• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind Over Meta #28 - "The Scrubfactor"

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Mind Over Meta is a weekly series of articles on /r/SSBPM, the Project M subreddit. Written by several different authors, this series covers many of the mental aspects of playing smash and other subjects related specifically to Project M. This week user orangegluon wrote about "The Scrubfactor". The original article can be found here, and to read the rest of the series check out the Mind Over Meta Archive. Sit down, read, and enjoy.

---​

Hey all, we’re back this week with yet another Mind Over Meta. The last few MoMs have dealt with lofty or very broad topics in nature, so today I want to talk about a relatively specific scenario.

Almost every one of you will be in this situation at some point or another; because Smash attracts a huge audience, that audience will be quite diverse in a lot of respects, including skill level, meaning you are bound to encounter low level or “casual” players in tournaments at least once. However, facing these players can sometimes be frustrating or confusing, and I’ve had to deal with this stage of players a lot, having various friends and peers who enjoyed Project M but had no interest in learning “the game proper.”

So this week, I want to talk about so-called “scrubs” and their dynamics.

The Surgeon’s Clothes

When games are accessible to a variety of skill levels and a lot of different strategies, two things inevitably happen in tournaments:
  1. low level players join in
  2. low-effort strategies appear.

This is all fine and natural. Every player starts somewhere, so everyone destined to be a champion will start off clinging onto whatever advantages they can get. You can’t fault someone for being new to the game and not understanding everything. We all started off by spamming Fsmash and Thunder, and somehow doing OK enough. However, even then, I’ve found that scrub players who use superficially effective low-level strategies can really cause headaches for mid-level or even high-level players, for a fair number of reasons.

But first, I’d like to lay out some ground. What exactly is a scrub? I asked Bo, a friend who is a top ping pong maven (but slowly learning Smash), about what it means to play against “suboptimal players,” or as I’d call them, “scrubs,” in table tennis:

A "suboptimal" player is someone who plays a style or plays a stroke that is very different from the "textbook" styles of play. These styles are usually considered styles that are almost guaranteed to fail at the highest levels of professional play but can be extremely tricky to play against at lower levels... Usually these "suboptimal" players are very strong in one area but are very weak in a lot of other areas, but that one strong area ends up causing a lot of trouble for those who don't know how to play against that style.

It seems to me that these “suboptimal” or scrub players are a commonly discussed aspect of competitive ping pong, much more than in the Smash scenes. However, they still often influence the outcomes of Smash tournaments, particularly at the middle placings.

Note that being scrubby is a bad thing in the sense that it leads to a hard ceiling. As we just heard, scrub strategies are doomed at higher levels of play. However, every player deserves respect as a human and should be treated as such. In fact, that could be a key to beating them...

So we know about what scrubs are now, but what is it that makes them scrubs?

Scrubbing Til It’s Clean

Before we can tackle a scrub player in tournament, we need to find out what makes them scrubby. Usually this boils down to just a few things.

Primarily, the player does not understand the idea of Smash’s fundamentals; spacing, extended (non-automatic) combos, neutral game, and approaches are not concepts they understand thoroughly. Further, they usually have little to no technical prowess, and terms like w!#edash, L-c$&#el, or R%#erse L$#@ehop B@!r might even be curses in more extreme cases.

Second, the player is overly reliant on a few moves, almost always some relatively high power move with an easy input, and typically will spam this move in a game, maybe even in inappropriate scenarios. I call these tactics “degenerate,” in that they give a lot of reward for low effort, and every reader is guilty of trying to use them at some point. You’re immediately thinking of Marth’s F-smash, but other moves are easy to spam: Link’s up-B, Yoshi’s side-B, Samus’s grab, rolling, the list goes on. In Project M, this list is exaggerated further than in Melee because moves are toned with viability at maximum levels of play in mind, rather than with care to superficial strategies.

Third, the player is algorithmic. When faced with neutral, they might always try to dash attack in or use a high-mobility special, camp and spam projectiles, or when in close quarters they might spam one move repeatedly or with some frequency or trigger, hoping they might hit. When recovering, they might always just land on stage without thought of where and when, or when edgeguarding they might throw out the same neutral air every time.

Note that everything I said of scrub players could arguably be said of greats like Mew2king, iPunchKidz, Sethlon, and every other top player; losses at the highest level in large part come from mistakes, and mistakes could be from not understanding the game 100%, feeling pressured and using suboptimal moves, being predictable, or some other error. I don’t say this to call out top players, but to note that every player has weaknesses, and that means every player is still trying to shed their scrubby habits, probably till the end of their life. This includes you.

Scrub Your Mind Clean

These scrub characteristics I mentioned, on paper, are very easy to beat. However, that fact becomes psychologically draining when you make mistakes. “This guy is terrible at the game! All he does is spam Squirtle’s Withdraw endlessly. I should have cleaned him up ages ago.” You get frustrated easily that you lost to a worse, scrubby player. But Bo has a gentle reminder:

Part of not getting frustrated is to keep in mind that if you do end up losing, you lost to the better player.

In the long-term, one would need to first develop strong fundamentals and consistency. The reason why "suboptimal" players lose at the highest levels is because the best players in the world are just not volatile enough to lose to "suboptimal" players on a consistent basis.

If you are not consistent in your play, it is probable that you are not much different from your opponent in that you aren’t experienced enough. The top players in any sport are top because they are consistent winners. In the Melee scene, this was the reason the “Top 5 God” players a few years ago earned their titles; they only lost to each other with any consistency, so even if players occasionally lost to less notable players, it was usually not a lasting loss.

The solution here in becoming consistent and fundamentally solid is just to play more, both at home “in the lab” and in tournament.

Bo continues:

Another long-term strategy would be just to play against those styles a lot during practice to familiarize oneself come competition time.

Learning the tactics ahead of time goes a long way in tournament results. It may seem like a waste of time to learn to counter “bad” strategies, but if you refuse to spend time learning, it is very easy to be blindsided by such a strategy. Indeed, many high-level Melee players will focus on high-tier matchups only to suddenly face and struggle against low tier characters in tournaments. Similarly, poor or scrubby strategies can easily catch you off-guard. Preparing ahead of time mitigates your vulnerability to scrubby strategies. However, you cannot prepare all the time:

In the short-term (ie. you are just about to play a "suboptimal" player in the next match), one has to keep in mind that every style has a strength and a weakness. For example, while suboptimal players in table tennis usually aren't super aggressive, they have strong ball control and so they tend to get a lot of shots back.

Additionally they usually give players a variety of awkward spins that they aren't used to dealing with, and they place these shots at very uncomfortable spots. It baits medium-level players or weaker to play extremely well, in order to win. This "suboptimal" style creates a lot of unforced errors, which tries to frustrate the opponent. However, the weakness that a lot of "suboptimal" players have is that they don't have a lot of power and so one would need to use that knowledge to one's advantage.

This immediately reminds me of all the low level players that would beat me with stage control and constant rolling. I simply couldn’t land a hit, and opponents would just shield grab or roll away any time I tried, inching out advantages a little at a time. These scrubs would control the pace and flow of battle. It is exactly the scenario Bo describes, where a scrub lets opponents make unforced errors and defeat themselves in frustration. To keep up, you have to play “extremely well.” The key, as Bo notes, is to use the scrub’s lack of proper offense against them, often by baiting out certain things with dash dances or other tricky movement.

Instead of playing to beat the world champion, one should play to just beat the "suboptimal" opponent, and that can mean that you might even have to play "suboptimally" as well, as long as you are still targeting the opponent's weaknesses. This could mean that you should play a lot of very consistent shots such as a high lob with weird spin, knowing that your opponent would not have enough power to kill the ball back.

This is very important to read. The scrubs can beat you because they play into your weaknesses. So how do you respond? Play into theirs.

Every game you play, every last one, you ought to treat as though it’s the last one you’ll play in your life. When you are fighting ScrubLord25, you fight ScrubLord25, and don’t try to fight Mew2king. This is one thing I had to learn by repeatedly losing to players I thought were worse than me, and believe me, I’ve had a lot of experience in that department.

Playing against your opponent means you need to focus on who you’re fighting at that moment in time. I’m emphasizing this despite seeming obvious because it’s a principle I and others grapple against. You might have to change your style to match the opponent’s, even if it feels terrible and nauseating to not play at your natural flow, because you need to control the pace of the game, and if the opponent insists on changing it to a slow and roll-filled pace, so be it. You think you’re better than them? Then you should be able to beat them at their own game, so do it. Adaptation is a hugely important skill of Smash, and adapting to scrubby playstyles is no exception. Make whatever changes are necessary to beat your opponent, and don’t be afraid to change styles drastically to win.

Another key point, as I hinted earlier, is that you must respect your opponent to beat them. The cycle of frustration and reluctance to adapt often begins when you feel the opponent will not be a threat. Don’t assume that. If you underestimate your opponent, even if you feel you’re much a much better player, your psyche becomes exposed to unforced errors or dumb free damage chipping away at its armor. Stay calm and stay focused, and always assume your opponent is competent enough to win. This way, you are less vulnerable to getting surprised and realizing two stocks too late into a match that this match is not free.

I have let the timer run down to 25 seconds to eke out a win this way, because I felt there was no other way to combat a non-aggressive and roll-heavy Kirby on a campy stage. I had to respect his space and his Inhale and smash attacks, because I was being hit in stupid ways trying to be overly aggressive. I wasn’t playing for 1st place or even a tournament life, I was playing to win that game then and there. That’s what makes a winning mindset.

