• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miiverse Daily Smash 4 Photos (Closed for its successor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
And everyone was expecting nothing... unpredictable Sakurai is unpredictable until being unpredictable

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Does anyone know what Sakurai means by "Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage." Did something happen in Brawl when you got to 100? I don't remember anything like that.
Characters that are at or above 100% damage will take longer to get up from ledge (this includes their attack and "get up" options being different and slower, and will hold the ledge for a shorter time before auto falling.

Example: Below 100% Pit does a low kick at decent speed from the ledge. At or above 100%, he slowly gets up and does a reaching stab, making it easier to react against said attack.

Now this is something I'm actually interested in to see, to see even the ledge game change.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai is doing something competitive related?

This is a kickass update.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Well, descriptions are nice but we won't really know the full implications until we get our hands on it. But good update nonetheless.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
OH NO!!! I forgot about Yoshi?? How is AMSA going to play a crazy invincible Yoshi without edge grab invincibility? (That wave land to upair was pretty sweet though) this will help low tiers sure but higher tiers? I can't see it benefiting them other than keeping them from getting gimped. along with everyone else. I wonder how much invincibility you can get. Probably 2 minutes worth with 999% or something.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So edgehoging is no longer gonna be foolproof. I hope it still works to an extent but it's nice to see tether characters will have a better chance.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sakurai really is listening to fans complaining about balance and gameplay problems!

Nice!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I'M SO FLIPPING HAPPY, NO MORE LEDGE CAMPING, NO MORE EXCESSIVE AIR DODGES, HIT STUN IS WORKING LIKE IT SHOULD......

DAT NAMCO INFLUENCE! I LOVE IT!

Wow out of left field Sakurai lays down some nice gameplay info that's actually very technical. How exactly it works we won't know, but this will definitely help out characters who need the edge to recover like Link (who, oddly enough, has a history of bad recoveries and coincidentally being used as an example) have solid recoveries. The over 100% attacks from ledge were fairly risky, but we're almost like a delayed get up attack mix up, which now that I think about it would be cool if you could delay ledge attacks.

This really makes me feel comfortable that Sakurai is addressing the balance issues in smash. A nice acknowledgment of the competitive scene if you ask me.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'll hopefully somewhat explain this well enough:

- In the initial picture, Mario was hogging the edge. When Mario lost invincibility and performed a different action, Link grabbed the edge. Mario then experienced hitstun. This effectively makes edgehogging more difficult to perform.
- In all previous games, damage plays a role in some properties. If you have a lot of damage, you are grabbed much longer in Brawl, for example. Similarly this is what Sakurai explains about invincibility time on the edge. But whether low % = less invicinbility or vice versa, we can't really say without seeing footage. On top of that, how long you are in the air is another variable for invincibility time. Less invincibility for those who just drop down and keep regrabbing the edge, more for those who are actually trying to recover from the blast line. All in all it makes edgehogging more difficult.
- The last bullet is fairly obvious. In all 3 games you jump/attack/recover faster when you grab a ledge with <100%, but slower with >100%. I suppose this doesn't happen anymore given the information.

What does this mean? Basically, it is a very effective balancing tool, especially for how Brawl gave edgehogging an extreme advantage (long invincibility on top of Brawl's defensive game, and auto-sweetspot ledges.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Sakurai said:
Some other changes include:
-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge.
-Grab controls will no longer be affected by whether you have above or below 100% damage.
Love all these changes.

Good job Sakruai and co!!!! :)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
2. Regarding damage, assume you get killed and come back to your opponent being at a higher percent. You knock him offstage, and go for the edgehog. Since youre at a lower percent, you have greater invincibility to play with for edge hogging.
Don't you think since it seems he's trying to cater to the one grabbing the ledge and not edge hogging that the players with a higher percent get more invincibility?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Sakurai thoroughly addresses the problem of planking. It looks like stealing a ledge from someone at the last moment actively rejects them with an animation (so if you jump out to disrupt planking, you're going to be given a punish opportunity for hitting the ledge first that leaves them precariously off-stage whereas given the nature of it you probably end up back on-stage if you fail). If they hang out on the ledge, they get less invincibility. Finally, the last change is a little mysterious; I don't know if he means that they removed the difference between over 100% ledge actions (which generally were a huge disadvantage) or if they mean you can hold onto the ledge without being forced to let go the same amount at all damages (I'm not sure, but I think you were forced to drop faster at high damage, but it was such a long time always that it was competitively irrelevant). Regardless, I'm very impressed by this solution; Sakurai is taking a bad game aspect, fixing it, and doing so in a carefuly way that doesn't compromise the good parts of core gameplay.

This is by far the best update we've gotten so far either way, and it definitely trumps even a newcomer. This addressed one of the largest core issues that hurt Brawl at a competitive level and to be honest was a bit of a problme in Melee too (see: Sheik). I had been wondering what actions Sakurai would take to address this issue, and I'm pleased with the answer. Even more, seeing this issue tackled so directly gives me hope that the other corner abuses that transform smash bros into a nightmare (like the long chaingrabs) will have similar throughtful fixes applied.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
what i think this all means:

there is just one get up attack and animation, which i think is good for this type of game.
i hope this opens the door for special ledge attacks.

i think this helps recovering. unlike melee where it was really hard to recovery "sweetspotting" the edge, i think this will favor more to the one who is recovering.

i also think the more damage you have, the more invincibility frames you get, just to make sure you dont get gimped before you get on the stage again and have a fighting chance.

i also think recovering from below will more than likely grab the ledge first than someone recovering from above. so no more, quick edgehogs at the last second, which leads me to ledge grabbing priority.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
This is a wonderful change and I'm even more excited for the game now. With this, now you only get a good amount of invincibility if you're actually recovering or you have a high percentage (which probably means you're losing). So anybody who's purposely trying to either time out by re-grabbing the ledge, won't be able to! They're finally making the ledge a place you DON'T want to be.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i also wonder.... if in helpless state: can you footstool someone who is grabbing the ledge?

or in my previous suggestion (not the one made here but one i have had for a while), where if someone is grabbing the ledge, you can grab onto that person instead of the ledge. and then there would be some mechanics in play that allow you to either

1) climb over the person grabbing the ledge
2) pull the person off the ledge
3) the person on the ledge kicks you off
4) the person on the ledge gets up, you the person with them, but after they get up, you are now grabbing the ledge.

i think character weight and damage, would affect who gets pulled off, kicked off, or pulled up.
in teams i think this would help a teammate with recovering.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
GUYS!

This night may get even better!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
So... gameplay stuff. That's pretty neat actually.

Oh, and what's up with the Palutena image?

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Wow, coupled with the subtraction of Brawl's easy-grab ledges it seems like Smash's off-stage game is a lot different. Good to see Sakurai's switching things up, especially if that means taking a step back from the overly casual-friendly Brawl. ... Yep. That was way too many hyphens in one post.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I kinda doubt that Palutena's real. I swear she looked a little more cartoonish proportion-wise in Kid Icarus Uprising.
aah! again with the hyphens!

I wouldn't get to excited about the Palutena picture guys, word is the guy who posted it said she is an assist trophy. "So yay legit leak! Oh wait, it's a deconformation?" *board explodes*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom