• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind Over Meta #21 - Embracing Your Weaknesses

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Mind Over Meta is a weekly series of articles on /r/SSBPM, the Project M subreddit. Written by several different authors, this series covers many of the mental aspects of playing smash and other subjects related specifically to Project M. I was invited as a guest writer, and decided to write the 21st article to share my personsal Smash story about embracing weaknesses. The original article can be found here, and to read the rest of the series check out the Mind Over Meta Archive. Sit down, read, and enjoy.

---​

I wanted to open up and share a very personal story from my life that I thought might help those who read it grow as competitors. I'm hoping to help some folks avoid the mistakes I have made, and learn the lesson I did in a much easier way. I'm here to talk today about embracing your weaknesses.

It Begins

“Anyone who has lost something they thought was theirs forever finally comes to realize that nothing really belongs to them.” - Paulo Coelho

At age nine, after a day of shopping and enjoying an awesome swim at the pool, I got in bed to get some rest excited to have another active and exciting day tomorrow. The next morning I woke up in excruciating pain, unable to walk, and barely able to move. A rushed hospital trip and many tests later I was told I had Guillain-Barré Syndrome, a rare disease that would permanently damage my entire nervous system for life. I didn't know if I could walk on my own even again, and I was stuck fighting through intense amounts of pain. There were talks of possibly even putting me on a ventilator. I had no idea if I could ever live life or do the things I liked to do ever again.

I refused to let any of this happen. I not only managed to get back up on my feet, but did so so quickly the doctors were baffled at the speed of my recovery. I now only need braces on my legs to help me on longer walks instead of a wheelchair or walker. I never needed the ventilator, and managed to even go back to playing some of the sports I once loved.

I can still play video games, a passion I've always had but I run into a lot of problems with severe hand pain, and since my nerves are damaged my reaction times can be much poorer than the average player.

The Now
"There is no such thing as accident; it is fate misnamed." - Napoleon Bonaparte

So I made a "terrible mistake", I fell in love with Super Smash Bros. A series of games that basically is everything my hands cannot do became my obsession. I began training constantly, trying to increase my skills. My hands would burn, stinging and pulsing in pain for hours afterwards but I would put hours and hours into practice determined that like all of the other challenges in front of me all of this could be overcome with hard enough work.

All it did was force me to continuously bash against an impenetrable wall that I could never break through, as it simply wasn't possible. I fell into a serious depression. I would go and pick up the controller determined to try just ONE more time only to end up sobbing for hours afterwards. I couldn't stand having had so many things taken away from me by this disability to lose one more, it was a line drawn in the sand I could not cross. I constantly would have thoughts like "with this disability you will NEVER stand a chance, give up". This continued for quite some time, and I'm not proud that I let myself go through such a destructive cycle.

The worst part however, is all of this could have EASILY been avoided however, if I had just done one thing: embrace my weakness.

Brolylegs
"The thing about living with any disability is that you adapt; you do what works for you." - Stella Young

I owe quite a bit to one player of many fighting games in finally helping me realize what I was doing wrong, Brolylegs. I had heard of him and seen matches he had played in before and was always impressed on how well he could do with his physical limitations. Oddly enough this made me rag on myself even worse, "he can do it, why can't you?". This was until I saw him in an interview and had my moment of realization.

"Look for what you CAN do." he said, and spoke on how he had picked his main and control scheme based on his limitations and used them to the best of his advantage.

Here is a man who had to sometimes play in tournaments on a table, used his mouth to work the controls, and instead of looking down on himself took what he had and pressed forward with it. I don't think the word "humbling" was strong enough to describe how I felt.

How I Fixed This
"The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” - Albert Einstein

I had been an idiot. Of course I couldn't perform an insane amount of tech skill, and I had been dumb to even try. I sat back down to really look at Melee and figure out who would be a good fit for me. With my hands, l-canceling a lot or often really wasn't something I could or should be doing. So I picked the only character in the game who COULDN'T l-cancel some of his attacks, Mr. Game and Watch. With the pressure gone to try and keep up with these techs, I was able to start focusing on my fundementals more, learn my spacing, and actually get to playing the game. The opportunity was no longer there to beat myself up over missing an l-cancel or not getting a lot of tough tech down a lot of top tiers used, and I started to prosper.

Mind Over Meta 4 mentions an article that PPMD wrote regarding motivation:

>There are two reasons to play this game that allow for maximal improvement, enjoyment of the game, and keep the conscious cleared from focusing on judgments. These two motivations are: Playing to:
>have fun
>learn

I have now done this for every game I play in the series. In Smash 64 I now play as Donkey Kong. It's hard to not enjoy the DK hype, but his ridiculous infinite chaingrab helps me bridge the distance a bit in matches. For Brawl I chose King Dedede who yet again had a chaingrab, but also was heavy so he could help me when I would sometimes not react fast enough for the best DI, and his hard hitting attacks could help me come back when I inevitably made mistakes with my fingers. For Project M I took on Bowser, knowing with clever use of armor I might be able to eat through my opponents. In Smash 4 while I use Mii Swordfighter for fun, but by far my best character is Little Mac. With little button presses needed, and not tons of jumping, fast falling, and things like that it plays right into my weakness so I can press what advantages I DO have.

On top of this, instead of spending hours beating my hands into a pulp by practicing for hours on end I started to hit the books instead. Reading, learning every tiny trick there is, studying how each move interacts with others to try and use pure knowledge to overcome what my hands cannot.

I can easily say since I have started doing all of these things the depression has faded and I have finally started to improve as a player.

How To Embrace Your Own Weakness
"I discovered that my insecurities and my flaws were things that I actually need to embrace, and I let them become my superpowers. - Skylar Grey

Not everyone has a physical limitation when it comes to playing, but if anyone out there faces a situation where physically playing is a problem, I encourage you try out out lots of strange controllers, try weird control setups, and do what you can. Trust me there is a controller for everyone.

But for those who's weaknesses may be more in the mental realm of things, take a page from my book and try to take a weakness you have and use it to improve your game.

Maybe you shield far too often within games, EMBRACE IT! While it is good to get rid of bad habits, maybe pick up a character with stronger OOS options to help you on the way until you get there. Another option could be to set your shield button somewhere completely new to force yourself to mentally recognize every time you go to shield.

Maybe you have a hard time when people get right in your face. While trying to learn the best way to deal with this, find a character with strong disjointed moves to keep the opponent away from your face and at range.

Have an issue dealing with projectiles that force you to approach? Grab your own to fling right back! Give yourself a tool to deal with the situation while learning how this is done and how to avoid it yourself.

These are but a few examples, and I am certain there are many more. While it seems controversial compared to the usual advice of eliminating all weakness, I encourage readers who have hit these walls to instead take this new approach. You will find it will make your mental state in Smash MUCH better, and you will not only become a stronger player, but a stronger person as well.

---​

SmashCapps hopes people enjoyed his story and the article and that it gave people a cool lesson to learn from. To keep up with all things Smash follow him on Twitter.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Thanks for sharing this with us SmashCapps. For those of us with some sort of drawback (not just mental/physical disabilities, as you pointed out!), however minor or severe, it's always good to remember that others are going through their own difficulties and making something out of them.

But seriously...holy hell, you are one inspiring dude. Maajor respect

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095

I've often had a distaste for tech skill because i have difficulty going as fast as other players... it did not cross my mind ONCE [(...well, okay, it did a couple of times a long time ago...)] that there are folks who have serious medical reasons for being unable to keep up.

that being said, it would certainly do people well if there was some popular methods that could help players identify their most [notable] weaknesses... the fact that I use fighters of a few different playstyles in Smash 4 makes it a bit difficult for me to find out what my prominant flaw is.

asking for other players' opinions on that would probably be best, but as I'm a bit perpetually suspicious of others, I have trouble finding it reliable for all.

Last edited:

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
My weaknesses are:
I counter way too often with characters that have counter
I always try to look fancy, and end up running into people
I mainly play on gut reaction rather than actually thinking (I literally can 0-death someone and have zero idea how i just did it)
This read tells me that I should:
Learn how to counter more precisely
Act fancy, but safely
Improve my gut

Smasher-LTIMT

Smash Cadet
NNID
battlefront157
3DS FC
2165-7609-0420
I don't have a physical disabilitiy, or a mental disability. Its cool how you figured out a character to help with your disability!!! Diabetes is what I have, but its not really a disability

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
This guy is struggling for his life condition and I'm here complaining because lag screws me when I play online.

I feel like an idiot now

PurpleDolphin

Smash Rookie
My weaknesses are:
I counter way too often with characters that have counter
I always try to look fancy, and end up running into people
I mainly play on gut reaction rather than actually thinking (I literally can 0-death someone and have zero idea how i just did it)
This read tells me that I should:
Learn how to counter more precisely
Act fancy, but safely
Improve my gut
I also have a problem with counters, as in Brawl when I was more casual, I used counters on CPUs to get back down as Marth, since his dair had to be timed very well and I was crap at movement and such to get down. CPUs kept falling for it so I developed a bad habit, but after I realized that I was able to utilize counter more and stop spamming it.

Akenero

Smash Apprentice
I also have a problem with counters, as in Brawl when I was more casual, I used counters on CPUs to get back down as Marth, since his dair had to be timed very well and I was crap at movement and such to get down. CPUs kept falling for it so I developed a bad habit, but after I realized that I was able to utilize counter more and stop spamming it.
I've always had a problem with them, they make me feel so safe! As well as the fact that I'm already really good with the timing of it, so it's a double safe in my head, but I end up using it way too often, and pay for it heavily XD

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
This made me wanna cry not even gonna lie. That was simply beautiful I have no more words to describe how this made me feel other then inspired; thank you for sharing that.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Man, those quotes about intelegence and changing are awesome.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
I didn't know there was a tourney level guy who had some physical disabilities. That's kind of cool. Also keep in mind mental problems can also result in speed gaps/reflex issues and I'm not just talking about mental handicaps, I'm talking about depression, bi-polar disorder, ADD/ADHD, and so on.

To make matters even worse, if those mental problems AREN'T ruining the quality of their gaming reflexes, the medications they take might. For me it's my meds, which make my movements steady and precise; that means I can never play tournies anymore because steady is not fast enough.Thanks to the lag on FG steady is as fast as you can go, so I can go all out there if I need to. Tournies aren't fun for me after melee, anyway. 2srs4me.

25% of people allegedly have mental problems (roughly speaking). So you can assume that 1/4th of your opponents has a handicap or maybe an advantage (anxiety might make you hyper-aware and really fast; you're going to **** some **** up and you're not even going to know how you did it). Then there's physical problems too or even an illness.

So as a side note, if you play on FG, try to be considerate. Curbstomping someone in 30-60 seconds means you're going all out, which is fine if the person is at your skill level. But you don't know WHY they're not playing at your level. So the nice thing to do would be to tone your play style down (capitalize on mistakes and reads, but don't throw out all the techs you can just to stroke your ego with curbstomping). Hell, I still win many matches 2-0 on FG and the people stay because I slow down and let them actually get some hits/combos in. I don't spoonfeed it to them, they earn them fair and square. It's just I'm not throwing out techs and spot dodging every 5 seconds. Trying too hard when there's no need to try hard makes you. . . Look. . . Very desperate. . . Which is sad and unfun to witness. I see too much of that on FG, and of course, they rage quit mid match whenever I use their try-hard nature against them. Zelda is the Queen of Salt. C:

Last edited:

Avro-Arrow

Smash Journeyman
25% of people allegedly have mental problems (roughly speaking). So you can assume that 1/4th of your opponents has a handicap or maybe an advantage (anxiety might make you hyper-aware and really fast; you're going to **** some **** up and you're not even going to know how you did it). Then there's physical problems too or even an illness.
I'm not so sure that anxiety would help someone compete in a tournament match. Anxiety can cause peoples' nerves to get the better of them and so they could misinput a lot easier than their opponent would (unless of course, their opponent also has a limiting factor like anxiety or a nervous disease). Also, it could cause them to not think straight and lose focus on the game. I'm not an expert though, so don't take my word on it; I could very much be wrong.

On a different note, I never knew that unipolar or bipolar depression could cause reflex impairments. Psychology is something I'm really very interested in so if you could tell me where you learned this, explain it, or link me to a resource where I could research It myself I'd appreciate that very much.

I'm glad they're continuing to put out these articles. Thanks SmashCapps!

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
This guy is struggling for his life condition and I'm here complaining because lag screws me when I play online.

I feel like an idiot now
Thats what I'm saying. I saw him in a tournament once, mashing the controller against his face, and WINNING. I was in awe, and had such respect. We really need to take our situations into perspective sometimes.

Last edited:

Nocally

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3840-6058-2117
I have had the same disease, "luckily" it was when I was two years old and can't remember it, and no physical disadvantages has come from it, but it's not a nice disease that´s for sure.

Keep on smashing!

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Awesome article, indeed. Inspirational, even.

So....best character in smash 4 to pressure shields who doesnt afraid of shieldgrabs? cuz dats mah weakness

Jiggs?

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I didn't know there was a tourney level guy who had some physical disabilities. That's kind of cool. Also keep in mind mental problems can also result in speed gaps/reflex issues and I'm not just talking about mental handicaps, I'm talking about depression, bi-polar disorder, ADD/ADHD, and so on.

To make matters even worse, if those mental problems AREN'T ruining the quality of their gaming reflexes, the medications they take might. For me it's my meds, which make my movements steady and precise; that means I can never play tournies anymore because steady is not fast enough.Thanks to the lag on FG steady is as fast as you can go, so I can go all out there if I need to. Tournies aren't fun for me after melee, anyway. 2srs4me.

So as a side note, if you play on FG, try to be considerate. Curbstomping someone in 30-60 seconds means you're going all out, which is fine if the person is at your skill level. But you don't know WHY they're not playing at your level. So the nice thing to do would be to tone your play style down (capitalize on mistakes and reads, but don't throw out all the techs you can just to stroke your ego with curbstomping). Hell, I still win many matches 2-0 on FG and the people stay because I slow down and let them actually get some hits/combos in. I don't spoonfeed it to them, they earn them fair and square. It's just I'm not throwing out techs and spot dodging every 5 seconds. Trying too hard when there's no need to try hard makes you. . . Look. . . Very desperate. . . Which is sad and unfun to witness. I see too much of that on FG, and of course, they rage quit mid match whenever I use their try-hard nature against them. Zelda is the Queen of Salt. C:
Wait, so how would having ADD affect my game? Quite frankly, I have a great reaction time and have been complimented on it on multiple occasions. In fact, reacting is a huge part of my play style.

SmashJC

Smash Journeyman
In fact, reacting is a huge part of my play style.
Same here:
Starting a match: It's showtime!
Perfect Victory: YATTATATATATATTATATATAATATATATATATATATATATA :3
Almost perfect victory no K.O: (heavy voice) U cannot beat me :3
Victory: hahahahahahahahaha :3
Tie: this is b*******!!!
Defeated by spam: (waluigi voice) i hate cheaters!
Defeated by noob: ...
Defeated: pure luck, next time i'll smash you to death!

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I disagree with embracing your weakness if the weakness is having bad habits. You should work against them and improve your play.
Otherwise, I fully agree and have to say I like this article.

LZCXR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LZCXRR
I'm not so sure that anxiety would help someone compete in a tournament match. Anxiety can cause peoples' nerves to get the better of them and so they could misinput a lot easier than their opponent would (unless of course, their opponent also has a limiting factor like anxiety or a nervous disease). Also, it could cause them to not think straight and lose focus on the game. I'm not an expert though, so don't take my word on it; I could very much be wrong.
Bullseye, this is from someone with pathological anxiety, this causes me to get really horrible when dealing with pressure, and that's why I don't really like playing in tournaments, since the atmosphere is unbearable since it's way too tense

But whatever, in the topic of the article my weaknesses are:
  • Low tech skill
  • Horrible at dealing with pressure
  • Playing entirely on reaction without a gameplan
  • Really bad at hit-confirming
  • Sometimes I forget I even have a grab
So I guess that' why I like characters with mid/long range gameplans or with disjointed hitboxes and great OoS options

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
I kinda figured that puff would be a better character for someone who can't really press buttoms fast rather than game & watch on behalf of her being like 15 ish spots higher on the tierlist.
As a player who doesn't play either character I asssumed g&w requires more buttons than puff even without his need for l cancels.
Did you try puff as well? And if so what turned you away from her. If not why not she has the reputation of not having hard tech?

Also mad props on working around your disability.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Smash Capps, this is a really amazing story, but I actually was thinking you were going to pick D3, mario, ganondorf, bowser, Zard, etc...

Top Bottom