• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Melee, Hacks, and You -- New Hackers Start Here, in the OP!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
is it possible to add invincibility frames to moves?

what about giving characters more aerial momentum or changing jump speed?
an answer would still be appreciated

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
it's most likely possible, just hasn't been figured out yet... :/
so has the only thing that has been figured out so far been audio and visual hacks?

not actual physics change?

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
yeah you guys are really jumping the gun with that "balance" thread. It's nice to see discussion and i'm sure it will be appreciated once this kind of stuff will be able to be edited. but don't expect anything big like what you guys are suggesting withing the next .....decade. with pessimism you're always happy with the result. yay

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yeah you guys are really jumping the gun with that "balance" thread. It's nice to see discussion and i'm sure it will be appreciated once this kind of stuff will be able to be edited. but don't expect anything big like what you guys are suggesting withing the next .....decade. with pessimism you're always happy with the result. yay
decade? lol, do you realize how many people said it'd be impossible to hack brawl so that we could change animation into something else smooth?

look how far we've came in like a year and a half of hard core hacking

Magus420

Smash Master
68 is the body state command.

68000000 - Normal
68000001 - Invulnerable (can be hit but it has no effect on you. used on respawn inv and yoshi's shield)
68000002 - Intangible (can't be hit. used on just about everything else)

nube

Smash Apprentice
my hacked ISO keeps freezing
Do you check to see if your ISO freezes in Dolphin? If it freezes in Dolphin, it will freeze on your wii. It's VERY rare that it will run in dolphin but freeze on your wii.

In either case, one of your files has a problem with messed up hex. If this is only a recent issue, then it's one of the recent files that you GC-Tool'd into your ISO.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
there was a DBZ brawl...
but it was different by quite a bit...

the chars in those vids were 'Supers'
the ones in DBZ brawl are 'Extremes'

check out 'SSBB Extreme chars' on YT

Pi

Smash Hero
Question about GCN/Wii SD Media Launcher
I want to play hacked melee iso's on my gamecube

If i buy the GCN/Wii SD Media Launcher 2gb pack from codejunkies

once I get that, what do I need?
am i going to need homebrew/GC backup launcher on that SD card?

Or do I just put the hacked melee ISO onto the card?

also do I have to have a copy of melee on that little disc that GC reads?
Do the version of the disc & the version of the iso on the card have to match? (version 1.0/1.1/1.2 of melee)

oh i am watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB9KMXAWxLI right now...
i'll edit if i have any questions left

Steelia

Smash Champion
Do the version of the disc & the version of the iso on the card have to match? (version 1.0/1.1/1.2 of melee)
I don't know. I know the Melee I've got is v1.2, and the custom Melee I have floating around is also v1.2... I haven't downloaded anyone's yet, I should probably do that and run a test, assuming their Melee's a different version from mine.

GodFed

Smash Apprentice
Okay. I sortof updated the first post. It's a half-update.

I added Magus' hitbox information and nube's Fox/Falco information, but that's it. The fact that we have a new subforum is starting to mess with me, and I'm not sure about the direction in which to take this thread.

Should this thread be an all-encompassing hacking resource? Or a starting point for first time hackers? It's the main hacking thread for Melee, so it's where all the news and updates happen, so I'm leaning toward the first option (all-encompassing thread). But I know that there are other resources for more specific hacks, like the Audio hack thread and the Texture hack thread, so I'm a bit hesitant to have this be the big go-to guide for hacking. I'm feeling great about the discussions going on here, I'm just unsure about what to have on the first post. Give me some feedback, please.

I know I've been pretty flaky with being around the past few months, but my life is finally settling down, and I'm ready to get back into Melee hacking. I'm probably going to focus on character hacking in the future, and making random programs here and there.

Speaking of programs, I'll upload the ones I've written tomorrow, once I comment the source code.

