• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MY DLC IS ONLY THE BEGINNING: Pious Augustus for Smash 4!

Shall Pious Augustus plunge the World of Trophies in an Eternal Darkness?

• Total voters

BlueSorrow

Smash Apprentice
Just a re-creation of the previous thread since it was locked if you don't mind @ leprechaunlink727 leprechaunlink727 .
leprechaunlink727: "PIOUS AUGUSTUS FOR SMASH 4!

If you bothered to actually click on this thread, there's a pretty decent chance that you have no idea who Pious Augustus is. Allow me to enlighten you! Pious Augustus is 1 of 12 playable characters in the Gamecube Horror Classic Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. He also happens to be the main antagonist.

Pious Augustus is a Roman Centurion in 26 BC who stumbles upon an ancient Eldritch artifact in some Persian Ruins one day. Depending on the selection the player makes during Pious' chapter of the game, the artifact corresponds to one of three nefarious Ancient Gods who used to lord over the primordial Earth before being banished to an alternate plane of existence: Ulyaoth, God of Magick, Chattur'gha, God of Matter, and Xel'lotath, God of Madness. There's also a fourth "neutral" Ancient: Mantorok, God of Chaos still living in a temple in Cambodia, who was responsible for the banishment of the other three. Upon touching the artifact, Pious Augustus is corrupted, becoming wholly devoted to his chosen God and transforming into an undead warlock, or Liche. With his newfound immortality and mastery of the dark arts, Pious Augustus begins the process of resurrecting his chosen Ancient into the earthly plane. To do this, Pious Augustus becomes the architect of a 2000 year globe-spanning conspiracy to perform the necessary dark rites and bind the powers of the rival Ancients so that the resurrected Ancient can rule over the Earth by itself, plunging the world into... Eternal Darkness.

LOL Idiot, there's no chance for this character. We're more likely to see Geno!
Well... yeah. Eternal Darkness will be lucky if it gets an assist trophy in Smash 4, let alone a character. The game, despite being a critically beloved cult classic and offering a unique Nintendo spin on Survival Horror, initially sold very poorly, and was developed by a studio: Silicon Knights, that broke ties with Nintendo shortly after release and then went on to never make a good game again before getting sued by Epic and declaring bankruptcy. Nintendo still owns this marvelous IP, but has basically not acknowledged that at all since it was released except to renew the trademark every couple of years. In addition to Nintendo essentially forgetting the game exists, Eternal Darkness was an at times highly disturbing, graphically violent M-Rated Survival Horror game, and most of its characters would clash dramatically with the colorful, child-friendly Smash cast to an even more dramatic extent than our pal Solid Snake, Pious Augustus clashing most of all. What I'm saying is that this thread is for fun. In no way am I expecting him to turn up, or even expecting for this franchise to be acknowledged in any way. But I can dream.

I thought some blonde chick was the main character of Eternal Darkness...
When people suggest an Eternal Darkness rep, they pretty much exlusively go for Alexandra Roivas, as she is the central protagonist and it tends to be the case that when a franchise receives its first Smash representative, the main protagonist gets dibs. However, in this beautiful alternate reality where Eternal Darkness characters get considered by Sakurai, I think Eternal Darkness would be a special case, for a couple of reasons.

First of all, Eternal Darkness has 12 playable characters, and out of all of them, Alex is far and away the least interesting. In Eternal Darkness you get to play as a Roman Centurion, a Cambodian slave girl, a courier for King Charlemagne who is slowly turning into a Zombie throughout his chapter, a Persian swordsman, an insane physician with a powdered wig living in a mansion in colonial Rhode Island, a guy who's essentially Indiana Jones, a Franciscan Monk accused of murder, an architect from Renaissance Venice, a field reporter during WWI, a Psychologist studying the occult who has to find and kill an invisible vampire in his home, a badass Gulf War fire fighter, and... Alex, a largely generic college student who kinda looks like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It seems a waste to send Alex as this wildly creative game's representative when she essentially has the least to offer, especially in terms of character design. Pious Augustus on the other hand, has a *****in character design. He's a deranged zombie priest dressed in blackened centurion armor! What's cooler than that? And he's voiced by Richard McGonagle!

Secondly, Eternal Darkness is a horror game, and the protagonists of horror stories are rarely the focus. Rather, it's all about the monster! Jason Vorhees, Freddie Krueger, Michael Myers, Scream, Alien, Frankenstein, Dracula, Pyramid Head, the many bioweapons of Resident Evil... these are the most iconic characters of their respective movies, stories, and games, and not one of them is the protagonist. The monsters in Eternal Darkness are the Ancients, the Lovecraft inspired, all-powerful ancient Gods from another dimension. Think Cthulhu or Nyarlthotep but with a rock-paper-scissors triangle of "elemental" affinities: magick, matter, and madness. And Pious Augustus is their envoy on Earth, their chosen one. He's a much better representation of what the game is about than Alex, and would be a much more intriguing ambassador of Eternal Darkness for Smash fans who aren't familiar with the game.

Finally, Pious is the best possible character for representing Eternal Darkness' extremely unique combat system in a Smash moveset. Combat in Eternal Darkness generally consists of the use of a primary Melee Weapon, a secondary projectile weapon, and a whole mess of magic(k) spells, with some variation between playable characters. It's these magick spells that are the most interesting part, as they are cast by combining various Eldritch runes to form sentences (although you can designate buttons for quick access to your favorites). These sentences consist of three basic parts: the ancient whose alignment you want to want to cast the spell under (magick, matter, madness, chaos), the kind of spell you'd like to cast (protect, summon, absorb, dispel, project), and what the target of the spell is (item, area, creature, self). For example, the spell for "Enchant Item" is this:

ANTORBOK (Project) MAGORMOR (Item) XEL'LOTATH (Madness)

So this spell would allow you to magic(k)ally imbue your weapon with the power of madness, making your foes turn on each other when you strike them. These runes can be combined in all manner of ways, with an additional rune, "Pargon", increasing the power of the spell for each time its added to the end of the "sentence", up to four total. These spells let you do everything from launching magic(k)al fireballs, to summoning zombies, to healing, to creating forcefields, and while every playable character has access to them after finding "The Tome of Eternal Darkness", Pious Augustus is the most experienced master of this arcane art. Thus, casting "magick" would be the central gimmick of Pious Augustus' moveset. Whenever I see an Alex Roivas moveset, it generally centers around the use of her shotgun and Roman "Gladius" shortsword, with little attention paid to the unique spell system that serves as one of the central mechanics of her game. While Pious Augustus lacks a shotgun (which Sakurai would never put in Smashbros anyways), the Gladius Alex uses is actually his from his time as a centurion, and he is twice the magician she is, able to cast spells two orders of magnitude more powerful than the player when fought as the final boss.

Alright, that actually sounds pretty cool... You've got my attention. But how would he play?
I have some really cool ideas for his moveset, but its late and I've got to write a paper, so I'll come back to add the specifics later, but here's a taste for now.

Pious' playstyle would primarily revolve around evading attack and creating space with the Gladius and casting spells one rune at a time. Each of his specials would cast a rune corresponding to one of four ancients, spell types, or targets, depending on which runes you've already cast, allowing you to build spells one rune at a time. Pious casts each rune fairly quickly, standing in place just long enough to shout out its name, and each rune appears above his portrait at the bottom of the screen after it is cast, similarly to Dragoon Pieces. Once all three runes have been announced, Pious can either press b to cast the spell immediately, or charge the spell by holding B with up to four "Pargons", but this leaves him highly vulnerable to attack, as he stays in place while the runes form a circle around him one at a time. If Pious gets hit before completing a spell, all the runes disappear and he has to start the spell over, though if a spell is mid-cast and is interrupted by an attack, it will cast at whatever power level it had at that point. Pious would be all about risk and reward, as more powerful spells would be his best kill moves, while low powered spells would be fairly wimpy. I think a moveset like this would make him one of the most unique characters in any fighting game, although a decent approximation of how he plays would be Phoenix Wright in UMvC3. Pious would be one of the characters with the highest learning curve, as you would need to learn which rune each of his specials corresponds to at each point in the spell, and what every combination does. However, mastering Pious' spells would allow you to have a massive amount of options at your disposal, as he would have 16 spells with four different elemental variants each, plus a decent-hitting disjointed hitbox for his A moves so that he's not always having to run away.

WHOAAA... Pious Augustus for Smash 4!
I know, right?

Anyways, here's a roster icon I made:

Please discuss any and all things related to Pious Augustus or Eternal Darkness, suggest movesets, a stage, alternate colors and costumes, or just talk about this awesome character and the awesome game he comes from.

SUPPORTERS:
leprechaunlink727, Cobalsh, 8-peacock-8, Sabrewulf238, Sobreviviente, Zzuxon"

"No! He doesn't fit with other Nintendo characters!"
I feel Eternal Darkness needs more love.

How does a plumber, a monkey, an electric rat, a neck-slitting mercenary, a blue hedgehog, a racer, a medieval prince, a crossdressing princess, a Doctor, and a 2D sprite fit in this game again?

