• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Night in Canada #12 - March 21st

idea

Smash Master

^ I kinda want to replace this with something else. Any ideas?
Windrose, please make us another silly graphic

Melee Night in Canada Monthlies

Next: Saturday, March 21st

Stream: Twitch.tv/EvenMatchupGaming
(except not on March 21st)
Facebook Event: Here

4700 Keele Street
Founders College Rm. 152 Assembly Hall

(The GOML/TCU Venue)
Toronto, Ontario, Canada​

Current GTA Power Ranking:

Previous monthly tournament results:

Note to self - update this part soon
July 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
------------------------
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011

Videos:

EvenMatchupGaming - YouTube
EvenMatchupGaming - Twitch

Main Ontario Tournament VODs and Tubes Thread

TeamManoPo
MeleeAtlNorth

Older video sources:

JethrotexMeleeFun
ACGamesOnline
DRLgaming

unknown522
MysterySauc3
theESChamp

Previous monthly video threads:

Melee Night in Canada: Industrial Resolution
6-4 Matchup #27

6-4 Matchup #20
6-4 Matchup #19
6-4 Matchup #18
6-4 Matchup #17
6-4 Matchup #14
6-4 Matchup #13

Schedule:

Depends on various factors, but roughly:

12:00 PM: Doors open + registration
1:00 PM: Singles Pools begin (usually in two waves)
4:00 PM/End of Singles Pools: Doubles Bracket begins
6:00 PM/End of Doubles Bracket: Singles Bracket begins
10:00 PM: Tournament ends and venue closes

Prices:

Venue fee: $10
Singles: $10
Doubles: $10 per person ($20 per team)

Payouts:

Singles

Under 16 Entrants
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%

16-32 Entrants
1st Place: 50%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 5%

32+ Entrants
1st Place: 45%
2nd Place: 25%
4th Place: 8%
5th Place: 3.5%

64+ Entrants
3rd Place: 13%
4th Place: 7%
7th Place: 1.5%

Doubles

Under 16 Teams
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

16-32 Teams
1st Place: 50%
4th Place: 5%

32+ Teams
4th Place: 8%

Food:

York University has two great food courts right by the bus drop-off area, as well as a smaller one in the area through the big cylindrical building, which includes the closest Tim Horton's.

Options include:
Wendy's
Mr. Greek/Jimmy the Greek?
Pizza
Thai Express
Z-Teca Burritos
Falafel Hut

Public Transit Directions:

1. Get on the TTC Subway
2. Go to Downsview Station (upper middle left of the subway map)
3. Take the 196 bus (fast) or 106 (less fast) and get off at York University Commons
4. Walk due North. Through the glass doors, past the basketball court. York has lots of maps and signposts outside which should point you in the direction of Founders College.
5. Once you find Founders College, go through the glass bridge area and you should find a large room emanating with the sounds of sweet, sweet Melee.

The 196 (goes to Downsview Station) and 60c (goes directly between York U and Finch Station) buses run quite late at night.
Check the TTC website to make sure your transit route is still available when the tournament ends.

Parking Options:

There's a parking lot right behind Founders College,
and another in the area west of the basketball court that's between the college and the food courts.

Rules:

Official MBR Ruleset

- Sets are best 2/3
Winners and Losers Semifinals and onward are best 3/5
- No stage bans in best 3/5 sets
- Wobbling is legal for the reasons David gave that one time in the Facebook group
- Master Hand is obviously banned, as are all the various methods of stalling

Stage List:

Singles:
Same as always (see above ruleset link)
Doubles: Kongo Jungle 64 is a counterpick, but Jungle Japes is not

General Rules:

- No illegal substances whatsoever
- Please shower, use deodorant, generally understand basic hygiene
- Bring your own controller; we don't have extras to lend out

Tournament matches always take priority. Please check to make sure you have no possible tournament matches to play before starting any friendlies. I shouldn't have to follow people around and tell them to play their matches, but I will if it comes to that.

Be reasonable about trash talking. Cheer for your friends, but don't boo your enemies.
This hasn't been a problem at all so far, but yeah.

No refunds once you've started playing your tournament matches.

Setups:

We have tons of CRTs and a handful of consoles/games, but more Melee setups are always needed for the everything to run smoothly. Please help support the tournament :)

$2 discount for anyone who brings a Wii/GameCube with Melee. First come, first served.

