• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mr. Traveler, Quote, for SM4SH DLC!! [Feel free to lend a vote!]

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
well, if voices are not a problem, curly could be an alt.

as I said, I'm biased towards Sue though
Well I think Curly has to be a part of Quote's Final Smash. But maybe if Curly is in an alt, the Curly in Quote's final smash could become quote??

Also Quote literally has no voice since he never speaks ever except one line after being incredibly surprised. So I'd imagine Quote wouldn't make any vocal sounds if he did get in.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
So I'd imagine Quote wouldn't make any vocal sounds if he did get in.
hm, good point, didn't really think of it like that.

yeah, curly NEEDS to make some sort of appearance if quote does, if not it would be crazy.

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
Balrog should be in the game before this quote character does. Balrog needs to get his fight money!

Wha...what do you mean he's not the same Balrog from Street Fighter? The only Balrog I know of is the boxer who is so hasty to get rid of some tapes of mine, and I was told he is in Cave Story.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Balrog should be in the game before this quote character does. Balrog needs to get his fight money!

Wha...what do you mean he's not the same Balrog from Street Fighter? The only Balrog I know of is the boxer who is so hasty to get rid of some tapes of mine, and I was told he is in Cave Story.
I thought Balrog was a masked shirtless spanish ninja with a passion for beauty.

This is the Balrog we're talking about though.

Delicious Tears

Smash Journeyman
I thought Balrog was a masked shirtless spanish ninja with a passion for beauty.

This is the Balrog we're talking about though.
That would be Vega. I heard rumors he has a Japanese cousin named Balrog however. Then again, I heard rumors that Balrog has a Japanese cousin named Mike Bison, and there's rumors that I have a Japanese cousin named Vega. What's going on here?

Oh, I wasn't told this Balrog in Cave Story was a different person. He probably doesn't need fight money though.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
That would be Vega. I heard rumors he has a Japanese cousin named Balrog however. Then again, I heard rumors that Balrog has a Japanese cousin named Mike Bison, and there's rumors that I have a Japanese cousin named Vega. What's going on here?

Oh, I wasn't told this Balrog in Cave Story was a different person. He probably doesn't need fight money though.
Maybe these Japanese cousins know each other. Those names sound fishy to me...

No not really, Balrog just really needs to get Misery to stop making him clean up.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
the freaking Sacred Grounds or whatever is REALLY difficult. man, maybe someday I can finish it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so, anyways let's talk about the music. there's obviously moonsong as well as the title screen.

there's this I want:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I like gestation, too. Its a good track. Dunno if it would fit well in smash.
I think it could work, but it'd probably be more like the generic cave song for the Outer Wall (like Environment Noises on Distant Planet).

A song I forgot to mention was The Balcony. This is one of the few songs that I think is best on the Wii version of the game. Probably one of my favorites from the game, it's just very calming.

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Decided to give this a revival, so I must say, from that one demo I played a long while back ago, I support him.

Also thought you guys might like this.
you only played a demo? the game's free, you know. you should pick it up sometime, it's relatively short if you don't go for all the secrets.

also that remix isn't bad. it's got a Mario Galaxy vibe to it.

also REALLY glad this thread's bumped.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Actually, it'd be a repeat (or at least an outcome similar to that) of Ness (back in Smash 64) if Quote was added to the roster for SSB4. I agree that it most likely won't happen, but it's fun to speculate.

Regarding Ness: If I remember correctly, not many people (especially in the Western Hemisphere) knew about Ness when he was discovered to be on the roster for Smash 64. Not too long afterwards, the Mother series exploded in popularity within the Western Hemisphere. Ness was essentially exposed to a greater audience.

This could happen to Quote, if he were added into SSB4. Now wouldn't that be a fun thought? Almost as if it could be fateful...

I also remember hearing Miyamoto (among other Nintendo officials) talking about improving their support for Indie games. What better way to promote Indie games than adding someone like Quote to a high-traffic game like Smash Bros? Plus, it's good business sense: more recognition for Quote means (potentially) more support for Daisuke Amaya (the single man who developed Cave Story in its entirety) + Nintendo via fans buying the already-existing ports/iterations of Cave Story on Nintendo consoles.

Theoretically, Quote fits all requisites for becoming a Smash combatant. The only two things weighing him down are his current support (not enough, potentially), and the fact that Cave Story is a 3rd party game (albeit a 3rd party of one man; such a decision revolving Quote's inclusion would be much easier to conclude than a character from Sega or Capcom, as those 3rd parties are significantly larger).

I don't have any move-set suggestions for Quote, but I can guarantee that he could easily have one of the, if not, THE single most versatile and unique move-set in Smash Bros. history, at least to this point. I'm not speaking from an obsessive fan reaction here, either. I don't do that often, because I consider it pointless (other than for the enjoyment of being evangelical). For instance, I could imagine his recovery involving the Booster V 2.0; the launch and reaction time nearly instantaneous, moving on an a "x-y axis", being able to create vertical/horizontal zigzags of varied lengths and heights not only to recover, but to also potentially dodge/confuse opponents, or re-position yourself on the map (basically a mechanism for strategy, given its restrictions, as it cannot last forever, obviously). The Booster V. 2.0's main downside would be the control of its speed and near-instantaneous directional changes; as it takes time to master the Booster V. 2.0 in Cave Story, it should require the player some time to master in Smash Bros. High risk, high reward. And that's just his recovery alone...

I do, however, have a stage suggestion. While I agree that the Outer Wall is truly Iconic to Cave Story, I must submit for approval the idea of The Island's Core. There's a lot you can do here. Take a look at this video:

Firstly, this isn't my gameplay xD

Anyways, this stage has potential, specifically focusing on the part with the battle. The Core could be a stage hazard with periodic boss appearances (balanced to where its not overwhelming, of course, but it needs to be entertaining at the same time), where the characters would have to subdue it to gain some sort of an advantage. Perhaps the character to earn the "last hit" could automatically, and temporarily, receive Curly's Air Tank, granting them the ability to breathe underwater, thus negating the stage's second mechanic: the rising/lowering water level. The water could, perhaps, itself NOT be treated as a "swimming mechanic", but as a "slowing down mechanic", as depicted in the video (but probably not THAT slow, just a little faster to where it hinders, but doesn't become a nuisance). Of course, prolonged exposure underwater will cause your character to drown and self destruct, regardless of who's hitting him/her/it. The wind mechanic that pushes everyone to the left wall (which can be fought, with struggle) is caused by the boss; if the boss has been subdued, or is inactive, this mechanism won't periodically occur. As for the stage boundaries, the left wall needs to remain not-passable, because of the wind mechanic. However, the characters can be launched upward and/or to the right to be KO'd. In other words, the ceiling + right wall need to be background/foreground so that anyone can reach the out-of-bounds in those regions. Also, if needed, the part of the upper-left wall that angles upward-diagonally to the right and towards the ceiling could be passable as well, allowing character(s) knocked in that particular direction to be Star KO'd, as per ceiling KO's.

That said, it'd be unjust to not include many of the stages from Cave Story in Smash Bros., if Quote makes it. That's just how enjoyable each stage in Cave Story really is.

As for the music...

Heh, just include every piece from the game, at least in some shape or form. Make epic/beautiful orchestrations/compositions/remixes of each song for use in-game. Also, include the original OST as well for variance. The music from Cave Story is just that good, lively, atmospheric, and enjoyable, that not including every song from its OST would be even more unjust than my previous statement regarding the stages.

Here's a song to consider:

And another:

In short, yes, count me as a supporter for Quote in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I like the ideas you've got here RandomCities, welcome to the forums by the way! I've also added you to the Quote of Quote Supporters

Although, I wouldn't start feeling really good about Quote in Smash until we see Indie Assist Trophies.
...Now that would be something to see.

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I support. Quote is the one and only indie character who would ever have a chance of showing up in Smash Bros. He's more or less the "Mario" of indie games in many people's eyes. Cave Story was the birth of the indie games revolution for a lot of people, and every one of its remakes have been Nintendo exclusives save for the PC port of Cave Story +. All that said, no way in hell is he getting in. But he would be an extremely welcome surprise, and a sign of good faith in the indie community by Nintendo. I'm bewildered why nobody has attempted a good Brawl Hack moveset for him.

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I'm also curious about this picture Sakurai posted a while back:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2edd57e90cdd26655d6db21c8769352d/tumblr_mzouaxjRom1sntotwo1_1280.png

It's probably a 3DS stage, since it apparently doesn't have anything to with a story mode...

Has anyone tried to compare this to Cave Story 3D's "Bushlands" level? Or has someone already delved into this and I am missing something...?

From what I've seen, no one knows what this stage is about. If it is related to Cave Story (which I honestly doubt), might it simply be a re-design of the "Bushlands" stage to be more Smash-friendly?

EDIT: Never mind, it's part of the 3DS Smash Run stage... I took a look at the whole stage again in the recent Direct.

Ironically enough, the Smash Run stage involves a floating island xD

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'm also curious about this picture Sakurai posted a while back:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/2edd57e90cdd26655d6db21c8769352d/tumblr_mzouaxjRom1sntotwo1_1280.png

It's probably a 3DS stage, since it apparently doesn't have anything to with a story mode...

Has anyone tried to compare this to Cave Story 3D's "Bushlands" level? Or has someone already delved into this and I am missing something...?

From what I've seen, no one knows what this stage is about. If it is related to Cave Story (which I honestly doubt), might it simply be a re-design of the "Bushlands" stage to be more Smash-friendly?
It definitely has to be Smash Run.

But it would be neat to see some aspects from Cave Story put into Smash Run. The entire Metroidvania style of it already seems to encompass a similar feel to Cave Story, but it probably wasn't directly inspired by it.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I never got very far in the game

I keep dying to some boss thing and the save point before it is quite a bit away so I have to make it through every time to get to the boss

So I just gave up and played a different game

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I never got very far in the game

I keep dying to some boss thing and the save point before it is quite a bit away so I have to make it through every time to get to the boss

So I just gave up and played a different game
At least you were honest.

Out of curiosity, did it happen to be Monster X?

I had a lot of trouble with him in my first playthrough of Cave Story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom