• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MM me at KTAR6... in Brawl-

NNID
Budget_Player
So I'm apparently going to KTAR 6, and I figure I should try and flex my muscles in a game where I'm fairly solid: Brawl Minus. Think you can beat me at my own game? I'll be accepting MMs from pretty much everyone up to $5, maybe higher, using version 2.1.1. Anyone game?

[collapse=Ideal rules for Brawl- (I'll negotiate on it):]
Brawl- 2.1.1
4 stocks, 8 minutes
Bo5+ (I'll go higher but I'd rather not go lower unless it's low stakes)
Standard selection procedure (ban, counterpick, winner character, loser character)
Sheik must wear a tag
Starter:
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Pokemon Stadium 2 (frozen)
-Yoshi's Island
-Lylat Cruise
Counterpick:
-Pokemon Stadium 1
-Dream Land 64
-Final Destination
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Siege
-Halberd-
-Frigate Orpheon
-Rainbow Cruise
Debatables (we can use these or not; they're either minus-specific or very quirky. Up to the person challenging me):
-Lavaville
-Wario Ware (Frozen)
-Rumble Falls+
-1337m
-Skyworld+ (bottom platform is unbreakable; upper platforms are just clouds)
-Port Town Aero Dive: Eternal Yoshi Edition (cars start killing around 100 instead of around 50)
-Yoshi's Island: Melee Minus[/collapse]

vs Ally ($5)
vs Delta-Cod ($?)
vs Boss ($5)
vs Zucco? (?)
vs Thiocyanide (?)
vs Lain ($5)

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Isn't that the game that is so broken that you can pull off 0 > death combos and traverse around the stage with such ease that you lose any feeling of self satisfaction that you would get from a more difficult game like Melee, Smash 64, Brawl, or any other successful fighting game in existence?

I'll pass.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Brawl and Smash 64
Successful fighting games

Nice try.

Man, if I was going to KTAR.. I would. If only you came to the Midwest... a lot of us play it here.

:phone:

napZzz

Smash Hero
you're such a troll i'm sure being ok at something makes you think you can beat compotent people l0l

up to 5$ BIG SPENDER. You'd think someone who's one of the best would be playin for stakes a little higher....lmao

NNID
Budget_Player
you're such a troll i'm sure being ok at something makes you think you can beat compotent people l0l
Well, I'm definitely top 3 in Germany (when not drunk off my ****), and Germany does enjoy this game a fair bit. Plus, you know, having overseen development kinda helps.

up to 5$ BIG SPENDER. You'd think someone who's one of the best would be playin for stakes a little higher....lmao
Well, first off, you ever been to europe? Never seen an MM go over 5 euros, very rarely over 3... I mean, I know the dollar is in the crapper compared to the Euro, but I'm not betting more than a McDonald's menu on a set. :glare: Secondly, you know where that "budget" part of my name comes from? First off, I'm free; second off, I'm poor as ****. Just going to KTAR6 breaks the bank on my end, more or less, especially because I have no solid income whatsoever.

I consider myself one of the best because I don't know anyone who regularly beats me offline and because I know the game inside and out. I've heard that there are some players in NY/NJ who are really scary good (like Nairo), and so part of the idea here is to prove myself wrong, and show that I'm actually not as good as I thought just because I can competently pilot about half the cast. GTFO and stop trolling, or step up to the plate.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
You're stupid and misinformed.
I've played Brawl Minus plenty of times.

The reason Smash 64 is still fun, despite some effortless 0 > death combos, is because there is still an element of spacing to the game.

When you have moves like Peach or Wolf's side b, that fun spacing element is removed in favour of just zipping around the stage spamming until you get a lucky hit.

NNID
Budget_Player
I've played Brawl Minus plenty of times.

The reason Smash 64 is still fun, despite some effortless 0 > death combos, is because there is still an element of spacing to the game.

When you have moves like Peach or Wolf's side b, that fun spacing element is removed in favour of just zipping around the stage spamming until you get a lucky hit.
Newsflash: in higher level play, this simply does not happen. If you can't punish those moves, you're bad.

Anyways, is anyone game for this?

theunabletable

Smash Lord
okay if you're getting hit by a Peach spamming side B in Brawl minus, you probably haven't tried anything to beat it lol. Peach is actually a ridiculously spacing oriented character, and playing her in Brawl minus has hugely increased my spacing ability in like every game (OoT, Brawl, melee, neopets games, etc)

like... that's not that different from someone saying that Brawl has no spacing because you can just nado around as MK until you get a lucky hit, or something.

TL?

Smash Ace
Isn't that the game that is so broken that you can pull off 0 > death combos and traverse around the stage with such ease that you lose any feeling of self satisfaction that you would get from a more difficult game like Melee, Smash 64, Brawl, or any other successful fighting game in existence?

I'll pass.
Someone who takes brawl seriously is really going to tell me minus is unplayable? Ironically vBrawl is the more broken game. Minus has some long combos(no 0-death is inescapable). But brawl is full of inescapable chaingrabs, jab locks, endless camping and planking, stiff movement, and overpowered defense. Brawl is a game where grab release is a better option than most throws.

Minus is 1,000x better than vbrawl.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Someone who takes brawl seriously is really going to tell me minus is unplayable? Ironically vBrawl is the more broken game. Minus has some long combos(no 0-death is inescapable). But brawl is full of inescapable chaingrabs, jab locks, endless camping and planking, stiff movement, and overpowered defense. Brawl is a game where grab release is a better option than most throws.

Minus is 1,000x better than vbrawl.
lol at no 0> Death is inescapable.
Have you played Wolf, Falco, Falcon? Even King D3 can 0> death in the right circumstances. I'm sure Diddy can too, though I haven't played him that much to find out.

Grab releases are only effective in very specific match-ups, throws are much better in most games.

Though I do enjoy Brawl minus, but not when playing for an extended period of time, as it just gets boring, as the characters don't have as much depth compared to Brawl or Melee. (combos =! depth)

NNID
Budget_Player
Wolf was nerfed so that you can usually DI out of the more deadly combos, Falco can't 0-death without reading the **** out of you/you missing a fairly considerable number of techs, you can almost always DI down->tech out of Falcon's combos (plus approaching with him is a *****), and DDD can't really do more than his 30-50 damage B&Bs if your DI isn't crap. You're wrong and probably bad at DI. :glare:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I'm mad as hell that I'm overlooked as a hitter in Brawl- for this region. I believe I won the first event for it here, and did well in it at Apex (losing to like, pre-balanced Weegee and Pikachu I believe). Haters. :glare:

Anyways, I'll take you up on this. Amount to be decided, since I'll need to check my own funding the day of.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I'm mad as hell that I'm overlooked as a hitter in Brawl- for this region. I believe I won the first event for it here, and did well in it at Apex (losing to like, pre-balanced Weegee and Pikachu I believe). Haters. :glare:

Anyways, I'll take you up on this. Amount to be decided, since I'll need to check my own funding the day of.
didnt you lose to me? I lost to wolf and pika

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
didnt you lose to me? I lost to wolf and pika
I think I did. I actually remember having the HARDEST TIME killing you in the final game of the set, and you lived really long every stock throughout. Damn you have good DI. @_@

I do know for a fact I lost to one of the really unbalanced characters at the time though. Probably something in losers. I fought like, 3 Pikachus in a row, too. :glare:

Hey BPC, does Yoshi actually have a Fair hitbox in the new build? I was messing around with it the other day and I swear I just couldn't hit with it.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Is the hitbox small? I only hit with it once, and never successfully hit with it again, even when I tried spacing it badly and I was right up against my opponent. I eventually just dropped it and went for Nairs or something, because my head was going right through people. =/

But man, it was great when it did massive damage. I miss that Fair. =(

NNID
Budget_Player
BPC: Ghostbone and I aren't alone with our opinions on Brawl Minus:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13156361&postcount=26
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=13157161&postcount=27

Your game is not fit for competitive play because it is too easy.
Yes, which is why the "best" are incredibly inconsistent against the worse players. You aren't alone in your opinion, but that still doesn't make you right. Brawl- is easy on the surface. But to claim that you can just win by "spamming broken moves" is ********. The only character who really has "easy" 0-deaths is also a character who struggles at approaching: CF. And even then it's often stage/DI-based. You're full of ****.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Obviously some characters are easier to play, that is in every damn game, and is part of balancing. The thing is, that even these characters have learning curves.

I think fighting game balancing has 2 ways of succeeding, one way is like Street Fighter. Everyone has limited options, so even the smallest action becomes a mindgame.
Then there's Brawl-, in which there are tons of options, thus everything becomes a mindgame. Pretty much everything you do can be punished in one way or another. Sure, once you get that hit in, a combo will often last for a while, especially with combo intensive characters, but with DI even that can be limited a lot.

To finish it off, one of Brawl- game philosophies is that character counterpicking is a big aspect. I don't think I need to elaborate on that.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I have to ****ing MM you, no question.

I won't even touch Minus before I get there, either.

Top Bottom