^ I keep forgetting to get change in a bunch of toonies, so this is also redeemable by getting me to buy you something worth $2 when I go to get food lol

Pls bring Melee discs + GameCubes/Wiis pls

Attendance List:

Errbody

...If you scroll up and down, this page looks like the worst-constructed tower ever

Last edited:

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I usually attend the Brawl tournaments hosted by Blacktwins, but since they dropped PM for mid tier doubles I'll probably come. Can't bring my wii, but I can bring an SD card with 3.0 on it.

idea

Smash Master
Dunno, haven't decided what to do with power rankings yet. KirbyKaze sounded like he had a plan for doing this, if not I can look into it, but I'm probably not the best person since I don't really care about our PR lol

idea

Smash Master
haha, if all the PM players in Toronto are gonna be coming to these from now on then we should definitely look into getting PM its own day...buuut let's see how it goes at the next tourney first.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
PM dropped from Brawl? Man. It's going to be hella crowded at this tourney if that's the case. Hopefully it's not out of hand. We just need to enforce the 'friendlies later, tourney first' stuff.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
Seems like we're going for the same reason. MM you there?

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I'll enter PM singles and Melee dubs. I have the most fraudulent Marth if someone is down for dubz

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
PM players you should consider entering Melee. It won't kill you.
Why would I want to play a boring character in Melee just to have an equal chance of winning when I can go to PM and play a character I actually like and not be fighting from behind the whole match?

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
For those entering PM; can we just give our $5 straight to Camilo? Why make him wait the couple hours? We all know it's inevitable.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
For those entering PM; can we just give our $5 straight to Camilo? Why make him wait the couple hours? We all know it's inevitable.
Because that mentality ensures nobody ever gets better.

Also we need to play out the rest of bracket anyway, as top 3 makes money.

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I'm just foolin, but seriously his spacies too stronk. I'd love to see him play against the American top tiers

xBlitz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AresxBlitz
3DS FC
3583-0912-0374
I'm kidding, but damn. His spacies are amazing to watch & play against, if I could take 2 stocks off him I'd be happy

Engo

Smash Ace
Why would I want to play a boring character in Melee just to have an equal chance of winning when I can go to PM and play a character I actually like and not be fighting from behind the whole match?

If you're not as good as your opponent, don't know how to use your character as well as him/her, and (less importantly)made the decision to use a bad character why shouldn't you be playing from behind the whole match? It's called starting at the bottom and everyone does it.Why does anyone deserve anything otherwise?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
You're not playing from THAT far behind with lower tiered characters. You're definitely not in the advantage in every match up (like you would be with Ivysaur last patch) but I could definitely lose to a Mewtwo. Probably just 1 guy that plays Mewtwo (who did get 13th at Evo going primarily Mewtwo), but still possible. Ryan lost to a Bowser. On paper I promise you that match up is 10-0 and Ryan was/probably still is considered a top 20-30 player in the world. You can get better and beat people in melee; you just suck really badly at Melee and you think you're losing because of Mewtwo so you go to the gimp version of the game where everything is spoon fed to you to make up for huge differences in skill.

idea

Smash Master
guys i think my tooth's chipped what do

srsly?

I actually have a chipped tooth. It's one of my front teeth, too. My dentist put some kind of crazy tooth cement on there and it's been fine ever since. I think I might need to get it redone in like 10 years or something?

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
If you're not as good as your opponent, don't know how to use your character as well as him/her, and (less importantly)made the decision to use a bad character why shouldn't you be playing from behind the whole match? It's called starting at the bottom and everyone does it.Why does anyone deserve anything otherwise?

You're not playing from THAT far behind with lower tiered characters. You're definitely not in the advantage in every match up (like you would be with Ivysaur last patch) but I could definitely lose to a Mewtwo. Probably just 1 guy that plays Mewtwo (who did get 13th at Evo going primarily Mewtwo), but still possible. Ryan lost to a Bowser. On paper I promise you that match up is 10-0 and Ryan was/probably still is considered a top 20-30 player in the world. You can get better and beat people in melee; you just suck really badly at Melee and you think you're losing because of Mewtwo so you go to the gimp version of the game where everything is spoon fed to you to make up for huge differences in skill.
Both of your points are all completely valid, but you're forgetting the most important thing. Having fun. Sure, I could play Marth or Peach or Fox or something in Melee, but I don't really have that much fun with those characters, and I can't have that much fun in Melee with Mewtwo because his options are so limited that I can't really do anything in a match unless my opponent is standing still or just horrible. It's boring. In PM I can play characters that I like (Mewtwo/Roy) and they're also viable! It's WAY more fun that way. That's why I play PM, not because Melee is "too difficult", but because I find the game simply more fun.