This game is not meant to worry about "fitting in". The fun of this game is taking characters and elements from completely different universes and clashing them together in a fighting game.
Too bad the chance is practically zero unless Nintendo have Eternal Darkness 2 waiting in the wings. Which I doubt somehow....
Well the 2013 Trademark renewal covers DLC so they might have plans for the IP.
They could tone down his look for an E 10 rating and give him an E10 eternal Darkness stage.
DLC isn't rated by the ESRB. So if it's Pious inclusion that could raise the age rating then him as DLC is the loophole so they can keep the rating.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I would love for this to happen. I really would.

Pious is the standout Eternal Darkness character to me (along with the eldritch gods) and he'd really bring something new to Smash bros.

Is Pious capable of summoning the undead? I thought he could for some reason but you never mentioned it in his playstyle so now I'm doubting myself.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Thanks for reposting this! I think he's got about a 0% chance of appearing as DLC for Smash 4, but we can start drumming up enthusiasm for an appearance in Smash 5.

From what I understand, Nintendo has about 2 and a half years to use the Eternal Darkness trademark or they'll lose it. This could just mean it'll be released as a virtual console game once they start doing GameCube games, but I personally think it's deserving of an HD rerelease for Wii U. It's a great match for the gamepad, and some updated models and textures would go a long way. It would also be a good way to gage interest in a sequel.

I really don't think this game ever got it a fair chance, Nintendo's had a lot of flops, but none that are nearly as well made or innovative. It was ahead of its time and very infuential on the survival horror genre, which is experiencing a bit of a rennaissance. Without Eternal Darkness, there would be Amnesia! I think we would have already seen a sequel had Silicon Knights not been so horribly mismanaged, and if the series makes a return, I think Nintendo ought to take the reins. I get the sense from SK's other games that Nintendo was mostly responsible for what was great about ED's gameplay anyways. Eternal Darkness HD with streamlined spellcasting and item use, plus new sanity effects, that would be a dream come true, and get this fantastic game back into the public eye so that some Smash representation is more likely.

I actually did put together a moveset shortly after starting the original thread, I just never posted it. I can look for where I saved it and post it here when I get a chance. And @ Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 yes, he can certainly summon the undead, which figires into the moveset I'll post later.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Thanks for reposting this! I think he's got about a 0% chance of appearing as DLC for Smash 4, but we can start drumming up enthusiasm for an appearance in Smash 5.

From what I understand, Nintendo has about 2 and a half years to use the Eternal Darkness trademark or they'll lose it. This could just mean it'll be released as a virtual console game once they start doing GameCube games, but I personally think it's deserving of an HD rerelease for Wii U. It's a great match for the gamepad, and some updated models and textures would go a long way. It would also be a good way to gage interest in a sequel.

I really don't think this game ever got it a fair chance, Nintendo's had a lot of flops, but none that are nearly as well made or innovative. It was ahead of its time and very infuential on the survival horror genre, which is experiencing a bit of a rennaissance. Without Eternal Darkness, there would be Amnesia! I think we would have already seen a sequel had Silicon Knights not been so horribly mismanaged, and if the series makes a return, I think Nintendo ought to take the reins. I get the sense from SK's other games that Nintendo was mostly responsible for what was great about ED's gameplay anyways. Eternal Darkness HD with streamlined spellcasting and item use, plus new sanity effects, that would be a dream come true, and get this fantastic game back into the public eye so that some Smash representation is more likely.

I actually did put together a moveset shortly after starting the original thread, I just never posted it. I can look for where I saved it and post it here when I get a chance. And @ Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 yes, he can certainly summon the undead, which figires into the moveset I'll post later.
On the contrary I think they if they have Pious be DLC for smash bros Wii U/ 3DS they could still keep the trademark. So why don't we use this to our advantage and coax Nintnendo into giving us Pious as DLC. Plus if they secretly are doing something Eternal Darkness related, why not promote it with Pious. I've got a moveset for you guys
To go with the E 10 rating Pious would need to get his bone staff ( and look) toned down to E 10 quality. ( At least no more violent than Andross' brain) He would be a slow powerful character that fights mainly with his staff.

Animations
Entrance: steps out of portal holding his staff with one hand.
Idle standard: stands holding his staff in both hands (alt. stands holding his staff in one hand).
Idle waiting 1: holds staff in one hand and taps it on the ground a few seconds before returning to standing animation. ( alt. taps holds staff in both hands for a little bit before returning to standing animation).
Idle waiting 2: looks around holding staff in both hands (alt. looks around holding staff in one hand).
crouching: kneels down on one knee holding staff with both hands .
(alt. kneels down on one knee holding staff in one hand).
walking: walks forward holding staff in both hands.
running: runs forward holding staff in both hands.
stopping: slides forward holding staff in one hand.
turn around: plats staff in ground and holding it with one hand swings around to run the other direction.
jump: jumps holding staff in one hand (alt. jumps holding staff in both hands).
double jump: does a front flip holding staff in both hands (alt. does a front flip holding staff in one hand).
back jump: jumps and twists holding staff in both hands (alt. jumps and twists holding staff in one hand).
back double jump: does a back flip holding staff in both hands (alt. does a back flip holding staff in one hand).
falling: holds staff in one hand while looking down.
landing: crouches on impact, then gets up and quickly swings his staff out with one hand and returns to standing
animation.
Hit by opponent: opens mouth and hunches forward holding staff in one hand.
Sent flying by opponent: tumbles forward.
Landing after hit back first: lays down holding staff on his chest with both hands.
(alt. lays down holding staff in one hand off to the side)
Getting up after landing back first: uses his staff for support as he sits up.
Landing after hit face first: lies on the ground with his staff outstretched in one hand.
Getting up after landing face first: uses his staff for support as he stands up.
Footstool: crouches than goes to jump animation
Footstooled by opponent on ground: bends down forward holding staff with both hands
(alt. bends down forward holding staff with one hand)
Footstooled by opponent in air: stretches out arms, holding staff in one hand and tumbles sideways
Hit by bumper: same as hit by opponent
Buried: holds staff out with one hand, with his mouth wide open
Stunned by laser: outstretches arms holding staff in one hand, twitching with mouth open
Dazed: holds head with hand, staff with the other staggering back and forth.
recovery from daze: shakes head and resumes standing animation.
shield: plants staff in ground and holds it with both hands while looking down.
side shield: plants staff in with one hand and quickly swings to the other side of it.
down shield: taps staff on ground with one hand and steps back.
air shield: leans back with outstretched arms holding staff in one hand.
ledge shield: climbs with his staff and swings around on his staff with one hand to safety.
grab: holds staff in one hand and reaches out to grab with the other.
grabbing opponent idle: holds opponent with one hand at the chest and looks at them menacingly with his other hand
holding staff.
grab release: leans back and lets go of the opponent.
grabbed by opponent: struggles while holding staff in one hand.
released from opponents grab: twirls around holding staff with one hand.
Star KO: same as launched by opponent.
Screen KO: Hits screen with arms outstretched, mouth open, and holding staff in one hand.

A moves
a: with one hand holding staff swings staff forward
aa: with one hand holding staff swings staff forward then swings back
optional (aaa: with one hand holding staff swings staff forward then swings forward from the other side then swings up)
side a: thrusts staff out with one hand
down a: whacks staff down on the ground holding it with both hands
(alt. whacks staff down on the ground holding it with one hand)
up a: swings staff upward with one hand
dash: outstretches staff in front of him and charges
ledge: climbs up and plants staff down in front of him.

Smash attacks
Side smash: charges up magic from his hand then swings it forward. If it connects with an opponent the magic does a small explosion.
Down smash: holds staff above his head with both hands then smashes it into the ground, magic affects appear from
the bottom of the staff when it makes contact with the ground.
Up smash: holds staff back with both hands then swings it forward above his head, down to the ground.

Air attacks
Neutral air: swings staff around with one hand.
Forward air: smashes staff forward with one hand.
Back air: swings staff behind him with one hand.
Up air: thrusts staff above his head with one hand.
Down air: grabs staff with both hands then plummets to the ground, can spike and bounce off opponents.

Grabs
Neutral: whacks opponent on the head with staff.
Forward throw: whacks opponent forward with staff.
Back throw: throws opponent behind him and outstretches staff behind him
Down throw: throws them on the ground then smashes his staff down on them.
Up throw: throws opponent up and jumps to hit them with the top of his staff.

Special moves

Standard: charges up magic in his hand then shoots it downward in the form of a beam with the tip of the beam doing the most damage and knock back and creating a little pillar of magic. Can also fire it without charging,but will do less damage and have less range
Custom 1: charges faster, but does less damage
Custom 2: charges slower, but does more damage
Side special: Is surrounded in magic and travels forward, with staff outstretched in one hand, dealing some damage along the way and if he connects with an opponent at the end swings upward for more damage. ( looks similar to flame choke).
Custom 1: goes further and is faster ,but does no damage.
Custom 2: goes less distance, but deals more damage.
Up special: outstretches his arms,holding staff in one hand, as magic charges around him, then shoots upward while spinning. ( similar like Fire Fox).
Custom 1: has no charge time and goes higher,but does no damage.
Custom 2: deals more damage, but doesn't go as far.
Down special: Counters the opponent and laughs, glowing orbs surround him in the beginning phase.
Custom 1: faster counter, deals less damage.
Custom 2: slower counter, deals more damage.

Final Smash: creates a portal and if an opponent gets sucked in they are transported to Ulyaoth, Chattur'gha, and Xel'lotath who deal damage to fighter and then a knock back blow.

Taunts
Up: outstretches arms and glows with magic
Side: spits and says I spit on thee.
down: swings staff around with one hand then plats it in the ground.

Victory Poses
1: Says the Darkness shall be eternal
2: Says fear the wrath.
3: Says you shall succumb to the horrors.

Pious for DLC.
This took me 4 hours to make. I really thing we could win this. Pious for DLC!

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Nintendo only has 2 1/2 to use Etrenal Darkness? Why is that?
Nintendo used to renew the trademark with the US patent office every couple of years. They were told the last time they renewed it this past January that they have 6 months to prove that they intend to use the trademark or lose it permanently, and they can appeal for extensions for up to a total of 36 months.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/01/eternal-darkness-trademark/

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Nintendo used to renew the trademark with the US patent office every couple of years. They were told the last time they renewed it this past January that they have 6 months to prove that they intend to use the trademark or lose it permanently, and they can appeal for extensions for up to a total of 36 months.

http://wiiudaily.com/2014/01/eternal-darkness-trademark/
So in other words they must use it or else they lose it? Hmm will they have a wii u game or smash appearance? Interesting.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If they just threw an Eternal Darkness trophy in the Wii U version of smash would that count towards making use of the IP? Or would they need to do something more substantial with it?

I could see them doing that if they're not ready to put Gamecube games on virtual console yet.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
If they just threw an Eternal Darkness trophy in the Wii U version of smash would that count towards making use of the IP? Or would they need to do something more substantial with it?

I could see them doing that if they're not ready to put Gamecube games on virtual console yet.
This is a great question. Would a trophy count as using it?

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
This is a great question. Would a trophy count as using it?
Possibly, although I think that would be a real waste.

Eternal Darkness has a bit of a weird status, which is why I think it's never had even so much as a trophy in Smash. While it's partially owned by Nintendo and considered a Nintendo IP, it's also partially owned by Silicon Knights, which stopped being a Nintendo 2nd party shortly after its release and is now a completely bankrupt and defunct company. I would suspect that in the wake of Silicon Knight's bankruptcy, total ownership of the Eternal Darkness IP transferred to Nintendo.

Silicon Knights was collaborating with Nintendo on Eternal Darkness 2 in its dying days, but the game was cancelled when Silicon Knights lost its lawsuit against epic Games and plunged into debt. However, after their bankruptcy, members of the team re-emerged as Precursor Games and re-used all of the ED2 assets for Shadow of the Eternals, which from what I've gathered is literally just Eternal Darkness 2 renamed so that Precursor Games could publish it independently. They did this all with Nintendo's consent, essentially transforming Eternal Darkness into a third party franchise under a different name.

Now, Shadow of the Eternals was a crowdfunding disaster. They came nowhere close to their funding goal, and one of the project heads was literally arrested for child pornography that he was storing on company servers. So Precursor Games died very swiftly, and I honestly think that the best course of action for Nintendo would be to take that project under their wing and name it back to Eternal Darkness 2. But it all comes down to Denis Dyack, the former head of Silicon Knights, aka the man who drove his company into the ground and threw away a fruitful partnership with Nintendo because he's an insane megalomaniac.

He left Nintendo because he didn't consider the Wii's graphics up to par with his vision for the game Too Human, and then sued Epic games because he claimed the Unreal Engine was to blame for Too Human's lukewarm reception when it eventually released. Epic obliterated Dyack in court, and Silicon Knights was required to pull all unsold copies of their games that use the Unreal Engine off store shelves and destroy them, with the lawsuit also leaving them several million dollars in debt.

So, even though Eternal Darkness 2 technically still exists, Nintendo isn't interested because nobody in their right mind wants to work with someone who completely torpedoed their own studio with a frivolous ego-driven lawsuit. But he's the papa of the original Eternal Darkness, and seems intent on releasing the closest thing to a sequel the game has on his own, without Nintendo's help. He re-emerged last week with another new company, Quantum Entanglement Entertainment, declaring his intent to still release Shadow of the Eternals, alongside a movie and TV show, which sounds a bit like a desperate hail mary to save himself from financial ruin.

So, while Nintendo owns the IP, the sequel that they helped to start development on is now owned by a crazy person who refuses to give up on releasing it independently. It's a really ****ty situation. Eternal Darkness HD on the Wii U would potentially be one way for Nintendo to re-establish the IP and get the ball rolling on a sequel developed by another studio.

Here's a really in-depth look at the troubled history of Silicon Knights and Denis Dyack if you're interested:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503761

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Man that stinks. So ED might go to waste then since no one wants to work with that man. Pore series it had lots of potential. :(

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Possibly, although I think that would be a real waste.

Eternal Darkness has a bit of a weird status, which is why I think it's never had even so much as a trophy in Smash. While it's partially owned by Nintendo and considered a Nintendo IP, it's also partially owned by Silicon Knights, which stopped being a Nintendo 2nd party shortly after its release and is now a completely bankrupt and defunct company. I would suspect that in the wake of Silicon Knight's bankruptcy, total ownership of the Eternal Darkness IP transferred to Nintendo.

Silicon Knights was collaborating with Nintendo on Eternal Darkness 2 in its dying days, but the game was cancelled when Silicon Knights lost its lawsuit against epic Games and plunged into debt. However, after their bankruptcy, members of the team re-emerged as Precursor Games and re-used all of the ED2 assets for Shadow of the Eternals, which from what I've gathered is literally just Eternal Darkness 2 renamed so that Precursor Games could publish it independently. They did this all with Nintendo's consent, essentially transforming Eternal Darkness into a third party franchise under a different name.

Now, Shadow of the Eternals was a crowdfunding disaster. They came nowhere close to their funding goal, and one of the project heads was literally arrested for child pornography that he was storing on company servers. So Precursor Games died very swiftly, and I honestly think that the best course of action for Nintendo would be to take that project under their wing and name it back to Eternal Darkness 2. But it all comes down to Denis Dyack, the former head of Silicon Knights, aka the man who drove his company into the ground and threw away a fruitful partnership with Nintendo because he's an insane megalomaniac.

He left Nintendo because he didn't consider the Wii's graphics up to par with his vision for the game Too Human, and then sued Epic games because he claimed the Unreal Engine was to blame for Too Human's lukewarm reception when it eventually released. Epic obliterated Dyack in court, and Silicon Knights was required to pull all unsold copies of their games that use the Unreal Engine off store shelves and destroy them, with the lawsuit also leaving them several million dollars in debt.

So, even though Eternal Darkness 2 technically still exists, Nintendo isn't interested because nobody in their right mind wants to work with someone who completely torpedoed their own studio with a frivolous ego-driven lawsuit. But he's the papa of the original Eternal Darkness, and seems intent on releasing the closest thing to a sequel the game has on his own, without Nintendo's help. He re-emerged last week with another new company, Quantum Entanglement Entertainment, declaring his intent to still release Shadow of the Eternals, alongside a movie and TV show, which sounds a bit like a desperate hail mary to save himself from financial ruin.

So, while Nintendo owns the IP, the sequel that they helped to start development on is now owned by a crazy person who refuses to give up on releasing it independently. It's a really ****ty situation. Eternal Darkness HD on the Wii U would potentially be one way for Nintendo to re-establish the IP and get the ball rolling on a sequel developed by another studio.

Here's a really in-depth look at the troubled history of Silicon Knights and Denis Dyack if you're interested:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503761
Wow, Well apparently Next Level Games and Retro Studios are both working on top secret games, which began development in November 2013 (1 year ago) So maybe one of them is working on Eternal Darkness. PIOUS FOR DLC!!!!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
What would be better, Eternal Darkness HD remake on the Wii U,

OR

Eternal Darkness 3D remake on the 3DS?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Pious would be awesome, but I feel he'd need a redesign. A corpse doesn't work well in a game with Pokemon, Kirby and Mario. A skeleton could work, and still show him as dead.

The legal issues are tricky. Silicon Knights, if I understand, was wholly owned by Nintendo, so the IP was Nintendo's when they made it. I'm not sure how the rights transferred after the split. In Bankrupcy, it may have switched hands if SK had anything.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
Pious would be awesome, but I feel he'd need a redesign. A corpse doesn't work well in a game with Pokemon, Kirby and Mario. A skeleton could work, and still show him as dead.

The legal issues are tricky. Silicon Knights, if I understand, was wholly owned by Nintendo, so the IP was Nintendo's when they made it. I'm not sure how the rights transferred after the split. In Bankrupcy, it may have switched hands if SK had anything.
I agree that his design would need to be toned down a bit, he's not exactly E10+ material right now. I guarantee Nintendo fully owns the IP, but they've shown no interest in using it.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Yeah he could be a cool skeleton man, we've got Stalfos in the game as well as bubbles (the flying skulls)
I agree that his design would need to be toned down a bit, he's not exactly E10+ material right now. I guarantee Nintendo fully owns the IP, but they've shown no interest in using it.
Next level and Retro are working on top secret projects, we can only hope one is Eternal Darkness related.
Pious for DLC. Spread the word. Has anyone found any Eternal Darkness content in Smash bros Wii U yet?

