• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My Roster theory, determining characters based on the E3 demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
This theory involves figuring out what characters we could expect based on the order characters appeared in the E3 demo.

Its based on the assumption that Characters will always remain in the same order just like they did in Brawl.

Also, it is also done in partial of the belief that RPG characters will be grouped together just like they were in Brawl, however this isn't only my input and can be ignored if you choose to.

Other beleifs of mine is that the 3DS roster shall scroll, slots won't go so small that the current puck sizes won't fit 4 on a single slot. This would mean the Wii U roster will have 4 rows and the 3DS roster would likele scroll down since other wise it should have the same layout.

Now first, look at the rosters

Now, my personal belief is that the roster will have 54 slots counting random, this gives us a 6 x 9 roster on the 3DS and a 4 x 13 on Wii U (with the two middle rows having 14 characters)

Lets start with the Wii U top row.

Its a safe assumption to think that Wario and Yoshi will be on this row with the other Mario characters and the same goes for Peach and Luigi, and that DK and Diddy will shortly follow, this gives us 9 characters already, now whats interesting is that after that, we have Samus before Link, the Zelda series would not fit on this row and have always started another row so we can push them off and add both Samus' to this row, giving us 11. that leaves two characters who could fit here. Potential characters include Captain Falcon, Ridley, K Rool, Dixie, Baby duo, Mona, Jimmy T, Paper Mario, Toad, Bowser Jr or any other single/dual rep series perhaps, but I believe it will be Ridley and King K Rool.

Second row has two possible outcomes.

First outcome: Zelda 5, Villager, Kid Icarus duo, Kirby 3 and Star Fox 3, 5 + 1 + 2 + 3 + 3 = 14 (perhaps remove a Star Fox character for someone else if you think one will be cut)

or (and then one I believe)

Star Fox is shoved aside to the next row and we get 3 additional characters, potential characters include Chorus Men (To go under Wario), Ghirahim or another Zelda newcomer, Dark Pit or another Kid Icarus newcomer, Bandana Dee or another Kirby newcomer or just some other franchise. I believe this one more as Kirby has always been somewhere note worthy on the roster but that wouldn't be the case if Star Fox finishes the row. (Before someone asks, Kirby was near the middle in 64, exactly in the middle in Melee, started the column that was in the middle in Brawl and would finish of a middle row if this was the case), I beleive the characters are Ghirahim, Chorus Men and Dark Pit or Kirby newcomer

Third Row: As I said, I believe all rpg characters will be grouped together on this row, and like with the second there are two possible scenarios.

Star Fox trio is on the second row leaving this row for rpgs only, 14 different rpg characters and we have 8 confirmed at the moment. However I should note, Pokemon will DEFINIETLY be on this row, Notice how Greninja comes before Pikachu? This means Pokemon will be going in the reverse dirrection and have Pikachu finish the row.

but if the star fox characters are on this row? Its a fight between Lucas, Wolf/Falco, Shulk and a sixth Pokemon for a spot.

for 14 characters on this row, we can safely assume the Fox, Falco/Wolf, Marth, Lucina, Ike, Robin, Ness, Greninja, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Lucario and Pikachu will be here. that gives us 12. I think that sadly Lucas will be cut with Wolf back and Shulk as a newcomer (And 5 pokemon only). But thats simply my decsion.

4th and final row is interesting, we know that any character who appear after Pikachu will be on this row. And thats Olimar, Little Mac, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man and Sonic will be here. I think we can safely assume that Mr Game & Watch and Pac-Man will be here giving us 8 if you count Random. After that just fill in with your own choices. I think Capt. Falcon, R.O.B., Ice Climbers and Mii Fighters will be here giving us 12, leaving what I believe is a retro/console character (I'm hoping for Parabo & Satebo myself) Also, its very possible that Mii Fighters will be selected in a different way to other characters and could share a spot with random.

Now 3DS.
As stated I think it shall scroll, and I think it will scroll down, I'll do this for other scenarios later but I'll just try this wayfor now.

Top Row is happily obvious, its either 6 mario characters or 5 Mario characters and Yoshi, I think its Yoshi.

Second Row, other Mario related characters, Dk, Diddy, Wario at least along with K Rool for me, the other two spots I think might be Chorus Men because of Wario and perhaps R.O.B. because Mario Kart DS or Game & Watch for similarities to Chrous Men, I have G&W on my current roster but I think I'll have R.O.B. here for now.

Then Zelda, As I said, I think Ghirahim might be playable, but he could be anyone. Some have noted it appears to go from oldest franchis to youngest with a couple of exceptions so maybe we can get Ice Climbers here? But I have Ghirahim.

forth row start with Samus and then Pit, I think 3 Metroid character and 3 Kid Icarus characters, but Ice Climbers could go here as well.