Steelia

Smash Champion
^ As far as I'm concerned, I still go to this topic when I have questions for... anything, texture, audio, what have you. Posts on stage alterations and such, I would still share here, too. There ARE divided topics, of course, but because we didn't anticipate a subforum... well, this topic's an exception, to say the least. I guess this one could more become a Q&A topic, or the topic that covers everything for those too lazy to check out each individually. :p

Also, GodFed, your tpl_insert is a TIME SAVER. THANK you for it. I don't know why I couldn't figure it out earlier, it's saved me so much hex copy-pasting. :'D

nube

Smash Apprentice
I guess this thread should continue to be where we post discoveries. And what do you guys think about having a thread just for technical difficulties, so it doesn't interfere with this thread?

@ above: I thought the newest wiis couldn't read burned disks anyways?

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
I wish to know if there is a way to replace one of the menu's with the debug menu so it is unnecessary to use an action replay?

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
And what do you guys think about having a thread just for technical difficulties, so it doesn't interfere with this thread?
hmm...
that'd be a more "behind the scenes" thread for me :/

heh...
I'm always having those :p

but once I finish something, I could post it here... (notification)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
(hearsay) I heard the new Wii's can, but you need to use some Lego Indiana Jones method...
new wii drives cannot read burned discs.

however, you can still set them up to read off of USB and the like.

which means no GC.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
ugh those beeeeeeeeeeeeeps are gonna make me think it froze every time

[for the SD media launcher lol]
Try retro melee opening and 8-bit remix menu theme of melee to cover it up, that is what I did :D (For the menus anyway, not once you select something.)

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i was reading thru some information on this page: http://meleestages.webfreehosting.net/m_data.html

for the 40/C0 chart, i figured out something about the subtract values. C2 80's subtract is equal to 256*32-8, C3 00's subtract is equal to 256*80-16 and C3 80's subtract is equal to 256*192-32.

I'm not sure yet what the pattern between the multiply value is, but i would guess the next sub-subtract would be 64. Can anyone confirm this or provide more data?

edit,
if you go by base 128 instead of 256 and ignore the sub-subtraction, the order is
128*2^2
128*2^3
128*2^3*3
128*2^6
128*2^5*5
128*2^7*3

edit2,
multiplying out the 128, they are also equivalent to
2^9
2^10
2^10*3
2^13
2^12*5
2^14*3

if i had more data points im sure i could find a pattern.

edit 3,
The more I think about it the less likely such a round-about solution seems plausable. There is probably something more to the 4/C than we are paying attention to. Gonna look at the numbers in bit form to see if anything jumps out at me.

edit 4,
Well i understand the 4/C/0 now. Its just a flagging system. First bit is pos/neg, 2nd is likely for graphing type, and afaik the other bits are unused. If someone wants to test replacing the 0 with an 8 (should flip the object over), that would support this theory.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
ok... you know what...
here's my template for the dat format... :glare:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE binary_file_format SYSTEM "BinaryFileFormat.dtd">
<binary_file_format name="DAT" type_name="" comment="" expr="" default_byte_order="big" default_read_only="false" default_char_set="ansi">
 <define_struct type_name="node" comment="" expr=""><data type="int" name="root_offset" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="string_offset" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
  <jump offset="string_offset + hdr.reloc_tbl + (hdr.num_offsets*4) + (hdr.num_nodes*8) + 32" comment="" origin="start">
   <data type="string" name="name" format="ascii" display=""/>
  </jump>
  <jump offset="root_offset + 32" comment="" origin="start">
   <data type="none" name="tmp" len="4"/>
  </jump>
 </define_struct>
 <define_struct type_name="data_offset" comment="" expr="">
  <data type="int" name="data" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
 </define_struct>
 <struct name="hdr" type_name="" comment="" expr="">
  <data type="int" name="file_size" format="unsigned" len="4" display="" domain="this &gt; 0"/>
  <data type="int" name="reloc_tbl" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="num_offsets" format="signed" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="num_nodes" format="signed" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="unk1" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="unk2" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
  <data type="int" name="pad1" format="unsigned" len="4" display="hex"/>
  <data type="int" name="pad2" format="unsigned" len="4" display="hex"/>
 </struct>
 <jump offset="hdr.reloc_tbl + 32" comment="" origin="start">
  <struct name="reloc_tbl" type_name="" comment="" expr="">
   <for name="data_offset" count="hdr.num_offsets || hdr.num_offsets - 1" stop_test="hdr.num_offsets == 0" type_name="" comment="">
    <struct name="offset" type_name="" comment="" expr="">
     <data type="int" name="offset" format="unsigned" len="4" display=""/>
     <jump offset="offset + 32" comment="" origin="start">
      <data type="none" name="tmp" len="4"/>
     </jump>
    </struct>
   </for>
   <for name="node_offset" count="hdr.num_nodes || hdr.num_nodes - 1" stop_test="hdr.num_nodes == 0" type_name="" comment="">
    <use_struct name="node" expr="{this.name}" type_name="node" comment=""/>
   </for>
  </struct>
 </jump>
 <data type="none" name="none"/>
</binary_file_format>
since I can't seem to get it to go farther than taking you to the relocation offsets,
and am getting no help in getting further, if anyone else can get it, I'd appreciate it...

