• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MetaKnight Infinite Dimensional Cape - hope you enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Good god you people don't seem to get it! Every single one of you are saying "You should ban it for stalling but not to use it" but nobody proposes how to actually handle that. Nobody is addressing ways to make this easier to monitor, they are all in the basic denial of the fact that people will use this beyond any arbitrary time limit because of the VERY fact that it is hard to monitor and enforce.

I'm backing Yuna on this. It seems like establishing an arbitrary time limit would cause a lot of confusion and abuse, as like Yuna has said people will go over the time if there isn't a stop watch. This is a TO's nightmare. If this was allowed anyone playing Meta will either abuse the rule or have other people abuse it on them saying they went over. Yeah, for those who weren't really thinking this is indeed a double edged sword.

If the tournament comes to a halt over people constantly squabbling over something which is entirely an arbitrary time limit in the first place... well it makes more sense to just ban it. MK is already one of the best characters in the game, so it's not like you guys needed something extra to bolster his metagame.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
interesting point....

the more i played around with it the more ridiculous i felt it was

i probably wont even think about using it in competition but gonna abuse it to hell in friendlies no doubt.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
as much as i dont want to see the sexiest AT so far slip away from my main im gonna have to switch my opinion and want it banned. I DO NOT want to have someone use it against me.... :(

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
It's like they gave Meta Knight active camo and an over shield along with his maneuverability. He's a friggin' Ninjanaut only better because he can't be touched. He doesn't even need to do it constantly for it to be stalling. Just teleport for the "time limit" appear in some random location where it's not expected and reset. I'm surprised there's even debate on whether or not this should be banned.

Dojo

Smash Champion
It's like they gave Meta Knight active camo and an over shield along with his maneuverability. He's a friggin' Ninjanaut only better because he can't be touched. He doesn't even need to do it constantly for it to be stalling. Just teleport for the "time limit" appear in some random location where it's not expected and reset. I'm surprised there's even debate on whether or not this should be banned.
And that would be considered excessive stalling. Der. It's getting banned. End of story...

Saltix

Smash Lord
You know what I say? I'm semi new here, and I want to know... If you ban it here, who's gonna ban it in real life? The IC chaingrab is banned in Texas, but not in other states. If this gets banned here, where else will it get banned.

I for one, am against banning this one. I do however understand Yuna is coming from. It's kind of obvious when its used for stalling purposes....Stopwatches aren't needed for this. There's a little rule that in this day and age we seem to have forgotten by the overloading of rules and regulations: Disqualifications.

10 seconds left, MK gets that extra 2% and proceeds to MIDCape as I call it, its obvious what he did, and he should thus be disqualified. But in the same sense, 20 seconds left, DDD hits Pit off the side of FD, Pit flies under it to the other side only to be greeted by an Edgeguarding DDD. If Pit flies back to the other side of FD to try to get on the stage and finish his match, is he stalling? If that's the case, why not ban his wings?

The thing is this is based off the judgement of the person using it. If it was used for stalling, which is obvious it was >__> Ban it. Until then, leave it alone.

GodotAA

Smash Ace
its true that some states may ban it and others may not this is just peoples opinions which effect those states. even if people dont use it to stall if you use it for even 5 seconds just to get to the other side of FD or to dodge falco's lasersyour still running the clock whether you think so or not. which can still be considered stalling.

Dojo

Smash Champion
We dont really ban the chaingrab in texas at all. It's been an issue. But they still use it. I'll leave that where it is.

I agree with how you stated your argument, but I really doubt it's gonna happen... those guys are adamant in there decision already...

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone noticed, due to the extreme difficulty to maintain, that this ought to be called the "extended" dimensional cape instead of infinite? Also, with the stalling arguement, nearly every character has some sort of tech that CAN potentially be used to stall gameplay (laser lock, chaingrabbing, infinates), but unless they're used exclusively for the purpose of stalling, there's really no problem. When everyone looks for anything remotely gamebreaking, everything (in a nutshell) will eventually break down into a game of pong, no variation, no advantages, no uniqueness, nada.

Saltix

Smash Lord
its true that some states may ban it and others may not this is just peoples opinions which effect those states. even if people dont use it to stall if you use it for even 5 seconds just to get to the other side of FD or to dodge falco's lasersyour still running the clock whether you think so or not. which can still be considered stalling.
But in that case, laser locking, IB Locking, and even something as simple as continous jab attacks are stalling too. I get what your saying though.

And nobody answered my question of who goes by the smashboards ban rules yet :[

GodotAA

Smash Ace
It would be cool if it wasn't banned. but i can see how people can abuse this and i wouldn't want to get stalled out like that.

I would love to use it to extend my ledge hog, or use it to get around spam, but i know a few people who would abuse it too much.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Sorry, but I'm completely with Yuna. Metaknight will be the only playable character that can win a tourney if this technique is mastered, even if it's not used to stall. Perhaps it might not help him beat Snake, but then it's a game of Metaknight and Snake, and no other characters would be playable.

Now, some might argue that I'm saying that I wouldn't ban this tech if it was discovered with a low tier character, but that's not true at all. I still also agree with pretty much everything Yuna has said on the topic.

There's ATs, there's Broken ATs, and then there are Godlike ATs. This is a Godlike AT that is character specific and needs to be banned. You're all going to be mad as hell when a MK pulls this **** on you.

Now . . . I'm off to test it out, lol. Can't wait to invite all my friends over tomorrow and not tell them how to do it!

Quez256

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but I'm completely with Yuna. Metaknight will be the only playable character that can win a tourney if this technique is mastered, even if it's not used to stall. Perhaps it might not help him beat Snake, but then it's a game of Metaknight and Snake, and no other characters would be playable.

Now, some might argue that I'm saying that I wouldn't ban this tech if it was discovered with a low tier character, but that's not true at all. I still also agree with pretty much everything Yuna has said on the topic.

There's ATs, there's Broken ATs, and then there are Godlike ATs. This is a Godlike AT that is character specific and needs to be banned. You're all going to be mad as hell when a MK pulls this **** on you.

Now . . . I'm off to test it out, lol. Can't wait to invite all my friends over tomorrow and not tell them how to do it!
Ookay, so; Screw a tournament opponent, that's bad. Screw a casual opponent, that's ok?

Hypocrisy FTW >.>

Saltix

Smash Lord
Anyways, I still having trouble doing it for one second >__>
Down-B to immediate C-Up spam?

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Wow, the first truly broken thing in Brawl. Snakes F Tilt, Dancing Blade, Whorenado, stuff that people complain of as broken and they are of course proven wrong with people saying, no AKUMA is broken, Snake isn't etc. I think infinite invinci and invisi bility are classed as broken somehow.

This has to be banned in all situations, HAS TO BE. This is the most broken thing in the history of Smash and yes I include Wobbling in that, because atleast then you had to get the grab, which with IC's was difficult if your opponent knew how to desync and space well

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Ookay, so; Screw a tournament opponent, that's bad. Screw a casual opponent, that's ok?

Hypocrisy FTW >.>
You already know, lol
Money competition, and skill is one thing, but what's fun is fun and that's the end of that. There are no banning in a friendly between friends.
Furthermore, if it was a serious match, I wouldn't resort to a cheap technique. Just because I'm a Marth main doesn't mean my bro can't fight me with Ness. He knows I won't infinitely grab him.

But Karma isn't on my side, I can't seem to do it. I actually think I managed to do it a few times, but it only lasted a few seconds. I'm gonna see if I can find a vid or something.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I for one, am against banning this one. I do however understand Yuna is coming from. It's kind of obvious when its used for stalling purposes....Stopwatches aren't needed for this.
But here is the thing, at what point is it considered stalling? How long do you have to go for it to be stalling? If it is a time (which it HAS to be, obviously) then who is going to gauge how long they used it? Who is going to abuse the fact that there won't be someone there monitoring every match with a stop watch? Who is going to claim that they went over when the Meta didn't?
There's a little rule that in this day and age we seem to have forgotten by the overloading of rules and regulations: Disqualifications.
Whoop-ty-doo! You DQ someone for stalling with this technique, but you have yet to define what stalling with this technique is! Congrats on not thinking it through. If you don't define what is stalling, then you will make unfair judgement calls, as how the heck is the player to know what you consider stalling? If you do define what stalling is, you still have to deal with the fact that this rule is retardedly hard to enforce and literally it is begging to be exploited as it is impossible to expect a TO to be able to have the staff to monitor matches.
Has anyone noticed, due to the extreme difficulty to maintain, that this ought to be called the "extended" dimensional cape instead of infinite?
If it's possible to maintain people will build up the necessary skills to do it indefinitely. This was just recently discovered, so you shouldn't expect it to be impossible to maintain.
true quez, but people are freakin stubborn.
I like how people who disagree with you are stubborn, yet you don't consider yourself stubborn, ESPECIALLY considering that you shrug off all the criticisms we have brought up. Congrats. Have you ever ran a tournament? Do you know how hard it is to enforce the smaller rules like this?

shadowlink3

Smash Journeyman
mookie woohhh calm down there buddy, i have ran a tourney dude trust me. i know how this is, i am stubborn, but i am saying that they are cause they are like "a mk trick, a broken 1 that CAN be used to do this, ban **** it ban mk while your at it, or at least his whole down B in general"

-Ran

Smash Master
Meta Knight is already a floaty character to begin with. Someone wouldn't even really need to spam the Infinite 'Cape' the entire match after doing damage. Really, only when they are in harms way. Everything else would be covered by blocking/dodging/running away. Let's not forget the Tornado.

So really, a Meta Knight could do...

Tornado Spam ---> Get 60% ---> Spam Infinite Cape / Run around / Dodge ---> Opponent is now chasing Meta Knight --> Restart Cycle?

I see this, after research is done, and particular players attempt to use it, as one of the first things that honestly will need to be banned from Brawl Competitive play. It fits the criteria.

1. 'Ease' of Use. Conceivable to master. We wave Dashed, didn't we? We L Canceled, didn't we?
2. Movement + Invincibility.
3. Invisibility
4. Works vs all characters.
5. Ability to Stall matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom