• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mind Over Meta 20 - Staying Positive

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Mind Over Meta is a weekly series of articles on /r/SSBPM, the Project M subreddit. Written by several different authors, this series covers many of the mental aspects of playing smash and other subjects related specifically to Project M. After a small break in the series, Orangegluon has returned to write the 20th article all about staying positive. The original article can be found here, and to read the rest of the series check out the Mind Over Meta Archive. This is quite an insightful read, so sit down and enjoy.

---​

This week, with some hard recent news and unknown progress on v3.6, I think it's time for an article on positivity in Project M. Thanks for your patience and support.

Greater Than Zero

Staying positive in anything is sometimes really simple. It's also often really hard. Positivity is tough to define exactly, but it's a mix of optimism, persistence, hope, and a bit of naivete. It's sometimes effortless and sometimes very draining to stay positive in life or in specific times, because circumstances can really take a toll on you, but I think it's worth talking about positive outlooks in the context of the Project M scene.

Being positive is easy when things are great. You're about to win a tournament, no one can stop you and it's an easy ride to first place. Project M's Dev Team has released new information, and it's reinvigorated the PM fervor. Nintendo gave a shoutout to a tournament that's running Project M and people are excited. These are all examples of times when everything is peachy, the world is on your side, and everything is bright, so naturally you're going to show some optimism and you'll feel happy. This is easy.

Positivity also isn't as important during these times. Whether you're feeling up or down, everything is still in favor of the up at these points. So yes, you might feel nice, but things are probably good either way. That's not to say that these times are not worth feeling happy about when everything appears to be going well, but it's not what I want to focus on here.

Positivity is crucial when things are bad, when others are losing hope, and when the future is uncertain or even scary. You're in round one of your tournament and you're scheduled to fight the number one seed of the pool. Or yet another major tournament is electing to remove Project M from the schedule. These are the moments when staying calm and positive is so difficult and yet so critical. And I feel these are the times we as the Project M Community need to discuss, for now and for the future.

Inner Kamina

First I'd like to talk about positivity in the game. Mental game is a huge part of any fighting game, and attitude is in turn a critical component of mental game. And the core of it boils down to this:

If you don't feel confident and positive in yourself, you are much less likely to see the results you want. Simple as that. Professionals, both of physical sports, strategic games, and, yes, Super Smash Bros, have attested to this. It's just fact. Take it from famed Smasher Mew2King on the value of being at your mental peak, and how it affects your play, in this clip from The Smash Documentary.

“When I’m not playing good in a day… I just get depressed and then I just don’t feel like playing anymore.” Mental state affects everything, down to whether you even feel like playing.

Positivity about your gameplay is made of a lot of factors, but confidence in yourself is the baseline factor; without confidence you have no soil to grow a positive mental attitude. If you don't believe me or Mew2King, take it from this quote attributed to fighting legend Muhammad Ali: “To be a great champion you must believe you are the best. If you're not, pretend you are.”

"But Orangegluon! How can I be positive all the time? Sometimes it's just dumb to be positive because it's clear that winning in my position against Player X is impossible! I lose this matchup, and they're better than me, and my hair isn't as shiny. There's no chance of success, so isn't it better to be realistic?"

First -- the lovely thing about the future is that it hasn't happened yet, so until you play you don't know what the outcome will be. Second -- there's always a chance that anything can happen. Your goal is that whatever your chance of success, you try as hard as you can as a proper competitor to make grasp those odds and you win. The odds of winning are never 0, meaning you never have an excuse to believe you will lose without trying your damned hardest.

This kind of mindset is hard to maintain. I'll freely admit I'm hypocritical in this respect, as I often find myself committed to the idea of failure before a match. I'm human, yes, but that's no excuse, and I try to actively keep a more positive attitude. Because even when I'm in a tournament and the odds look insurmountable, positivity and pride keep me motivated. And sometimes, just sometimes, it pays off. Because you know what happens when against all odds, someone succeeds against an opponent who is slated to win? It's called an upset, and the winner becomes a LEGEND.

Here's a match of mine in Melee against someone who was set to beat me; I knew they were better, and I knew they had all the tools to beat me, and I was almost set to lose completely. But before this match, I refocused and realized how much I wanted to beat my opponent, and I cleared my head. Nothing else mattered, the tournament was not relevant at this point. I just needed to win this match, and I'd deal with the rest of the world later.

Sure, I'm just one n00b who got lucky in one tournament, but the Smash scene is so volatile in matchups and placings that upsets can happen all the time. In every game from Brawl, to Melee, to N64, to Project M upsets are exciting and real. And the more difficult the challenge, the more memorable those victories will be. Remember -- people love to see underdogs succeed!

