they're quite useful for those of us who play Yoshi. I don't think I necessarily depend on them, but sometimes I use the B-reverse to fake out as Link with the boomerang.

Zelbur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zelbur
Every-time he uploads a video, he releases a gem of Smash Bros. to the public.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I dunno, much like most fake-out tricks, just knowing how to do it and utilizing it well is a lot easier said than done... also, while it's true this can apply to any controller, some are easier to do this on than others.

I use one of those third-party Classic Controllers shaped like a GCN one, mario themed, because I lack an adapter. unfortunately, compared to the genuine item, the control stick's slightly larger, so it's tougher to do rapid movements like dash dancing consistently.

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Wait.... with the B-Reversing... does that mean we can perform....

360 Falcon/Warlock Punches? :troll:
I have been pondering this all my life.

Last edited:

Maple42

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, I appreciate these videos since they can be helpful to newer competitive players like myself but the techniques seem like they are very situational :/. I'm all for learning nifty tricks but in the heat of a match will these even be helpful?
I don't mean to be rude, but B-Reversing is pretty standard; it comes up in any situation in which you want to use a special move and you're not facing your opponent.....

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I don't mean to be rude, but B-Reversing is pretty standard; it comes up in any situation in which you want to use a special move and you're not facing your opponent.....
I stated i was newer than most. Most of my play time is against For Glory people (yeah not alot of B-reversing here which would be why i asked :/.). And not be rude but yeah that is the obvious use for it.

I meant both Wavebouncing (or whatever it is called.) and B-reversing together. If my Mewtwo is getting pummelled to death by a Cap. Falcon (as a example) will these techniques be helpful in that scenario or would i be wasting my time trying to learn it? That is my question. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

ssbMars

Fox only 420XX Blaze it
Including technically in a sentence doesn't make it any more credible. Please explain to me how Melee and Brawl are technically the same speed.
But he really does mean it in a technical sense. Most characters run at the same speed relative to map size. Grounded attacks have the same startup/end frames unless they were nerfed or buffed. Projectiles fly at the same speed. That makes the game technically the same speed. That doesn't mean it's as fast in practicality. It's the other factors that aren't directly related to "speed" that make the game seem so slow, like the slide time after a dash, autocancelling, no wavedashing, less combos, and other stuff I may have missed.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
I'm sort of confused, I understand and have been using (since brawl actually) everything he said, except wavebouncing. Why or when should someone use that? Sounds like a simple double-fake-out, but I'm sure there's more ii it than that, so plz correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I stated i was newer than most. Most of my play time is against For Glory people (yeah not alot of B-reversing here which would be why i asked :/.). And not be rude but yeah that is the obvious use for it.

I meant both Wavebouncing (or whatever it is called.) and B-reversing together. If my Mewtwo is getting pummelled to death by a Cap. Falcon (as a example) will these techniques be helpful in that scenario or would i be wasting my time trying to learn it? That is my question. Sorry for the confusion.
It can be. in essence it gives you a mixup option that your opponent might not see coming and therefore will throw out an attack that whiffs or connects in such a way that they cant follow up any further. Its not just for getting away from people though. it can be used offensively and defensively. It kinda depends on your characters moveset and your opponents character. The uses may not seem obvious to you now because you somewhat new to the game, which is fine, but if you practice it you'll understand how to use it better to your advantage.
I think one of the easier offensive ways to use it is if you are close to your opponent and then run away from them, short hop and b reverse one of you moves, which will put you at a spacing right back towards them that they wouldnt normally expect (especially if youre playing against a more casual smash player on for glory who doesnt even know this tech exists).

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
It can be. in essence it gives you a mixup option that your opponent might not see coming and therefore will throw out an attack that whiffs or connects in such a way that they cant follow up any further. Its not just for getting away from people though. it can be used offensively and defensively. It kinda depends on your characters moveset and your opponents character. The uses may not seem obvious to you now because you somewhat new to the game, which is fine, but if you practice it you'll understand how to use it better to your advantage.
I think one of the easier offensive ways to use it is if you are close to your opponent and then run away from them, short hop and b reverse one of you moves, which will put you at a spacing right back towards them that they wouldnt normally expect (especially if youre playing against a more casual smash player on for glory who doesnt even know this tech exists).
I've played since melee but never "competitive" style. I'm not a bad player but im not sure id win many tournaments. Maybe learning some techs will improve my game, even just a little. I appreciate it :).

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I've played since melee but never "competitive" style. I'm not a bad player but im not sure id win many tournaments. Maybe learning some techs will improve my game, even just a little. I appreciate it :).
word. well if you dont win a tournaments (it sounds like you havent gone to one yet) then dont be disappointed because it takes time. i dont think anyone does well their first tournament.
Techs will definitely help you but the most important skill is just having experience with playing competitively. There are situations that youll know how to handle better and better as you find yourself in them. At first its easy to get flustered but over time the experience will catch up and override anything that might put you in a worse position.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
i should just share my secrets now but I won't

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
Pretty much one of my favorite AT to use in this game.

Seriously, it looks really cool when you do it and it's so satisfying to land a b-reversed move to the AT's fullest utilization.

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Haven't actually used this yet (even though I do it accidentally at times). It seems rather useful

JustSomeScrub

Smash Journeyman
"OMG how does Smash corner keep coming up with this amazing tech!?"

A: They didn't. This has been around since Brawl, very commonly used and is also in PM as a result. And no, it is not in Melee. Wavebounce and B-reverses are not the same as static turn around Bs, the former actually shifts your aerial momentum to the opposite direction which is great as a landing mixup.

Seriously people, start giving credit where credit is due. Nice video but viewers need to stop spouting ignorant nonsense about this being original Smash 4 tech.

Last edited:

Ludus_Machinae

Smash Cadet
NNID
epicbro369
3DS FC
4038-6245-6823
I tried and can confirm that a 360 warlock punch is both possible and badass.
excellent I shall get on testing the 360 falcon punch although I do not main c-falcon therefore will take a bit more testing before I can confirm if it is badass

Top Bottom