but until then, don't expect dat to be an importable format on my converter :glare:

EDIT:
forgot to give the directions...
you'll need HexEdit to use it...
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=11656041&postcount=2778

copy the template and paste it in:
C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\Application Data\ECSoftware\HexEdit\_dat.xml
and open a SSBM dat file in HexEdit...

now, the template doesn't initiate automatically :/
when you open the dat,
go to 'view'-'template'-'split window'
and be sure to turn the auto sync on as well (looklike 3 red arrows "back, forth, back")

also, be sure to R-Click on 'DAT' and select 'Allow Editing'

voorhese

Smash Master
i recently saw something on SRK that claimed to be a mix between SSB and SF (not character wise, but gameplay wise)
and that got me thinking that having super meter would be the **** in melee, cuz it would be like smashballs, but not random like smashballs... doubt we will get anywhere near close enough to make something like that happen, but it sounds kool.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
i recently saw something on SRK that claimed to be a mix between SSB and SF (not character wise, but gameplay wise)
and that got me thinking that having super meter would be the **** in melee, cuz it would be like smashballs, but not random like smashballs... doubt we will get anywhere near close enough to make something like that happen, but it sounds kool.
not for a long time anyways :/

I'm studying both the brawl and melee iso's...
I'll be able to do anything with them once I finish :3 *gloating*

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Tcll do you have contact information outside of smashboards? like AIM, Skype, ect?
I don't use anything that's really well known and talked about... (like AIM, Skype, MSN, etc...)
I do have my website though: http://tcll5850.webfreehosting.net
and I have Google-chat...
^if you want speedy convos...
else I have:
KCMM
my forum
emutalk
and a buncha other places :/

GawdImFoxy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not gonna read 200 pages of nonsense to see if any of this has already been asked, so pardon my rudeness.

How long, on average, would it take for someone with slim to no hacking experience to hack Melee?
Is there anyone on YIM/MSN/AIM that would be willing to walk me through any questions I may have? And by that, I, of course, mean walk me through the whole process.
Is there like a "catch-all" file or something of the like that has everything complicated already completed?

Thanks guys.

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
I'm not gonna read 200 pages of nonsense to see if any of this has already been asked, so pardon my rudeness.

How long, on average, would it take for someone with slim to no hacking experience to hack Melee?
Is there anyone on YIM/MSN/AIM that would be willing to walk me through any questions I may have? And by that, I, of course, mean walk me through the whole process.
Is there like a "catch-all" file or something of the like that has everything complicated already completed?

Thanks guys.
I have my site in my last post if you have any Q's ;)

but yea... I'd have to say, about an hour at most...

Tcll

Smash Lord
NNID
Tcll5850
Even though the only thing I've ever hacked was limbs off a tree? Looks like a lot of reading to me. That, alone, might take more than an hour. :s
eh... hacking is extremely easy as a matter of fact :p
I actually learned in 5 mins how to do simple hacks ;)
then again, I've been good at computers for quite a while XD

Top Bottom