Creating good mental states for yourself is tough, but some tricks besides focusing on the goal can help. Music is good at putting me in a fighting mood, so next time you're facing a challenge, try listening to Gurren Lagann or Eminem or Bach, whatever lets you focus and feel like a scrap, either during or before the match. I know Sethlon tries to pace his matches with his favorite high-energy song.

Playing on point helps you feel more confident, but choking or making mistakes kills your vibes really fast. To avoid negative feedback internally, taking a moment to objectively analyze what went wrong and why while you're on the platform helps, and learning to let go your mistakes and work to fix them will help you adapt on the fly. When you lambast yourself for chokes, positivity slips and you'll find yourslf spiraling. For more on dealing with chokes, check our previous MoM on the topic.

Attitude and perseverance can be the separation between “boys” and “men”; too many people are restrained by negative attitudes in competitions, so it's important you develop good habits of positive outlooks, no matter how good or bad you are!

Face of PM

Project M, like Melee, N64, and Brawl before it, has had to deal with negativity throughout its history. Anger, vitriole, condescension, and indifference have all contributed to this difficult past. Melee and N64 experienced division among the fighting game community for being "casual party games," and Brawl knows well the derision of being a floaty and comparatively low speed game than Melee. Further those communities experienced schisms within them for various reasons, ranging from issues surrounding specific players to arguments of principles.

But these games survived, and not through negativity, but from positive outlooks and common grounds within the community binding them together. People coming together for love of the game is what held these scenes together, and the same has been true for Project M.

I'm sure each of you has heard people chide Project M; it's too fast, too weird, too clunky, too gimmicky, just Melee or Brawl with nonsense doodads. I urge you not to stoop to indignance or offense. Don't feed negativity with negativity. In response to these specific complaints, remember that people have preferences, and that your own taste may dislike other games. Whether some game is "better" than another by some standard is a different matter, but respect and polite discussion go a long way in any kind of conversations about Smash. And if any discussion appears to be based in negativity or to stagnate to standstill, I believe you can always simply end the discussion on a disagreement and save yourself from sinking into a deep, angry hole. Play the games you love, and don't be upset when not everyone loves it.

The elephant in the room here, though, is Project M's situation in the Smash Community. It's stuck in Legal Grey Areatm , and it often feels that PM is disrespected, for that legal reason and for preference to other games. Feeling angry is OK, it's a human emotion. Stewing in that anger, though is dangerous and can lead to even further negative opinions of the PM community. TOs of major tourneys reportedly got death threats as a result of hashing PM. Seriously? This community is not about falling to that kind of base, negative reaction. For the sake of PM, we absolutely must take good news and bad news in stride.

How can we do that? How can we possibly overcome such negativity? The obvious answer is: by staying positive. As long as people love Project M, we can keep it moving well. Being left out of 1 or 100 tournaments won't kill Project M. People insulting PM will not kill PM. Because you, the community, through thick and thin can still be there to support it.

Staying positive about PM is tough, especially in scary times, like when PM is dropped or ignored at big events, but we can do it. Positivity requires optimism, persistence, hope, and naivete, and the Smash community has shown all of these things before; you are capable of showing these things as a community member.

Staying calm in the face of uncertainty is part of optimism; no matter what circumstances, we can always strive toward happier days. Don't just wait for PMDT to fuel your hope; take charge! Create hype events! Contribte by running events! Even if no one shows up, try harder to get players, gamers, whoever wants to play! Create a welcoming, positive environment for anyone looking to play games! You must believe, even naively, that, no matter what circumstance, PM will be OK and there is no reason to panic, because you are working to make a better scene. Try to act as a role model for all of the Smash scenes. Whether or not PM is in any kind of "danger," it will not grow unless people take initiative and show dedication to the game, the same way Melee, N64, and Brawl grew from love rather than negative attitudes. Making sacrifices for your local community, including taking time and effort to find events and attend them or make your own, goes a long way in creating a better PM scene, and it shows a deeply positive attitude in the face of any type of looming dramas.

You, yes you, can create a positive environment for the game we love. I certainly think you can, and I hope PMDT and your local scene does too. But don't believe in me, and don't believe in PMDT or your community, believe in you, that you have something you can contribute to all of us by showing dedication and perseverance to Project M. Show the passion that PM, as well as every other Smash game, needs, from the local community to the national and international ones, and on the internet. Smash has done it before and it will do it again when it needs to. Because as long as you love the game, others will follow and the game will be strong. “If you build it, they will come.”

I made this article partly in response to a lot of fear, confusion, and frustration I had seen on the subreddit here after this week’s disheartening announcement from Big House 5. My point here is that in spite of any scary things going on in the Smash scene, things will still be OK, and we’re going to make it. Banding together as a community for the games we care about will help immensely in overcoming community hurdles like legality issues and lack of representation at major tournaments. But I think no problem is too big for us to overcome if we stay positive, keep focused, and keep collected in the face of challenge.