Then we have Fire Emble and if we keep some Rpg characters together, its Fire Emblem, Ness and someone else, but if you think Lucas and Shulk or someone else is playable, then Shulk would work well instead of Ghirahim with Zelda and another Rpg character nearby. But I think it will just be Ness and Shulk. Or completely different since they might avoid this to have characters in chronological order.

6th Row is Kirby, with Meta Knight and Dedede, Little Mac will be on this row, If you think a Star Fox character could be cut then they could fit here as well. But I'm going to have Mr Game & Watch and Ice Climbers as Little Mac is semi retro. But you could swap Mr Game & Watch and R.O.B. around.

7th with Fox, Falco and Wolf. Capt. Falon works well here as both have space ships and debut on the SNES, my own retro character works well here because it was also from the SNES and Olimar works well with Captain Falcon for both being Captains.

8th and 9th......
Now I know many of you fanboys Mewtwo fans want six pokemon, but there only 3 ways that will work following this theory, and since I'm nice I'm going to list them for you.
1. Mii Fighters share a spot with Random
2. Mii Fighters have a random spot before the pokemon row
3. Wolf or Falco is cut and are on the same row as Kirby giving Pokemon the 7th row.
4. 3DS Roster doesn't have this format

Saying that, I don't think any of those will happer except for maybe 1., but if that happen I would move G&W here and have someone else

Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Lucario Jigglypuff, Villager
Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Mega Man, Sonic, Random

(If someone could do a roster mock-up of this, I would appreciate)

As a recap, following this theory along with my own predictions, I get
Wii U
:Mari::Luig: Peac::Bows::Rosa::Yosh::Wari::DK::Didd::Kroo::Samu::Zero::Ridl: 13
:Link::Zeld::Shei::Gano::Toon::Ghir::Chor::Vill::DPit: Palu: Pit.::Dede::Meta::Kirb: 14
:Fox::Falc::Wolf::Mart::Ike.::Robi::Luci::Ness::Shul::Jigg::Luca::Gren::Char: Pika: 14
:MiiF::Olim::CFal::LMac::IceC::WFT:: P&S::ROB::G&W:: Pac::Mega::Soni::Rand: 13

3DS
:Mari::Luig:: Peac::Bows::Rosa::Yosh:
:DK::Didd::Kroo::Wari::Chor::ROB:
:Link::Zeld::Shei::Gano::Tink::Ghir:
:Samu::Zero::Ridl:: Pit:: Palu::DPit:
:Mart::Ike::Robi::Luci::Ness::Shul:
:Kirb::Meta::Dede::G&W::IceC::Lmac:
:Fox::Falc::Wolf::CFal::Olim:: P&S:
: Pika::Char::Gren::Luca::Jigg::Vill:
:MiiF::WFT:: Nac::Mega::Soni::Rand::

If this theory is correct, What Roster do you come out with? And just to note theory is simply this statement

"The order the characters were in for the demo will remain the same in the final vesion" Just like it was for Brawl.

Discuss

Last edited:

TerminalMontage

Smash Ace
NNID
TerminalMontage
Interesting. But your predicted characters are so similar to the rosters most everyone else here are thinking up for different reasons.

I'm not against it, I want K. Rool and Ridley to be included, but I'm hoping everyone is wrong and Sakurai surprises us all in some way.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thank you for stepping in, now any on topic notes?

Maybe you guys could make your own roster using the theory?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
What 8-bit man said

Except replace parabo & satebo with mewtwo there you go.

(The sakurai interview about lucina and robin he stated in his way that he does not care for the number of reps per franchise.)

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I'm not sure why you have Kirby reps in a different order for Wii U and 3DS version. Pretty sure Kirby would come first on both ones. Otherwise this makes decent sense. Not bad.

I'm not sure why you have Kirby reps in a different order for Wii U and 3DS version. Pretty sure Kirby would come first on both ones. Otherwise this makes decent sense. Not bad.
Ostensibly it's so the series' stars will bookend their rows, kind of like how the Zelda characters are reversed on Melee's CSS.

The demo had Greninja listed before Pikachu and the only way I can think for that to make sense is if Pikachu is on the far-right of his row, and the whole Pokemon series is listed in reverse.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Comments for the Wii U prediction:

The problem with the theory of series reps being at the right end of the row (in this case, Kirby and Pikachu) is that Samus is to the left of Zero Suit Samus. Can't say I know why Pikachu is to the right of Greninja, but it's an inconsistency worth noting. Ridley is not the series rep for Metroid, that's for sure.

Villager's placement also seems very random. Disregarding whoever else might be near him, he's a solo rep dropped in the middle while all the other solo reps are at the bottom. This is just the way it is in the demo roster and isn't exactly a problem with the prediction, but I do wonder if it means things will end up looking very different than expected.

3DS version seems more difficult to predict in general, so I'll just leave that one out.

And has anyone tried analyzing the background picture at all? Make a guess as to how big it should be, or something? It does look like it's supposed to form something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom