• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mortality eSports in Collaboration with ECO Vapez is hosting their first MD/VA Tournament!

ChuDat

Smash Master
Mortality eSports and EcoVapez Smashfest and Zenith Livestream!

www.vigilantecoffee.com
www.ecovapez.com

Mortality eSports in collaboration with Eco Vapez is hosting their first tournament in MD/VA! First and foremost, go to Zenith. If you can't make it, we'll have a stream of Zenith for everyone to watch :). Unfortunately, I will be unable to go to Zenith because I'm going to Bolivia on the 3rd of August. I'm not running this tournament! Come hang out :).

Date: August 2nd, 2014

Address:
Vigilante Coffee Company
4327 Gallatin St.
Hyattsville ,MD 20781

Game:
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Melee Singles, Doubles, Mid Tier)

Schedule:
11:00am Venue Opens
12:00pm Doubles, Melee Mid and Singles Signups Begins
1:00pm Doubles Round Robin Begins
2:30pm Doubles Round Robin complete
3:00pm Melee Mid Tier Bracket Begins
4:30pm Melee Mid Tier complete
5:00pm Melee Singles Signups Begin
6:30pm Melee Singles complete
8:00pm Event Ends
*All times are tentative

Prices:
$5 Venue fee (First 8 gamecubes/wiis with melee will recieve a $5 refund at the end).
$10 Entry fee for Melee Singles
$5 Entry for Doubles (per person) and Mid Tier Singles

Rules:
These rules apply to all events, specific events below. If you have any questions about the rules, please ask beforehand.
General Gameplay:
- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer
- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the winner is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You can only switch controller ports on your counterpick.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller).
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. Your opponent will need to agree if you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match.
- Stalling is prohibited.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character.
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules to determine the winner.
- Coaching during a match is prohibited.
- You cannot re-select the last stage you won a match on.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.
- ALL sets are best 2 of 3 games, until the following matches: Winner's Semi Finals, Loser's Quarter Finals, Loser's Semi Finals, Winner's Finals, Loser's Finals, and Grand Finals. (So, anything 5th place and above.)
- In the event of a game running to time, the winner is determined first by stocks, then % if the stocks are tied.
- ALL games have a ledge grab limit of 50. This only comes into play if a match goes to time. If the match goes to time, and one of the players have exceeded the LGL, than the other player automatically wins regardless of the original outcome. If neither player or both players have, then normal tie breaking procedures take precedence.

- Mid Tier Characters:
Ganondorf, Mario, Luigi, Dr. Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Roy, Link, Samus, Sopo, Young Link, Zelda, Mewtwo, Ness, Yoshi, G&W, Bowser, Kirby, and Pichu
- Switching to Sheik in a mid tier match (incidentally or on purpose) is a 1 stock penalty (same as pause rule)

Set Procedure:
1. Character selection
2. Stage strike 1-2-X-1 (X representing the amount of stages per game, as P:M has more starters)
3. Play Game 1
4. Winning player announces ban stage (3 bans for PM) for the set
5. Loser of previous match announces next match's stage
6. Winner of previous match chooses characters
7. Loser of previous match chooses characters
8. Play next game
9. Rinse and repeat 4-8 if set goes to a third game.

Tie Breaking:
Note: Tiebreaking is only initiated if the game started a sudden death round upon completion. Otherwise, the game declared winner is the winner of the match.
1. Winner is determined by highest stock count then lowest percent.
2. Verify neither player violated the Mortality LAN rule (if the match went to time)
3. 1 stock, 3 minute match is played as a tiebreaker match. The winner of this match wins the game. If there is a tie in this match, proceed to step 4.
4. A second 1 stock, no time limit match is played. If a simultaneous death is initiated (such as swallocide) in this match, the initiator loses the match. There is no tie for this match, it is play until you win.

Conduct Rules:
- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol are banned from Mortality LAN tournaments. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll ask you to leave.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result in a penalty at our discretion.
- We are not liable for lost/stolen properties so please don’t bring anything valuable to the event.
- TTL Rule: You must register for the event in person, on-time. Once the registration deadline is closed, no further entries will be permitted.
- Collusion of any kind (asking, intentionally throwing matches yourself, "agreeing to split", etc.) is subject to instant disqualification from this event, forfeiture of all prizes, banning of said players from stream matches and a potential 1 event suspension at our discretion.

Melee ONLY rules:
- 1 stage ban
- Starter Stages
Yoshi's Story
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Final Destination
Dream Land 64
- Counterpick stages
Pokemon Stadium
- Doubles Stage Changes
Kongo Jungle 64 is a CP
Pokemon Stadium is a starter
Fountain of Dreams is Banned

Prize Payouts:
Singles:
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Doubles:
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Mid Tier Singles:
1st: 53%
2nd: 26%
3rd: 13%
4th: 8%

Last edited:

vbwood07

Smash Rookie
I was just wondering why they didn't include PM at the tourney, because I know PM is getting really popular at Xanadu and your a really good PM Kirby

ChuDat

Smash Master
We thought that riding the hype from EVO would be a good idea since EVO had 970 Melee players. Also, a lot of people in MD/VA are against having both at the same tournament, so we chose Melee.

Last edited:

ChuDat

Smash Master
The Prince: SDJ - Good idea! I'll talk about it with the tournament hoster to see if he'll add SOPO :). EDIT: I got the ok from the TO, Sopo is in!

Rags - See you there man!

Last edited:

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Good stuff doing a Melee-only tournament in MDVA to complement the PM-only ones we've been having lately. I'll be at Zenith this weekend but I'll try to make it to the next one.

ChuDat

Smash Master
I have a Gamecube I can bring this weekend, but I have no CRTs I can bring.
That's awesome!! We'll have a CRT for that, thank you!

ItalianSheathe - Our stream might be here www.twitch.tv/ChuDatz but you should also check out the live stream on Saturday at Zenith streamed by either Vgbootcamp or Clashtournaments!

twitch.tv/vgbootcamp
twitch.tv/clashtournaments

Edit: Updated the title to include our collaboration with Evo Vapez!

Last edited:
Top Bottom