• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[MU] Duck Hunt

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Well, I just had a very unpleasant experience in FG against a camp-happy DHD. When he wasn't using his NeutralB to keep his distance, he was pressuring with his SideB. When he wasn't doing that, he was trying to launch his can into me by camping behind it and either shooting it as it traveled forward or hit me.

I gotta say, it made it absurdly difficult to approach. Zair isn't too useful against his SideB, since by the time the claw hit him, I was getting a face full of Light Gun shots. I noticed that I tended to have a much easier time fighting him in the air instead of on the ground, as his SideB is pretty dang useless if you're under him. His aerials' hitboxes were tricky, though, but I think that will become more manageable when the matchup is more familiar.

The problem was getting him into the air in the first place. Even when I could jump over his SideB and NeutralB, I often found myself attacking his shield and leaving myself open to a grab. And sometimes I would then be thrown into the can I avoided and blow up anyway. Le sigh...

So, then, fellow heroes, what do?

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I say play the projectile war. Shoot arrows and bombs and boomerangs (and arrow-bombing) at him to try to get that little mug out of his comfort zone, then approach with bomb in hand to try to bait some Melee attacks out of him in order to punish. Wanna get him into the air? Bomb>Usmash ought to do the trick. That's how I imagine this MU playing out in my head, at least.

Last edited:

MagmarFire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MagmarFire
3DS FC
3737-9549-8452
Oh, I was, believe me. Oftentimes, we were both on opposite sides of the stage trying poke holes into each other, and most times, his specials outprioritized mine. Sadly, it feels like DHD outmatches Link when it comes to projectile DPS, so while we both built up damage, he was doing it that much more quickly.

It's possible I just need to shield more, but that does run the greater risk of getting grabbed. :/

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I'd say, powershield more (as in, run towards him while shielding) and use your projectiles to cancel his and cover your approach. Most DH I've played against spam and then try to roll away from you. Just spam as much as possible, but not camping him because he will win. Spam to cancel his spamming (boomerang/gale takes care of his side B as does a bomb) and when you get close enough he'll try to roll away or attack. Be ready to an attack by shield/grabbing or zairing him, and be ready to punish his rolls. He will only have those two options, and he'll approach you based on how you're approaching, so try to read his options to counter them.

The most important thing though, imh, is do not camp him because he will win due to dmg and range of his projectiles vs ours.

SpLSlick

Smash Cadet
NNID
SpLSlick
3DS FC
3540-1397-4329
When fighting against DHD, I found out that pummeling actually misses on him for some odd reason. Even if you mash or slow your pummeling down, there is always the chance that hit whiffs entirely =[

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
The most important thing though, imh, is do not camp him because he will win due to dmg and range of his projectiles vs ours.
This. The first time I came across a duck hunt dog I stubbornly dug my heels in and got blasted.

The next time I used approaching short hops with projectiles to cancel his projectiles and was able to beat him convincingly. I also found out during that fight that Link's shield deals with his projectiles nicely except for can, and it can even reflect that sometimes.

When fighting against DHD, I found out that pummeling actually misses on him for some odd reason. Even if you mash or slow your pummeling down, there is always the chance that hit whiffs entirely =[
Woah that's weird. Good to know

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
Projectile spamming is your friend. Pull a bomb. If he brings out the Can, hit it with your Boomerang. Side specials, your bomb cancels it. He'll be busy trying to reverse the Can that you've conveniently swiped back at him. This will give you the chance to slowly approach. Your Boomerang should have recharged by this point. If he pulls out a gunner, short hop Boomerang, it cancels the gunner. By this point, you should be over halfway across the stage (assuming this is FD). Repeat if necessary, or slowly jog towards him and let your shield take the shots.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I should note arrows break clay pigeons. And do not forget that it is difficult for the little doggie and bird to kill you, easy as it may be to damage Link. His only truly reliable kill moves before the higher damage percentages (140 or so) are the smashes, which have great range but are slow.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I rush the hell outta the mut and whack those pathetic cans that he found lying in the alley back at him.

My reason for rushing (besides being an aggressive Link) is simple... DH is a better camper and has access to stronger projectiles.

Last edited:
I disagree, our projectiles have greater range and can be considered 'fire and forget', while he has to manage his can and his projectiles, sans his down B, are lower range than ours.

We can certainly out camp him if we play properly.

TDF_Lewis

Smash Cadet
NNID
TDF_Lewis
3DS FC
4613-7345-1015
I agree with everyone about covering your approach with projectiles until you reach DH, and then a grab or utilt to knock them into the air where their projectiles are a lot less effective since the majority of DH players rely on spamming them.

Last edited:

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
On top of everything else, it doesn't take a whole lot to KO Duck hunt. Plus when he creates an opening, he is wide open to be punished. We can send him sailing pretty well.

TheGentleman

Smash Rookie
I feel like Duck Hunt cant outcamp us when it comes down to it. Bomb has so much projectile soak and i know for sure it beats out all of his projectiles. Also, due to Links wieght and Duck Hunt's poor KO power, you are going to benefit more if it comes to a drawn out porjectile camp war, because even when breaking even you come out on top. Also, Zair is a great tool to approach him when he is fishing for kills, because he is looking to shield one of your attack and probably go for Usmash/Dsmash. Lastly, because of Duck Hunt's very light weight Uthrow is going to KO much earlier for us, meaning we have a reliable decently easy to land KO move earlier than he will.

TheLilK98

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheLilK98
Like link7 said, Boomerang is a good counter for the can, it reverses the can's movement if you hit it right. I've made DHs shoot the can into themselves doing that. SH arrows or boomerangs take them by surprise and can help you rack up damage quick. Once you get close, it's game over for him.

Top Bottom