• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Marth

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
There appears to be no Marth matchup thread, and with multiple good Marths in my region (one considered to be one of the best if not the best in the world), I need some help. Mostly I'm interested in edgeguarding, on-stage the matchup seems pretty even to me, but off stage is a world of hurt. I usually like to go off stage to gimp, but short of two-framing Marth's up b with the lingering hitbox of dair (which I mess up more than I get), I don't think there are any great options. Is it best to stand on stage and try to two frame with Dsmash or Ftilt? Or not go for the two frame at all and just set up for ledge traps?

MintyGuy700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MintyGuy700
3DS FC
0044-4078-1187
There appears to be no Marth matchup thread, and with multiple good Marths in my region (one considered to be one of the best if not the best in the world), I need some help. Mostly I'm interested in edgeguarding, on-stage the matchup seems pretty even to me, but off stage is a world of hurt. I usually like to go off stage to gimp, but short of two-framing Marth's up b with the lingering hitbox of dair (which I mess up more than I get), I don't think there are any great options. Is it best to stand on stage and try to two frame with Dsmash or Ftilt? Or not go for the two frame at all and just set up for ledge traps?
You can set a bomb at the ledge. If Marth uses Dolphin Slash right to the ledge, he will blow himself up giving you a followup. The only way Marth can avoid it is by using Dolphin Slash a bit further away from the edge.

Natmax

Smash Apprentice
That's awesome! What do you recommend doing when that adapt to it?

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome! What do you recommend doing when that adapt to it?
Perhaps you could also try either rolling another bomb off the edge or just throwing one down where you expect them to be? Not sure if you'd have enough time for that setup most of the time though.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
I find that N-air can be a pretty good tool for gimping if used correctly. The initial and even lingering hit box of it can really screw over his recovery (especially if he doesn't have his 2nd jump). However I'd avoid attempting it if you're close to the stage considering the possibility that his Up-B may stage spike you in the process.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
(Wow, no MU thread in the Link section about Lucina? Guess this will have to do)

Bare with me while I apply similar logic to Marth as you would Lucina.

Game 3 NAKAT (Lucina) vs T (Link)

I think this game shows perfectly how important it is for Marcina to perfect shield (while being aware of Link's grab). Also shows how effective Lucina (and Marth) are at edge guarding Link's. NAKAT took a stock by going deep with bair. Link (likely holding a bomb) can only play with airdodge really if he's too far away to tether. Or Lucina can counter Link's up B. The commentators also explained how Link is sadly a little slow and Marcina can rush in easier and can usually out-maneuver Link's projectile game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom