• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Ike

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Greetings, Link forum. Seeing that you do not have a regular schedule for discussing match-ups with individual characters nor does a MU thread already exist for Link vs. Ike, I have decided to create one.

Of all the characters versus Link in SSB4, this is the one I am most curious about. How does this particular match-up compare then and now?

I remember looking at these threads from the Brawl era a few years back as a lurker.

http://smashboards.com/threads/links-match-ups-export-0-ike.242004/ (2009)
http://smashboards.com/threads/link-vs-ike.314268/ (2011)

From what I have gotten from these, in spite of Link's projectile spam, the match-up was favorable for Ike in SSBB due to the latter's Jab and attack range. With Link's significant buffs in this iteration and Ike losing his ability to jab cancel along with reduced F-air range, would you consider this match-up to be even? Still in Ike's favor? Or does Link now have the advantage?

^-^

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I have always felt Link had the advantage, even in SSBB. This is due to zair since it allowed up to keep Ike at a comfortable distance, and ike not being able to deal properly with our spam due to his speed and weight. I could have been wring, but I always felt it this way.

This time around Ike is a bit more dangerous since he is considerably faster. however, I still find Link to have a slightly advantage again due to our spam. While I don't use zair as much as before (nor as I should probably) in this MU it can be great to keep Ike at bay. This is essential since we have the same issue with Ike as with Ganondorf: one mistake or one read can lead to a lost stock.

Regarding how to deal with an Ike, I'd like to have more exp (been a while since I've played @Oblivion129 and he's my only Ike MU exp) o give a more confident answer, but I believe that once again the key is zair and rang. While our current meta revolves around soft throwing bombs, Ike plays quite aerially this time around so I'm not so sure how it'd work (haven't played vs an ike since I started soft throwing bombs). I usually play a game of keeping away with ike and trying to read his atttacks as to shild and grab.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I played an Ike main (who has since switched) and we were about even, mostly on account of his early kills. Don't underestimate him off-stage: a fine Dair (not the spike hitbox, actually -- that never hit me) or Fair can kill you really early; and if you are baited into recovering in another way you might get hit with an Ftilt or even Fsmash for another early kill.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I see. Interesting. Ike lacking a projectile himself does force him to approach, and he retains that problem here.

I still mainly lurk the forums to this day. Is it true Link's Z-air isn't as good as it was in SSBB? What else has changed about it, other than it having longer range?

You are correct that Ike also received a handful of buffs. For us, the Ike metagame is focused on his new ground and combo game with D-tilt, as well as spacing with auto-cancelled F-airs and B-airs. The 1.0.4. update did wonders especially, and we are still exploring his potential. Unlike Link, I heard playing SSB4 Ike exactly as his SSBB counterpart is detrimental for his metagame development, forcing us to reinvent his playstyle and re-adapt. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as time passes.

Mind if I invite fellow Ikes from their forum? Other Links should definitely join in the discussion as well. It will enlighten both sides.

^-^

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
We don't mind at all, invite everyone you want.

However, I have to address a misconception you mentioned. i said mentioned because everyone seems to have it, not just you. Link, while he most certainly can be played like in SSBB, he must not be played the same. One of the reasons Link has been struggling so much as of late is precisely people trying to play him the same as in Brawl instead of focusing on his new capabilities. For example, in Brawl we could not approach nor play melee/aggro, we had to spam and camp. now, we still spam but we don't camp anymore. We can play aggro and melee, in fact, we have to or else we're limiting our own game. Granted, you can't go full aggro against a sheik or diddy because you'll get bodied, but you should play solely at keep away as before. This is a new game for everyone, and as such every char needs to develop a new meta. If you're playing Link as if this was Brawl, you're doing it wrong.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Thanks for clearing that up. Excellent. Very well, then. I shall call upon my fellow Ikes right now.

Maybe users from both sides could even play against one another for those that are lacking knowledge or experience in this MU. ^-^

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Ike main Here

Now I rarely face good Links, but I'm a pretty good Link so...

One of Ike's staples is his eruption edgeguard (against characters like Pit, Rosalina, Lucario, CPT Falcon, Fox, Falco, and so on), however, it won't work as well on a good Link who doesn't recover low, since he has bombs and a boomerang and a tether. If pushes Link too far, or if you miss ur bomb, or are too far, you can pretty much consider that stock gone. Conversely, I can't think of any exploits Link has against Ike off stage.

It can be very difficult for Ike to get in (obviously), unless your shielding is perfect, and you don't fall for any traps Link makes. On FD, its a struggle, but on BF and other platform stages, Ike can approach easier, but hell loose a ton of damage.

The thing is this, if Ike hits Link, with grab or dtilt, or nair, Link could be put in a horrible position.
If Link hits Ike, Ike just has to come back. Even at kill %, Link imo lacks kill options.

Ikes main weakness is his ability to get juggled. How well can Link juggle? Not too well.

It all depends on the skill of the players though in this matchup. A Link that understands his weaknesses at close range is a scary one. An Ike that is very cautious when going in, and faithfully shield projectiles is equally scary.

Overall. its even, and very dependent on the skill of the players.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Spam projectiles, keep him away from you. Avoid his wind-up attacks and you should be good. There's a lot of ways to get away from Ike. He's quick, but attacks slow. Try to mix it up against Ike though, because if you spam smash attacks and keep missing, Ike can punish and kill you pretty quick. IMO Ike was a worse matchup for Link and Toon Link in Brawl than he is now.

Top Bottom