• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Officially Banned!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

this.

more peach/ROB/lucario/whatever means i can use my main more because even if it theoretically means more D3 no one plays D3 so no prob :3

I PROPOSE EVERYONE WHO NEVER BOTHERED PICKING UP A POCKET MK ALL HAVE A CELEBRATORY TOAST

CHEERS
I'm actually on my way to Cedar Point as we speak. I'll celebrate by riding roller coasters.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
NO NO WAY

Why dont americans restrict ****ing stages?
before banning Character which restricts the players' action , you should ban stages whitch are TOO GOOD for MK
Current rulesets have advantages for Mk players too much, so you should change rulesets.

I talk about this at twitter, MANY Japanese players agreed my opinion.

no way

there you go but Suinoko it wont be banned at apex no worries.

NO NO WAY

before banning Character which restricts the players' action , you should ban stages whitch are TOO GOOD for MK
Current rulesets have advantages for Mk players too much, so you should change rulesets.

no way
Metaknight is amazing on all the stages. Less stages would harm other characters more than it would harm Metaknight.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I voted for the ban. Hopefully the other TO's will speak up in a similar fashion. TOs in the committee cannot speak for others but may post for themselves what their reasons were. Here are my credentials.

MLG Orlando 2010 (183 Entrants)
MLG Columbus 2010 (250 Entrants)
MLG Raleigh 2010 (148 Entrants)
MLG DC 2010 (174 Entrants)
MLG Dallas 2010 National Championship (182 Entrants)

Seasons Beatings III (63 Entrants)
Seasons Beatings IV (40 Entrants)

Delta Upsilon I (33 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon II (30 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon III (22 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon IV (21 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon V (32 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon VI (30 Entrants)
Delta Upsilon VII (24 Entrants)
Delta UPsilon VIII (18 Entrants)

Wings & Brew I (24 Entrants)
Wings & Brew II (26 Entrants)
Wings & Brew III (32 Entrants)
Wings & Brew IV (24 Entrants)
Wings & Brew V (20 Entrants)

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
So obviously, there're the advanced social civilizations, Europe and Japan. Just... dealing with it.

Then there's America. Oh god, America...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Metaknight is amazing on all the stages. Less stages would harm other characters more than it would harm Metaknight.
The hell? Less stages make a lot more matchups more balanced since there's no BS gimmicks that you can abuse with certain characters.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I disagree, the Japanese stage list is less aerial and less favorable to MK.

He still doesn't have any disadvantageous matchups if he's allowed even Smashville or Battlefield though, so I think Japan is just band-aiding

D

Deleted member

Yep, and Meta Knight harms overall stage variety, as well as requiring surgical rules against him.

This ban was necessary.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
NO NO WAY

no way
because we value stages more than you do.

if we banned every stage that MK was too good on. we'd be left with YI:B since he cant scrooge

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I disagree, the Japanese stage list is less aerial and less favorable to MK.

He still doesn't have any disadvantageous matchups if he's allowed even Smashville or Battlefield though, so I think Japan is just band-aiding
Japan's smaller stage list is a case of them using that stage list since the beginning, not a result of trying to keep Meta Knight in the game.

ElDominio

Smash Journeyman
Why is there this "ban stage first, then character" mentality??? How is it any good?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
yes i know , althougl it is GAY
NO WAY
cant win so ban? Look again ruleset stages
Suinoko, there have been many tournaments with Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar banned. That's about as far as you can go with banning stages MK is overpowered on without getting ridiculous (there's simply no valid reason to ban Frigate or Delfino for example). The fact is that even with Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar gone, MK has still been shown to dominate. Don't assume that these kinds of things haven't been tried before.

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
What makes a character's moveset so good that its bannable? The ability to indefinitely run away is a good reason to ban, however thats NOT why a majority of you voted. He has a strong moveset, but that's hardly a reason to ban.

Oh well, who cares about making sense when you lost to the last mid-level MK and came to SWF to complain about it?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
For me it was a combination of the following for why I voted for the ban:
-Meta Knight being used by almost 20% of players and this number continually increased (projected for 35% of all players by next year)
-Meta Knight winning upwards of 40-50% of all money in a given week
-Meta Knight requiring multiple rules JUST to keep him legal. More and more people wanting EVERYTHING ELSE BANNED except for MK, just to keep MK legal
-The community being overwhelmingly for the ban since about 18 months ago, with polls 18 months ago at over 60% in favor to more recent polls being over 75% in favor of the ban
-Meta Knight IS broken. He has zero bad match ups on any stage and when played correctly (aka air camp or planking but we basically banned/limited planking) no one should touch him.

The hell? Less stages make a lot more matchups more balanced since there's no BS gimmicks that you can abuse with certain characters.
BS gimmicks that certain characters can abuse is exactly what I'm talking about. They give other characters and advantage, and removing them would be a nerf.

Although MK is "an aerial character", he's good because he's able to adapt to any terrain, mostly because of his good aerial and grounded attacks. By grounded, I mean DTilt, FTilt, DSmash, Tornado, UpB, FRoll, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom