• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee ice climbers, R.I.P

cloudz

Smash Journeyman
I miss you.

I miss the way you wavedash,
I miss the way you downsmash.
I miss the way i could waveland into jabs and follow after that.
I miss smashing sheik in the face with a hammer during every d-throw chaingrab.
I miss your backairs and how they were quick after I L cancelled them.
I miss the way i felt when i chaingrabbed somebody, knowing that they COULD di out, but didn't
I miss the way i never used your d-tilt
I miss the way i could send nana FLYING across the level with a blizzard
I miss CLOUDZ combo
I miss how good D-air worked on floaty characters
I miss your Over B recovery, and how i had no mindgames with it.
I miss desynching you, and wavedashing across the level with ice blocks
I miss the way you edgeguarded so well with your smashes
I miss wobbling my friends when they pissed me off.
I miss your neutral air not being that good.
I miss replying to threads, pretending like i knew what i was talking about.
I miss hating all your other stupid colors.
I miss my first chaingrab at a Local tournament, and everyone freaking out.
I miss calling you my iceys
I miss pausing the game while playing Bowser, laughing at how tiny i was compared to him, and still kicking his ***.
I miss grabbing and blowing a huge arctic wind in my opponents face.
I miss nanas Horrible AI, and getting lucky when she smashes.

You made me so comfortable with smash. you brought me INTO the smash world. You are the reason i learned all my advanced techs. You are the reason i am where i am today.

and i know that nobody will read this, and thats why im so comfortable writing to you. Once this thread dies. You will die with it. I wanted to pay my respects and thank you for all you have done for me. We stuck through thick and thin and i never would of wanted it with anybody else<3

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I almost thought it was going to be a poem at first, the way the first couple lines rhymed. And wow @ HCM posting. You must've struck some hidden chord there, Cloudz. Good ****. We should all write what we miss the most...

I miss the real Maroon and Off White, and the way everone used to diss me for using it.
I miss killing with upB and ppl going "I've never see that before". Good **** guys, good ****.
I miss WD to utilt, and how it was actually useful cuz it out-prioritized almost everything, even though I used it way too much and ended up getting punished for it more than not.
I miss messing up Lcancels b/c of your two shields.
I miss Fthrow to Nana spike off the ledge.
I miss the way you moved, I miss the way your grooved. :(

RIP buddies...

PB&J

Smash Hero
trail whats goodie...im still playing melee out here trying to beast..my nana just evolved recently so icy's are still in affect...brawl will not take over just keep the hope

FooXero

Smash Cadet
Oh the Ice Climbers... yet to me they aren't dead. Yes they may not wave dash and have soooooo many mind games... I miss that. but to me they aren't dead. Their chain grabs are still as real as ever. The throw to spike is as deadly as ever. And last and definitely not least, they are as cute as ever. <3 Nana

Binx

Smash Master
I miss you Ice Climbers T.T

I miss wavedashes
I miss combos
I miss tech chases
I miss platform wavelands
I miss having to think
I miss getting pwned by Marth and Fox

Woot 2000 posts

WooICYU

Smash Journeyman
Naa, I think there are a lot of people who just read the threads and are too lazy to post, like myself =]

Teba94

Smash Rookie
IC Help?

I need some advice how to play with IC. Like how i keep Nana alive long or something like that.

Usually my problem is that I try to make really much damage and then at the 200% i try to get the opponent out. So i need to stop that becase it is waste of time and i want to get the opponent out soon as possible. So what i should do or what moves i should make or use?

-Teba94

And IC melee players rock!

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
If you're waiting until 200, that's definitely too long. Your best moves are your smashes (all powerful, all KOing beneath 140 on any level but Dreamland), b-air and u-air. Your f-air can get the job done but it's unreliable for KOs.

When your Nana is alive and you grab the opponent at 100 percent or higher, the opponent should die. D-throw into charged up-smash will make good work of any floaty character on any stage, and down-throw into charged forward-smash against fast fallers.

Try these:

1) Play with your ICs facing backwards. This lets you wavedash back and forth while preparing to land b-air. At any time you can turn around and grab and you can still roll away into de-syncs. Your d-smash also begins behind you, so this makes that move faster as well.

2) Wavedash into your forward-tilt. It's really fast, has good range, and at higher percents it's a low-risk maneuver for pushing the enemy off the level where you can try to edgeguard.

3) Use lots of blizzards! If it puts the opponent into an iceblock, they pop into the air which gives you the chance to land your up-air for a KO.

Your Nana is harder and harder to keep alive because she never gets smarter even when you do; all you can do is gain experience learning her AI. A good way to do that is practice *against* her in training mode or as a level 1 computer, and you'll figure out efficient ways to gimp her.

The first trick for keeping her *alive* is light shielding. The ICs get hit through their shield a lot, and if you get split up good opponents will capitalize on it. Light-shielding helps defeat shield pressure.

Second, try to control the center of the level as much as possible. Being near the edge gets you shined, tippered, and d-smashed in bad bad ways. Nana can very easily get taken out by these moves.

Last, learn when you can up+b and forward+b to save her life. It's useless if you get your Nana back and then both get KO'ed; sometimes you can capitalize on them attacking her and get a stock, which is usually worth the trade (unless you're way behind in lives). It's also important you know when you even *can* save her so you don't both die.

I hope that helps?

Top Bottom