• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee expected to be added to MLG Anaheim

Smashboards

18 years old!
Administrator
Premium
Writing Team
UPDATE: Adam Apicella says that "Anaheim will be smashing good time. I hope to see all of you there; Scrambling to get all details for all games together for Wednesday."

Major League Gaming, the longest running eSports organization in North America, is expected to announce the inclusion of Super Smash Brothers Melee at their Anaheim tournament this June 20-22, 2014. Adam Apicella, EVP of MLG Properties, tweeted several times last week hinting at the news. MLG has been supporting the Smash scene on-and-off for nearly a decade. From 2004-2006, Smash Melee was often featured at their tournaments. In 2007, the league supported 4 grassroots tournaments, and in 2010, they featured Smash Brawl on their Pro Circuit. That year, Brawl players saw guaranteed prize pools of $7,500 at regular events and over $35,000 at the National Championship in Dallas, TX. The allure of these potential gigantic prize pools separates MLG from other tournaments, like EVO, that typically only contribute what competitors put into prizes.

Early on Friday, June 7th, Apicella let Smashers know they were interested in adding Melee at the Anaheim tournament.

Major League Gaming, along with EVO, have publicly been stating that their organizations have been in talks with Nintendo about adding Smash to their events. After Super Smash Brothers incredible 2013, including briefly holding the record for most watching fighting game stream of all time, eSports organizations have been more interested than ever in the series. Just this past weekend, Revival of Melee 7 reached over 20,000 concurrent viewers on Twitch during the finals between Mango and Mew2King. The news of a potential breakthrough came late on Friday from Apicella.

While an official announcement from Major League Gaming is likely still days away as they finalize all the details, this series of tweets essentially points to all-but-officially-confirmed details about Smashes inclusion in the Anaheim tournament. Major League Gaming is looking to shatter the 696 attendance record that was set by EVO 2013, and if the details for their tournament are confirmed before EVO 2014, they may have a chance as players will need to choose between MLG Anaheim, CEO 2014, and EVO 2014. Still unknown are how a series of grassroots qualifiers, already underway, will play into the series. So far there are several announced MLG grassroots qualifiers:

There are rumors of additional tournaments, including on the West Coast and in Europe, as part of the grassroots qualifier program. Whether MLG will support players with travel awards or similar accommodation remains to be seen. Additionally, players will be watching closely to see what tournament rules are used at MLG Anaheim - will Nintendo force what stages can be used to protect their intellectual property? What characters? Will items need to be on? While there are still many questions, this latest series of 'pre-announcements' is the most hope Melee has had to be included in a major event this summer after the shocking announcement by EVO organizers that it had not yet secured the game.

Other questions also remain - will only Super Smash Brothers Melee be featured? Brawl? Both? Does Project M have any hope of inclusion at the tournament? ...Will they find 50 CRT TVs?

Last edited by a moderator:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Adam, you ****teasing fool, I love you.

considering how positive it's been for MLG I now have more hopes for EVO.

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
Melee will be added. Such great news. Now stupid people can stop saying smash isn't a fighting game. Sadly Project M probably never will be added due to the fact that it is mod of Brawl and Nintendo would never be cool with that.

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
This is exactly what the community needs is this kind of gigantic exposure. I am super excited if this will be as big as it seems it will be.

We saw what happened at RoM. 2014 shall be the year of the lower tiers. Bring it on.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Don't get me wrong, I like watching Melee as much as the next guy, but for me the bigger news is that Nintendo is in talks with people about this sort of thing at all. Gives me hope that if Smash 4 ends up being a game that the community gets behind, Nintendo might be open to allowing it to appear in events like these.

At any rate, I'm hyped to see some great Melee matches.

Eskelsen

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eskelsen
Don't get me wrong, I like watching Melee as much as the next guy, but for me the bigger news is that Nintendo is in talks with people about this sort of thing at all. Gives me hope that if Smash 4 ends up being a game that the community gets behind, Nintendo might be open to allowing it to appear in events like these.

At any rate, I'm hyped to see some great Melee matches.
My thoughts exactly, well said. Although I still love me some melee.

Last edited:

PandaJaws

Smash Rookie
I believe we are seeing a true come back. Finally we will see a game that we all know and love being recognized as a competitive game by big companies again. Melee lives on! Melee for life!

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
MLG Anaheim, isn't that the same MLG Anaheim that had the crowd going nuts after Ken defeated PC Chris?

Top Bottom