Would you pay money to do something you don't enjoy? I wouldn't, so why would I enter Melee?

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
Have you tried other molly characters?
Honestly people saying they don't like melee is just weird. How could anyone not like this game.

I know you're not exactly saying that you dislike melee, that was just on my mind.

Engo

Smash Ace
See that's the thing you don't have to to switch to a better character just get better with Mewtwo and as a player. Haven't you seen the 0-deaths Mewtwo has on spacies? That looks pretty fun,dude

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Have you tried other molly characters?
Honestly people saying they don't like melee is just weird. How could anyone not like this game.

I know you're not exactly saying that you dislike melee, that was just on my mind.
I can play Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth, Puff, Peach, Captain Falcon, Doc, Luigi, Ganon, Mario, Young Link, Ness and Mewtwo to at least some extent other than randomly pressing buttons and hoping things happen.

And you're right, I'm not saying I dislike Melee at all, and I would gladly sit down and play friendlies with people if they wanted. I just don't enjoy paying money to either play a character that I don't enjoy, or have to work 10 times as hard as everyone else does in order to get the same results.

See that's the thing you don't have to to switch to a better character just get better with Mewtwo and as a player. Haven't you seen the 0-deaths Mewtwo has on spacies? That looks pretty fun,dude
Those 0-Deaths definitely are fun, but the fact still remains that just to get that first grab/hit and start the combo I need to massively outwork and outplay my opponent. I would much rather enter PM and be on even footing with my opponent, than pay to have a disadvantage in all my matches when I enter Melee.

Like I said before though, I'm still happy to play friendlies with people if they want to play me for whatever reason, I'm just not willing to pay money for tournament matches I don't enjoy playing.

SSB_Hello

Smash Apprentice
i love both games.

fox shines and lollipops.

I love melee for the game that it is. It's set in motion and you're constantly needing to be the better of the two your facing. So many things that you need to know, and react to quick.

I love PM because of the character rooster, and I, was a smash baby. I started on Brawl. Playing the characters from that game, then applying the things I learn/continue to learn from melee is rewarding.

I think both people have a mindset about the other's game, but at the end of the day. Yeah, have fun. But don't john about the game being hard or unfun. Because the same people consider the other to be unfun as well.

Engo

Smash Ace
Lol I have so much I wanna say but I'll leave it at that. I encourage PM players to enter melee and get a deeper understanding of the game that made people wanna make PM in the first place.

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
I dont bash someone for liking pm over melee i just dont understand it. Melee is the perfect game i dont get how someone can like its imperfect sequel more than it.

Balance wise i think both games have TRULY viable/unviable characters. Balance in melee imo is infinitely better than the balance in pm.

To me it feels like since pm was not an accident like melee, direct answers to moves/situations are programmed into the game which it makes it feel less creative and more limited in terms of what you realistically could/should do. There are moves that are literally designed to beat other moves (DKs dash attack vs falco's laser) and whether that balances the game or not it removes one of the coolest things about this game, which is the ability to create answers to situations ON YOUR OWN, which is what i thought makes a good player: finding new uses for moves, not just memorizing when to use move A which beats move B. Though i do like pm for what it is; its not a bad game. But as someone whos learned how to play almost every character at (arguably) a decent level, id rather play melee any day for reasons of balance/fun/creativity

Edit: not tryna bash it for the record. I do think its a sick effort and a good result overall, just i really think melee is better for reasons beyond it requiring more technical skill to play

I also do get that some ppl just like new pm chars more than anyone in melee, but yea

idea

Smash Master
it's funny, a lot of people start playing melee and feel exactly the same way as you. a lot of newcomers play weaker characters just out of preference. but their response is usually to switch to a better character in melee rather than to another game :p although PM has only come out recently, so i wonder how many of those people would have gone to PM had they had the chance years ago.

Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
it's funny, a lot of people start playing melee and feel exactly the same way as you. a lot of newcomers play weaker characters just out of preference. but their response is usually to switch to a better character in melee rather than to another game :p although PM has only come out recently, so i wonder how many of those people would have gone to PM had they had the chance years ago.
Yeah I'm not the kinda jerk that would give up on his character.

Imagine how all those poor, abandoned characters feel? It's simply heartbreaking :c

Top Bottom