Psychological advantage is the only one a scrub has over an experienced and proficient veteran. These are one type of tournament setting where the outcome is decided by how well you can keep your head without getting flustered, but if you can do that, I think the odds of success are good.

Descrubification

So we've talked about staying calm and keeping focused in order to best scrubby play. However, I haven't yet talked much about the process of winning out. While any set algorithm in Smash is subject to a lot of variation, there are some key points that you can try to go through while turning a struggling match against a Scrub into an advantage:

• Be ready to adapt. As I said earlier, adaptation is an integral part of beating very unorthodox playstyles. If what you're doing isn't working, either you will lose or do something else. Scrubs can be very consistent in what they do, which is exceptionally frustrating, so be ready to change mental tracks when you need to.

• Pick apart your gameplay. Why are you losing? What's causing you to lose in particular? Is it that you keep rushing in and getting Shield Grabbed? Do you keep getting caught by random randy Fsmashes? Most of the time when fighting scrubs, your flaws are being too eager to be aggressive, so never fear hanging back and playing defensively instead. As Bo mentioned, scrubs usually have a very weak offensive game, so capitalize on that by making them have to rely on it.

• Make the changes. Realizing what's going on is half the battle in countering scrubby gameplay; actually making the adjustments is the other half.

• Be consistent. If you waver in your play, scrubs are usually consistent enough to capitalize on overly aggressive styles, so make sure you tone down your game until you are in a clearly advantageous position like the middle of a combo or an easy edgeguard situation. Sudden bursts of power between defensive bouts will overwhelm and confuse scrubs, throwing them on tilt.

• Be PATIENT. This is the biggest advice I can offer. Scrubs will thrive on winning stray hits and dodging your inappropriate offensives. Wait for openings or make them before you try and crack the shell. If you keep trying to land grabs, smashes, or meaty aerials, scrubs will keep avoiding them with rolls, spotdodges, and shields. Patience, Bo cautioned, is the central point in dealing with these playstyles. Playing conservatively minimizes the chance that scrubs get random stupid hits, meaning your psyche takes less of a beating as you keep winning piece by piece.
Hopefully these steps are enough to slow down your thought processes to the pace of the game and stay in the match, rather than trying to think above the match.

Pulling the Scrubs Off

As I said before, everyone is varying degrees of scrubby. So how can those who feel they are “fully scrubs” improve? Bo has some comments on how many get better in table tennis:

Well a lot of "suboptimal" players in the table tennis community end up learning to combine their "suboptimal" styles with more optimal styles… But most often they just play against a lot of optimal players, and they try to find even more creative ways to play "suboptimally" in order to win.

Of course, certain scrubby behaviors should be largely eliminated, like being one directional and maladaptive, or not understanding the fundamentals of Smash, spacing, combos, and edgeguards. Your tournament success is highly limited without proper application of these concepts. But that doesn’t mean that you have to eliminate your playstyle entirely.

Every player has distinctive habits. They do things because they like certain techniques or tactics. Some players like particular moves or using ledges or rolls to turn tides of the battle. Others might like using grabs to combo opponents. What makes someone scrubby is trying to do these things thoughtlessly, without an understanding of fundamentals, or that spamming is bad for your playstyle, or that refusing to vary your algorithms or at least make them multidimensional makes for bad play. But the way you approach offense and defense in Smash is what gives you your characteristic playstyle.

There’s certainly a chance for you to improve and still keep some of your style in your play. Your Fox Illusion spam is not going to get you anywhere useful, but maybe learning setups and applying ideas of fundamentals and spacing with creativity will help you pull off sick combos. Certainly, you should avoid being overtly predictable, but your mannerisms make up your Smash identity. It is certainly possible to make your scrubby habits into good ones by learning Smash “properly” before molding your personal style.

Closing Remarks

Playing against lower-level or scrubby players is an issue I struggled with very personally for a long time. Now, I find myself confident in battling these types of players, the same way I feel confident in certain matchups.

It took months to simply realize that I needed to relax, focus, and adapt properly to different characters. It took at least a year to realize that I need to play every match on its own. I need to be fluid and calm and if I find I cannot control the flow of the game, stop struggling and let myself play on whatever terms let me gain control. I made scrubs regret trying to camp and slow down the match, regret playing algorithmically with just shield grabs and rolls and Nayru’s Love and Egg Roll and Forward Smash. I stopped letting scrubs control me, and started controlling myself and my own psyche. And I’ve seen success for it.

Thanks for reading, and special thanks to Bo for contributing, as well as /u/PlayOnSunday and /u/L_Pag for proofreading. We’ll see you next week.

---​

SmashCapps hoped this was as enjoyable to read for others as it was for him and that it will help Smash fans if they go to host an event. To keep up with his own writing adventures follow him on Twitter.

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
Maybe I don't fully understand, because I've seen the word "scrub" used with much more perjorative connotations on the sm4sh boards i.e. someone who whines and complains all the time and has a generally nasty temperament.

But is this really how the smash community ,or even the fgc at large,views new players to their scene? On the one hand, I can understand the frustration when losing to someone who just spams one move, but a term like "scrub" seems very condescending and disrespectful and can easily turn the scene into an exclusive good ol' boys club.

Ex: I've been to Xanadu a couple times and had some nice conversations with some of the people there, but is this really what they think of me? And because I can't devote my whole life to smash bros and won't "git gud" overnight, am I doomed to accept being disrespected by the community at large my whole time here? Do people like gimr and tantalus (not talking about them specifically because they've been incredibly gracious to me when I've been there, just using them as an example because they're some of the higher-ups) actually appreciate me for being there, or are they saying one thing to my face and thinking "what a loser" on the inside? I might as well go back to playing free-for-alls on temple with my "real friends" because there's no way I'm ever going to not feel completely lonely or hopeless at the chance of possibly making new friends by people who call me a "scrub" or "filthy casual" all the time.

You can see how this could easily be a turnoff to new people joining and the community expanding, can't you?

Last edited:

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Note that he mentioned having respect for your opponent is necessary in order to beat him (in this case, the scrub).

Personally, the furthest I'd go with scrub is someone who isn't really a tournament threat or lacks understanding of how the game is played at a high level. That's it really. And nobody gets good overnight, it takes time. Anyone thinking you should go from newbie to god level within a month is beyond unreasonable and should probably be told so.

There are also other ways of getting involved with the community besides entering and winning tourneys. You could be a TO, commentator, help fund tours etc.

If being called a scrub is that bad (not that I have heard that being used as an insult in a good while now, although personal experiences aren't fact.), then improve or don't show up, I guess, even though you said yourself they haven't said it to your face and likely won't think any more or less of you for being bad at the game (if you are).

#opinions

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
... A..... a....smashboards official thread about Scrubs?!??!?!? This is the happiest moment of my life.

Read this, and stop being scrubs all the time (Looking at you smash 4 players)

My work here is done. *Flies off to train with king kai*

Pippin (Peregrin Took)

Formerly “ItalianBaptist”
Switch FC
SW-0542-4021-7641
I admit I'm probably taking this a little too personally. I guess "scrub" is the gaming equivalent to "squid" in rocket power. You can either get offended like twister, or shrug it off like sam. I need to choose to shrug it off.

Also, I need to clarify...from being at Xanadu and smashboards, I've met a lot of cool people and made awesome new friends along the way...so what if so and so doesn't want to be one of them right?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Why do people get offended by the whole Scrub thing?

Very simply, a Scrub is someone who REFUSES to play to win, and makes up invisible rules in his head as to what playing honorably and playing "cheap" entail, and also johns after every single loss.

If you're working on your game and trying to learn / improve / adapt / think competitively, you are no scrub. A newbie, maybe, but not a scrub

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Maybe I don't fully understand, because I've seen the word "scrub" used with much more perjorative connotations on the sm4sh boards i.e. someone who whines and complains all the time and has a generally nasty temperament.

But is this really how the smash community ,or even the fgc at large,views new players to their scene? On the one hand, I can understand the frustration when losing to someone who just spams one move, but a term like "scrub" seems very condescending and disrespectful and can easily turn the scene into an exclusive good ol' boys club.

Ex: I've been to Xanadu a couple times and had some nice conversations with some of the people there, but is this really what they think of me? And because I can't devote my whole life to smash bros and won't "git gud" overnight, am I doomed to accept being disrespected by the community at large my whole time here? Do people like gimr and tantalus (not talking about them specifically because they've been incredibly gracious to me when I've been there, just using them as an example because they're some of the higher-ups) actually appreciate me for being there, or are they saying one thing to my face and thinking "what a loser" on the inside? I might as well go back to playing free-for-alls on temple with my "real friends" because there's no way I'm ever going to not feel completely lonely or hopeless at the chance of possibly making new friends by people who call me a "scrub" or "filthy casual" all the time.

You can see how this could easily be a turnoff to new people joining and the community expanding, can't you?
And here comes the people calling you a *****. If you don't have time to improve, then yeah, you'll be mistaken for choosing to be a scrub.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice

So we're getting into word games. If I was a religious person, I could define my cat as God and say "God exists," then talk about a lot of unrelated things and have a confusing mess of a situation, which means definitions are important for a straightforward discussion. I used the term "scrub" because it's short and to the point, but I made sure to try and define it carefully with Bo's help to avoid confusing it with the pejorative word. Alternatively I could have picked a longer/cumbersome word or made one up, but I thought this would be a little easier to follow. The word "scrub" I realized carries connotations, and what I was looking to draw on was the context of the frustrations you feel "losing to a scrub," rather than to create divisiveness. When I'm talking about a "scrub," it means someone who is not well versed in the deep mechanic but sees mild success with unorthodox or even bad strategies. Similarly a Chess scrub might be someone who always tries to win with a scholar's mate instead of things like building pawn structure, using knights well, etc.

