• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Wario

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
So I noticed that we still have no thread to discuss the Wario MU, so I here it is.

I made this because I was playing vs Néstor's Wario today and I found out that actually using Link's zair completely shuts down Wario's approach with the bike. Not only is Wario knocked off the bike, but the bike's hitbox disappears completely. Previously I used nair which knocks Wario off but depending on the height you still get hit by the bike. However, zair is 100% safe. I took Néstor to last hit in Castle Siege by using this (damn stream that failed) so it does make a big difference imo.

8MAN

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FourOhFour
3DS FC
4871-4261-8409
Bombs are also a great way to shutdown the bike, especially when planting them via soft bomb throw or by zair drop, as the bike's hitbox detonates the bombs automatically.
Bombing Wario while he is still on the bike makes the hitbox disappear, but if Wario jumps off, the bike will retain it's hitbox even when bombed.

Last edited:

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
as said above zair, nair and bombs are decent ways to get him off his bike, but also note that not all warios will always just stay on it all the time until they're near you, but is sometimes also used as some sort of projectile by immediately jumping off it and letting it ride its way to you on its own. that being said, its also important to try and predict when wario is going to his bike, as well as predicting when he usually jumps off of it, and then try to catch him with whatever aerial is most appropriate in the situation, assuming you're in range to do so. if his bike is laying on the ground guard it by staying in between wario and the bike so he cant reach it and has to approach you in rather predictable ways (i.e. air or ground) which is difficult for him due to his lack of range. besides bike his aerial mobility can be very tricky and he has to rely on that to get in most of the time; be extremely patient and dont get baited by anything or you're gonna get hurt and be put in a bad position. when you notice wario is trying to get in on you from the air just try to stay at a range where you're 100% sure he cant hit you with anything you can't react to. tbh besides waft, you should live up to each stock until about ~170%. the only real way hes going to hit his waft on you is if he confirms it out of falling dair (which is rather predictable and doesnt have much range) or out of a read (which is your own fault). although sometimes it can also be used as some sort of combo breaker, so if hes at low % and you're about to utilt him several times while he has waft, or any other string thats not (always) 100% true; watch out for that. even then these situations arent super difficult to avoid as long as you play safe, patient and confident. again, as long as he doesnt hit waft you should live every stock until about 170%; his smashes are rather slow and lack range; requires a decent read which shouldnt really happen as long as you stay safe. by the time you're at 170% an fthrow near the ledge will kill you which has been the most reliable way for warios ive played to take my stocks besides waft.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
Know also that when you are planning to trade with i.e. Zair he can wheelie and kill you very early -- the hurtbox moves. The essential mix-ups are

(a) slowing down, switching tempo
(b) jumping off
(c) riding on
(d) wheelie

This is remarkably diverse for a move often made out to be one-dimensional -- it isn't. Don't stick by dumb rules of thumb and recognize the depth and complexity of the player you're facing to respond...

Stryker95

Smash Journeyman
Options Out of Shield for Wario MU:

For data on shields I used this document by LordWilliam1234 and looked at the advantage drop and advantage out of shield (I called the disadvantage drop and disadvantage out of shield so I don’t have to deal with negative numbers). I tested every move on shield to test if they pushed Link away or how well they could space and then tested what options we had that could still reach.
Link’s OOS:
Jump cancelled Up-B- 8 frame start up

Jump cancelled U-Smash- 10 frame start up

Shield Grab- 10 frame start up (12 frame grab start up, 3 frame spot dodge start up for Wario, keep in mind that the tether will take longer to grab if the opponent is further away)

Jab- 14 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 7 frame jab)

U-Tilt- 15 (7 frame shield drop, 8 frame start up)

D-Smash- 16 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 9 frame start up)

D-Tilt- 18 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 11 frame start up)

F-Tilt- 22 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 15 frame start up) Can take a few frames longer as F-Tilt has hitboxes can hit later depending on when the Master Sword connects.

F-Smash- 22 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 15 frame start up)

Dash Attack- 28 frame start up (7 frame shield drop, 1 frame to start dash, 20 frame start up) Can take a few frames longer as F-Tilt has hitboxes can hit later depending on when the Master Sword connects.

Bomb throw- 8 frame start up (7 frames start up, 1 frame before blast)

Note on bombs: Bombs will connect even if enemy is right in your face. They come out faster than grab, but while both are active (tether and bomb moving through the air) tether moves faster than a bomb.

Some abbreviations (because I don’t want to write them out all the time):

DD: Disadvantage drop- this means how many frames Link has to punish Wario after dropping shield first.

For example, Link has a jab with a 7 frame start up. If the DD of a move is 7 or more, Link can punish Wario with this move.

DO: Disadvantage out of shield- this means how many frames Link has to punish Wario using a direct OOS, like grab or jump cancelled moves.

For example, Up-B OOS has an 8 frame start-up, so if the DO is 8 or more, than Up-B OOS will punish.

I tested this in training mode 1/4 speed hold L, so these are frame perfect, keep that in mind when deciding what you want to use for your punish. I list all possible punishes considering good spacing and the fact that some moves push Link away, making some options that are fast enough not an option, I will point these out as they come.

If I state something as “perfect spacing” I mean Wario hitting the edge of shield, meaning he would have whiffed entirely if Link was not shielding.

"Good spacing" means Wario would barely hit Link if Link was not shielding.

"Bad spacing" means Wario and Link are very close together.

Next are Wario’s moves:
Jab (1): DD: 12, DO: 19
At perfect and good spacing Grab, Bomb, Up-B, Jab, DTilt, and DSmash will punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Up B, Jab, DTilt, DSmash, U-Smash, UTilt, and Bomb will punish
Jab (2): DD: 18, DO: 25
At any spacing Grab, Bomb, Utilt, USmash, Jab, DTilt, DSmash, Up-B, FTilt, and F-Smash will punish.
F-Tilt: DD: 11 DO: 18
At perfect spacing only Grab and Bomb will punish.
At bad spacing Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, DSmash, DTilt, U-Smash and U-Tilt will punish.
D-Tilt: DD: 1 DO: 8
At bad spacing Bomb and up-B may punish.
U-Tilt: DD: 9 DO: 16
At any spacing Grab, Bomb, U-Tilt, U-Smash, Up-B, D-Smash, and Jab will punish.
Dash Attack: DD: 31 DO: 38
Anything can punish, to include the second hit of DSmash. Wario can only go through Link if he begins the Dash Attack at the spacing that begins to push Link’s character model.
F-Smash: DD: 27 DO: 34
Anything can punish, at perfect or good spacing many options will require Link to walk up first.
D-Smash: DD: 43/40 DO: 50/47 (Hit1/Hit2)
Anything can punish, at perfect or good spacing many options will require Link to walk up first.
Up-Smash: DD: 28 DO: 35
Aerials: This is tricky. Aerials will vary because of when they hit the shield (on top, the middle, etc.), sweetspot or sourspot, autocancelling, or if the opponent screws up or not. I will just place the DD and DO as well as landing lag and auto-cancels at the end of moves. (Note: If auto cancelled, Wario suffers only 4 frames of landing lag.)
Nair: DD: 0/1 DO: 7/8 (Early hit/ Late hit) Landing lag: 12 Auto-cancel: 1-3, 44>
Up-B may punish.
Fair: DD: 3 DO:10 Landing Lag: 16 Auto-cancel: 1-4, 27>
Grab, Bomb, U-Smash, and Up-B may punish.
Bair: DD: 12 DO: 19 Landing lag: 27 Auto-cancel: 1-5, 34>
Grab, Bomb, USmash, Up-B, Jab, UTilt, DTilt, and DSmash may punish.
Dair: DD: 10/8 DO: 17/15 Landing lag: 28 Auto-cancel: 1-2, 42>
Grab, Bomb, Jab, Up-B, U-Tilt and U-Smash may punish.
Upair: DD: -4 DO: 3 Landing Lag: 14 Auto-Cancel: 1-3, 37>
Nothing can punish.
Specials
Chomp:
Command Grab
Bike: No Shield Data
Wario can jump off as soon as it connects or even before.
Waft (uncharged) does not affect shield, anything can punish.
Waft (20 seconds) Anything can punish.
Waft (55 seconds) Anything can punish.
Waft (Full charge) does tons of shield damage. It also sends Wario high into the air, nothing can punish.
Corkscrew: DD: 29 DO: 36
Places in special fall, anything can punish.

Last edited:
Top Bottom