• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Traveler, Quote, for SM4SH DLC!! [Feel free to lend a vote!]

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
what we need to do is make Quote being in smash bros a REALLY popular idea. Then Sakurai would have no choice!

much harder than it sounds though.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I made Quote and Curly Mii Gunners (I'll upload pics when I have the chance). I think I gave both the rapid shot b neutral, missile side b, non punching damaging up b, and I gave Quote the bomb to simulate the fireball and Curly the PSI magnet to simulate the air bubble.

I also have random other Miis that I didn't make fighters, but found on some DeviantArt page: Balrog, Human Sue, Toroko, Jenka, and Booster I believe.

EDIT: It was shown that Captain Video was announced to be a trophy. Since Cave Story is arguably the most popular indie games on Nintendo, there is now a definite possibility of Quote being a trophy as well! Hype intensify!

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
This is actually months old, but it looks like Cave Story found it's way into another game again back in May.
Curly is the final unlockable character in 1001 Spikes. She got a slight redesign and uses her Machine Gun and the Booster 2.0 (which allows her to fly around like Quote could in the original game).
Her story also a pretty great joke tossed in there and a really cool ending.
Plus, her theme is a remixed variation of Mischievous Robot!

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
This is actually months old, but it looks like Cave Story found it's way into another game again back in May.
Curly is the final unlockable character in 1001 Spikes. She got a slight redesign and uses her Machine Gun and the Booster 2.0 (which allows her to fly around like Quote could in the original game).
Her story also a pretty great joke tossed in there and a really cool ending.
Also, her theme is a remixed variaion of Mischievous Robot!
She is, by far, the best character in that game. That booster breaks a lot of the platforming and I believe she's the only character who can run and shoot at the same time, which is very useful.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
She is, by far, the best character in that game. That booster breaks a lot of the platforming and I believe she's the only character who can run and shoot at the same time, which is very useful.
Cave Story game to strong.
I'd be fine if Nicalis keeps throwing Cave Story into their other ips, would help them get more of my money for sure. I'm legitimately considering purchasing this game just for Curly, haha.

So in other news, Cave Story's 10th Anniversary is in 16 days. I hope something is officially planned for it, even a picture celebrating it would be nice.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Cave Story game to strong.
I'd be fine if Nicalis keeps throwing Cave Story into their other ips, would help them get more of my money for sure. I'm legitimately considering purchasing this game just for Curly, haha.

So in other news, Cave Story's 10th Anniversary is in 16 days. I hope something is officially planned for it, even a picture celebrating it would be nice.
Cave Story game too stronk. Plz nerf it Daisuke.

But yeah, I'll probably wear my Quote and Curly shirt that day in celebration. It'd be a Saturday after all, so it'll be casual.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Regarding Cave Story Miis, it bothers me to no end that there's no Pokémon Trainer hat or even a pair of headphones as headgear. That would have doubled for Quote's hat and the ear things so nicely. Oh well, a good Curly Brace is still available.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Regarding Cave Story Miis, it bothers me to no end that there's no Pokémon Trainer hat or even a pair of headphones as headgear. That would have doubled for Quote's hat and the ear things so nicely. Oh well, a good Curly Brace is still available.
You'll either have to have a red-shirted Quote Mii wear a red hat by default, or have a black-shirted one wear the Mario cap. For the earpieces, you're gonna need to use the eyebrows.
I'll take some screenshots of my Quote and Curly on the Wii U version and share them here. Maybe even add some ideal Gunner movesets to fit the characters in the OP.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Cave Story is now 10 years old!!
Will anything happen for the anniversary??? Probably not!!

happy double digits game title that has more remakes than i can count <33

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Nicalis probably won't make one without Pixel allowance to do so. They may not even do more than publish the game, but it is possible he would allow help from them if decided to continue the franchise in some way.

The most common idea is for the second title to act as a prequel, lot of fan theories / speculation of what happened before Quote awoke in the cave. There's a lot of things that could be done for a prequel.
While a [Chronological] Sequel would have more freedom allowance put into it, you need to consider the three possible endings when developing it. So a prequel seems like a better way to go for the franchise. If that actually happens or not has yet to be seen, so far all Nicalis has done is do remakes and allow Cave Story related content into other indie titles (Bit.Trip and 1001 Spikes as a couple of notable examples).

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Apparently according to TV Tropes, "Pixel has confirmed that a sequel is very, very likely." It doesn't have a link and TV Tropes is by no means a credible source, but one can dream. I too hope it is a prequel.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Found this moveset while looking at the comments on the Mcleodgaming direct video:
Thought this shouldn't be going to waste:
I got an idea of a moveset for Quote from Cave Story in Smash.

Double Jump: Booster 0.8

A simple double jump.

Neutral B: Spur

This attack can fire rapid shots in succession and can be charged.

Side B: Blade Level 3

Quote fires his blade. This weapon is level 3, and you can see King on the projectile. It does great damage on enemies. If it hits, it will also hit all nearby enemies.

Down B: Bubline Level 3

Similar to Mega Man's Leaf shield, Quote will summon scattering bubbles that surround him and protect him. These bubbles don't go in a circle but in random directions. After a few seconds, the bubbles will start firing with a short range while new ones are made. So, the shield will still be activated while it is shooting. Like in the game, this will run out after being used for a while.

Up B: Machine Gun Level 3

On the ground, this will fire forward. It shoots really fast and you can hold the special button to make it rapid fire. You can even move while doing this. Although, like the Bubbline, it has a limited use. In the air, it will be fired downwards to propell Quote upwards. This is a great recovery that does damage at the same time.

Neutral A: Polar Star Level 1 (Finishing move is Level 3)

This attack has short range and is weak. However, it will not knock enemies back as much as the Machine Gun does. This enables quick attacks. The finishing move uses the level 3 Polar Star, and it can cause major knockback, just like with other characters.

Side Tilt: Fireball Level 3

This bounces just like Mario's. Pretty self explanatory. Three can be on screen at once.

Up Tilt: Fireball Level 3 (Upwards)

Cave Story fans may know that this weapon is very bad when used upwards. This weapon is affected by gravity, so after it is shot upwards, it comes back down. It can cause burning damage and it is short ranged (it goes a little bit above Quote's head, then falls). Three can be on screen at once.

Down Tilt: Missile Launcher Level 1

This attack has high smash power and can knock opponents back a lot at high percentages. It also does decent damage. It is not low ranged, but it isn't high ranged either. It is also slow and can easily be dodged.

Dash Attack: Booster 2.0

When this attack is executed, the joystick can be held in certain directions. This attack has a short starting lag period to help determine Quote's direction. While it does not deal damage, it can knock foes that hit it away.

Neutral Air: Whimsical Star

In Cave Story, this item can shield Quote and can hurt nearby enemies. In Smash, this attack is similar. When this attack is executed, stars will circle around Quote for an extended period of time, similar to Mario and Jigglypuff's neutral air.

Forward Air: Fireball Level 3

This is affected by gravity and is similar to Mario's fireballs. However, this attack lasts longer than on the ground.

Back Air: Bubbline Level 2

Behind him, Quote fires a barrage of bubbles for about 1.5 seconds. These are medium ranged.

Down Air: Nemesis (Varying Levels)

This attack is unique. Quote fires the Nemesis downwards, but the level of it varies. Level 1 does the least damage, level 2 does decent damage, and level 3 can unleash an awesome spike. Level 3 has a lower chance of appearing, though.

Up Air: Snake Level 3

Similar to Mega Man, Quote fires the Snake upwards to keep enemies in the air. This can go through walls.

Grab: Tow Rope

The tow rope is a secret item in the game Cave Story that is needed to unlock the secret ending. This attack makes quote whip out a rope with great range, similar to Link's grab.

Pummel: Polar Star Level 1

Quote grabs the opponent with one hand, and shoots the opponent with the other.

Up Throw:

Quote throws the enemy up and shoots the Spur, charged at Level 2.

Forward Throw:

Quote throws the enemy forward and shoots the enemy with the Missile Launcher Level 3. In Cave Story, this weapon makes Quote fire three missiles. In Smash, he does the same. When the enemy is hit by the third shot, they the get thrown in the direction of the throw.

Down Throw:

Quote slams the foe onto the ground, then the enemy flies upward. He then throws the Blade Level 2. Once it hits, it hits the foe multiple times and the foe is locked in place until the finishing blow throws the enemy down.

Back Throw:

In the game Cave Story, Quote gets an explosive to break down a door in Bushlands. In Smash, this throw makes Quote throw the enemy in the direction opposite of what he is facing. He then throws the explosive at the enemy, dealing a lot of damage.

Final Smash: Quote and Curly

In Cave Story, if you unlock the secret ending, you will find Curly, and you will use the tow rope to carry her. She helps you along the way in the final level in Hell, and she fires the Nemesis Level 1 in the direction opposite of the direction that Quote is facing. In Smash, Quote's Final Smash can make Curly ride Quote. Every time Quote fires a projectile, Curly will fire that same projectile in the opposite direction of that projectile. After a while, Curly will leave Quote and the Final Smash ends. Quote is unable to grab foes while Curly is with him.
It's by Sm'Oreo

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Something small, but Cave Story made it's Console Debut five years ago on the 22nd of March.
Nicalis tweeted that with a neat illustration of several of the characters in the game.

Cave Story 2 is probably a no show 5ever *sobs*

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Alright, BrainScratchComms are nearly done with Cave Story so I got interested, it's only a tenner on the eshop iirc.
A: Shoots with the Polar Star like Mega Man's A
Ftilt: Slashes with the Blade
Utilt: Whacks with the Polar Star
Dtilt: Shoots ground in front of him like Zamus DSmash
Nair: Spin in place
Fair: shoots a single shot
Bair: Shoots a Blade behind himself
Uair: uses the Rope as a whip
Dair: Polar Star shot, meteor smash
Usmash: Shoots the Machine Gun upwards like Mii Gunner Uair
Fsmash: Shoots out a Snake shot
Dsmash: Shoots shortrange spurts while breakdancing, lots of range
Grab: Uses the rope, can be used as tether
Pummel: Smacks with Polar Star
Fthrow: Shoots a Fireball that sends the foe flying
Bthrow: A reversed version of Bthrow
Uthrow: Throws upwards and shoots a Missle
Dthrow: Shoots with rapidfire Polar Star shots
B: Spur, essentially Thoron, but charges longer and no ammo
Side B: Shoots a Fireball, it bounces like Sheik's Side B but when it hits something it makes a fire pillar
Up B: Booster, Pikachu/Greninja Up B but slower, you can still use aerials
Down B: Energy Crystal, Grabs an Energy Crystal putting him to a higher level, increasing power. Can be done twice, takes a minute to use again
Final Smash: Super Missle Launcher, Quote becomes invincible and all attacks other than Booster shoot missles for a while, dealing little knockback but tons of damage
Taunt 1: Hovers with the Booster a few inches of the ground
Taunt 2: Juggles all weapons
Taunt 3: Grabs the Nemesis and sneers at it

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
So you can vote for who you'd like to see in Smash! Quote would be really cool right??
Everyone should vote for him right???? Everyone will vote for him right!?!?!?!?!?!/!??!!??!?!

Real talk though, if you want to vote for Quote go for it! I chose to vote for a character with a bigger following but I'll try to vote for Quote through another computer or something before October I promise.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Gunner is only a decent substitute if they add in a red cap that's not Mario.

we gon 2 riot

15 [イチゴ]

Smash Apprentice
NNID
15_bit
3DS FC
2019-9663-8659
For some reason I never found this using the Smashboards search feature, but good ol' google brought me here with "Mr Traveler Cave Story."

I like the fact that you put some thought into his moveset and all that, but something I would like to see is his weapon level mechanic implemented in Smash.

I imagine Quote's weapon level mechanic would work like this:

Lv 3 = Max damage and range to his (B) special moves while he is at 0% ~ 50% damage

Lv 2 = Reduced damage to his special moves from 51% ~ 99% damage

Lv 1 = Reduced damage and range to special moves from 100% ~ 999% damage

Despite his special moves becoming worse as he takes damage I imagined him having the Nemesis as his neutral special, which would only become better as he took damage.

Maybe the weapon level's mechanic would effectively change his playstyle from a long range zoner with poor KO options to a mid range rush down character with many KO options.

