• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

My B sticking guide and Tips for ZSS players.(B stick Side B and UP B seems good)

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
B sticking is when you configure your c stick to Special and move forward on control stick, jump, and press back/up/down on c stick. if facing left then you hold back on control stick jump, and press back/up/down on c stick. You get more out of it if you holding forward or back on the control stick.

Vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Wix_KsK5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kox5-m5JM3w
3:26

Also you can only do one b stick per regular jump. Making that two b stick b4 you hit the ground,

B sticking Side B

To do this hold forward and jump right and press c stick left. Vice versa the opposite way.

Without C stick

To do it regularly, you would hold back, jump and side B(still holding back) then quickly move forward on control stick. Vice versa the opposite way.

From what I experience this seems to be very useful.

The Side B B stick is good for retreating options. it allows more versatility in your side b game as it retreats and is more safe because of that. Tapping jump into Side B B sticking seems particular useful as you are doing a safer side B since you are moving back.

It seems to be useful when you close too opponent or above opponent.

It allows for more of a defensive presence with the move. Also this move could be useful for edgeguarding as it moves you backward toward the edge. This allows for great mix-ups. It seems to be use in certain situations where a normal side b wouldn't work because of its backward movement.

What I am trying to say is b sticking Side B has more vertical whip range than jump side B because of the landing animation of B stick Side B.

(For example if you were to stand next to your opponent and tap jump and do side B normally, you wouldn't be able to hit the target too efficiently, but if you tap jump and b stick then the move will hit them in that situation). Be aware that side b has good recovery so you can block/dodge particular fast if it fails. I tried this example on Link and Marth. Bowser/Dedede may actually get hit by normal tap jumping side B though.

B sticking side B is basically like if you land and about to to side B. It has alot of range vertically and can hit standing and aerial opponents as well.

B sticking Down B.
I don't see any effect in this. Maybe extra sliding on landing if you hold forward?

B sticking B

To be stick B you have to press diagonal on the c stick of the opposite direction you are holding. (Kinda hard to do. stick to regular way.)

Without C stick

Regularly, jump backwards(hold back) and press neutral B then quickly hold forward. Vice versa opposite direction.

B sticking B, Can be useful a safer gun option from the air. can be use for edge guarding safely and shooting the gun in air safely. Good for people who rely on the air.

Normally you wouldn't use b in air really because of the lag time but with b sticking it can be use more efficiently as you move backwards.

*edit* if you wait until she lands and do b stick B, then she does a retreating groundshot. This could be useful.

B sticking Up B

To be B stick UP B,
If facing right, Jump forward and press c stick upwards.

*edited* The way I see to do it is, for ZSS at least, hold left and c stick up then c stick right Immediately.(This is not that Hard as it seems not you can ROLL from c stick up to c stick right with your thumb)

Without C stick

*Edit*
When facing Left you must hold UP/BACK diagonal on control stick, jump, and press B and IMMEDIATELY move forward. Vice versa the opposite way.(You can ROLL the joystick from UP/BACK Diagonal to forward to make it easier.)

B sticking UP B, From what I see this is extremely useful. She jumps up and does UP B in a backwards momentum.
This is good for mind games in the air to catch them with UP B.

This can be very efficiently use as a spike when the opponent is off the ledge.( of course you can attack them as they go down from you UP B as well.) It makes it easier to spikes because of the range horizontally and the fact that you move backwards. I tried it in training so you guys can try it yourself.

This could also help in Catching people DI in the air.

Look at how she swing the whip while using B stick UP B.
The key is that she move backwards WHILE doing the animation of UP B. So from what I see, it covers alot more distance horizontally then you average jump forward/backward and UP B. what i am trying to say is B sticking UP B offers more range the regular UP B.

Remember you can do it once per regular jump so you can jump and hold forward on control stick and press B stick UP then jump again and hold forward and B stick UP B. Vice versa as well. So you can do TWO b sticks with two separate jumps b4 you hit the ground.

Also you can try jumping forward and b sticking UP B and then jump again in opposite direction and b sticking UP B.In other words jump forward and b stick and jump back and b stick before touching the ground. What this does is confuses the opponent aerially. as you are UP Bing forwards and backwards in swinging directions.

