• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MU Strategy Thread

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
Alright, so we aren't all posting different threads for different MU's, lets discuss here what each MU entails.

In particular, how would we go about the Dedede, Sheik, and other top tier character MU's?

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
I believe the most important match-up we need to figure out right now (as with most other characters) is vs. Rosalina. The fact that Luma is able to shield Rosalina from Diddy's banana throws severely cripples our punish game.

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
agreed, the matchup vs rosalina is one we really need to figure out. luma blocks bananas, and gravity stops them from being useful on the ground. This is by far my most difficult matchup. I even sometimes find myself struggling against rosalina players who seem to be newer players =(

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Rosaluma is the only character that gives me broken concerns. So far, I've been using a general strategy with all my characters (Fox as my main, Diddy and Mega Man as Secondaries). I try to get Luma out of the way, or at least separate them. Once Luma is temporarily out of the way, I think Diddy can resume his hard punish game on Rosa herself. Grab > Dthrow combos and rack up damage. Once Luma rejoins her, rise and repeat. Obviously, don't do the same thing twice. Mix up how to get Luma out of the picture, event for a brief time. Be VERY careful how you approach Rosa & Luma, even separately. They both have deceptively good priority.

Dissent

Bananaman Formerly Known As Sails
NNID
dotDissent
I haven't faced nearly enough of them but from my experience, it's an even matchup. Once we learn what out-prioritizes/spaces her and Luma I can see this going ever so slightly in our favor due to how easily we can dispatch of Luma forcing her on the defensive.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Rosaluma is a huge problem for Diddy. I was playing against a solid Rosalina player the other day and lost about 15 games to 5. The only way I could take stocks off her was to use short hop aerials (mainly Fair) to hit the top of her really tall hitbox. Bananas are totally useless, if left on the floor, she can just down B and it's then her nana and comboing with aerials doesn't work because she's so light. Can't pummel either because of stupid Luma. If I face a decent Rosaluma while playing as Diddy in future, I will have to switch to another character as I can't see any way to be able to beat her in this MU.

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
I believe the most important match-up we need to figure out right now (as with most other characters) is vs. Rosalina. The fact that Luma is able to shield Rosalina from Diddy's banana throws severely cripples our punish game.
Forget Luma blocks, Rosalina can just down-b and easily grab the banana for herself. She doesn't just kill our punish game, she uses it against us. She is basically good at stopping every single thing that Diddy does well. Luma breaks grabs, so it hard to start a juggle and Monkey Flip's command grab is a poor option. In the air her disjointed hitboxes on her Dair and Bair/Fair make it really hard to get anywhere in the air. Even when you get to kill percentages it's really hard to get her into the blast zones.

Last edited:

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Rosaluma is a huge problem for Diddy. I was playing against a solid Rosalina player the other day and lost about 15 games to 5. The only way I could take stocks off her was to use short hop aerials (mainly Fair) to hit the top of her really tall hitbox. Bananas are totally useless, if left on the floor, she can just down B and it's then her nana and comboing with aerials doesn't work because she's so light. Can't pummel either because of stupid Luma. If I face a decent Rosaluma while playing as Diddy in future, I will have to switch to another character as I can't see any way to be able to beat her in this MU.
I'm with you on this one. I was winning maybe 1 out of every 5 against rosalinas, even ones who weren't that great. When I come up against them now, I switch to peach and i'm having a lot more success against them

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
The other problem with Rosalina is that unlike Duck Hunt and other zoners, there isn't really any notable openings for the side B kick. Whereas you can kick through the clay disc or gunman on reaction, or through Link boomerangs, the only thing you can try this on is Luma shot, which isn't actually that laggy.

If you're using bananas against her, you need to have a banana in hand and use it when luma is separated from her. A lot of you have been saying not to leave bananas on the ground, but I find that only to be the case when not near her. If you have a Banana nearby, and are in close quarters, she CAN NOT risk a gravitational pull or you get a free punish on it, despite losing the banana.

It's a tough matchup, but we have to remember Diddy has solid normals. Most of my game has been spacing with Bair, baiting luma out and then going for the grab / Banana game if they send luma out with a luma shot AND I get in. Good Rosalina's will keep Luma with them at mid - close range though so it's tough.

Last edited:

GroundZero996

Smash Apprentice
It's a tough matchup, but we have to remember Diddy has solid normals. Most of my game has been spacing with Bair, baiting luma out and then going for the grab / Banana game if they send luma out with a luma shot AND I get in. Good Rosalina's will keep Luma with them at mid - close range though so it's tough.
Diddy's normals are pretty amazing, but I think Rosalina's are just better. Her disjointed Fsmash and Dsmash is normally enough to deal with even the best Bairs, and Her Dair and Bair and very good at keeping Diddy from juggling her.

It's a stacked MU, one that I don't think Diddy can win on even ground. I'd go so far as to say it 's 80:20 in Rosalina's favor. I can't tell you how many people I've been trouncing only to lose two stock to their Rosalina.

Top Bottom