I hope this MoM helps you succeed in competition and helps the community manage uncertainties in the future.

-Orangegluon
---​

SmashCapps wishes he had written that, it was incredibly well done! To keep up with all things Smash, follow SmashCapps on Twitter.

Last edited:

Legato

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LLegato
Very good post! I love seeing something so positive for project M. They have done great work, and I think our entire community should be happy for them, whether we play it or not.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Leffen should read this.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Im too positive on everything.

Along is good, we enjoy it.

Melee is good, Project M is AWESOME and Smash 4 is a Masterpiece.
We need...

RESPECT, LOVE AND FRIENDSHIP.

Last edited:

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
This post was LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
Lol my bad, I was just happy it was well under 15k character (the limit for reddit posts). Other articles have gone a fair amount over that and had to be cut down/edited a lot. PlayOnSunday doesn't impose much regulation on the articles so I think I'll just blame him for the length.

Nights Owl

Smash Apprentice
When did Nintendo promote a tourney where Project M was at? I'm curious. o-o

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
When did Nintendo promote a tourney where Project M was at? I'm curious. o-o
BAM7 recently got a shoutout from Nintendo of Australia on Twitter + a link. However I'm not sure if they outright supported any media that had PM's name on it.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
"Don't believe in me, believe in the you that believes in yourself."

Orangegluon confirmed to be Kamina. 9.9

But a whole lot of this. Yes, it's boils down to basically the same thing that people have heard for months (create your own tournaments, support your locals etc.), but that's because it's necessary, especially with a positive attitude in times like these.

Still curious about why PM got dropped from BH5, though.

T0MMY

Smash Master
This topic is very important. I wrote a series of articles for AiB's content regarding a lot of what this talks about. I cannot stress it enough when giving advice.
Also, I love the title - Mind over Meta - very good pun!

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
BAM7 also wasnt a PM tourney.
Project Melbourne happened on the friday, before BAM7 weekend.
Ah sorry, I was mistaken. I thought the two events were the same.

In any case, the example of Nintendo supporting a PM event was a somewhat exaggerated example of things going really well for the purpose of writing the article :p

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
There is a word for this, actually. It is grit.

Also known as resilience, perseverance, hardiness, etc.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Being positive and confident is good up until a point. Then you start getting to be overconfident, and stop focusing as much because you think the task is not that difficult. Overconfidence happens to me a lot, especially when doing anything tougher than what other people cannot do because of the "I'm the only one in town that can even beat this, I should be able to handle this no problem", which while it can make me change my playstyle to be different from what it normally is (allowing me to learn other things sometimes), it also makes me make mistakes from time to time.

Though I will admit, it surprises me just how many people think lowly of themselves when they play games that have any sort of difficulty in them.

Also, if you play any team games, you'd be surprised how infectious the confidence and positivity can be if you put yourself in a leader role, do well (but not too well that it makes the teammates feel worthless, if there's a game where the skill matters too much), and say the right things.

Once upon a time I my anxiety used to be horrible, even online, but I would play some co-op games and I always seemed to get really terrible teams, thus causing about a 70% chance of losing. So I decided to take a leader role because I was so angry that people were being so "stupid". At first I didn't lead very well because I was not confident enough to say things in the right way, or to even stand by my decisions. I couldn't get anyone to do anything. Then eventually I got pissed off again and stopped caring about what people thought, and gained confidence to properly take a leader role. Then it's like friggin magic seeing how fast people can do basically 2-3 times better in a match just because you started being a good leader. And from then on, I never lost a match in the regular game modes I was playing.
..... On one side I was like "YES! I can lead people to victory!". other side was like "CRAP! I don't want to have to be responsible for leading people!". Cause well, I like to be a follower, I dislike being a leader.
On a side note, it's easier for your teammates to get inspired if you can be seen by them, I noticed this because of when I started using melee/close range characters instead of a sniper/long range characters. Also, saying negative things to teammates never does well for confidence, and also makes them not want to listen to you, so there's no reason to be a jerk when you try to lead (something many people need to learn, never was a problem for me, I avoid insulting people as much as possible).

Sorry for the wall of text. Just the topic interested me, and I wanted to share a story. :bubblebobble:

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
...This article brought something to light for me. I've had difficulty keeping myself together during later matches due to the fact I've tended to fall into the "I Suck" or "I'm an Idiot" tendency and tend to see myself bad at Smash 4 when I actually am good at the game to some extent. There are things to improve always, but thinking positively can turn people's lives around and let them look at things in a different light instead of the harsh, negative way of things.

Top Bottom