Respect for all players is important. Doesn't matter race, gender, species, favorite color, or skill level. They are players as much as you are. The write-up is intended to not disparage new players; I've tried to orient a number of these toward new players and have plans to do one this sunday toward new players as well. But this article was aimed at those intermediate players looking to improve who struggle with adapting to unusual or bizarre/suboptimal playstyles way outside their comfort zone, in particular the weird styles of new players without proper understanding of the game.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
So we're getting into word games. If I was a religious person, I could define my cat as God and say "God exists," then talk about a lot of unrelated things and have a confusing mess of a situation, which means definitions are important for a straightforward discussion. I used the term "scrub" because it's short and to the point, but I made sure to try and define it carefully with Bo's help to avoid confusing it with the pejorative word. Alternatively I could have picked a longer/cumbersome word or made one up, but I thought this would be a little easier to follow. The word "scrub" I realized carries connotations, and what I was looking to draw on was the context of the frustrations you feel "losing to a scrub," rather than to create divisiveness. When I'm talking about a "scrub," it means someone who is not well versed in the deep mechanic but sees mild success with unorthodox or even bad strategies. Similarly a Chess scrub might be someone who always tries to win with a scholar's mate instead of things like building pawn structure, using knights well, etc.

Respect for all players is important. Doesn't matter race, gender, species, favorite color, or skill level. They are players as much as you are. The write-up is intended to not disparage new players; I've tried to orient a number of these toward new players and have plans to do one this sunday toward new players as well. But this article was aimed at those intermediate players looking to improve who struggle with adapting to unusual or bizarre/suboptimal playstyles way outside their comfort zone, in particular the weird styles of new players without proper understanding of the game.
Now, while what you're saying is true, I guess I've heard it thrown around in such an insulting way that I've been led to believe that the word "scrub" is a completely bad term for noob.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
Why do people get offended by the whole Scrub thing?

Very simply, a Scrub is someone who REFUSES to play to win, and makes up invisible rules in his head as to what playing honorably and playing "cheap" entail, and also johns after every single loss.

If you're working on your game and trying to learn / improve / adapt / think competitively, you are no scrub. A newbie, maybe, but not a scrub
There's lots of definitions for words. The scrub you describe is different from how I use it in the article. It's probably not far from a commonly used definition, but I just want to clarify that in context as I discussed, a "scrub" is someone who finds some mild success with a very limited and inexperienced understanding of the game against more experienced players and with poor or substandard strategy.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
There's lots of definitions for words. The scrub you describe is different from how I use it in the article. It's probably not far from a commonly used definition, but I just want to clarify that in context as I discussed, a "scrub" is someone who finds some mild success with a very limited and inexperienced understanding of the game against more experienced players and with poor or substandard strategy.
100% absolutely incorrect.

Also if "more experienced" players are losing to a "poor or substandard" strategy, then they're not experienced whatsoever.

This is just some kind of excuse to pretend like you are good at the game because you emulate high level players... so you're better than someone who doesn't agree with your pre-set mentality of how the game *should* be played.

If anything, this makes *you* a scrub, not the people who are beating you with a repetitive strategy (not you specifically, but the "experienced" players you describe) ... lmao.

Everyone should read this article to understand better, it's been around for a LONG time for a reason.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

Copy pasta for the lazy :

Introducing...the Scrub

The derogatory term “scrub” means several different things. One definition is someone (especially a game player) who is not good at something (especially a game). By this definition, we all start out as scrubs, and there is certainly no shame in that. I mean the term differently, though. A scrub is a player who is handicapped by self-imposed rules that the game knows nothing about. A scrub does not play to win.

Now, everyone begins as a poor player—it takes time to learn a game to get to a point where you know what you’re doing. There is the mistaken notion, though, that by merely continuing to play or “learn” the game, one can become a top player. In reality, the “scrub” has many more mental obstacles to overcome than anything actually going on during the game. The scrub has lost the game even before it starts. He’s lost the game even before deciding which game to play. His problem? He does not play to win.

The scrub would take great issue with this statement for he usually believes that he is playing to win, but he is bound up by an intricate construct of fictitious rules that prevents him from ever truly competing. These made-up rules vary from game to game, of course, but their character remains constant. Let’s take a fighting game off of which I’ve made my gaming career: Street Fighter.

In Street Fighter, the scrub labels a wide variety of tactics and situations “cheap.” This “cheapness” is truly the mantra of the scrub. Performing a throw on someone is often called cheap. A throw is a special kind of move that grabs an opponent and damages him, even when the opponent is defending against all other kinds of attacks. The entire purpose of the throw is to be able to damage an opponent who sits and blocks and doesn’t attack. As far as the game is concerned, throwing is an integral part of the design—it’s meant to be there—yet the scrub has constructed his own set of principles in his mind that state he should be totally impervious to all attacks while blocking. The scrub thinks of blocking as a kind of magic shield that will protect him indefinitely. Why? Exploring the reasoning is futile since the notion is ridiculous from the start.

You will not see a classic scrub throw his opponent five times in a row. But why not? What if doing so is strategically the sequence of moves that optimizes his chances of winning? Here we’ve encountered our first clash: the scrub is only willing to play to win within his own made-up mental set of rules. These rules can be staggeringly arbitrary. If you beat a scrub by throwing projectile attacks at him, keeping your distance and preventing him from getting near you—that’s cheap. If you throw him repeatedly, that’s cheap, too. We’ve covered that one. If you block for fifty seconds doing no moves, that’s cheap. Nearly anything you do that ends up making you win is a prime candidate for being called cheap. Street Fighter was just one example; I could have picked any competitive game at all.

Doing one move or sequence over and over and over is a tactic close to my heart that often elicits the call of the scrub. This goes right to the heart of the matter: why can the scrub not defeat something so obvious and telegraphed as a single move done over and over? Is he such a poor player that he can’t counter that move? And if the move is, for whatever reason, extremely difficult to counter, then wouldn’t I be a fool for not using that move? The first step in becoming a top player is the realization that playing to win means doing whatever most increases your chances of winning. That is true by definition of playing to win. The game knows no rules of “honor” or of “cheapness.” The game only knows winning and losing.

A common call of the scrub is to cry that the kind of play in which one tries to win at all costs is “boring” or “not fun.” Who knows what objective the scrub has, but we know his objective is not truly to win. Yours is. Your objective is good and right and true, and let no one tell you otherwise. You have the power to dispatch those who would tell you otherwise, anyway. Simply beat them.

Let’s consider two groups of players: a group of good players and a group of scrubs. The scrubs will play “for fun” and not explore the extremities of the game. They won’t find the most effective tactics and abuse them mercilessly. The good players will. The good players will find incredibly overpowering tactics and patterns. As they play the game more, they’ll be forced to find counters to those tactics. The vast majority of tactics that at first appear unbeatable end up having counters, though they are often quite subtle and difficult to discover. Knowing the counter tactic prevents the other player from using his tactic, but he can then use a counter to your counter. You are now afraid to use your counter and the opponent can go back to sneaking in the original overpowering tactic. This concept will be covered in much more detail later.

The good players are reaching higher and higher levels of play. They found the “cheap stuff” and abused it. They know how to stop the cheap stuff. They know how to stop the other guy from stopping it so they can keep doing it. And as is quite common in competitive games, many new tactics will later be discovered that make the original cheap tactic look wholesome and fair. Often in fighting games, one character will have something so good it’s unfair. Fine, let him have that. As time goes on, it will be discovered that other characters have even more powerful and unfair tactics. Each player will attempt to steer the game in the direction of his own advantages, much how grandmaster chess players attempt to steer opponents into situations in which their opponents are weak.

Let’s return to the group of scrubs. They don’t know the first thing about all the depth I’ve been talking about. Their argument is basically that ignorantly mashing buttons with little regard to actual strategy is more “fun.” Superficially, their argument does at least look valid, since often their games will be more “wet and wild” than games between the experts, which are usually more controlled and refined. But any close examination will reveal that the experts are having a great deal of this “fun” on a higher level than the scrub can even imagine. Throwing together some circus act of a win isn’t nearly as satisfying as reading your opponent’s mind to such a degree that you can counter his every move, even his every counter.

Can you imagine what will happen when the two groups of players meet? The experts will absolutely destroy the scrubs with any number of tactics they’ve either never seen or never been truly forced to counter. This is because the scrubs have not been playing the same game. The experts were playing the actual game while the scrubs were playing their own homemade variant with restricting, unwritten rules.

The scrub has still more crutches. He talks a great deal about “skill” and how he has skill whereas other players—very much including the ones who beat him flat out—do not have skill. The confusion here is what “skill” actually is. In Street Fighter, scrubs often cling to combos as a measure of skill. A combo is a sequence of moves that is unblockable if the first move hits. Combos can be very elaborate and very difficult to pull off. But single moves can also take “skill,” according to the scrub. The “dragon punch” or “uppercut” in Street Fighter is performed by holding the joystick toward the opponent, then down, then diagonally down and toward as the player presses a punch button. This movement must be completed within a fraction of a second, and though there is leeway, it must be executed fairly accurately. Ask any scrub and they will tell you that a dragon punch is a “skill move.”

I once played a scrub who was actually quite good. That is, he knew the rules of the game well, he knew the character matchups well, and he knew what to do in most situations. But his web of mental rules kept him from truly playing to win. He cried cheap as I beat him with “no skill moves” while he performed many difficult dragon punches. He cried cheap when I threw him five times in a row asking, “Is that all you know how to do? Throw?” I gave him the best advice he could ever hear. I told him, “Play to win, not to do ‘difficult moves.’” This was a big moment in that scrub’s life. He could either ignore his losses and continue living in his mental prison or analyze why he lost, shed his rules, and reach the next level of play.

I’ve never been to a tournament where there was a prize for the winner and another prize for the player who did many difficult moves. I’ve also never seen a prize for a player who played “in an innovative way.” (Though chess tournaments do sometimes have prizes for “brilliancies,” moves that are strokes of genius.) Many scrubs have strong ties to “innovation.” They say, “That guy didn’t do anything new, so he is no good.” Or “person X invented that technique and person Y just stole it.” Well, person Y might be one hundred times better than person X, but that doesn’t seem to matter to the scrub. When person Y wins the tournament and person X is a forgotten footnote, what will the scrub say? That person Y has “no skill” of course.

You can gain some standing in a gaming community by playing in an innovative way, but that should not be the ultimate goal. Innovation is merely one of many tools that may or may not help you reach victory. The goal is to play as excellently as possible. The goal is to win.

Last edited:

LinkoHakurei

Smash Cadet
NNID
LinkoHakurei
3DS FC
3136-6656-2820
Most certainly useful article, i'll take it into account from now on every time i need to face a scrubby player.

TakeYourHeart

Smash Journeyman
NNID
solemnpancake
Noteworthy, if you lose to a scrubby player, that is on you.

Sure it's irritating, but they are, even in their own silly way, playing to win. Really at any tournament, you need to prepare yourself for almost all playstyles, even scrubby ones (of course, you can get decent practice against such players in For Glory, as well as a few actual good ones).

Alph Aran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AlphSquad
Guess I should be playing more defensively, then. Thanks for the article.

Lyserdon

Smash Cadet
NNID
420BlitzIt
100% absolutely incorrect.
I don't think you can call anything he said "absolutely incorrect".

The article you posted changed how I looked at fighting games but if you mean to imply anything said in the column or subsequent posts was at odds with it, I think you'd do well to take another look.

First off, he's not at all trying to challenge your definition of scrub. All he's doing is appropriating it to describe something *he* wants to talk about, and he's very careful to define it. At worst, I'd say the only thing to take issue with is the confusion over the use of the word, which, to be fair, is used pretty loosely and with varying definitions all the time.

He's also not trying to excuse any losses or make a big deal out of " who is better". In fact, he clearly states that when trying to defeat these strategies, you need to realize that you lost to the better player. That's like the complete opposite of a john. A jane, if you will. He doesn't call tactics cheap, nor does he make up rules in his head for how to win. He merely proposes a scenario in which case you come up against a strategy that beats you due to its oddness, rather than its safety or speed or whatever careful recipe of game mechanics makes it work. Is it completely unreasonable that an experienced player well versed in the meta would ever be in that situation? He's unlikely to see it often, so it won't be in his "library" of strategies in his head. And then the author goes on to describe strategies for overcoming such "scrubbiness", such as improved consistency in fundamentals, defensive play, reflection on why you're losing.

A scrub by your definition (which for the record I find most useful, just not applicable here really) would respond to this suboptimal play beating him by calling it unfair. But the author advocates careful thought and practice to overcome it and win. That sounds exactly in line with the intent of the article you posted to me.

DkDaggers

Smash Rookie
Surely the definition of a scrub is "a guy who thinks he's fine". By the way, you may hear the term "buster" thrown about too.

Lenrap

Smash Rookie
This really helped me realize how stupid I am when I overestimate opponents, thanks

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
I don't think you can call anything he said "absolutely incorrect".

The article you posted changed how I looked at fighting games but if you mean to imply anything said in the column or subsequent posts was at odds with it, I think you'd do well to take another look.

First off, he's not at all trying to challenge your definition of scrub. All he's doing is appropriating it to describe something *he* wants to talk about, and he's very careful to define it. At worst, I'd say the only thing to take issue with is the confusion over the use of the word, which, to be fair, is used pretty loosely and with varying definitions all the time.

He's also not trying to excuse any losses or make a big deal out of " who is better". In fact, he clearly states that when trying to defeat these strategies, you need to realize that you lost to the better player. That's like the complete opposite of a john. A jane, if you will. He doesn't call tactics cheap, nor does he make up rules in his head for how to win. He merely proposes a scenario in which case you come up against a strategy that beats you due to its oddness, rather than its safety or speed or whatever careful recipe of game mechanics makes it work. Is it completely unreasonable that an experienced player well versed in the meta would ever be in that situation? He's unlikely to see it often, so it won't be in his "library" of strategies in his head. And then the author goes on to describe strategies for overcoming such "scrubbiness", such as improved consistency in fundamentals, defensive play, reflection on why you're losing.

A scrub by your definition (which for the record I find most useful, just not applicable here really) would respond to this suboptimal play beating him by calling it unfair. But the author advocates careful thought and practice to overcome it and win. That sounds exactly in line with the intent of the article you posted to me.
This was mostly what I would have liked to say in response and lacked the time, eloquence, and patience to do so, so thanks.

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
the Table Tennis analogy is an intriguing one, namely how it relates up-and-coming players...

while one would think this relates more with Smash 4, it's not unheard of to run into obnoxious players like such in other games, too

hell, I would not be surprised if the more argumentative players around would outright accuse new gen folks of this behavior... especially given some tend to lump the mainstream masses with players around here.

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
Uh... I now feel like I'm a scrub! I want to be good at the game and I don't feel like I spam much but maybe others consider me a noob or spammer. Other than the fundamentals, which I feel like I know a bit and should always improve,cis there something that differs a scrub from a dedicated player? I mean, am I a scrub because I have a hard time approaching opponents and play more defensively in my point of view? I would like to learn about this and how to actually improve in the fundamental game of Smash in general

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Uh... I now feel like I'm a scrub! I want to be good at the game and I don't feel like I spam much but maybe others consider me a noob or spammer. Other than the fundamentals, which I feel like I know a bit and should always improve,cis there something that differs a scrub from a dedicated player? I mean, am I a scrub because I have a hard time approaching opponents and play more defensively in my point of view? I would like to learn about this and how to actually improve in the fundamental game of Smash in general
As long as you are playing to learn / trying to win, and not saying things like "Well, you only won because you used x character and x tactic"

Then you're not a a scrub :)

There is a HUGE difference between a noob who is trying to learn and become a high level player someday, and someone who sucks at the game, but thinks they're amazing... they just don't win because you aren't playing with honor.

Melee used to be full of scrubs back in the day, mostly people that claimed they were honorable because they didn't use wavecheating or fun cancelling. (These people also mostly preferred Roy over Marth because they thought ken was cheap..lol)

Hope that helps. Glad to hear you're trying your best to get better at smash, keep it up.

Last edited:

H.O.U.S.E.

Smash Rookie
NNID
acrenator
As long as you are playing to learn / trying to win, and not saying things like "Well, you only won because you used x character and x tactic"

There is a HUGE difference between a noob who is trying to learn and become a high level player someday, and someone who sucks at the game, but thinks they're amazing... they just don't win because you aren't playing with honor.

Melee used to be full of scrubs back in the day, mostly people that claimed they were honorable because they didn't use wavecheating or fun cancelling. (These people also mostly preferred Roy over Marth because they thought ken was cheap..lol)

Hope that helps. Glad to hear you're trying your best to get better at smash, keep it up.
Thanks for the help! I hope to improve and actually be good at the game!

Owlflame

Smash Apprentice
That moment when someone reminds you that there is actually competitive Ping-Pong.

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072
I dont like how a majority of the comments towards scrubs is directed to smash 4 players. -.- really people come on. Its the smash community why fight( belittle) eachother. We should join hands. Anyways. Back to the original issue. I, after reading this consider myself a scrub but in a weird way... I learned that smash 4 to me lately, has been really sour for me. I started being HORRIBLE at it. Idk why. But i picked up PM again amd i have been in the lab constantly with Roy. But if doing repetative things is scrubby then i have to really rethink my life. Most of my Roy combos beging with a dash attack or a d-tilt. So i find myself over using them :/. But it's to set up for other things. Sigh. I do need to calm down and be a little more defensive. Which i am learning to do. I have had a friend train in the lab with me constantly and he told me recently. You are not a scrub you are just starting and learning a game you have never played before and you found some stratagies that work. But applying them will take time. So i took it to heart and im learning all over again. I still have to find the jab resets, the edge guards etc. L canceling has become my main focus with roy. After that wave landing etc. Hence why i joined smash boards. To better myself and be less scrubby. I thank this thread 100%.

Last edited:

RamenKamen

Smash Cadet
NNID
RamenKamen
3DS FC
1289-9460-6072

But but but i prefered Roy over Marth because i like him more :(. Lol. But in all seriousness. In smash 4 lil mac has become a problem for me becuase of all the super armor and stuff. Even a low playing player will beat me with mac. It Frustrates me so much. always switching to a super armor all smashes and tilts character just to win. :/. But i do agree with your comment.

Top Bottom