• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Link vs Link

Linkmario00

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Linkmario00
So, what should I do when facing another Link? Maybe I'm not too good, but I find difficult to camp him. So should I go for mid-range attack with the sword? How much should I use Hylian Shield to protect from other Link's projectiles?

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
It's all very personal. If the other player is a more efficient camper you may as well chase each other down. I generally avoid a camping game in dittos because I don't want to repeat Brawl, but to each his own. If you are smart with your opponents bombs it may help your game a lot. It's not about not knowing the opponents' character, so I say watch the Link dittos in the video archive and drop by http://xat.com/LinkSmashers to play some of us and practice.

It should be mentioned too that Link can be exceptionally good at gimping himself -- draw bombs wisely when you are flung off-stage and pester the opponent with Nairs. Knowing what to do with jab is important too: because Link's grab sucks, it's a very good tool to poke around with. It also means Link has difficulty punishing when someone lands behind him -- watch out for the Utilt and it's a pretty safe position.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
This is a tough but also a simple question. Tough because here is no right answer since the MU is 50/50 and the character factor is basically, or almost, taken off the table. This is a case of fighting or playing the player, not the char in almost every sense. While this isn't exactly true since Link still has weaknesses that you can and should exploit, these are also your weaknesses so you should be aware of them. You know what is weak about Link's game, so exploit that. In this case, as in most if note very ditto, the player is the sole factor in winning, so learn to read players and abuse their patterns.

Besides that and more concretely I'd say that Link is heavy and can be juggle very easily and gimped even more easily, so do that. Gimp with an Off stage Nair and force an air dodge with a projectile before. Also, pay attention if it's a campy Link to how dynamic his camp game is. If he tends to stay put a lot while pulling an arrow or bomb or rang, simply become aggro. These moves are laggy so dodge theirs while tossing yours and move in. Also, Hyloian shield as always is your best friend, learn to run (not dash) with it so you can approach while covering from spam.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I am a Link main, and I admit, I have issues with Link ditto matches. Although lately, it's been getting better. One of my co-workers plays Link also, and after playing many matches with him, I've been consistently two stocking him. The thing is, like most ditto matches, Link's attacks cancel each other out. Arrows clash for instance. I try to find the part that I'm better at (usually bombs) and stick to that. It is like a mirror match, but I try to change the direction and mix it up a lot. Don't play like you normally would. I'll toss bombs at weird angles to setup other attacks all while avoiding Link's best attacks. One of the reasons I've been so bad at these matches for this long is because I tend to over-think everything in it... so I'm slowly getting better at it.

Just my two cents!

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I tend to play much more aggressive against other Links. Usually it really surprises them and allow me to take advantage. Usually they aren't ready to really have to move around the stage against another Link apparently.

In Link ditto's, it's more about knowing your opponent's capabilities rather than his or her character's. Link's the type of character that can be played very differently and still be viable. My only advice is to try to play mind games with him, and search for your opponents tactics and habits... everyone has habits.

Last edited:

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
I tend to play much more aggressive against other Links. Usually it really surprises them and allow me to take advantage. Usually they aren't ready to really have to move around the stage against another Link apparently.

In Link ditto's, it's more about knowing your opponent's capabilities rather than his or her character's. Link's the type of character that can be played very differently and still be viable. My only advice is to try to play mind games with him, and search for your opponents tactics and habits... everyone has habits.
and if you're lucky, they are d-air habits lol

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Links can be tough, my advice is to start out super campy, others tend to think this is the norm for Link mains, it's obviously not. Use this like a jab in the first round of a boxing match, to FEEL OUT THE OPPONENT. Chances are, they want to show that their Link is better, so they may want to do something intimidating, like a grab combo, or a jab cancel-to-smash. Just play defensively until you know their capabilities in terms of offense and reads, then look for an opening in it. When you get one, shatter their expectation of being super campy with a nice jab cancel to grab combo, then look for an fast stock finish, like a spike or gimp. At least, this is what I would do in this situation. Speculation, but I think it's accurate, unless they're a REALLY GOOD LINK.

Top Bottom