This same method above can apply to side b, B as well.
B sticking offers great position in the battlefield.
I am sure the same stuff is being found with other characters as well.(Lucas)

Also I can do it without the c stick for the most part. But then again I can do the Samus to ZSS code pretty easily. So I have relatively quick fingers. But you guys can nail it down with practice.

I am sure there are other uses as well. Post any wrongs if you like. I am still experimenting, B sticking Side B and UP B seems very powerful.

Also a common question is.
Do you need to reconfigure the c stick to Special in order to do this?
The answer to that question is NO.

Thank you for your time reading my post.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Thx dude. Here is another tactic. When you are hanging on the ledge you can hold down or back and press jump and go to the edge and attack. This is an old tactic but now you can implement B stick side B with it.
A normal Side B ,When you jump from ledge, will not hit the opponent who is on the ledge but a B stick one, from the ledge, will hit a standing opponent on the ledge.

In fact, you can mix up jumping Side B and B sticking Side B when you are on the ledge. But as usual B stick Side B has more vertical range.

In short words. You are on the right ledge, you are hanging, you press jump and down( or back) on control stick, hold left on control stick and c stick right.

Vice versa the opposite way. I think this is very useful technique.

Snakeee

Smash Master
Good stuff...no way am I going to change my controller config though. I'll just practice doing it without B-sticking.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Good stuff...no way am I going to change my controller config though. I'll just practice doing it without B-sticking.
Same with me. I just made a control config for c stick special to see it but i practice it without c stick. It is not too difficult once you get hang of it.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
To do it regularly, you would hold back, jump and (keep direction back holded) side B the quickly move forward on control stick. Vice versa the opposite way.

This has to be an immediate reaction. Jump backwards and side B, and immediately move forward.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
Very cool technique. Looks useful with lucas. I am not convinced it's all that useful with zss at this point. I'd much rather have the c stick for better uair control and usmash out of shield.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Very cool technique. Looks useful with lucas. I am not convinced it's all that useful with zss at this point. I'd much rather have the c stick for better uair control and usmash out of shield.
i say it is very useful. What I am saying is to practice it without c stick like I am doing. Nailing b stick UP B without c stick isn't too difficult really.

With the b stick UP B motion, you get backward momentum and more horizontal range as I said bb4.because of this you can use it as a more reliable spike, as a good recovery move when you are chasing them outside. I actually find it highly useful with side B.

I can see this use in tourneys as the backward motion of side B gives protect and b stick UP B (wth two in air can confused an aerial DIing opponent or help your pillaring out as she moves backwards.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
i say it is very useful. What I am saying is to practice it without c stick like I am doing. Nailing b stick UP B without c stick isn't too difficult really.

With the b stick UP B motion, you get backward momentum and more horizontal range as I said bb4.because of this you can use it as a more reliable spike, as a good recovery move when you are chasing them outside. I actually find it highly useful with side B.

I can see this use in tourneys as the backward motion of side B gives protect and b stick UP B (wth two in air can confused an aerial DIing opponent or help your pillaring out as she moves backwards.

I say it is more useful for her than lucas as she has two moves(UP B and SIDE B) that it is useful for. For lucas it is good too especially with the new zap jump technique with him.

In either case, the point is it is useful for both. I fail to see how this is not useful.

But you are entitle to your opinion.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
oh. right, i totally agree with you then. i've been doing it this entire time brawl's been out without c stick, it was out of force of habit since i played falco in melee and it's very similar to doing a reversed dashed SHL.

Irish Cream

Smash Apprentice
To do it regularly, you would hold back, jump and (keep direction back holded) side B the quickly move forward on control stick. Vice versa the opposite way.

This has to be an immediate reaction. Jump backwards and side B, and immediately move forward.
I can't seem to do this consistanty. Practiced in training but **** you have to be fast. I don't go backwards very fast sometimes, is that because I hold forward too long? I use the classic controller with no tap jump. Any tips would be great, thanks.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
Hmm lets see here classic controller has no tap jump. Whats the jump button for classic controller. Well whatever it is it is best to configure it to a button. See the way I jump regularly is the Y button. Some people jump with up with I don't do. So this makes my b sticking/wavebounce without c stick more easier for me.

You just have to get use to switching back to forward directions quickly. Like when I do it without c sticking,. I hold back press side b and press for immediately afterwards. You have to be relatively quick but it can be achieved.

Right now I am fooling with b stick B with the stun gun..(To be stick B you have to press diagonal on the c stick of the opposite direction you are holding. (Kinda hard to do. stick to regular way.)

If you do jump forward and B stick stun gun immediately you go in air and do a backwards stun gun shot in air but if if delay the b stick and do it when you land then you do a retreating ground shot. The more you hold forward, the further back you go.First of all doing the stun gun from c stick is tough and doing it without it is easier. But I manage somehow.

Also the regular without c stick version to do UP B is WRONG. I re-edited the real way to do it. It a bitt iffy to do and tough. Requires fast fingers. An expert can probably do this on the norm though. It is common place for hard commands to be easy to those kind of people. Look at the hard melee tactics that some pull off with ease.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
B stick with C stick when facing left is wrong. I re-edited it.

B sticking for recovery.

I am working on this. Since B sticking side B and UP B gives backward momentum, it seems maybe you can recover with it. I've had some success with it. Maybe it can come of use.

When you get knocked out of stage. Hold direction you got knocked out from and c stick opposite direction or c stick up. Also It would help if you air dodge first b4 b sticking while getting hit to get you off of the "Hit" state faster.

Without c stick it would be, (You got knocked off by Marth tip again(forward smash) to the right side of stage, ugggh), you would possibly air dodge , and hold the opposite direction you flew, in this case left, and and press b and immediately press right. If you don't get it right, you do a side b to the left so it wont hurt you too badly if you fail.

ZSS Maximum Recovery Thread

Thread on ZSS maximum recovery when you get knocked off stage. It involves b sticking.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=156891

I am working on this so it may not work 100%. This could potential give her better recovery. I post on first post when i get th kinks work out with this.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Giving up my Cstick would be too difficult, I just set specials to the control stick, and then set my character movement to B.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
ya you dont have to give up your c stick to special. Apparently, you can do it without setting c stick to special but it takes practice. Check out my guide on first page. IT is not completed though. I have too many grammar errors.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
After experimenting with it and using it in a tournament, I would say this is definitely worth learning to do without the c stick. I can't do the up b one, but I can do side b almost every time.

KeeKeeKee

Smash Rookie
Has anybody found a way to make up-b not auto sweet spot without bstick?

edit: nevermind, got it. It's much harder- but I suppose it'll be worth it in the long run. Agh.

k4polo

Smash Journeyman
yea B sticking UP B is very TOUGH without changing the c stick is tough.

I can provide a little help on it though. TO do it without c stick you do, HOLD UP/Back Diagonal,jump then press B(still holding UP/BACK Diagonal) then quickly press right. It is very hard but you can ROLL your thumb from UP/BACK to forward very fast. I found this more efficient and a little easier. You can also do this once you land for a horizontal hyphened UP B.

B sticking is experimental but it seems to be very powerful technique for her.

smaci92

Smash Lord
ya, good tech, but I just switched from wii mote + nunchuk to gamecub, so it I do any more switching, I'm going to suck at this game! lol

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
I think if ZSS had a real shorthop, then I think a lot more people would use it, but her shorthop is too high, so that you are too low to the ground when you get low enough to hit someone, that the effect of the wavebounce is pretty much over. If that made any sense, then that's why i probably will not change to b-sticking. But it's probably alot quicker, and upB would be nice to have real quickly also.

Anyone else agree?

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think if ZSS had a real shorthop, then I think a lot more people would use it, but her shorthop is too high, so that you are too low to the ground when you get low enough to hit someone, that the effect of the wavebounce is pretty much over. If that made any sense, then that's why i probably will not change to b-sticking. But it's probably alot quicker, and upB would be nice to have real quickly also.

Anyone else agree?
I disagree. It's just difficult to time.

brawlerbrad91

Smash Journeyman
so you're saying you get the full effect of the forwardB wavebounce when you use it like a centimeter off the ground...well it also depends on the height of the character

Maybe i'm just comparing this to Lucas's wavebounce which is obviously better, so i'll just leave this alone

Top Bottom