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
This has to be one of the coolest obscure characters i've ever seen.

He's an undead Roman warlock!

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
So, a thought on abilities. Now, mind you, I haven't played the game.

In the game, it seems that you get Magic with the Book of Eternal Darkness. So Pious's special could be spells in the game. But here's the kicker, if you hold B after putting in the original input, you can then add runes by pressing Up, Down, or Side (Left/Right). This will make the spell take longer to cast, but it would also power up the special move.
Side - Increases the duration or range
Down - Increases Power or effectiveness
Up - Adds a special effect

You can input two extra commands and they do stack. As you cast the spell, you'll hear the whisper of the input you gave in the order you did them. Some ideas for spells

Damage Field
Magic Attack
Summon

Not sure about up special.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
So, a thought on abilities. Now, mind you, I haven't played the game.

In the game, it seems that you get Magic with the Book of Eternal Darkness. So Pious's special could be spells in the game. But here's the kicker, if you hold B after putting in the original input, you can then add runes by pressing Up, Down, or Side (Left/Right). This will make the spell take longer to cast, but it would also power up the special move.
Side - Increases the duration or range
Down - Increases Power or effectiveness
Up - Adds a special effect

You can input two extra commands and they do stack. As you cast the spell, you'll hear the whisper of the input you gave in the order you did them. Some ideas for spells

Damage Field
Magic Attack
Summon

Not sure about up special.
That's very very similar to the idea I had for my move set. Mine's a little more informed by actually playing the game, but very similar. I guess I should just go ahead and post it. Only I can't find the word document it was all written out in. If I find it or feel inspired to rewrite it all, I'll be sure to share it.

This has to be one of the coolest obscure characters i've ever seen.

He's an undead Roman warlock!
He's pretty ****ing metal, isn't he? Definitely one of the coolest looking Nintendo villains. It's concerning that the game has never gotten so much as a sticker in the Smash Bros series, I'm guessing another reason why, other than confusion over who exactly owns the IP, is that it was basically ignored in Japan.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
That's very very similar to the idea I had for my move set. Mine's a little more informed by actually playing the game, but very similar. I guess I should just go ahead and post it. Only I can't find the word document it was all written out in. If I find it or feel inspired to rewrite it all, I'll be sure to share it.

He's pretty ****ing metal, isn't he? Definitely one of the coolest looking Nintendo villains. It's concerning that the game has never gotten so much as a sticker in the Smash Bros series, I'm guessing another reason why, other than confusion over who exactly owns the IP, is that it was basically ignored in Japan.
We just need to drum up enough support for Pious. His main selling point to the people who have no clue who he is is that he's a Nintendo owned undead Roman Warlock. To the people who know who he is, he's an obscure character from a great Gamecube game, that should be in smash bros. Pious for DLC.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
We just need to drum up enough support for Pious. His main selling point to the people who have no clue who he is is that he's a Nintendo owned undead Roman Warlock. To the people who know who he is, he's an obscure character from a great Gamecube game, that should be in smash bros. Pious for DLC.
I mean, as awesome as the character is and as much as I want him in Smash, Sakurai probably isn't even aware of him. I think Pious's chances of being DLC for Sm4sh are close to zero. We should drum up as much support as we can and make the greater Smash community aware of him and the great game he comes from to at least garner interest in him for Smash 5. But even if this thread gets more posts than Ridley's, unless Eternal Darkness gets a rerelease or a sequel, his chances of ever being in the series are still no better than Geno's. Sakurai has said they don't consider characters from series with no future, and this is also one of the few Nintendo series that has never been acknowledged by Smash in any way. So maybe the best thing everyone could do if they like this character is buy a copy of the game and show Nintendo we want more!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/ol/B00005Q8M4/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
As the owner of the Alexandra Roivas for Smash 4 thread, I disagree with your opening post.

Protagonists ALWAYS get in before villains, as well.
Adding to the shock value of Pious Augustus's debut if he makes it onto the Super Smash Bros's roster for as along as Masahiro "Troll" Sakurai is at the Director's Helm nothing is guaranteed except for surprises.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Adding to the shock value of Pious Augustus's debut if he makes it onto the Super Smash Bros's roster for as along as Masahiro "Troll" Sakurai is at the Director's Helm nothing is guaranteed except for surprises.

Let me ask you this: name one series in Smash that got its villain first?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

You sir are making no sense. Even if the main character is actually the villain, heroes always get priority.

And Alexandra has the right of being both main character and protagonist!

Pallex

Smash Journeyman
You sir are making no sense. Even if the main character is actually the villain, heroes always get priority.

Don't be afraid to admit you're on the development team of Super Smash Bros and therefore know what is prioritize and what isn't and not basing it on nothing but your opinions and hopes. Such as "the Fire Emblem series will only get two characters playable in Super Smash Bros X game because the past Super Smash games follow that fan-made pattern".

Selenite

Smash Cadet
As the owner of the Alexandra Roivas for Smash 4 thread, I disagree with your opening post.

Protagonists ALWAYS get in before villains, as well.
Don't be afraid to admit you're on the development team of Super Smash Bros and therefore know what is prioritize and what isn't and not basing it on nothing but your opinions and hopes. Such as "the Fire Emblem series will only get two characters playable in Super Smash Bros X game because the past Super Smash games follow that fan-made pattern".
Here's a good idea. Why not have BOTH in Super Smash Bros as DLC allows instead of arguing about X character will get in over Y Character like children?
Do consider as well that it isn't a competition between fanbases to get their favorite characters in before anybody else's.
If Pious Augustus or John Raimi get in before Alexandra Roivas, so what? That doesn't mean that Ms. Roivas is never going to be a thing or that you wasted your money. You still got Mewtwo, a full-fledged veteran to the roster, and encouraged Nintendo to support other fans that are also reaping the rewards of the development team's and your time and effort.

There is much more to this than just "buy Mewtwo, get more DLC". You want Nintendo to go for it? You prove to them that it's worth taking the chance on it. It's our turn now, alright?
Who's to say DLC doesn't allow other characters to get in? I'm sure DLC has enough room for everyone.

6 of those spaces are the last enemies of All-Star Mode for Wii U, Pac-Man:4pacman:, Little Mac:4littlemac:, Luigi:4luigi:, Mario:4mario:, Donkey Kong:4dk: and Mr. Game & Watch:4gaw:
It seems off considering how organized everything else looks. But then to fill it ALL up, you would need 16 characters.
If that extra space is reserved for DLC characters then there should be enough room for Advance Wars, Splatoon, Style Savvy, Baten Kaitos, Golden Sun, and whatever other characters you would like to see for DLC.
I hate it when people act like "X character will get in so that means Y character will NEVER get in! Sakuari please!:sadeyes:" (Not referring to anyone's post just this attitude in general).

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Here's a good idea. Why not have BOTH in Super Smash Bros as DLC allows instead of arguing about X character will get in over Y Character like children?
Do consider as well that it isn't a competition between fanbases to get their favorite characters in before anybody else's.
If Pious Augustus or John Raimi get in before Alexandra Roivas, so what? That doesn't mean that Ms. Roivas is never going to be a thing or that you wasted your money. You still got Mewtwo, a full-fledged veteran to the roster, and encouraged Nintendo to support other fans that are also reaping the rewards of the development team's and your time and effort.

There is much more to this than just "buy Mewtwo, get more DLC". You want Nintendo to go for it? You prove to them that it's worth taking the chance on it. It's our turn now, alright?

I hate it when people act like "X character will get in so that means Y character will NEVER get in! Sakuari please!:sadeyes:" (Not referring to anyone's post just this attitude in general).
Yeah I like Pious more than Alex and Raimi,but I wouldn't complain much if they got in over Pious, mainly because they're both on my newcomer list as well, the only character that I must have as DLC is Wolf.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace

There's never been a situation where the villain is actually the more prominent character. I don't really think there are any arbitrary rules about who has to get in first, it's just whoever works best for representing the franchise.

I think the OP outlines the reasons Pious would be a better rep pretty well, but you're free to disagree. He's the main monster from a horror franchise, he's the only character featured in every chapter of the game's story, he's a master of magick, and Alexandra is by far the most generic playable character. Until there's a new Eternal Darkness game of some kind, I don't think either has even an inkling of a chance, but I would much prefer Pious because of his badass design and personality. I think seeing a character like him would make people much more curious about Eternal Darkness than Alexandra would.

Last edited:

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings

This has been brought up before, but villains have a greater roll in survival horror games than the protagonist do. Example: Freddy, not the security guard, is the main character of Five Nights at Freddy's. Same for Outlast. Resident Evil has predominate heroes, but Wesker is in every game. The same is true here. Actually, Alexadria is a boring character with no cool abilities. Pious looks a lot different than the other fighters and can use the abilities in the game like Alexandria does (as he had the tomb of eternal darkness too). I think he fits the bill better.

Top Bottom