Regardless of the actual effect of weapon levels, it is such an important mechanic in Cave Story it's be a shame to not see it used on Qoute in Smash Bros.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I almost made a new Quote thread til I saw this. :laugh:

I'm here to put my support in for Quote to be a playable character. I'm extremely late on this and Quote prioritizes Rayman anyday- to me anyways. I'm gonna go ahead and start rallying for Quote support- borrowing that sig stamp. :4villager:

EDIT: Hey @ AEMehr AEMehr I got a favor to ask. First of all- great OP. But I was wondering if you could change the title. Saying, "vote for him I guess" isn't really appealing. It's your thread and I have no business telling you how to run it but I feel a more welcoming title would attract more attention. Just a thought. :4villager:

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Welcome Enderman and [イチゴ], I'm adding you two to the OP of supporters!
I like the fact that you put some thought into his moveset and all that, but something I would like to see is his weapon level mechanic implemented in Smash.

I imagine Quote's weapon level mechanic would work like this:

Lv 3 = Max damage and range to his (B) special moves while he is at 0% ~ 50% damage

Lv 2 = Reduced damage to his special moves from 51% ~ 99% damage

Lv 1 = Reduced damage and range to special moves from 100% ~ 999% damage

Despite his special moves becoming worse as he takes damage I imagined him having the Nemesis as his neutral special, which would only become better as he took damage.

Maybe the weapon level's mechanic would effectively change his playstyle from a long range zoner with poor KO options to a mid range rush down character with many KO options.

Regardless of the actual effect of weapon levels, it is such an important mechanic in Cave Story it's be a shame to not see it used on Qoute in Smash Bros.
I didn't make the moveset, it was by @ dettadeus dettadeus . Though I like the idea you've got in mind too in concept, I would imagine the best way to work it in is by having him upgrade rather than downgrade. It could work through gaining KOs and getting KO'd / Giving and Taking %. Maybe even knock out the "Doritos" out of other players and collect them!

EDIT: Hey @ AEMehr AEMehr I got a favor to ask. First of all- great OP. But I was wondering if you could change the title. Saying, "vote for him I guess" isn't really appealing. It's your thread and I have no business telling you how to run it but I feel a more welcoming title would attract more attention. Just a thought. :4villager:
Haha, I named it that because I feel like it's a fair assumption Quote isn't happening :U

Maybe I'll change it to something more appealing in a little bit.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
yea if you added the experience/level system it would make the most sense to have the exp fly out of opponents on hit, proportional to knockback maybe with a lot more popping out when you get KOs

i think it would overcomplicate an already complex moveset though.

god i dont even remember how long it's been since i made that moveset lol

edit: lmao that moveset is still based on crusade stuff from like 0.8 era wowwwww

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Is it weird that I can easily see Quote being chosen as part of an indie DLC pack along side Shantae? (East Vs West Indie edition)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Well that's not weird if you're thinking of that being a possibility. Quote kinda is the only Japanese Indie that people really seem to know about (or at least, one of a small few) and Shantae has somewhat of a notable Japanese following.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm going to be ALL in on quote.

He's my most wanted pipe-dream-turned-possible-from-polling character there is. (Sorry Banjo)

Cave Story really needs more love. Shovel Knight is thrown around a lot, but people need to remember the ORIGINAL indie game. :p

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
yea thats true , i meant outside smashboards
No idea. What, do you think I look through gamefaqs? *shudders*

The only thing I've notably seen is one guy I'm following on tumblr is really estaticestatic about it.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
yea thats true , i meant outside smashboards
Just a small amount of people saying "#voteforquote" on social media websites. It's nothing big, but hey we should probably still let Nintendo know that we consumers are fans of the Cave Story IP. Maybe they'll generate interest in seeing more of it on their consoles too.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I wonder if cave story 2 is announced by the time the poll is over Quote will get more votes for smash...

Ah, well it's possible I guess.

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I wanna support Quote as well! Though I don't have extensive exposure to Cave Story, I was always aware of its existence and whatnot, ah well~

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
You guys are pathetic. I'm such a better supporter than all you that I made my own Quote moveset thread that got closed bacause some butthole came on the thread and got sad that a character that wasn't Wolf was being voted for (and probably because this thread exists already).

PUT ME ON THAT DAMN LIST

D

Deleted member

You know while I haven't really watched cave story(even though I want to) add me to the support list for quote. Maybe as I look into the game I'll come up with good reasons. I think.. Right now I like the character art. I'll come back later and see more.

Top Bottom