• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sub-Project Melee Toolbox Side Project | Projekt Neko

Doq

Smash Lord
So I had brought up the idea in the Melee, Hacks, and You thread of a AIO mod repository and patcher for Melee. I also stated that I started development of it. Here I'll outline development and releases of this program, which will be called Projekt Neko, up until its stable release.

As you have probably read in the title of this thread, upon completion of Projekt Neko, it will be merged with the Melee Toolbox project and will be called Melee Library Autopatcher.

The goal of Melee Library Autopatcher is it will be a modular application, similar to DRGN's Melee Code Manager, but for file replacement instead of code. Melee Library Autopatcher will check for a library update at startup, and will apply it if it exists. It uses the power of GCr to make these changes directly to your image when you're ready to apply.

Checklist of items planned for Projekt Neko (by priority):
Really Important
[x] Implement file patching code
[x] Add support for grabbing library updates from the Internet
[ ] Upload library updates to the Internet, will probably host library files personally.
Important
[x] Make it pretty with ASCII art like Melee Toolbox
[ ] Compile all known characters, stages, and music
Not very Important
[x] Clean up code. A lot of Melee Toolbox leftover code remains.
Wishlist
[ ] Detection of which Melee you're using (SDR, 20XX, MNCB, vM)
[ ] Support for files larger than what the image defines

Why the name "Projekt Neko"?
I have an obsessive addiction to catgirls. Don't judge me.

lgi

Last edited:

Zarkdion

Smash Apprentice
Sooo, if I understand you correctly, I won't have to use GCR to patch in my 20XX anymore? Also, mac support?

Doq

Smash Lord
Sooo, if I understand you correctly, I won't have to use GCR to patch in my 20XX anymore? Also, mac support?
Maybe in a future development of Projekt Neko. For now, there is no way of injecting files that are larger using the command line. So you'll have to use GCr to install 20XX initially, then you can use Projekt Neko for textures/stages/music.

Mac support may never happen because of reliance on Windows-specific applications. That's why Melee Toolbox isn't ported yet.

DRGN

Technowizard
Premium
I think this would be pretty sweet.

Might be able to just have everything available through both command line (for automation) and GUI (for browsing and ease of use). The GUI could even have previews, so you know what things are without having to boot up the game just to test.

Though even besides the work of creating the library, it would be a lot of work to manage what goes into the library. Packages for each mod would need to be standardized so that the programs can work with them all (e.g. following a pattern of all files contained in a zip, or folder within a zip, + other specifics). Something that would be particularly cool is that packages don't need to be limited to one file or even one type of file. In such cases, all of the parts of the mod could be installed/uninstalled together as one item (though there could be checkboxes, so you can toggle different parts if you wanted to). So the 'Debug Menu Replaces Tournament Mode' texture could be packaged with the ASM to actually enable it. Same thing with the stage striking code and stage striking texture. Stage mods could include audio and/or other codes that should be run with it (maybe the program would also handle the code for putting it on the SSS, if necessary). Character packages could also contain stock icons and/or audio. Etc. The modularity of ASM with the existing full game modes like 20XX or SD Remix might be really tricky though.

Doq

Smash Lord
So this is what the first actual build looks like. Since I slipstreamed the development of Projekt Neko with that of Melee Toolbox, it's a pretty safe guess that the Melee Toolbox will look similar.

It is not quite ready to release yet, however. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Top Bottom