• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight AT: Buffering Forward Tilts

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Now, I don't know how widely this is known, but by the looks of it, it's not very known at all (or at least to American players from what I've seen, I've seen only Tyrant do it maybe once and I've seen Japanese MK's do it numerous times). I've seen NO guides whatsoever that have this AT in it, and I actually had to teach myself how to do it, so I'm writing this.

What I'm referring to is the advanced technique of buffering forward tilts to make them come out as fast as possible (up to all three hits in less than a quarter of a second). Now, just about every decent Meta Knight user knows that you can get the Ftilt to come out as fast as possible by down tilting first. But did you know you can actually do this out of just about any action? And I've figured out how to do it consistently! So I'm here to share.

I was actually unaware of this technique until around March when I saw Otori and Rain performing it after a downthrow, or Otori and Kakera doing it after scoring a KO. After a few months of seeing it from the Japanese MK's, I decided to learn how to do it, and I figured it out and learned to do it consistently.
Now, for those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, watch the first six seconds of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmMfqt9j-t4 It is performed once by Otori when he airdodges to the ground and unleashes the first two hits of MK's ftilt, and then it is performed once by Rain after he downthrows and unleashes all three hits of MK's ftilt. Notice how fast they come out? Wanna know how to do that too? Now you can.

This may seem hard to understand at first, and I apologize I'm not the best at explaining it, but I'll try my best.

Two hits

So basically, the technique is performed by, right before you're about to be able to perform another move (Ex: right before your spotdodge animation finishes), slide your control stick (you can keep it slid for as long as you want before the animation ends) slightly in the direction you want to ftilt (You can do it either way facing either direction), tap A once, and let go of your control stick, letting it slide back to neutral position BEFORE YOU FINISH THE ANIMATION YOU'RE DOING IT OUT OF, and if you performed it correctly and quick enough, you should unleash the first two hits of Ftilt as fast as possible. Practice this a lot and try to get the timing down as best as possible. I recommend practicing doing it out of a spotdodge. When you get the timing down, you will be able to do it out of anything with the correct timing.

Chaining Ftilts

As I stated earlier, this can be done out of pretty much ANYTHING with correct timing. That's right! You can even do buffered ftilts out of buffered ftilts! This is pretty easy once you can do the basic technique itself. Basically, all you have to do is do one two-hit buffered Ftilt, and then RIGHT AFTER as your second hit comes out, and I mean within maybe 200 milliseconds of the second hit, tap the control stick in the opposite direction the first ftilt was performed in, and press A as you release it. On the second one, you can tap the control stick to the edge of its boundary. Now remember, this needs to be done RIGHT AFTER. Otherwise it won't work and you will end up doing either a Slow Ftilt, a Jab, or a Forward Smash. Also, make sure you press A as you're releasing the control stick. With this tactic, you can actually chain as many as possible ^^ My record from the day of learning it is 15 buffered ftilts in a row (meaning 30 hits), see if you can beat it! :D

The third Hit

You might be saying to yourself, "So uhh, how do you get three hits out? When I tried this it only did the first two and I couldn't get the third to come out really fast >.<". Well, good news! The day after I learned the two hits, I learned how to get the third hit in as well! It's not very hard to pull off, and it's super useful for following up dthrow at low percents. It may seem tricky at first, but it is easily mastered with practice ^^. It's performed basically the same way as the two hit, but you add one more action to the equation this time. All you have to do is, when the first two hits are coming out, quickly press the c stick forward. The third hit should come out as smoothly as the others if you do it correctly. This is a great follow up for Down throws and if you get even just the third hit in, you get a throw with 15-16%!

The only way to get better at doing this is to practice, and after doing it for a few weeks I just today nearly perfected how to do it out of a downthrow. Eventually, you get used to the timing, and it comes naturally.

Uses

-Great for follow ups
-Good for tricking your opponent
-Can be used out of anything with correct timing
-Good follow up for down throw

Not only that but it's hella flashy and it's one of the sexiest AT's ever ^^

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I do this very often, but the way I do it is by manually pressing A frame-by-frame perfect haha. Thanks for the info!

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
I do this very often, but the way I do it is by manually pressing A frame-by-frame perfect haha. Thanks for the info!
Hmm, no matter how fast I press A normally I can't get it to come out as fast as this :p You must have some fast fingers then!

AlanHaTe

Smash Ace
until today I found this thread, thanks a lot for sharing this info noe I know how to do it without having to press ridiculously fast the A button and hurting myself :D

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
u can do it with dtilt to get amazing fast things?
Yes, by down tilting and tilting your control stick diagonally down and in the direction you're facing, and basically mashing A, you can get it to come out as fast as possible, just like with this technique.

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
you can do it out of anything, you just need to know the timing
Yup ^^ and as you practice it more and more, you'll be able to do it out of pretty much anything with ease! I can do it out of almost everything already.

TSM ZeRo

It is pretty hard to do. And since MK really has no "AT's", any technical trick "can be" considered an AT for MK.

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
I'd consider auto-cancel nado an AT along with IDC and the Halberd stage glitch.

:018:
Why do people call the soft landing an auto cancel with Tornado? Just doesn't really make sense, because there's no real special timing, you're just landing closer to the ground and not having special fall.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Well, at least the part of returning to stick to neutral and tilt it again before starting the buffer isn't too obvious and needed someone to point it out....

TSM ZeRo

Yeah, it's practice. At first I couldn't do it out of anything, now I can do it whenever and wherever I want. Of course after I spent a lot of days just jabbing after spot dodging in training mode lol

sGale

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sGaley
3DS FC
4484-8977-1421
I was in training mode for a while too xD Now I do it pretty consistently out of D-Throw or D-Tilt. It's just getting the timing down and developing it into muscle memory.

Vega4

Smash Ace
Lol, is it normal that I found doing this pretty much easier to do than the gliding without grabbing the ledge AT?
I am doing this with some regularity in less than 10 minutes, but the gliding ATis another story :S

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
This one AT is super easy, it took me like 3 tries to get it down.
The other one is extremely hard to perform correctly because if you input it too late it will snap the ledge, or you press the stick too strong and you'll glide down. It is pretty safe still but difficult to get correctly.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Lol, is it normal that I found doing this pretty much easier to do than the gliding without grabbing the ledge AT?
I am doing this with some regularity in less than 10 minutes, but the gliding ATis another story :S
If you understand the mechanics behind it then this is less technical than a retreating Up-B cancel.

Kimidori

Smash Apprentice
Different AT's are harder for some people than others. Since I was figuring it out with nothing to go on other than what it could be done out of (which I later discovered was everything), it took me a while. But it really depends on how you understand the explanation (which isn't the best, but it's kind of difficult to explain).

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Let me see if I can simplify this.
Step 1)Spotdodge or dthrow
Step 2)Buffer a slight tilt
Step 3)Hit A
Step 4)Control stick return to neutral.

Also great find.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The Spotdodge/Dthrow are for practice purposes, but it can be buffered from pretty much every move.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I'm confused do people really need a guide to know about buffering ftilt?
Umm...if you payed attention it's not simply the only first hit of ftilt...it's both and it has to do with tilting hitting A and releasing.Wait though,you have to learn the timing after the move you want to follow it up with.You have to apply it into muscle memory,so it's not as simple as an easy buffered ftilt.It's similar to Falco's BDACUS but much less rewarding.

Top Bottom