• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Olimar

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
Going to cut to the chase. Olimar is one of the only match-ups I don't have a solid gameplan for. The biggest trouble I have with him is his small size and his pikmin. So... let's discuss!

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Interestingly enough, our Hylian Shield blocks his pickin, even when he's smashing. So, if he's charging a smash just stand in front of him and his pikmin will be stopped by the shield just as any other projectile. Also, if you soft throw bombs his pikmin will take the bomb to him when they return. At least they used to.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
Soft thrown bombs also serve to impede Oli's progress causing him to either jump over, leaving himself to aerial attacks, or throw Pikmin, ensuring that only his reds will survive at worst. His Up Special recovery also has no attacks outside of an Aerial Attack Cancel, so he should be open to a Dair spike then.

DJTHED

Smash Apprentice
NNID
djthed
3DS FC
1805-3499-5905
Switch FC
SW-1721-8556-4217
Interestingly enough, our Hylian Shield blocks his pickin, even when he's smashing. So, if he's charging a smash just stand in front of him and his pikmin will be stopped by the shield just as any other projectile.
Link's shield has only been able to block Olimar's Up Smash by staying in idle animation, and Link still gets hit with his D/F Smash. I would assume you can still block those two smashes by crouching, but I'm not sure yet since I only have access to the 3DS version at the moment (pretty sure it blocks it though -- EDIT: yup, it does.).

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
Link's shield has only been able to block Olimar's Up Smash by staying in idle animation, and Link still gets hit with his D/F Smash. I would assume you can still block those two smashes by crouching, but I'm not sure yet since I only have access to the 3DS version at the moment (pretty sure it blocks it though -- EDIT: yup, it does.).
So I tested this out, and Link's HS shield actually blocks every smash in idle animation by both standing still and crouching. Only fsmash hits link if you're standing up and right next to olimar since the pikmin launch in an arc. However, if you crouch you block all of them, and even standing you block his smashes 90% of times.

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
I play against an Olimar player names Soulimar all the time. Oli wins the MU by about 65:35. He can combo you easily and his neautral game overpowers Link's so much. The positive things for Link is that most of his ariels get the pikmin off you and you can kill him somewhat early.

Last edited:

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
I play against an Olimar player names Soulimar all the time. Oli wins the MU by about 65:35. He can combo you easily and his neautral game overpowers Link's so much. The positive things for Link is that most of his ariels get the pikmen off you and you can kill him somewhat early.
I recognize that name! Plays in the Sac area with Stark and what not.

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
I recognize that name! Plays in the Sac area with Stark and what not.
Yeah! I host tournaments there and am reconised as the 2nd best Link in NorCal(Soronie has better fundamentals than me, although I have more tech skill). I'm trying to become more active on Smashboards to help out people and show new unseen(?) tech like DGCG (Directional Grab Canncel Item Glide).

TrevyTrev

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrevyTrev510
Yeah! I host tournaments there and am reconised as the 2nd best Link in NorCal(Soronie has better fundamentals than me, although I have more tech skill). I'm trying to become more active on Smashboards to help out people and show new unseen(?) tech like DGCG (Directional Grab Canncel Item Glide).
Would you mind playing some friendlies some time? I'm in norcal as well and there aren't too many links as is but links in norcal is really well lol would like to see how I stack up against the top ones.

JTF

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hipster_JTF
Would you mind playing some friendlies some time? I'm in norcal as well and there aren't too many links as is but links in norcal is really well lol would like to see how I stack up against the top ones.
Yeah for sure! There is also a facebook group with a chat for NorCal Links.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Please stay on topic. Use PM's or the social for that sort of thing.

Oh and 'Directional Grab Cancel Item Glide' is probably the worst name I've ever heard for the early brawl tech known to most people as either DITCIT, DACIT, boost tossing or bomb sliding. Let's all try to pretend that we didn't read it and maybe it will go away.

epicnights

Smash Apprentice
NNID
epicnights
I still think that Link struggles a lot in this matchup. Nearly everything Olimar does is just too fast for Link to deal with up close, and Pikmin Toss forces Link to either let Olimar get free damage or commit to an U-tilt to get pikmin off, which is punishable due to the extra hitllag from the pikmin hurtboxes. The pikmin also just love to eat up bomb and boomerang hitboxes. The only advantage Link has is that u-tilt will usually one-shot pikmen of any color unless staled, which it usually is.

Top Bottom